International RE-Entry Test Change

The RCC app is still saying that tests will be provided at the end of the cruise to those international passengers needing them for re-entry to their home country. If this service ends, it will be very inconvenient and quite expensive. 

Edited by misstamster

4 hours ago, JR_Angus said:

As the tests will not be given onboard the ship it would seem that Royal’s Policy. “We’ll get you home” would Not Apply to anyone who is not a Resident of the USA. Your on your own.

The “We’ll get you home” applies to people getting covid on nether ship. I’m not sure if this policy is still in effect since I haven’t heard anymore about it.

It sucks that Royal isn’t testing people on the last day for their county re-entry, but at least there are other easy options for them. Unfortunately they will have to fork over the money.

As a uk resident who is meant to be sailing on anthem 9th January I find this really poor. We have to have a test in order to fly home, and like do many others will be flying on the day we disembark. Now, we have to try and find somewhere to test and have the worry waiting for our results on the same day we fly. 

Currently we ‘should’ be able to take a test with us (as currently only needs lateral flow) but who knows if that will change over the next few weeks.

With less than 3 weeks before we are supposed to be going, this has made an already stressful situation even more worrying.

I totally appreciate things have to be fluid whilst travelling during covid times, but come on Royal… making this decision only benefits Royal and not the costumer. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

As a uk resident who is meant to be sailing on anthem 9th January I find this really poor. We have to have a test in order to fly home, and like do many others will be flying on the day we disembark. Now, we have to try and find somewhere to test and have the worry waiting for our results on the same day we fly. 

Currently we ‘should’ be able to take a test with us (as currently only needs lateral flow) but who knows if that will change over the next few weeks.

With less than 3 weeks before we are supposed to be going, this has made an already stressful situation even more worrying.

I totally appreciate things have to be fluid whilst travelling during covid times, but come on Royal… making this decision only benefits Royal and not the costumer. 

Also feeling the same as you! We are due to fly back 5th February and they'd told me over live chat that a test would be provided.

5 hours ago, JR_Angus said:

As the tests will not be given onboard the ship it would seem that Royal’s Policy. “We’ll get you home” would Not Apply to anyone who is not a Resident of the USA. Your on your own.

Well for the small cost of providing a test it seems they will discourage international travellers.  How sad.  Our flights are usually within 12 hours of disembarking.  I guess some airports will offer quick testing but an additional hurdle to overcome.

We have nothing stateside booked and probably won't until this thing is finally under control and restrictions ease.

1 hour ago, 38anchor said:

You must check with your test provider that the test meets the standards. You may not be able to travel if it does not.

The test could be:

a face-to-face or in-person test

a self-administered test with video or photo verification

Would be concerned about dodgy Wi-Fi connections. I’d check for tests at airport. I’m sure they will have them at a hefty cost though  💰 

• Like 1

Since I am already paying out approx £125 for a PCR before flying to Barbados to join Grandeur in Feb and the Day 2 test when I get home I am concerned how much more I am going to have to fork out!  

Royal have really shot themselves in the foot here as the more I have to pay out the less I will be spending on board! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 38anchor said:

...Now, we have to try and find somewhere to test and have the worry waiting for our results on the same day we fly. 

Shouldn't be to hard to find one. From the link provided above from Royal's website.

• At the Terminal — For your convenience, you can take a rapid PCR or antigen COVID-19 test right at the terminal upon debarking the ship and depart. Results will be emailed to you shortly after. 
  • At the Airport — Guests traveling directly to the airport can schedule their rapid PCR or antigen COVID-19 test to be taken on-site with a test provider at the airport.  
  • Local Testing Sites — If you’re staying in the area, there are various locations close to the terminal, the airport and hotels in the area where you can complete PCR or antigen COVID-19 testing.  

Pricing for these tests varies by test type and location.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 38anchor said:

Does it not depend where you are going in the world as Protocols for where i am going

" Barbados" a antigen test is free on the ship so you can re-enter Barbados and that will suffice for getting back to UK.

I also booked a walk in  PCR test at manchester airport on my arrival at 7.00am to cover the PCR test within  2 days .

Could all be a waste of time depending on what Boris is going to do 🤨

Edited by chmusar

This is the test we had provisionally looked at getting and taking with us before RCI UK had confirmed via email only a few days ago that testing would be produced onboard and FOC

https://www.chronomics.com/test-to-return/?fbclid=IwAR3Y5MnM9YwaMpVgpBjbaIhYolbyunSCvCqX65OB7LxKgw27yldDl92aub8

and not trying to be negative but RCI posting that we can get tested at the terminal, airport or local testing site is just not good enough. Do we need to book ahead, just turn up, what’s the cost???? We are talking about flying transatlantic the same day. If there is ANY issue with the test then we don’t fly, which means additional costs for hotels and rebooking flights. At least with the RCI test onboard it was the day before so at least gave you a bit of contingency if needed.

Also, as a non us resident trying to get a test isn’t as easy as you would think and damn expensive. We are staying in NY a few days prior to the cruise and it’s not been straightforward finding a private company to take the pre departure test. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chmusar said:

Does it not depend where you are going in the world as Protocols for where i am going

" Barbados" a antigen test is free on the ship so you can re-enter Barbados and that will suffice for getting back to UK.

I also booked a walk in  PCR test at manchester airport on my arrival at 7.00am to cover the PCR test within  2 days .

Could all be a waste of time depending on what Boris is going to do 🤨

Agree. Any announcement in the next few days by either Boris or Biden could scupper any plans for travel, BUT as it stands atm if you fly anywhere abroad you need a pre departure lateral flow test to fly back home and then your 2 day return test when you land.

Edited by 38anchor

49 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I would hate to have to wait until disembarking the ship to get the test and results back.  Royal should have followed the same policy that they implemented at Celebrity over a month ago. 

33DB32C9-5320-4BAD-BBB8-42F61371E19D.thumb.jpeg.5befa992779eb6a21d7e76b3becd1988.jpeg

This seems to me to be a very sensible approach. I wonder why Royal are doing it differently.

We're in the same situation. It was confirmed to us when we booked in November that Royal Caribbean would provide a test on board prior to our return to the UK if it was needed. Now we suddenly find ourselves needing to organise our own test in San Juan with only a few hours before we take a transatlantic flight home. We have cruise and flights booked through Royal Caribbean as a package. We fly out from UK on 14 Jan and cruise on 16 Jan. I have organised and paid for the pre flight and pre cruise tests and don't have have problem with that because I was aware it was our responsibility, if required, when we booked. I am amazed that Royal Caribbean would make a change to the arrangements for getting us home like this and that they haven't even emailed to advise us, I have only found out through reading this post. I wonder if we would be entitled to a refund if we decided to cancel? At the moment, as I understand it, we can cancel up to two days prior to our holiday, but only for a FCC, not a refund. Very disappointing customer care/service.

"At the Terminal — For your convenience, you can take a rapid PCR or antigen COVID-19 test right at the terminal upon debarking the ship and depart. Results will be emailed to you shortly after. 
At the Airport — Guests traveling directly to the airport can schedule their rapid PCR or antigen COVID-19 test to be taken on-site with a test provider at the airport. "

What about us who booked a shore excursion for the final day with Royal, that includes transfer to airport? Those two options above don't quite apply as I we leave the terminal in a tour group and (assume) have no time for tests, and we are not traveling "directly to the airport" since there is a tour first. I guess our only option is testing at the airport. Bummer. Would have been nice to get it done on the ship.

I wonder if they actually are wanting us to cancel. That way they keep our cruise fare (if we get a FCC), and they avoid what may well be a huge number of people testing positive on board and needing to be quarantined before flying home (and the associated expense, which is supposed to be covered by them).

Or could it be that if we test positive at the airport they will deem us to no longer be their responsibility (as we have left the ship) in terms of quarantine costs. It's not what they agreed to when we booked, but I'm beginning to think it might be a possibility......

• Like 1

If we still get to travel then we are going to take our own lateral flow tests with us. We have plenty of the free nhs ones and will buy the travel home one and test the day before we disembark. In the unfortunate situation of testing positive, at least we will still be onboard and in theory RCIs responsibility, as opposed to finding out we are positive after we have left the ship and RCI have no responsibilities to us. 

• Like 3

I can't believe it's just about the numbers, you know international passengers are the minority # on most cruises compared to majority US. Our numbers would be a drop in the bucket. 

How many on the Symphony were international vs US families? ??