Thoughts on taking your (Moderna) booster just 2 days before your cruise?

DHLuCruise

I know that full effectiveness won't kick in right away but we have an opportunity to get a booster two days before our cruise.  We happen to be on Anthem -- Dec 24th. (To answer your question before you ask that is truly our only opportunity to get it. The story why is irrelevant to my post).  We really want to get boosted before getting on the ship if we can.

For those of you that have taken the booster, would you say that is a risky move? I'm asking about how long the side effects last that could impact the onboard health check. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I just felt hung over with a sore arm but I know others who felt worse. Are you traveling those two days? It could be hard if you feel like you just want to lay down and nap. I would really try and find someplace to get it sooner.

• Like 3

My husband (physician) had his Modena booster on Friday afternoon.  He spiked a fever Saturday into Sunday and generally spent the weekend on the living room couch. Felt bad enough, he home Covid antigen tested.  Still wasn’t 100% for work on Monday.

I had my Pfizer booster Sunday and spiked a 104 fever Monday night. Just feeling mostly better Wednesday, although I still have some swollen lymph nodes in my armpit (known side effect).  In your situation I’m not sure what I would do.

Edited by Jkaczanowski
  • Like 1

Did you have any side effects from the first 2 shots? If so, you may not have any problems with the third. We had Pfizer for the first two with no aftereffects. Had Moderna for the booster, and other than a sore arm, had no problems at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, Coralc said:

Did you have any side effects from the first 2 shots? If so, you may not have any problems with the third. We had Pfizer for the first two with no aftereffects. Had Moderna for the booster, and other than a sore arm, had no problems at all. 

My first dose of Moderna was nothing at all. Second dose was chills and flu like symptoms for about 12-18 hours but went away quickly after that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

I just felt hung over with a sore arm but I know others who felt worse. Are you traveling those two days? It could be hard if you feel like you just want to lay down and nap. I would really try and find someplace to get it sooner.

Unfortunately I will most likely be driving. So yeah.

15 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

Sounds like I'm taking on a fair bit of risk ? Any way to power through it or I guess I'm stuck....?

We wouldn't know Lu. It is kind of a gamble, but I can understand why you would want to get boosted before sailing. But this is coming from someone who didn't have any effects. Here's a chart without the pretty colors. I would imagine that ibuprofen would probably help. But that is just me, I'm not a medical person. 

COVID-19 vaccine side effects for booster shots

SIDE EFFECT MODERNA BOOSTER PFIZER BOOSTER J&J BOOSTER
Injection site reaction
81%
81%
70%
70%
25%
25%
Fatigue
61%
61%
51%
51%
15%
15%
Muscle aches
50%
50%
36%
36%
21%
21%
Headache
50%
50%
38%
38%
19%
19%
Fever
36%
36%
22%
22%
6%
6%
Joint pain
33%
33%
23%
23%
17%
17%
Chills
31%
31%
18%
18%
8%
8%
Nausea
19%
19%
14%
14%
8%
8%
Diarrhea
10%
10%
9%
9%
8%
8%
Abdominal pain
8%
8%
6%
6%
4%
4%
Rash
2%
2%
2%
2%
4%
4%
Vomiting
2%
2%
1%
1%
2%
2%
Edited by Coralc
  • Thanks 2

Ask if you can receive it a few days earlier. I know that was allowed here, for receiving the 2nd dose. I got the Moderna booster and my 65plus flu shot at the same time and felt chills and achy that night and just tired the next day .

• Like 1

I reacted badly to the first Moderna shot, but it lasted only 24 hours.  Less side effects after the second shot, also for 24 hours.  The day after the booster, all of my joints ached (elbows, wrists, ankles, knees, etc).  I would have been miserable if I had to drive.  

After my booster on a Friday, I felt like I skipped the symptoms I had from my second dose from hours 18-36 and just went straight to feeling ICKY......nausea and weakness all over....all weekend....I too wouldn’t want to be traveling during those days....

5 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

Sounds like I'm taking on a fair bit of risk ? Any way to power through it or I guess I'm stuck....?

If Dr Tam had her way you’d be getting the shot and staying home. Make the decision that works for you.

If was me I’d be taking it and not be stuck in the 18 plus and 3 month group which opens for booking this Monday in Ontario which might be your alternative if you wait.  Going on a cruise to me would be secondary in relation to the shot, a very close secondary. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

My first dose of Moderna was nothing at all. Second dose was chills and flu like symptoms for about 12-18 hours but went away quickly after that.

Moderna booster is half the dose of the second shot.

Personally, my reaction to the booster was consistent with that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If was me I’d be taking it and not be stuck in the 18 plus and 3 month group which opens for booking this Monday in Ontario which might be your alternative if you wait

This. I wish the timing was slightly different for the shot in Ontario but I have no way to get it before the cruise.

I have the opportunity to get the shot near Buffalo on my drove down. The 22nd (Wed) before the cruise on Friday. Hence my conundrum.  If I could get the shot sooner trust me I would.

6 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

I know that full effectiveness won't kick in right away but we have an opportunity to get a booster two days before our cruise.  We happen to be on Anthem -- Dec 24th. (To answer your question before you ask that is truly our only opportunity to get it. The story why is irrelevant to my post).  We really want to get boosted before getting on the ship if we can.

For those of you that have taken the booster, would you say that is a risky move? I'm asking about how long the side effects last that could impact the onboard health check. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Truthfully, if you can get it today, I'd do that rather then wait until next week.  Here's why using myself as an example.  I had Moderna last year and was pretty sick after my 2nd shot.  I got the booster 2 weeks ago.  I started feeling symptoms 24 hours after booster which, if you look it up, is pretty common for anyone who received Moderna and had a reaction to 2nd shot.  I didn't start feeling better until 3 days post shot.  I have zero health issues, in my 50's, very active and had a fever and bad headache.  Symptoms were relieved with ibuprofen but still.  So bottom line:  get it earlier!!

just read through and see you can't get it earlier.  In that case, I'd stock up on the ibuprofen and tylenol.  Also want to add my arm was really sore as well.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

You're in a tough spot. I sailed through the first two shots (Moderna), but the booster took me out for 24 hours. That blew me away ... after all, it's a half dose ... but it had quite a kick.

I had a cruise scheduled the week after I was eligible for the booster, so I waited till after it to get the shot. But with what I'm hearing about how contagious omnicron is, I wouldn't want to be facing this decision now.

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you.

Thank you. I am still leaning towards doing the shot and thinking about what I can do to mitigate the crumminess.  (Tylenol,advil,eat very light and basic the days around the shot,drink a lot of water,etc).

I'm just worried about whether having a temperature will deny me boarding. If I feel crummy I can deal with that, it's what if I still have a slight temperature two days later. I guess that's what Tylenol is for....