Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

16 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

All we give on here is opinion

We won't all agree. No need to make it personal. 

Forgive me. Your reply to me, contained  the personal pronoun 'you' so as that's a form of personal address, I assumed it was aimed at me rather than offering a general opinion.

Hence my reply.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Because I dont understand your logic?

I would be cruising next week if I could figure out a cruise that won't be badly impacted by Covid?

I didn't realise the rules on here were you can only debate if you have a cruise already booked?

Not at all, however, there seems to be an element of speculation in many of your comments which to me come across as slightly 'anti' Cunard. If I am incorrect, then I apologise.

I hope Cunard continue their 'local' itineraries at the very least, in some form so all those who have booked and will,  can enjoy their holidays.

13 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

When she gets back to Southampton she sets off to Germany and back (Germany currently shut) and then on Jan 14th sails to the Caribbean again with a new set of guinea pigs.

Who will want to be on that cruise, given the current debacle?

So glad we cancelled, even though it cost us over £1200 lost deposit.

I believe the current predicament still has a distance to run, and see no way she will arrive home on Jan 10th....dates currently quoted are fluid, and will most likely slip IMHO.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

When she gets back to Southampton she sets off to Germany and back (Germany currently shut) and then on Jan 14th sails to the Caribbean again with a new set of guinea pigs.

Who will want to be on that cruise, given the current debacle?

So glad we cancelled, even though it cost us over £1200 lost deposit.

It is hard to believe that the 4 day Hamburg cruise will go ahead, yet I see on the Cunard site you can still book!! 

I am surprised you lost a deposit but obviously do not know the circumstances. I was able to move a February 2022 cruise to November 2022 quite easily and without penalty.

I've read more than enough of this now to convince me, even as a seasoned cruiser of many years, that cruising is now out of the window altogether for the foreseeable future.

I have no confidence in the certain American-owned cruise companies to be straightforward with passengers and potential passengers about the risks, or even what's actually happening, or has happened.  It shouldn't be necessary to resort to forums like this for information, but it doesn't seem available anywhere else, social media apart.

I want facts, I want information and without them it's impossible to calculate risk on any meaningful basis.  So, regrettably, I'm making my holiday plans for the foreseeable future without including cruising in them - I have no wish whatever to find myself in the situation that's been outlined here, and I no longer have any confidence whatever in the industry behind it.

• Like 5

Laktex - "I am surprised you lost a deposit but obviously do not know the circumstances. I was able to move a February 2022 cruise to November 2022 quite easily and without penalty."

We already had 3 further cruises booked and perhaps were a bit foolish but just thought that a fourth was not on so took the hit as the price of peace of mind!

Edited by bbtablet

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I've read more than enough of this now to convince me, even as a seasoned cruiser of many years, that cruising is now out of the window altogether for the foreseeable future.

I have no confidence in the certain American-owned cruise companies to be straightforward with passengers and potential passengers about the risks, or even what's actually happening, or has happened.  It shouldn't be necessary to resort to forums like this for information, but it doesn't seem available anywhere else, social media apart.

I want facts, I want information and without them it's impossible to calculate risk on any meaningful basis.  So, regrettably, I'm making my holiday plans for the foreseeable future without including cruising in them - I have no wish whatever to find myself in the situation that's been outlined here, and I no longer have any confidence whatever in the industry behind it.

I would think that Cunard are rather too busy making arrangements for their customers to keep random members of the public informed. I don't understand what you think they owe you.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

Laktex - "I am surprised you lost a deposit but obviously do not know the circumstances. I was able to move a February 2022 cruise to November 2022 quite easily and without penalty."

We already had 3 further cruises booked and perhaps were a bit foolish but just thought that a fourth was not on so took the hit as the price of peace of mind!

I believe that's because you have to move your deposit more than 30 days before sailing.  Those of us with January sailings are too late to do this.

58 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Not at all, however, there seems to be an element of speculation in many of your comments which to me come across as slightly 'anti' Cunard. If I am incorrect, then I apologise.

I hope Cunard continue their 'local' itineraries at the very least, in some form so all those who have booked and will,  can enjoy their holidays.

Not anti Cunard at all

Was recommended them by posters on P and O and was seriously looking at the January 6th cruise to the Canary Islands only a couple of weeks ago now. Queen Elizabeth

Things have deteriorated from the very morning I started looking at that cruise. 

For all cruise lines. Not just Cunard

I thought Cunard from Southampton might be less risk as Cunard are operating well below capacity at the moment

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I would think that Cunard are rather too busy making arrangements for their customers to keep random members of the public informed. I don't understand what you think they owe you.

Aren't every potential customer not yet booked a random member of the public ?

If they only communicate with existing cruise passengers already booked then their business can't possibly survive very long?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Cunard have now pulled the east bound TA on the 3rd Jan from their website for booking, and also the 2 night cruise out to Hamburg on the 10th Jan.  The 4 night round trip, 2 night trip back from Hamburg are still available to book though.

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

....I have no confidence in the certain American-owned cruise companies to be straightforward with passengers and potential passengers about the risks, or even what's actually happening, or has happened.... 

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Whilst what you outline is undoubtedly true, my guess is that Harry believes the Cunard PR machine has been somewhat economical with the truth this past week! 😉

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

I don't think most of the people using these forums are 'random members of the public'.  Most of us are regular liner and cruise passengers, and many have cruises booked which they're very worried about.  Others, like me, are wanting to book cruises again, and are looking for openness and honesty.

They owe me nothing, but equally well I owe them nothing, and I suspect quite a lot of people in my position simply will not rebook while we feel that information is being suppressed or withheld.  Their choice, really (and I speak as a Carnival shareholder of some years) but ultimately cruise companies rely on money from customers who have the confidence to book.  At present I don't have that confidence, and I doubt very much I'm alone.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, laktex said:

It is hard to believe that the 4 day Hamburg cruise will go ahead, yet I see on the Cunard site you can still book!! 

I am surprised you lost a deposit but obviously do not know the circumstances. I was able to move a February 2022 cruise to November 2022 quite easily and without penalty.

That cruise is potentially just a seacation now

The short length actually makes it far more viable than the longer cruises

For those happy to take on a cruise to nowhere

I would consider it tbh if there was a great deal to be had

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Whilst what you outline is undoubtedly true, my guess is that Harry believes the Cunard PR machine has been somewhat economical with the truth this past week! 😉

Precisely.  I'm looking for, but not finding, openness and honesty.  That's pretty important when it comes to cruises and COVID-19.

• Like 5

The curtailment only happened overnight, Covid cases and cancelled port stops are happening on almost every ship sailing from the US so it's not particularly newsworthy.

Just look at other boards on this forum.

I would think the story will be picked up somewhere eventually.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

The curtailment only happened overnight, Covid cases and cancelled port stops are happening on almost every ship sailing from the US so it's not particularly newsworthy.

I agree. I think it's a given the story will be picked up. Cunard  is a well respected name, especially with regards to anything transatlantic and as such, will be of interest to the press.

The media are pretty good at analysing [and exaggerating too, to be fair] info which is 'out there' and so I can't see much of a whitewash on the cards.

Hopefully, I and many others like me, will still be able to cruise at least one of our booked itineraries next year. Am I part of the booked silent majority or am I in the booked minority who still wish to sail and won't be deferring any bookings if I can help it, I don't know, but my fingers are crossed, we sail.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mklions said:

I'm booked on the QE 6th January cruise, ( 12 night Canaries) what's the chances of this going ahead?

I would say 50/50 it goes ahead

If it does go ahead then the cruise itself will be nothing like advertised

If you are lucky and can avoid testing positive on board etc it could still be a reasonably enjoyable escape

A lot will depend on how many crew test positive etc

And it goes without saying - avoiding becoming positive on board

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I agree. I think it's a given the story will be picked up. Cunard  is a well respected name, especially with regards to anything transatlantic and as such, will be of interest to the press.

The media are pretty good at analysing [and exaggerating too, to be fair] info which is 'out there' and so I can't see much of a whitewash on the cards.

Hopefully, I and many others like me, will still be able to cruise at least one of our booked itineraries next year. Am I part of the booked silent majority or am I in the booked minority who still wish to sail and won't be deferring any bookings if I can help it, I don't know, but my fingers are crossed, we sail.

The thing is with the world as it is right now

Stories that in the normal world would have made headline news

Barely get a mention now

So much happening all over the world every hour

As it is nobody in UK can holiday anywhere in France. Ski holidays  there ruined. Disney holidays ruined 

It gets a headline for a day and then move on to the next story somewhere else

15 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

As a random member of the public who has taken 3 cruises this year and has 3 cruises booked for next year, which I fully expect to go and will enjoy, also a poster on here for many years, you are right. Sort out the folk on board at the moment. I am sure that Cunard, P&O and others will prioritize things. I as an interested observer am not a priority.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The thing is with the world as it is right now

Stories that in the normal world would have made headline news

Barely get a mention now

So much happening all over the world every hour

As it is nobody in UK can holiday anywhere in France. Ski holidays  there ruined. Disney holidays ruined 

It gets a headline for a day and then move on to the next story somewhere else

If the QM2 Covid news is of sufficient interest, it will run for a while but a story which isn't particularly newsworthy in the present 'climate', won't. What is important to some, isn't to others in the greater scheme of things and I can't see the problem with that.

This is a  Cunard discussion group and perhaps the interest generated here might not apply to many elsewhere however important it seems on this forum?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

If the QM2 Covid news is of sufficient interest, it will run for a while but a story which isn't particularly newsworthy in the present 'climate', won't. What is important to some, isn't to others in the greater scheme of things and I can't see the problem with that.

This is a  Cunard discussion group and perhaps the interest generated here might not apply to many elsewhere however important it seems on this forum?

• We’ll just have to wait and see, won’t we………😉

44 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

H Hattie is correct that pretty much all ships sailing from the US are being talked about and most are in the “yellow” category on the CDC cruise status list (meaning they have an active investigation from the CDC going on… that is all part of the framework of protocols the US CDC has with the cruise lines since the restart… the variant has just kicked all of these established steps into the limelight)

I’m sure that it will only be a matter of time here in the US before the press picks up this story and runs with it since passengers were picked up in NYC and will have to have alternate ways to return home.