Health Assessment Close Contact Question

hsmom

This is the Question in the health assessment:

In the 14 days prior to embarkation, were you identified as a close contact of someone with COVID-19?*

Has anyone had to answer this question yes? If so, what happens? Are we automatically unable to go or do we get sent to the yellow lane and need to be tested again?

To be clear, I am just trying to determine what will happen…I am not looking to circumvent any of the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/documents.page

1. You agree that if at any time within fourteen (14) days prior to embarkation, You test positive for COVID-19, exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, have had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or the Carrier otherwise determines, in its sole discretion, that You are unfit to board because of any communicable illness, the Carrier will deny boarding to You as well as Your traveling companions.  Under these circumstances, unless the Carrier determines that the Guest has failed to comply with the Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols or this Passage Contract, any Guest denied boarding will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount Guest paid to the Carrier, subject to Guest providing verification satisfactory to the Carrier of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by the Carrier.  For further details, refer to the Carrier’s Refund and Cancellation Policy for COVID-19 located on its website. Under no circumstances shall the Carrier have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever including, but not limited to, compensation for consequential lodging or travel.

This is what I found today doing some research.  I hope it helps.

• Thanks 1

I doubt that very many of us could honestly say we've been in close contact with anyone who had had the virus unless it was a close friend or family member. 

Out of those people how many would actually be honest & let them know? 

I finally found that Princess info before I fell asleep last night. Thank you for posting it to confirm that I was looking at current information. 

The squishy part is where they determine if we can go on or not…an out an out No would be more useful.

As for us…certainly a close, close contact. One of my children who has had the booster, and covid in August started showing symptoms on his second night at our house. He will be here his entire 14 days. Meanwhile, I think it all becomes a mute point because my husband tested positive on a home test yesterday. We will be getting PCR tests tomorrow and I think that seals the deal. The results from tomorrow will be within the 14 day window.

Now to just figure out how this all words with Princess and the insurance etc. Wish me luck. As was being discussed in another thread, this was our attempt at using up our March 2020 FCC. I hope we can get the money we added for this trip back from the insurance. If we lose the original FCC so be it. Not likely that we will be able to use it before the end of 2022. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hsmom said:

I finally found that Princess info before I fell asleep last night. Thank you for posting it to confirm that I was looking at current information. 

The squishy part is where they determine if we can go on or not…an out an out No would be more useful.

As for us…certainly a close, close contact. One of my children who has had the booster, and covid in August started showing symptoms on his second night at our house. He will be here his entire 14 days. Meanwhile, I think it all becomes a mute point because my husband tested positive on a home test yesterday. We will be getting PCR tests tomorrow and I think that seals the deal. The results from tomorrow will be within the 14 day window.

Now to just figure out how this all words with Princess and the insurance etc. Wish me luck. As was being discussed in another thread, this was our attempt at using up our March 2020 FCC. I hope we can get the money we added for this trip back from the insurance. If we lose the original FCC so be it. Not likely that we will be able to use it before the end of 2022. 

Oh that just stinks!  I am so sorry.  

A close contact is defined by the CDC as someone you were less than 6 feet from  for greater than 15 minutes.  So a good example of this would be being at a Christmas family gathering.  That would be a close contact.

I'm just curious as to how it works if you are vaccinated and tested at day 5 and were negative and then you test again 2 days before the cruise and you are negative but still in the 14 day window?  According to the CDC that would be enough to get you out of quarantine but I'm curious about how it would work on the ship?  Will they just draw a line at 14 days and that's it? 

• Haha 1

The timing for this question is perfect!  We were just this morning trying to strategize our "quarantine pre-cruise-prep" and realized that my granddaughter's 3rd birthday is with-in that quarantine time.  They are not vaxed but have all had covid so they should have antibodies.  We are triple-vaxed so not too worried about becoming seriously ill should we contract it but we don't want to jeopardize our cruise by risking exposure, becoming infected and testing positive on the pre-cruise  covid test. 

I'm sure we are not alone!  So I am very interested so see how everyone is handling their circumstances during 2 weeks prior to cruising. 

Thank you everyone for sharing!

Oh I get it. My younger son graduated from Virginia Tech on 12/17, we board the Sky on the 28th. We were very careful about wearing masks and picking our seats for the ceremony where everyone was wearing masks (even though the university made numerous announcements that they were required, so took them off as soon as they sat down). Luckily, we all tested negative today.

Also, according to Princess, Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests that have tested positive for COVID-19 in the 90 days prior to embarkation, but not less than 10 days prior to embarkation, and are fully recovered. Guests will need to provide a letter of recovery from their doctor and, laboratory test results that were taken at least 10 or more days prior to embarkation, and not older than 90 days. 

So, if you test positive more than 10 days prior, you may still be able to sail.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

The timing for this question is perfect!  We were just this morning trying to strategize our "quarantine pre-cruise-prep" and realized that my granddaughter's 3rd birthday is with-in that quarantine time.  They are not vaxed but have all had covid so they should have antibodies.  We are triple-vaxed so not too worried about becoming seriously ill should we contract it but we don't want to jeopardize our cruise by risking exposure, becoming infected and testing positive on the pre-cruise  covid test. 

I'm sure we are not alone!  So I am very interested so see how everyone is handling their circumstances during 2 weeks prior to cruising. 

Thank you everyone for sharing!

We flew to FLL the Sunday after Thanksgiving to sail on Nov 30. I asked all 3 of our daughters and one boyfriend (all fully vaccinated)  to home test before coming to our house for Thanksgiving as they stay for a few days.  I just didnt want to chance it. As for any unvaccinated extended family members, sorry they were not invited and I was not going to their house either. Thats just my position. It would be trickier with under 5s who cannot be vaxxed, we dont have that situation though. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son who had covid in Jan 2020 has his answer when asked the standard question “have you been in contact with anyone who has Covid”…he always replies - “I have no idea”.  

And when you think about it that is true for all of us.  We could be in line at the grocery store with a person who is asymtomatic but has covid - but how are you suppose to know??  

There is not a 100% way to avoid risk.  Just read that CDC description mentioned in post 7.

Just do the best you can!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

My son who had covid in Jan 2020 has his answer when asked the standard question “have you been in contact with anyone who has Covid”…he always replies - “I have no idea”.  

And when you think about it that is true for all of us.  We could be in line at the grocery store with a person who is asymtomatic but has covid - but how are you suppose to know??  

There is not a 100% way to avoid risk.  Just read that CDC description mentioned in post 7.

How can the medical staff in a covid ward possibly answer NO?  Just saying.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

For sure,  as soon as any of us go out in public we have no idea who we have come in contact with, so 'No' is more of 'have you KNOWINGLY come in contact with....' Sometimes, though, the correct answer is yes, because you do know.......

Avoidance of contacts with persons who have covid is moot. Realistically as you have definitions of what "close contact" is you have already got half the equation.  If you can maintain lack of close contact with everyone not in your immediate social circle you are already able to answer no.  You are also keeping safe.  This is not always possible depending on people's jobs etc.  If you can maintain social distance at all times it is easy.

Regards John

• Like 1

OP

Husband tested positive , I tested negative. So, now…the Health assessment says “had covid in the last 10 days”. My husband will be in the clear. I will need to answer the “in close contact in the last 14 days” Yes as he was having symptoms at that time. My TA is sympathetic but clueless. The Live chat copied out what I can find on the website with the added confirmation that my Green Lane will be changed to Yellow. Their physician will “assess” me at the time. What criteria they will be using does not seem to be public knowledge.  So there does not seem to be a way to get a feel for if i will be denied boarding before we fly to FLL.  Oddly in the current climate of rising cases I would expect it would be harder for me to be granted permission to board, yet I will need to fly, stay at a hotel and use transfers to get to the port to be denied. Sigh.

39 minutes ago, hsmom said:

OP

Husband tested positive , I tested negative. So, now…the Health assessment says “had covid in the last 10 days”. My husband will be in the clear. I will need to answer the “in close contact in the last 14 days” Yes as he was having symptoms at that time. My TA is sympathetic but clueless. The Live chat copied out what I can find on the website with the added confirmation that my Green Lane will be changed to Yellow. Their physician will “assess” me at the time. What criteria they will be using does not seem to be public knowledge.  So there does not seem to be a way to get a feel for if i will be denied boarding before we fly to FLL.  Oddly in the current climate of rising cases I would expect it would be harder for me to be granted permission to board, yet I will need to fly, stay at a hotel and use transfers to get to the port to be denied. Sigh.

I think that the kicker will be your test two days prior to boarding.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:01 PM, hsmom said:

This is the Question in the health assessment:

In the 14 days prior to embarkation, were you identified as a close contact of someone with COVID-19?*

Question does not ask if you have been in close contact with someone who had Covid at the time.

It asks if you have been identified as being in close contact.

Looks to me it is asking if through contract tracing you have been so identified.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Question does not ask if you have been in close contact with someone who had Covid at the time.

It asks if you have been identified as being in close contact.

Looks to me it is asking if through contract tracing you have been so identified.

This is just a moving feast. Our Government only today changed the definition of what is a close contact - I wasn't paying great attention as my eyes just glaze over now when we get another Covid story but I think the definition is if you have spent at least 4 hours with a Covid infected person. Now that our cases have started to explode (the Country is around 90% vaccinated so the huge majority of people with Covid have a mild illness) the chances of doing timely contract tracing is remote. 

I guess my point is with close contacts. who sets the definition now as I assume many Governments are setting their own position.

We have yet to see a cruise ship down here for our summer and will not, but it seems I am as far away from a cruise as the day this virus started. Oh boy.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that needs to know: We both tested negative on our Friday tests. Flew to the port and was told emphatically that I was denied boarding. No assessment, no questions, no test, just no.

For my mental health I need everyone to know that I contacted Princess 3 separate times and asked very specific questions each time. I was told I would be assessed, likely tested again and would not be automatically denied so come to the port.

There was no one from Princess in the terminal. We were handed a form letter with our name spelled incorrectly and left to find our own way out of the security area of the terminal.

The letter indicates that Customer Service will contact us but we have had no communication yet.

So disappointed in the way that this has been handled. Not that I was denied but that I was given incorrect information, summarily dismissed at the terminal and have had no contact. 

On 12/26/2021 at 11:01 AM, hsmom said:

Very sorry to hear about the positive tests!  Here is the link to the Covid-19 protection on Princess.  The FAQ discusses what happens when an FCC was used to pay for a  portion of the effected cruise. Hope this is helpful and I hope your family members get well soon.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

update: I just read your last post about traveling to the port and being denied boarding. Very sorry to hear that. 

Edited by Shelly97060

10 hours ago, hsmom said:

For anyone that needs to know: We both tested negative on our Friday tests. Flew to the port and was told emphatically that I was denied boarding. No assessment, no questions, no test, just no.

For my mental health I need everyone to know that I contacted Princess 3 separate times and asked very specific questions each time. I was told I would be assessed, likely tested again and would not be automatically denied so come to the port.

There was no one from Princess in the terminal. We were handed a form letter with our name spelled incorrectly and left to find our own way out of the security area of the terminal.

The letter indicates that Customer Service will contact us but we have had no communication yet.

So disappointed in the way that this has been handled. Not that I was denied but that I was given incorrect information, summarily dismissed at the terminal and have had no contact. 

It's incidences like yours that make people think about not being completely truthful when answering any of their questions regarding Covid exposures. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It's incidences like yours that make people think about not being completely truthful when answering any of their questions regarding Covid exposures. 

Thank you for your comment. It gave me a sense of peace in that I am not alone in my thoughts. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Exactly.  Someone needs to get their act together on this.  You should not get all the way to the port before getting denied. Crazy

• Thanks 1