Move cruise to later date,

Hinda

Per USA Today article:  More than 5,000 COVID-19 cases have been reported on cruise ships sailing in the U.S. over the past two weeks. It's Thursday's news.  (The first two weeks of Dec was 162 cases).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/12/30/cdc-cruise-warning-omicron/9055443002/

Edited by RCD1952

7 hours ago, Hinda said:

It has been over a week since my original post and things have gotten worse.  The CDC has recommended no cruising even if vaccinated.   I know there are cases on the Riviera at this time.  OCEANIA do something for your loyal customers........

Hinda

They should be allowing cancellations with FCC for ALL customers. 
We cruised on Riviera 12/3/21 and not one case of Covid. No masks and no restrictions This is no longer the case. Infection rate expanding daily. 
We just cancelled 17 day cruise as O held to payment 5 months prior.  Friends scheduled on other cruise lines have 7 day window to cancel….Oceania is completely ignoring the current infection rate. 
We’re scheduled for Caribbean O cruise 2/7 and wish we weren’t. We’re not worried about health effects of getting Covid. We don’t want to get it and spend thousands to quarantine in a ship cabin OR be restricted to O excursion to leave ship. We’ve been to the ports numerous times and just go to beaches. O’s beach excursions are about 3 hours including transportation, are overpriced and you’re back on board early afternoon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jayne E said:

We’re scheduled for Caribbean O cruise 2/7 and wish we weren’t. ...

Triple vaxx. Live in almost isolation, and scheduled to leave on January 4. Waking with cough, etc.today on NYE. Testing is tomorrow, but there were absolutely no signs prior to this and even now I would say that most of America would wake with what I have and go to work. I certainly would have

Bottom line: this thing is moving at lightning speed almost because the symptoms are so mild. I think the likelihood you get it are extremely high. Consider that either good or bad.

• Like 1

Son called this morning.  He said he threw up all night.  Thinks he has the flu (not COVID - he has natural immunity from having COVID three months ago.). Said his co-worker got sick this past week.  Needs a Doctors note to cancel his room for NYE so he can get a refund.  Told him to go the Urgent Care - he will need to actually see a medical doctor to get a note.

Keep hoping flu/omicron blows thru fast.

Doesn’t give you confidence when the CDC now says false positives are high for the PCR test and it is required for travel.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jayne E said:

They should be allowing cancellations with FCC for ALL customers. 
We cruised on Riviera 12/3/21 and not one case of Covid. No masks and no restrictions This is no longer the case. Infection rate expanding daily. 
We just cancelled 17 day cruise as O held to payment 5 months prior.  Friends scheduled on other cruise lines have 7 day window to cancel….Oceania is completely ignoring the current infection rate. 
We’re scheduled for Caribbean O cruise 2/7 and wish we weren’t. We’re not worried about health effects of getting Covid. We don’t want to get it and spend thousands to quarantine in a ship cabin OR be restricted to O excursion to leave ship. We’ve been to the ports numerous times and just go to beaches. O’s beach excursions are about 3 hours including transportation, are overpriced and you’re back on board early afternoon. 

Just spoke to our TA who was supposed to cruise this weekend out of Miami on Norwegian.  He postponed and told me Norwegian is allowing pax to postpone but they are not advertising this.  If Norwegian is allowing this perhaps Oceania will at some point?  We feel the same as what you said in that we aren't afraid of a mild illness but we don't want to spend thousands and end up quarantined in  a cabin.  We also just go to beaches and do not take ship excursions.  Let's hope for the best as we have several weeks to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

Triple vaxx. Live in almost isolation, and scheduled to leave on January 4. Waking with cough, etc.today on NYE. Testing is tomorrow, but there were absolutely no signs prior to this and even now I would say that most of America would wake with what I have and go to work. I certainly would have

Bottom line: this thing is moving at lightning speed almost because the symptoms are so mild. I think the likelihood you get it are extremely high. Consider that either good or bad.

It’s winter (even here in California) with all the usual cold symptoms popping up here and there. Fingers crossed that your test is negative.

We’re headed to Miami on 1/11 to join Riviera on 1/14. 
Triple vaxxed, stock of disposable N95s, bizclass seats on United (a little more social distance), Intercontinental Hotel (trusted Covid precautions), pre-Cruise test appts at SFO and MIA. Vetted ground transport. 

Meantime, isolated at home with plenty of jigsaw puzzles and Netflix.

Happy New Year.

42 minutes ago, espmass said:

...  If Norwegian is allowing this perhaps Oceania will at some point?  ...

Probably an unpopular belief, but I hope they won't even if it costs me dearly.

Much as it might benefit me, I cannot be a hypocrite at this late point in my life. I preach owning my decisions and their outcomes and one I made quite consciously was choosing O, knowing their cancellation policies. 

That's on me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, espmass said:

Just spoke to our TA who was supposed to cruise this weekend out of Miami on Norwegian.  He postponed and told me Norwegian is allowing pax to postpone but they are not advertising this.  If Norwegian is allowing this perhaps Oceania will at some point?  We feel the same as what you said in that we aren't afraid of a mild illness but we don't want to spend thousands and end up quarantined in  a cabin.  We also just go to beaches and do not take ship excursions.  Let's hope for the best as we have several weeks to go.

Not advertising it?  Pretty underhanded!  Possibility your friend was accommodated because he’s a TA and brings in business?

Couple on this board leaving 1/4 getting no cooperation from Oceania.  I asked for shorter payment window than 5 months and was told to pay or cancel, despite several hundred empty cabins. 

We are on an early May cruise.  We just got a letter from Oceania, forwarded by our TA, saying that the date of final payment and the start of cancel fees is now 2 months and a day from the start of our cruise.  When we booked last September, it was 3 months, with cancel fees starting at 4 months pre-cruise. Someone on a Facebook page for O cruisers stated that his/her TA says this new policy for final payment/cancel fees will be going out to others, not just to those on my cruise.  But I have not confirmed that with Oceania, so have no idea if it's true, and if so, how far in the future it covers.  My plan is to wait until late February and assess the situation at that time.  I won't cruise now, as I feel people need to stay home and not feed the omicron monster, but I'm hoping by then things will be better.  I'm grateful that Oceania has given me another month to decide.  I doubt my May cruise will go off without at least a few Covid cases and itinerary changes, but I can live with that.  I personally think that the worst is happening now, especially since many people are flying and cruising from Florida, and cruising in the Caribbean.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

28 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

Probably an unpopular belief, but I hope they won't even if it costs me dearly.

Much as it might benefit me, I cannot be a hypocrite at this late point in my life. I preach owning my decisions and their outcomes and one I made quite consciously was choosing O, knowing their cancellation policies. 

That's on me. 

Good for you, but since the situation has changed dramatically since I booked and paid for my cruise the onus should be on Oceania to adjust its policies as other cruise lines have.

Their 70% of repeat customers on these cruises are being treated poorly, that will have consequences for them long term.  

• Like 2

Just now, shepherd really said:

Good for you, but since the situation has changed dramatically since I booked and paid for my cruise the onus should be on Oceania to adjust its policies as other cruise lines have.

Their 70% of repeat customers on these cruises are being treated poorly, that will have consequences for them long term.  

Agree! With changing situation should come changing policy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

We are on an early May cruise.  We just got a letter from Oceania, forwarded by our TA, saying that the date of final payment and the start of cancel fees is now 2 months and a day from the start of our cruise.  When we booked last September, it was 3 months, with cancel fees starting at 4 months pre-cruise. Someone on a Facebook page for O cruisers stated that his/her TA says this new policy for final payment/cancel fees will be going out to others, not just to those on my cruise.  But I have not confirmed that with Oceania, so have no idea if it's true, and if so, how far in the future it covers.  My plan is to wait until late February and assess the situation at that time.  I won't cruise now, as I feel people need to stay home and not feed the omicron monster, but I'm hoping by then things will be better.  I'm grateful that Oceania has given me another month to decide.  I doubt my May cruise will go off without at least a few Covid cases and itinerary changes, but I can live with that.  I personally think that the worst is happening now, especially since many people are flying and cruising from Florida, and cruising in the Caribbean.  

That FB group is full of misinformation. There are some nice folks on it. But, sadly, the administrators don’t seem to correct the erroneous posts.

17 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Not advertising it?  Pretty underhanded!  Possibility your friend was accommodated because he’s a TA and brings in business?

Couple on this board leaving 1/4 getting no cooperation from Oceania.  I asked for shorter payment window than 5 months and was told to pay or cancel, despite several hundred empty cabins. 

Thought about it but the friend said it applied to everyone and not just because he is a TA.  Who really knows of course.  He got the information from a friend who apparently works at Norwegian.  I'm not saying I'd cancel or postpone yet but it would be nice to have the option as it gets closer.

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

The situation changed, but ... We were in the midst of a pandemic before and after I booked. The short term environment might have changed, but I was personally aware that another surge might happen. 

It was a chance I took. I certainly accept your point of view, don't deny you the right to believe that way. 

But I know what I knew at that time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, espmass said:

NCL's updated policy allowing short notice cancellation of cruises with FCC given is now shown on NCL's website:

"For new and existing bookings made by January 31, 2022, for any voyage with an embarkation date through and including May 31, 2022, guests are free to cancel up to and including January 31, 2022 and get a full refund in the form of a Future Cruise Credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. Additionally, for all cruises departing through April 30, 2022, cancel up to 61 days prior for a full refund."

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There are CC guidelines against 'cruise line bashing' and also 'bickering' – take a time-out guys.

Agree….need to include name calling…..please see definition of “curmudgeon”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 7:52 PM, suejerrytx said:

We are on the Barcelona to Rome and then back to Barcelona.  We have tried two bookings that go to the Canaries and both were canceled.  I sure hope this one goes.  We have booked extra days in Barcelona before the cruise.  I hope Spain isn’t in lockdown.

Just curious - when were these cancelled - 2021 or when?  I guess what I'm wondering is why they were cancelled - Covid (including border closures) or some other reason.  I want to go to the Canary Islands in 2023. 

On 12/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

The problem with Viking is that then you have to eat their food. 

HA!! Appreciate the levity and the truth. 

Viking Ocean ships are wonderful. The food, not so!

I believe O extended the final period to 60 days before cruising. Most current booking were made during Covid, people knew the risks, so I'm not sure why O would issue refunds. They do offer refunds in case you test positive within 14 days of the cruise date, which I think is very fair. 

The current wave is no worse than the previous ones in terms of deaths and hospitalization rates. Nothing has changed.

19 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I believe O extended the final period to 60 days before cruising. Most current booking were made during Covid, people knew the risks, so I'm not sure why O would issue refunds. They do offer refunds in case you test positive within 14 days of the cruise date, which I think is very fair. 

The current wave is no worse than the previous ones in terms of deaths and hospitalization rates. Nothing has changed.

Oceania extended final payment to 60 day on very few cruises.

i was booked on Grand Voyage on May 29. Final payment due Dec. 30. Oceania would not budge….payment required 5 months prior. Cancelled cruise last week.

20 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

What has changed are the number of cruise ship infections.  During the first two weeks of December, there were a total of 162 cruise ship infections reported to the CDC.  In the last two weeks of December, over 5000.  For those of us that booked in the past several months, this could not have been anticipated.  While I agree that the severity of disease is less, how governments and cruise lines are reacting to this outbreak becomes an issue.  Paying over 10K to face the risk of being disembarked or confined in quarantine was not a concern several months ago, but it is now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Oceania extended final payment to 60 day on very few cruises.

i was booked on Grand Voyage on May 29. Final payment due Dec. 30. Oceania would not budge….payment required 5 months prior. Cancelled cruise last week.

Tough decision no doubt. 
FWIW: Intel says O may reinstitute “Traveler Assurance Program” (at least for next few months) as soon as next week. 

Having to sail by Dec 31, 2022 is not a very long window considering we and many others have 2022 travel plans mapped out already.  I wish they would give until one year from original sail date.  If, in fact, they reinstate an FCC offer.

Edited by marieps
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, marieps said:

Having to sail by Dec 31, 2022 is not a very long window considering we and many others have 2022 travel plans mapped out already.  I wish they would give until one year from original sail date.  If, in fact, they reinstate an FCC offer.

Most of the past offers  were book by  Dec 2022 but sail by 2023  is that not the case now?