Silver Whisper - 12/17

DCCruiser57

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Sorry to hear that there has been an outbreak onboard with some guests taken off to a hotel in St Lucia. Anyone know how many and are any crew affected.

A highly placed crew member told us that 7 passengers tested positive and one crew member is in isolation.  There has been no official announcement of this.  In fact we didn't hear anything until 8:00 last night (we were due to leave St. Lucia at 6:00) when the CD announced a number of passengers had tested positive and had been disembarked to hotel quarantine.  Silver Spectre, since you had already heard about this, do you know someone who was disembarked?  My DH and I have been ultra careful so far and will remain so on the return trip to Fort Lauderdale while keeping our fingers crossed!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, netpj said:

A highly placed crew member told us that 7 passengers tested positive and one crew member is in isolation.  There has been no official announcement of this.  In fact we didn't hear anything until 8:00 last night (we were due to leave St. Lucia at 6:00) when the CD announced a number of passengers had tested positive and had been disembarked to hotel quarantine.  Silver Spectre, since you had already heard about this, do you know someone who was disembarked?  My DH and I have been ultra careful so far and will remain so on the return trip to Fort Lauderdale while keeping our fingers crossed!

To answer your question, I know a number people on the ship but not anyone disembarked. I picked this up from a posting in the SS Facebook group. Thanks for your update.

Edited by Silver Spectre

On 12/27/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bluebelle14 said:

No passengers can return to suites until noon.  The pool is serving drinks and snacks and so is the Panorama.  We all had testing this morning. Heard 49 passengers are disembarking and 40 new passengers are embarking.  We are still about 240 passengers aboard.

Oh my days - I read that at first too quickly and thought the 9 disembarked were now up to 49 after your testing!

This all can't make for a relaxing holiday.... Scares the hell out om me I could get dumped off in some place I've never heard of in South America!

I guess if kicked off, you are on your own to pay the bills? Flights home (if you have Silversea air included?)

Be aware that 1% of combined passengers and crew being tested positive is the level where most Caribbean ports are refusing docking. We lost our last three ports-of-call on Spirit this week with 21 cases on board.

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Oh my days - I read that at first too quickly and thought the 9 disembarked were now up to 49 after your testing!

This all can't make for a relaxing holiday.... Scares the hell out om me I could get dumped off in some place I've never heard of in South America!

I guess if kicked off, you are on your own to pay the bills? Flights home (if you have Silversea air included?)

I thought that if you have SS air, then SS will take care of your quarantine hotel and flights back. Please correct me if I have bad info. Happy New Year!!!!!!

6 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I thought that if you have SS air, then SS will take care of your quarantine hotel and flights back. Please correct me if I have bad info. Happy New Year!!!!!!

I’m hoping that’s the case. Mostly just didn’t want to be stranded. Flights will no doubt be a huge premium. Our LHR to MIA price at the moment is disgraceful!

6 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I checked the USA SS site and they do take care of you if anything goes wrong. This includes getting kicked off the ship, hotel quarantine and flights back home. In this Covid world, I would only use SS air regardless of the cost. Also I have found the Bus. Air upgrade costs internationally to be very reasonable. For me, trying to use miles on international flights is a joke!!

Hoping some of you who are considering what do to about an upcoming cruise will find this helpful!

We were due to sail 1/14 on the Spirit.   The latest CDC “advice”, combined with my husband’s recent medical treatment, forced us to reconsider this afternoon.  Our TA was wonderful, immediately calling Silversea.  We had the option to move our booking to another, paying any difference in price, or to cancel and receive a Future Cruise Credit, good for 2 years.   The SS rep told our TA that this does not follow the December, 2021 cancellation policy published, but is the plan to deal with COVID related cancellations by guests.   While I have not seen the FCC yet, I am confident that once the holiday weekend is over we will have documentation.

I just accepted that my TA would have mentioned a full refund if available.   I was guessing that so few days ahead of travel, that option was probably not available since under normal conditions I would have had no refund .   I was happy with an FCC because we are looking at other cruises.