Be aware of cabin 7011 on the Riviera

ak1004

We are currently on the Riviera cabin 7011. On our second night we started to hear a very annoying squeaking noise that came somewhere from the closet. We complained to our cabin attendant who called her boss. After checking it they admitted there is a problem, they cannot fix it and advised us to talk to the front desk.

We went to the front desk, and they told us that the noise is caused by the ship movement (dah..) and there is nothing they can do about it. We asked to escalate the issue, they said they will ask the ship concierge for the solution. They told us they cannot move us to another cabin, despite only 700 passengers on board.

We are at the end of the cruise now, and nobody ever cam back to us regarding this issue.

I wanted to warn people not to book this cabin, and we also were very disappointed by the way Oceania handled this issue. Some people already mentioned before that Oceania is not very good in handling issues when they occur, and unfortunately this was another case of poor customer service.

13 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We are currently on the Riviera cabin 7011. On our second night we started to hear a very annoying squeaking noise that came somewhere from the closet. We complained to our cabin attendant who called her boss. After checking it they admitted there is a problem, they cannot fix it and advised us to talk to the front desk.

We went to the front desk, and they told us that the noise is caused by the ship movement (dah..) and there is nothing they can do about it. We asked to escalate the issue, they said they will ask the ship concierge for the solution. They told us they cannot move us to another cabin, despite only 700 passengers on board.

We are at the end of the cruise now, and nobody ever cam back to us regarding this issue.

I wanted to warn people not to book this cabin, and we also were very disappointed by the way Oceania handled this issue. Some people already mentioned before that Oceania is not very good in handling issues when they occur, and unfortunately this was another case of poor customer service.

We had a similar situation that was handled extremely poorly by the concierge. He told us we were just trying to get a free upgrade.  So we asked to speak to the Hotel Manager.  He apologized profusely, found us another cabin (same class) immediately, sent us a bottle of (good) champagne, and did what the concierge should have done. We're sailing on the Riviera in three weeks in 7009, right next door to your cabin.  

Do you know if the people in 7009 are having a similar problem?  We'd love to know before we board.😃 Thanks.

• Like 1

Most unfortunate that you are having this issue, and no one seems to be able to, or want to do anything about it. Having traveled by cruise ship quite a bit we've experienced our share of noise, creaking, air noises etc. For the most part we've always just accepted that it goes with the territory. What we do when we travel now is take ear plugs & eye masks in case something like this occurs. Not everything can be fixed. Sometimes we just have to deal with it, like the tree frogs outside our villa in Jamaica. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

Most unfortunate that you are having this issue, and no one seems to be able to, or want to do anything about it. Having traveled by cruise ship quite a bit we've experienced our share of noise, creaking, air noises etc. For the most part we've always just accepted that it goes with the territory. What we do when we travel now is take ear plugs & eye masks in case something like this occurs. Not everything can be fixed. Sometimes we just have to deal with it, like the tree frogs outside our villa in Jamaica. 

I agree, and we did use ear plugs, which helped only partially. 

What was the most upsetting here is the fact that the ship was only at 55% capacity, so obviously they had available cabins. We did not ask for an upgrade, we would accept any cabin they would give us. It seems like they just didn't care.

We still had a fantastic cruise, and we won't let those minor issues to impact our vacation.  

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

From the deck plan, I’m assuming there’s a bulkhead between 7009-11 (the transition from extended to regular balcony). Plus these are forward cabins, ergo lots of ship movement/flex.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

From the deck plan, I’m assuming there’s a bulkhead between 7009-11 (the transition from extended to regular balcony). Plus these are forward cabins, ergo lots of ship movement/flex.

That's an interesting theory. Yes 7009 is 8ndeed an extended balcony.

We just booked cabin 7106 which is on the back and also next the extended balcony  do you think it could have the same issue? 

49 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

That's an interesting theory. Yes 7009 is 8ndeed an extended balcony.

We just booked cabin 7106 which is on the back and also next the extended balcony  do you think it could have the same issue? 

Doubtful. There is far more “action” forward, which is why forward cabins are not my favorite.

• Like 2

We had an issue onboard Sirena whereby there was a flood from a broken pipe (not bathroom related). Our experience was the opposite of the OP: the Concierge was fantastic, we were moved to another cabin until they had the water damage resolved, gave us a dinner at a Speciality restaurant and informed us that he was in touch with Miami head office to see what he could offer - ended up with a sizeable shipboard credit with a year expiration date. Further, we received a nice note from the General Manager with wine and chocolates.  We are sorry that you did not receive such service particularly, with a low guest capacity. Perhaps you should clearly state your displeasure in the Cruise Survey.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Perhaps you should clearly state your displeasure in the Cruise Survey.

I definitely will. And it's especially disappointing because we were so pleased with all other departments (food, cabin Stuart, overall service etc.) But this was really an outliner. 

We were in 7126 on Marina (b3 extended balcony) in November 2021 and when the stabilizers were active our closet did wiggle - if there weren't any loose hangars and if the closet doors were secure, then no big noise. If loose hangars or merely 99% secure closet doors, plenty of noise. I'm pretty sensitive to light & noise, earplugs did the trick. Nothing out of the ordinary for 'normal' shipboard motion & noise imo

I believe if it was a matter of loose hangars or merely 99% secure closet doors, they would fix it already.

But our cabin stuart said that they already had complains from this room so it's a known issue. Which raises a question why they continue putting guests in this cabin while rhe ship is half empty 

We sailed on 15 cruises and had a similar issue probably 2-3 times, so i wouldn't call it normal.

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

... We sailed on 15 cruises and had a similar issue probably 2-3 times, so i wouldn't call it normal.

Apologies - I didn't mean to minimize the issue in 7011, it does sound much more intense than we experienced in 7126!

My aim was to point out that any way-aft cabin might experience a bit more shaking (and thus more noise) than average. At least I have learned to keep the safe locked - our first O cruise a clanking safe door kept me up much of one night. lol live and learn! 

We had a similar-but-different issue with the closet in 9138: the light, which was supposed to go out when the door was closed, never went off. Because the sliding door was loose, it never hit the button to turn off the light (unless we held it shut). That meant we had a healthy "night light" bleeding around the closet door each night. So we asked our butler, and an engineer installed a shim to force the pressure--and it worked! Until we hit rocky seas, and the loose door shifted back & forth all night blinking on, and then off... Great service though!

Agree forward cabins have movement issues.  We were in one of the Oceania Suites on the Marina crossing the south Pacific and the bed was against a bulkhead wall that creaked in heavier weather.  Nothing could be done about it since the solution would be to remove the interior an perform some heavy duty welding.  No clue if the line would even make such fixes at drydock time.

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

We had a similar-but-different issue with the closet in 9138: the light, which was supposed to go out when the door was closed, never went off. Because the sliding door was loose, it never hit the button to turn off the light (unless we held it shut). That meant we had a healthy "night light" bleeding around the closet door each night. So we asked our butler, and an engineer installed a shim to force the pressure--and it worked! Until we hit rocky seas, and the loose door shifted back & forth all night blinking on, and then off... Great service though!

I had the same issue on an Oceania ship once. I just took out the bulb. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sofietucker said:

We had a similar-but-different issue with the closet in 9138: the light, which was supposed to go out when the door was closed, never went off. Because the sliding door was loose, it never hit the button to turn off the light (unless we held it shut).

We have had the closet door shift open when sailing  so we just stick a piece of cardboard in the gap  before retiring

works fine 😉

We had a slight creaking/crunching noise once on our cruise.  It didn't bother us after a day or so, though.  But I'm wondering if perhaps O is reluctant to have people change rooms because they have some kind of rotation deep cleaning schedule going on during Covid.  If so, that would make it more complicated/difficult to make a room change even if there are vacant rooms.  And perhaps they aren't filling to capacity, on purpose yet.  In any case, it's just a thought.  I have read of some hotels in Europe having to leave each room vacant for a particular number of days before the next rental.

Fortunately, I wear hearing aids and with them out at night I hear very little specially squeaks which tend to be higher frequencies. Even though the ship was at 55% maybe your category was sold out and there was not an equal to change you to? We sailed with Celebrity in a suite in August and it was 40% capacity, but all suites were at 100% sold out.

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Fortunately, I wear hearing aids and with them out at night I hear very little specially squeaks which tend to be higher frequencies. Even though the ship was at 55% maybe your category was sold out and there was not an equal to change you to? We sailed with Celebrity in a suite in August and it was 40% capacity, but all suites were at 100% sold out.

It was a regular veranda room which is the most common cabin category. I find it very hard to believe that they didn't have any vacant rooms in this category.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:05 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Doubtful. There is far more “action” forward, which is why forward cabins are not my favorite.

And cabins toward the rear of the ship tend to have more vibration from engine noise. We choose forward cabins for that reason. Pro and con issue, I guess.

13 minutes ago, edgee said:

And cabins toward the rear of the ship tend to have more vibration from engine noise. We choose forward cabins for that reason. Pro and con issue, I guess.

There can be some vibration aft depending on ship speed (actually shaft speed?). For example, on the R ships, I’ve noticed it in the corridor adjacent to some of the B1 cabins aft of the elevators when the ship is making max knots. The further aft B2 cabins don’t don’t seem to get that issue.  

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There can be some vibration aft depending on ship speed (actually shaft speed?). For example, on the R ships, I’ve noticed it in the corridor adjacent to some of the B1 cabins aft of the elevators when the ship is making max knots. The further aft B2 cabins don’t don’t seem to get that issue.  

Agree. Had last minute booking on Insignia a few years ago. Only far aft cabin  was available. Was pleasantly surprised at lack of vibration.