The Daily for Friday December 17, 2021

richwmn

Since I see that there have been no pix of Hualien posted yet, I'll add some. Once again, this is from our 2014 Diamond Princess 27 day cruise.

First is our welcome to the port. We went on a tour and visited an amazing marble factory. The sizes and intricate work were amazing, well, may not so much on Mickey Mouse, but he had to be included of  course.

Then a picture of a shrine which we passed on our way to the Taroko Gorge. the gorge was rather interesting, but I don't really remember a lot of the history.

Arriving in Hualien (2).JPG

Marble factory (1).JPG

Marble factory (2).JPG

Marble factory (5).JPG

Marble factory (7).JPG

Marble factory (8).JPG

Shrine.JPG

Taroko Gorge Excursion (28).JPG

Taroko Gorge Excursion (42).JPG

Taroko Gorge Excursion (62).JPG

Taroko Gorge Excursion (63).JPG

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good morning!  I'm never at the computer in the morning, but while there, today, I decided to check the Daily on the big screen.  I have been reading every day, but not posting for not being able to do so on my phone.  I have been able to post on Roll Calls, on the computer, so I'll see if this works, today. 

We are planning to be onboard Rotterdam VII from Jan. 9th - 29th, a 14 day and 6 day back to back.  There have been several itinerary changes, so the Ship is becoming the main itinerary, which is fine by me.  Thanks to Rich and Roy for the Daily, and to all who post each day.  I hope this time I can get onboard again.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Cold here this morning. I do have a couple of ugly Christmas sweaters and have broken them out for day wear. It is 13F now, with the sun shinning brightly. Little Bandit told he wanted a long walk this  morning but I convinced him to wait.

Got an email from one of my nieces.... my brother's eldest daughter. She and her husband and kids will be in Durango on Monday. I have never met them. I am now racing about getting the house a bit straight and dusted. They have made reservations at a motel, thankfully. This certainly livens things up. Just hope the weather cooperates. Will be nice to meet them.

I love Maple Syrup but should not indulge. I also like pineapple and rice. Actually, right now I think I would love anything that I don't have to fix.

Sending best wishes to all on the prayer list. This is just such a hard time for so many people.

Susan

• Like 26

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

The Rotterdam sailing January 16. The replacement is an overnight in Willemstad, Curacao. Aruba moved the US to Red status on December 3 which requires testing 2/3 days before entry besides being fully vaccinated.

The reason I ask is because we are due in Aruba tomorrow.. I just asked an officer and he checked his itinerary and it still shows Aruba. Perhaps things could change today.. Who knows! 

• Like 13

Good morning, all!  Made it at least to page 3, so I should be proud of myself for getting up early(ish)...  Little Miss Camilla is gorgeous and looks like a happy girl.  Hoping for some good news for Tana and Jacqui and Jose.  Sounds like Roy is doing alright with his treatments.  I spoke with my doctor yesterday to refill a prescription, he is just back from Mexico and had a wonderful time, and my PCC emailed me that she is just back from the Nieuw Statendam  and had a great cruise.  Now I will get her to get us a verandah on the Rotterdam in '23.  

I think Canada is going to be shutting down again, numbers are spiking, and omicron is taking over.  Lots of cases at the university here after the rugby team travelled.  It is so annoying!  Tests are not available here, although they are being distributed in Ontario, and I think that is going to be the next best way to keep this virus in check.  Knowledge is power...  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

It is a beautiful sunny day here. The temperature is +12C or 54F and my little buddy Kamikaze came for his daily treat.

He got the name as he hates Blue jays and Crow’s and he has been known to dive-bomb them from the branches when they are trying to steal “his” peanuts.

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

The information in the initial post for today on the Zuiderdam's location is incorrect.  Cruise mapper shows her off the coast of Mexico, not in San Diego.  I have heard she is actually on a 2-night test cruise before resuming sailing for real.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday. I was out the door early today, DM had a hair appointment and we are now getting pedicures. Then it’s lunch somewhere. I’m craving Mexican food, what’s new?, so maybe I can talk her into Casa Del Rio. They are very proud that Gary Shandling went there and proudly display his picture at the cash register. He grew up here and went to college at the University of Arizona. 

So much happening on the Daily today. We often have fried rice for dinner. I make it as an entree and add a protein to it and also a little bacon. I’ve made it with pineapple but it’s not my favorite. 

It was very chilly this morning 🥶, our low was 34, brrrrr. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and @dfish recipes confirm.  Interestingly I tried a pineapple rice salad with dinner last night and I thought it very good.  My sister sent me a message that our DM fell in a parking lot and broke her arm.  She is keeping me updated and I’ll check in with DM when we get home.  Having the disembarkation talk in an hour.

Yesterday while on the balcony I saw a cat.  I am missing my kids and will give them treats and hugs when I’m home.

image.png.63b373ce099d117892ba35bca61b4fe6.png

I'm really sorry to hear your mam had a fall and broke her arm.

I hope she is comfortable and has little or no pain.

Graham.

• Like 13

Good afternoon all, I had the nerve test and all looks good,Whatever is causing the hand cramping is not that. I asked if it could be arthritis and he said possibly. 
At least I could understand this Dr.  They will continue to look for other things.

The suggestion to wear loose clothing was pointless as I was given a gown , just more inconsistency.

Have a good rest of the day ❤️

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

I run a humidifier in there at night

In Skykomish we use a de-humidifier often because the air is so moist. At times we are taking about five gallons of water out of the air per day, just to make it bearable.

• Like 11

Good morning and thanks all! 
I too needed this lovely photo!  Our government has reimposed the worldwide travel warning so our insurance is negated, so facing another long cold winter.

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to all.Thanks for our Daily Rich and our lists,Roy.The food and beverage  departments are wonderful as well.

Maple syrup is a little hard to find but I notice some in everyone's  cart when the shelves are restocked. My brothers wore rely hideous sweaters for Christmas  each year.My nephew continues the tradition by wearing grandpa's awful sweater in his Dad's  honor.

It has been a difficult  week here and we await news from Tana's  new doctor. The dogs,as usual serve as cheerleaders and keep us laughing.

We are re thinking our plans to travel to NH for Christmas  with DS and family.As I was trying  not to be upset, my DSIL sent me a picture of Camilla.Oh my.

6444.jpeg

@Vict0riann  we have been provided rapid tests today but my understanding is they are not foolproof.  You can test negative in the morning and by the evening be positive.  So I think testing needs to be done immediately prior to any meeting.  
this Omicron is apparently 70 times more infectious. So upgrade to an N 95 mask and stay Safe!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Torquer said:

The information in the initial post for today on the Zuiderdam's location is incorrect.  Cruise mapper shows her off the coast of Mexico, not in San Diego.  I have heard she is actually on a 2-night test cruise before resuming sailing for real.

Thank you & welcome to the Daily!

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon all, I had the nerve test and all looks good,Whatever is causing the hand cramping is not that. I asked if it could be arthritis and he said possibly. 
At least I could understand this Dr.  They will continue to look for other things.

The suggestion to wear loose clothing was pointless as I was given a gown , just more inconsistency.

Have a good rest of the day ❤️

Good news, though it would be great to know the cause. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Lots of cases at the university here after the rugby team travelled.  It is so annoying!  Tests are not available here, although they are being distributed in Ontario, and I think that is going to be the next best way to keep this virus in check.  Knowledge is power...  

The rugby tournament has spread cases from coast to coast. Some of the Queen's students have behaved badly, having street parties of thousands of people, overturning cars, so it is no wonder the cases are high.  Kingston has the highest case numbers in Canada.  

Test kits are being distributed in Ontario, but only in specific places.  None near where I live. And anywhere they are being given out, there are huge line ups.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

P1000597.thumb.JPG.67bec796ecf77c681c9c84810bd250c5.JPGP1000603.thumb.JPG.d4a1a2f31b0de74efecf4d3c21b2633b.JPGP1000611.thumb.JPG.717a4d0e48cb64fd3448dc95cb2d31c1.JPGP1000612.thumb.JPG.eb9804d44f758b006e2ad06fa1a28570.JPGP1000613.thumb.JPG.91de2cabc0ad5725deb080be26fef00e.JPGThought I would add some pictures of Hualien.  It is a small city on the Eastern side of Taiwan.  We were there in November, 2017 on the Diamond Princess.  Shared a taxi rental with another couple and went to Taroko Gorge.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

👍Thank you, Rich, for The Daily and to Roy for the Care and Celebration Lists!

I have a question for anyone who has cruised on the new Rotterdam....was the dining room or other eating areas on the cool side with a lot of air conditioning? 

☺️Happy Weekend and prayers for all in need!🙏

Katie

• Like 12

@Vict0riannOntario is giving out 2 million rapid test kits. With a population of 14.5 million, the chance of getting a kit will be slim. According to the government website, tomorrow they will be available at just 5 locations, 1 in Toronto, 1 in Kingston, 2 in Peterborough and 1 in Mississauga. Reportedly next week they'll be available at the 100 of the liquor stores. Those locations haven't been disclosed yet. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first. - George Carlin"

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Not sure how Carlin came to his conclusion. 

Is it because in English we read left to right? 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

cruisep@pucks.   City news 680 website has list of sites for the free tests including liquor store locations. . Given out yesterday today and tomorrow.  Many liquor stores have them.  Many other locations in  Toronto area, malls arenas etc.  long lineups. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bobpatj said:

Good morning!  I'm never at the computer in the morning, but while there, today, I decided to check the Daily on the big screen.  I have been reading every day, but not posting for not being able to do so on my phone.  I have been able to post on Roll Calls, on the computer, so I'll see if this works, today. 

We are planning to be onboard Rotterdam VII from Jan. 9th - 29th, a 14 day and 6 day back to back.  There have been several itinerary changes, so the Ship is becoming the main itinerary, which is fine by me.  Thanks to Rich and Roy for the Daily, and to all who post each day.  I hope this time I can get onboard again.

Enjoy  your  cruise  and  relax.

Jim.

• Like 10

I'm taking a quick break from cookie decorating to give my back a chance to relax.  I'm at the part where the finer details are being added so it's slow going, but it will be finished.

@durangoscots  How exciting to finally meet your brother's daughter and family.  Enjoy the visit Monday.  

@bdrcole and @USN59-79  Thank you for the pictures of today's port and the gorge.  I think I'd skip eating after seeing that interesting bug.

@1ANGELCAT  Good news that the test showed the nerves weren't causing the problem.  Sounds like today's doctor was a better fit.  Hope they find the problem soon.

After listening to various doctors on tv this morning while working on the cookies, it seems the Omicron variant while more contagious causes milder illness if you are fully vaccinated.  Some experts say if Omicron replaces Delta, it might be a good thing and the beginning of the end of all this.  

In the meantime, we will be keeping to ourselves as much as possible and wearing our KN95 masks when shopping.  Actually, we felt safer on the ship than we do here or in Texas.  At least, everyone on the ship was tested, vaccinated and masked most of the time.

Too many people here are not wearing masks, and some our our neighbors, as far as we know, are not vaccinated.  Four of them just got back from Las Vegas, so the delivery of cookies to them will be delayed. 

Last night, we went to pick-up hamburgers at a fast food place, and I had to go in as they did not have enough workers to open the drive through.  We may not be going back there for a while, since I was the ONLY one masked in the entire place.  😱

Thinking about @kazu Jacqui and Jose, and am hoping for a good report from Jacqui soon.  Sending good thoughts that the doctos will find the problem and healing can begin.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tbay said:

The rugby tournament has spread cases from coast to coast. Some of the Queen's students have behaved badly, having street parties of thousands of people, overturning cars, so it is no wonder the cases are high.  Kingston has the highest case numbers in Canada.  

Test kits are being distributed in Ontario, but only in specific places.  None near where I live. And anywhere they are being given out, there are huge line ups.

I had to laugh - right after your post, @USN59-79posted a photo, and I thought it was the lineup for the tests -

P1000597.thumb.JPG.67bec796ecf77c681c9c84810bd250c5.JPG.1151db05358c3b7cbf76d987d91fda49.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 15

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

P1000597.thumb.JPG.67bec796ecf77c681c9c84810bd250c5.JPGP1000603.thumb.JPG.d4a1a2f31b0de74efecf4d3c21b2633b.JPGP1000611.thumb.JPG.717a4d0e48cb64fd3448dc95cb2d31c1.JPGP1000612.thumb.JPG.eb9804d44f758b006e2ad06fa1a28570.JPGP1000613.thumb.JPG.91de2cabc0ad5725deb080be26fef00e.JPGThought I would add some pictures of Hualien.  It is a small city on the Eastern side of Taiwan.  We were there in November, 2017 on the Diamond Princess.  Shared a taxi rental with another couple and went to Taroko Gorge.

Thanks for a bit more info on the Gorge. 

• Like 6

Thanks Dailyite friends for all of your thoughts and prayers for my sister's hip replacement procedure.  We've been informed that everything went well and that she will be home later this afternoon.  I can't believe that hip replacement is an out patient surgery, sort of like getting new tires on your car. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1