Number of passengers

Scubadoc

I'm seeing quite a few people commenting on the number of people on their ships. How do you know that? For instance we are sailing on the January 14 regal. Is there a way to know how many passengers are currently booked?  I think it would be wonderful for us to have a half empty ship but I would rather see it full so the cruise lines don't have such a hard time financially! 

Back in August, on the Majestic, there were some ship's officers at the roll call meet and greet. They told us. On the Ruby in November, we found out some way or another, but I don't remember what. We forgot to go to the meet and greet, so it wasn't that.

We just disembarked from the Majestic. They had 1400+ and 1500+ on the 11 days we were on (7 day + short 4 day cruises).  With about 1300+ crew members, it was amazing.   Elevators were almost empty and most kept to only 6 in elevator at a time.   We definitely interacted more with the crew.  Many crew members came to both meet/greets and CD Kevin stayed as long as needed to answer questions.  Captain and Kevin both made a big issue of how important our CC comments are.  They do read them!!!!  Kevin laughed about that CC knew where his next assignment was before he did.  Hope you get to cruise with him.  Disembarkation was the fastest ever!!  We did not take off our own luggage yet were in the car by 8:30.  

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

The people who know for sure are asking onboard at guest services.  EM

On Enchanted we were told by dining room director, the captain announced it as did the captain.  Last cruise and the one we're on have just over 1800 passengers and around 1330 crew.  Full crew.  Normal Xmas cruise would have 4000 passengers.  Princess is limiting.  All the crew are thrilled to be working and service is amazing. 

• Like 3

Unless you have some kind of "inside" contact at Princess...you generally cannot get information such as the passenger count (prior to sailing).  It is feely available once on board and sailing.  They will tell you at the Passenger Services Desk.  Many people speculate that Princess (and other cruise lines) might feel that it would negatively impact your choice to book.  Some people *might* take it as a negative if the ship is at less than full capacity...I for one have thoroughly enjoyed the past 3 cruises I've been on that were less than full.  Who really wants a more crowded ship?

• Like 2

I spoke to one of the MDR staff that I ended up being friendly with on one ship recently and he snuck me a look of a list of registered passenger counts... the numbers ranged from about 10% occupancy up to about 65%, with most of them around the 40% mark.

One of the legs I was on was one of the super-low occupancy ones and... it's weird. I like being left alone, but when you literally see about 15 different passengers in a week (other than eating at the MDR), it kind of throws you off.

• Like 1

I doubt anyone will tell you before you board. On my cruise earlier this month on the CB, the cruise director announced the total (1,420) at the show on the first night. Several other crew members also mentioned the number during the course of the cruise, including the loyalty and events manager at the Captain's Circle party when she broke down the numbers by loyalty level. 

49 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

What a nightmare this must be for the majority of the Guests on board.

We have been onboard Holiday sailings with lots of kids several times before.  For the most part, kids have been well-behaved.  It's usually the teens that can cause problems when the parents use the ship as a babysitter..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scubadoc said:

I'm seeing quite a few people commenting on the number of people on their ships. How do you know that? For instance we are sailing on the January 14 regal. Is there a way to know how many passengers are currently booked?  I think it would be wonderful for us to have a half empty ship but I would rather see it full so the cruise lines don't have such a hard time financially! 

We are on the same ship! Looking forward to cruising again. 🙂