Help me choose our next cruise!

We're planning a cruise for next December - my husband and I, with our 2 kids who will be 6 and 9. We're looking at Dec 19-23, 2022 to the Bahamas.

Our choices are:

Freedom out of Miami

Independence out of Port Canaveral

Liberty out of Fort Lauderdale

We haven't cruised in 9 years due to work and family, but we're ready to go back and have fun - and celebrate our 15th anniversary after getting married onboard Mariner in 2007 (and also cruising on Majesty in 2008 and Mariner in 2012).

we usually sail out of Fort Lauderdale. Once out of Miami and once out of Port Canaveral. 

Are you flying to the ports? I was unpleasantly surprised by the Uber/Lyft prices from Orlando to Port Canaveral - $122 each way. A taxi from FLL to the POrt Everglades is about $25. 

With the flights being around the same price for us (I wait for sales and check prices daily), the difference in price for the airport-port transportation is definitely something to consider, unless the cruise is so much cheaper that you can neglect the difference.

Also, the distance itself - if your kids get car sick - FLL or Miami would be my choices. My kid used to never get car sick, but because he hasn't ridden in a car for like a year during the pandemic, he now gets car sick after 20 minutes.

Other than that, the ships are super similar. If your kids are into water slides, you may want to pick the ship that was AMPed.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we usually sail out of Fort Lauderdale. Once out of Miami and once out of Port Canaveral. 

Are you flying to the ports? I was unpleasantly surprised by the Uber/Lyft prices from Orlando to Port Canaveral - $122 each way. A taxi from FLL to the POrt Everglades is about $25. 

With the flights being around the same price for us (I wait for sales and check prices daily), the difference in price for the airport-port transportation is definitely something to consider, unless the cruise is so much cheaper that you can neglect the difference.

Also, the distance itself - if your kids get car sick - FLL or Miami would be my choices. My kid used to never get car sick, but because he hasn't ridden in a car for like a year during the pandemic, he now gets car sick after 20 minutes.

Other than that, the ships are super similar. If your kids are into water slides, you may want to pick the ship that was AMPed.

Yes, we are planning to fly to the port (from TN) - all have a direct flight option. As far as cruise costs, Miami/Freedom is cheapest, followed by FLL/Independence, then PC/Liberty. The kids do like water slides! Which one was AMPed?

44 minutes ago, MarinerBride said:

We're planning a cruise for next December - my husband and I, with our 2 kids who will be 6 and 9. We're looking at Dec 19-23, 2022 to the Bahamas.

Our choices are:

Freedom out of Miami

Independence out of Port Canaveral

Liberty out of Fort Lauderdale

We haven't cruised in 9 years due to work and family, but we're ready to go back and have fun - and celebrate our 15th anniversary after getting married onboard Mariner in 2007 (and also cruising on Majesty in 2008 and Mariner in 2012).

I just got off liberty today and thought she showed her age. Vibrating elevators. Cant do wifi from cafe, only upper decks. I asked this morning about tv and was told it only gets stations when in port due to how the satalittle dish. Ok I dont cruise for news, but would have liked some. Free style soda machines closed due to covid. Good cruise but I thought wow she hasnt changed since I did her years ago. 

Other 2 ships are equally aged so idk, independence is amped. 

• Thanks 1

what are the itineraries?

We are nostalgic about Indy because that was our very first cruise and 5 years later she was our child's first cruise. That was before she was AMPed. We were supposed to be on her in Nov 2020, but covid happened and we moved to Harmony. We got to see Indy 3 weeks ago in Coco Cay: Indy seems so small compared to Harmony, but we still think of her fondly. And you can see the water slides.

20211127_171112.jpg.fd16110ca8d975946f7c0d548d661502.jpg

My kid no longer likes water slides because the staff wouldn't let him use a nose clip and/or goggles, and he hates the water rushing up his nose and in his eyes. 😞

Remember that you can keep an eye on the price and if it drops, you call RCI and get it adjusted. If it's after the final payment date, they will give you cabin credit (OBC). I would also consider a cruise that is at least 6-7 days long (maybe, Thanksgiving week?) because by the time you get on the ship and start enjoying yourselves, a 4-5 day cruise is over. I personally get a travel related, stress induced migraine which lasts 2-3 days, so we'd never go on a 4 day cruise because I'd suffer the entire time.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

37 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

All the ships are the same class.

So pick based on itinerary and price.

28 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what are the itineraries?

We are nostalgic about Indy because that was our very first cruise and 5 years later she was our child's first cruise. That was before she was AMPed. We were supposed to be on her in Nov 2020, but covid happened and we moved to Harmony. We got to see Indy 3 weeks ago in Coco Cay: Indy seems so small compared to Harmony, but we still think of her fondly. And you can see the water slides.

20211127_171112.jpg.fd16110ca8d975946f7c0d548d661502.jpg

My kid no longer likes water slides because the staff wouldn't let him use a nose clip and/or goggles, and he hates the water rushing up his nose and in his eyes. 😞

Remember that you can keep an eye on the price and if it drops, you call RCI and get it adjusted. If it's after the final payment date, they will give you cabin credit (OBC). I would also consider a cruise that is at least 6-7 days long (maybe, Thanksgiving week?) because by the time you get on the ship and start enjoying yourselves, a 4-5 day cruise is over. I personally get a travel related, stress induced migraine which lasts 2-3 days, so we'd never go on a 4 day cruise because I'd suffer the entire time.

Itineraries are the same, just different order. This is our first cruise with the kids, so we're leaning toward shorter this time in case they hate it, plus we have limited time out of school and don't want to spend the actual holiday days away. And this week is closer to our anniversary, which we prefer. 

5 minutes ago, MarinerBride said:

Itineraries are the same, just different order. This is our first cruise with the kids, so we're leaning toward shorter this time in case they hate it, plus we have limited time out of school and don't want to spend the actual holiday days away. And this week is closer to our anniversary, which we prefer. 

So there you go. Schedule is most important in this case, so pick the one that best fits it.

12 minutes ago, MarinerBride said:

don't want to spend the actual holiday days away

lol, I don't ever want to host Thanksgiving anymore, so we always sail that week. 🙂 That's my escape.

13 minutes ago, MarinerBride said:

This is our first cruise with the kids, so we're leaning toward shorter this time in case they hate it

they'll love it!

I guess I'd go with Indy then.

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Personally I wouldn’t pick Liberty because she doesn’t have Playmakers, since that is one of my favorite bars. However, this may not be important to you. 

Champagne bar has always been my favorite, but it's been so long since I've cruised, and I've never gone with kids, so I'm sure things will have changed! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 2:36 PM, MarinerBride said:

If we want a Jr suite with an attached balcony, does that change anything? 

Independence, cabin 9634 and cabin 9632 are connected, one is a JS and other is Spacious Ocean View Balcony

same on other side of ship 9334 and 9332

also aft facing the the wake, 1706 and 1704

also 1406 and 1404

Edited by Jimbo

14 minutes ago, MarinerBride said:

We're booked! Freedom, 9626 and 9622! The connected cabins were unavailable, but these two are next to each other, and we can have the balcony barricades taken down. Only 354 days to go! 😁

You won't be disappointed.  Freedom is an amazing ship.  I love the pool area - so colorful and we really like Playmakers also.