How are P&O cruise days counted

triple7tahoe

We returned from the last of three cruises this past Tuesday. On two of the cruises we were told that P&O cruise days are not counted for Most Travelled while on the third cruise, P&O days were counted. None of the three Loyalty hosts could explain why they differed. I know that a few years back, Princess stopped counting P&O (and P&O does not count Princess) but I thought I had been told that Princess was counting P&O from before a certain date?? I have searched for a phone number for Princess Loyalty questions to no avail. I would appreciate any information.

There are two different things at play here.

One is if and how P&O days are counted in total Princess days sailed.

The other is if and how P&O days are counted towards the MTP for inclusion in the MTP lunch/reception.

My understanding is that currently even if P&O days are in the total Princess days sailed, they are not included in the days looked at for the MTP function. That they were counted on the 3rd recent trip by the OP was probably an error.

• Like 1

You have to examine the history of Princess Cruise Line to understand why P&O cruise days are relevant in any way.  1965 Staney McDonald founded Princess Cruises to cater for people who wanted to get to the world fair in that year.  This was followed by continuing with Mexican Riviera cruises he pioneered when the ship was not needed for its normal schedule.  By 1969 he borrowed some Costa ships and a bit later P&O bought Sitmar and unloaded the big ships onto Princess, (hence the Italian feel on Princess) and continued until 1974 when P&O purchased the company. This explains why P&O and Sitmar cruises count towards the loyalty scheme of Captains Circle. In 2000 Carnival Corporation acquired both cruise lines.  At some point it was decided to count cruise days and cruises differently.  P&O counted Princess at 50% and  Princess counted P&O in full. However in December 2017 they have no reciprocal relationship.  In terms of the most travelled passenger there is an enormous disparity between P&O and Princess Cruises as P&O cruisers could look back over a hundred years for their cruise days tally (in theory) but only back to 1965 for their Princess Cruises days tally.  So they don't count the days for MTP but they do count them for the Captains Circle Loyalty Scheme.  But only P&O cruises taken before 12 December 2017 count and only  those count if an actual Princess cruise was taken and completed by the same cut off date.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the answers and thoughts. I remember when the change was made to include P&O only from prior to December 2017 but got and continue to receive different answers regarding MTP functions. I was told to contact Captain Circle Loyalty person and given a phone number, prior to the pause. 2019 I think. Even there I got different answers? What do you folks think about the "milestone" cruises (500, 750, 1000 days)? Which count do they use?  It appears that the Loyalty person gets a list from somewhere of who is eligible--I can't believe they would have to go back and subtract previous P&O cruise on their own? My P&O/Sitmar dates do pre date the start of Princess.

The idea of including P&O and Princess cruise credits together while excluding other brands originated from P&O initially running as P&O Princess Cruise Line.  If you watch "The Love Boat" you can sometimes spot the P&O flag on the bow of Pacific Princess, or one of the temporary stand in ships occasionally used.  It persisted after P&O separated the two brands because there was an unwritten agreement not to compete head on with other rival cruise lines sailing out of Southampton and the UK.  Ten years ago the Princess sailing from the UK season was only a few months a year and the reciprocal loyalty agreement helped both lines.

Regards John