Silver Whisper - 12/17

DCCruiser57

All is good aboard the Whisper.  About 220 guests onboard for this leg.  Capt is relatively new to SS.  HD is Jimmy Kovel & CD is Adam Wright.  MDR Maitre’d is Ricardo Gonzalez.  Tender beef Rossini with seared foie gras for last night’s formal dinner.  It was excellent.  First night main course was Mahi Mahi.   It was very good.  The MDR was pretty sparse last night as most folks must have opted for the Grill or La Terrazza.  Many familiar crew faces on board and we ran into Norman during checkin.  The starboard section  of deck 4 (suites 421 thru 435) has been partioned off for quarantine rooms.  About 225 guests are currently booked for the full WC.

Ratko Jeremic is the executive chef and he is onboard for the WC.

Edited by DCCruiser57
Add content
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

All is good aboard the Whisper.  About 220 guests onboard for this leg.  Capt is relatively new to SS.  HD is Jimmy Kovel & CD is Adam Wright.  MDR Maitre’d is Ricardo Gonzalez.  Tender beef Rossini with seared foie gras for last night’s formal dinner.  It was excellent.  First night main course was Mahi Mahi.   It was very good.  The MDR was pretty sparse last night as most folks must have opted for the Grill or La Terrazza.  Many familiar crew faces on board and we ran into Norman during checkin.  The starboard section  of deck 4 (suites 421 thru 435) has been partioned off for quarantine rooms.  About 225 guests are currently booked for the full WC.

Ratko Jeremic is the executive chef and he is onboard for the WC.

Hi, how did you find out about the number of passengers on full WC?

Also on the Whisper.  It's great having around 220 passengers - plenty of room.  The CD told us there are about 350 on the Barbados-Fort Lauderdale cruise.  That will be very different but hopefully will be fine.  Crew are wonderful.  

I was just going through details on USA immigration for my planned trip in 12 days and it took me eventually to the CDC cruise page.

It's showing the Whisper on Yellow and being covid investigated.

Apologies if this is old news and all is well and previously highlighted on CC. (No intention to be alarmist!) I did look to check, but can't see any references. (I know Spirit had this for a few days and is back to Green now,)

Anything known about this?

Hope all is well.

3 hours ago, les37b said:

The CDC cruise page [is] showing the Whisper on Yellow and being covid investigated.

Either one passenger or one crew member testing positive would change the ship's status to yellow. That includes someone who is no longer onboard b ut reported positive to a public health authority within 7 days of having departed the ship. A late daily report not being received on time but he CDC can also trigger yellow status -- but a positive test result of a current or recent passenger or crew member is more likely the culprit.

Just now, les37b said:

I was just going through details on USA immigration for my planned trip in 12 days and it took me eventually to the CDC cruise page.

It's showing the Whisper on Yellow and being covid investigated.

Apologies if this is old news and all is well and previously highlighted on CC. (No intention to be alarmist!) I did look to check, but can't see any references. (I know Spirit had this for a few days and is back to Green now,)

Anything known about this?

Hope all is well.

No news onboard.

2 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

No news onboard.

Hopefully it's either an error or is of zero concern to guests and felt better to stay quiet than risk panic / stress over nothing.. It's still showing yellow at the moment though.

IMG_20211221_135614.thumb.jpg.a5a23b5c197bf13f34c42f4160728bc5.jpg

On 12/19/2021 at 12:45 PM, DCCruiser57 said:

...last night’s formal dinner.  ...  The MDR was pretty sparse last night as most folks must have opted for the Grill or La Terrazza.  

Why do you think the formal dinner was sparse.  Are folks tending away from formal nights?

Some folks could have eaten in La Dame as well.  It was never overly crowded on my sailing either. I mean folks did show up but it was never "Full to the Max".  And remember, the sailings are not at capacity either.  Didn't one of the postings say this 12/17 cruise had just over 200 guests? 220? That would be easy to have less than a full dining room.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Hopefully it's either an error or is of zero concern to guests and felt better to stay quiet than risk panic / stress over nothing.. It's still showing yellow at the moment though.

I doubt it's an error. But as noted above, there could be multiple causes. Someone who left the ship last week could have tested positive after returning home. Or a passenger could have tested positive before leaving the ship. Or a crew member could have tested positive and either been sequestered ashore or in a cabin on the ship.

Certainly there is no need for alarm, but it would be better if cruise lines stifled questions and speculation by being more transparent with reporting positive cases and status themselves. Unfortunately, it seems none of them do. 

52 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Certainly there is no need for alarm, but it would be better if cruise lines stifled questions and speculation by being more transparent with reporting positive cases and status themselves. Unfortunately, it seems none of them do. 

My experience is that 'transparency' is a moving goalpost that you are never given credit for achieving.  I think the cruise lines are smart to keep quiet, because every announcement just leads to more demands for more detail or questioning the motive behind the announcement.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, netpj said:

We will be required to leave our stateroom by 8:00 in Barbados which is the turnaround port.  

We had to do the same on the 12/2 sailing.

49 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Oh I agree😀I slept till 9 on many days.

I sleep as late as the schedule permits [which on sea days means until Lunch time].  DW feels sorry for the cabin attendant – but [on another cruise line] when she suggested that he could skip the early service he still snuck in as soon as we left the cabin.  If only there was some way to avoid that last morning on a ship – why don't they sell 'day cabins' ???

• Like 2

I’m back on the Whisper after about 4 years sailing on The Wind, The Muse and The Moon. She is looking lovely and I’m having a wonderful, relaxing time. The cuisine in both the MDR and at dinner in The Terrasse is the best I can remember in many years. The wines have been very good too.
I have been delighted to see so many familiar crew members and have been very touched by how many came up to me to chat for a minute or two. The legendary HD, Norman is sailing as a special delegate for The Venetian Society. I had a very jolly dinner with him at a lively table.

I have a wonderful, irreverent Trivia Team. We have either won, or been terrible…nothing in between!

The one and only negative has been the Ports, but I certainly knew this would probably be the case when I booked. Today, in St John, Antiqua, I couldn’t wait to get back to The Whisper after a walk around the dirty, crowded, LOUD town. I have been here several times in the past, but the changes have been dramatic.

Trivia is about to start..gotta go!

, Hope you all will keep The Whisper in mind as you make plans. She’s a lovely old lady with SO much to offer! Merry Christmas, every one! 🎄

Deborah

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We agree 100%.  Since the WC executive chef, Ratko is onboard we thought the food would be exceptional and it has been.  The complimentary wines have also been very good, but since Lawrence is still working for SS, we expected that they would be.  Lots of familar crew members - so great to see them - they all seem so happy to be working again.  Dinner with Norman last night for Wiener Schnitzel - were you at our table?

• Like 1