what % of RCCL cruisers are vaccinated?

beckyjohns

I know that 12 and up have to be vaccinated (unless there's some medical reason that they can't be), and all crew as well. But, ages 11 and younger do not. Does anyone know what percentage that amounts to? I've seen the number 95% kicked around, but surely the kids 0-11 make up more than 5% of the passengers on board, don't they?

95% is the requirement by CDC to not have had to do the test sailings before a ship was put back into service.  Since Royal tends to families, they knew their percentage would fall far below that due to those 11 and under.  The final percentage depends of course on how many unvaccinated kids are sailing and the holiday sailings I am sure have a considerable amount of kids compared to non-holiday/vacation periods throughout the year.  I gather the exact percentages will never be disclosed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, beckyjohns said:

Surely, they make up more than 5% of the passengers.

You are not likely to get 5% kids on a repo, or TA, or longer sailing during school. Also, COVID has probably cut back parents taking kids cruising in general.

Just some numbers for reference: I don't know the total number of unvax kids on the Anthem 12/12 sailing (12 day sailing) but there were only 54 youth with a C&A # (from DL concierge) on a sailing with a total of 2691 guests of which 1982 were C&A. Assuming the same % kids first timers, that's about 73 kids or about 2.7%.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

That would be great if vaccines stopped COVID in its tracks, but all vaccines do is reduce the risk of hospitalization and death.  And those you got vaccinated way back last January, February, or March and haven't had a booster in October or November are just as susceptible to catching COVID, especially Omicron as unvaccinated people who haven't had COVID at all.

No kidding. I never said or even suggested that the vaccinations are 100%. At least 100% vaccinated would make it more of a level playing field. I realize my opinion isn't very popular and unrealistic. How I feel. I guess I'm selfish. We are vaccinated and have had our booster shots along with our flu shots. And we don't live in a bubble. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No kidding. I never said or even suggested that the vaccinations are 100%. At least 100% vaccinated would make it more of a level playing field. I realize my opinion isn't very popular and unrealistic. How I feel. I guess I'm selfish. We are vaccinated and have had our booster shots along with our flu shots. And we don't live in a bubble. 

can you please explain what you mean by that?  I am not getting your point.

1 hour ago, beckyjohns said:

I know that 12 and up have to be vaccinated (unless there's some medical reason that they can't be), and all crew as well. But, ages 11 and younger do not. Does anyone know what percentage that amounts to? I've seen the number 95% kicked around, but surely the kids 0-11 make up more than 5% of the passengers on board, don't they?

I think that's going to change, now that 5-11 can get vaccinated.  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, davekathy said:

NO I don't think you are being selfish.  100% vaccinated and those vaccinated more than 6 months ago boosted, would be a great thing.  Until the CDC rules that cruise ships can't sail unless 100% vaccinated, the 95% reg will stand. 

I doubt the CDC would rule on 100% vaccinated until way after what ever comes after omicron is passed.  They just move too slow.  So we'll continue to cruise in less than peak family times as we've done in the past.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Is the percentage of unvaccinated compared to passengers, or to the entire population on the ship? Once you add the 100% vaccinated crew, the percent of unvaccinated drops even further. 

RCI usually doesn't provide the numbers but if they do it would be for just passengers. But to your point, the % infected they seem to be handing out lately (in the arrival letter) is for the whole ship.

On 12/27/2021 at 3:42 PM, travelhound said:

I think that's going to change, now that 5-11 can get vaccinated.  

It won’t change soon enough. We all were vaccinated so we could travel with less chance of repercussions. But, when they’re allowing so many kids under 12 and unvaccinated and medical exemptions, maybe RCL doesn’t really have their passengers and crew’s best interests. It’s all about the $. More cruise lines need to make ships VAX ONLY. 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 2:25 PM, beckyjohns said:

That seems crazy to me. On all the RCCL cruises I've ever been on, there are LOTS of kids under age 12. Surely, they make up more than 5% of the passengers.

Over the holidays there have been a large number of kids.  This happens every year, every holiday.  

Once we are into January with kids in school there will be many fewer kids on board just like every other year.  

Before the 12-18 could get vaccinated Royal was running low 90's in terms of vaccinated on board.  As 12+ became eligible the holidays also came along soon after so I'm not sure we ever heard what percentages were on board.  Then 5+ became eligible but not required.

Before Omicron hit those unvax kids were the reason all of us had to wear masks on board.  If it wasn't for Omicron going into January masks would have been eliminated.  That's moot at this point because here we are.  

January is typically well off peak largely because families don't tend to sail in January except in some regions with localized school or religious breaks that are yearly events.  Beyond those exceptions I'm betting the vax rate on board once we are completely through the holidays will be 96-98%, until spring  break.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Painter4me said:

It won’t change soon enough. We all were vaccinated so we could travel with less chance of repercussions. But, when they’re allowing so many kids under 12 and unvaccinated and medical exemptions, maybe RCL doesn’t really have their passengers and crew’s best interests. It’s all about the $. More cruise lines need to make ships VAX ONLY. 

Some cruise lines require  100% vaccination.  There are options.  Why should more cruise lines follow the policy you think is best.  There are choices in the market.  Pick the one that fits your concerns.  If I thought it was a significant risk, I sure wouldn’t cruise one that didn’t meet the standard I desired.

By the way, stating “we all got vaccinated so we could travel with less chance of repercussions” isn’t true.  Many got vaccinated for other reasons that don’t involve their own self interest in hassle free travel.  Why criticize Royal when you clearly just stated your vaccine status was based on your own personal interests to travel?   Respectfully, pot meet kettle if you think it’s wrong to have self interests.  

Just pick another cruise line if you don’t like Royal.  Why complain on here?   The only complaint that will work is with your

$ going somewhere else and quite frankly I doubt that will work anyhow.  But it is your only real vote.  

Edited by topnole

The best approach now is 100% vaccinated and 100% boosted by 6 months past the second shot (mRNA).  Or boosted two months after the J&J shot.  Those with a single shot J&J (passengers or crew) at this point should not be considered "full vaccinated".  We need to keep up with the science.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The best approach now is 100% vaccinated and 100% boosted by 6 months past the second shot (mRNA).  Or boosted two months after the J&J shot.  Those with a single shot J&J (passengers or crew) at this point should not be considered "full vaccinated".  We need to keep up with the science.

The science is ever evolving.  You can’t adjust policy every time results come

out that haven’t even started the blind peer review process.  It takes multiple studies that center on similar findings before you can even begin to think we “know” something and even still it usually takes years of continuous study to validate and eliminate alternative explanations for any results in any study (Covid or otherwise).  

So following the science can’t be done quickly.   And if they did follow the early studies it seems clear that significant transmission will happen regardless of vaccination, type of vaccination, timing of vaccination and number of shots received.  

If they pushed for what we think is the lowest risk for spread (say moderna with recent booster) they would have only a small group eligible to sail and it would still spread on ships because protection from spread is less than ideal even in that scenario.  

With Omicron they can’t win in the short run.  Period.  But luckily this wave will be relatively fast and a ton of immunity is getting built daily which will help reduce future waves.  

It’s gonna be a long process and the Findings (science) are going to evolve as we can study more situations.  Glad I don’t work in the Indy.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

The science is ever evolving.  You can’t adjust policy every time results come

out that haven’t even started the blind peer review process.  It takes multiple studies that center on similar findings before you can even begin to think we “know” something and even still it usually takes years of continuous study to validate and eliminate alternative explanations for any results in any study (Covid or otherwise).  

So following the science can’t be done quickly.   And if they did follow the early studies it seems clear that significant transmission will happen regardless of vaccination, type of vaccination, timing of vaccination and number of shots received.  

If they pushed for what we think is the lowest risk for spread (say moderna with recent booster) they would have only a small group eligible to sail and it would still spread on ships because protection from spread is less than ideal even in that scenario.  

With Omicron they can’t win in the short run.  Period.  But luckily this wave will be relatively fast and a ton of immunity is getting built daily which will help reduce future waves.  

It’s gonna be a long process and the Findings (science) are going to evolve as we can study more situations.  Glad I don’t work in the Indy.  

Agree but what about my post is inaccurate now that we are on Planet Omicron?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We need to stop pretending we have ANY control over this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Agree but what about my post is inaccurate now that we are on Planet Omicron?

First I never said your post was inaccurate.   But since you ask.  What about it is inaccurate?   Well, you said the best approach is….   And that we need

to follow the science.   

How exactly is that the best approach.  I’d say that it is way too early to make any accurate statement about a best approach.