Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

We had a complainer on our bus after an absolutely lovely boat tour titled "Flora and Fauna of the Panama Canal".   Spent 4 hours on a boat looking at all kinds of trees, sloths, birds, butterflies, water plants, wild fruits and other wild plants, and monkeys. 

She started berating the poor tour guide after we go back on the bus, "Was this the MONKEY TOUR???  This tour was supposed to be about FLORA!!!  It's right there in the title.  I didn't see a single g*d-damned flower the whole time!  I wanted to see FLORA, not just some trees and monkeys!!!"

Ugh.  The poor tour guide looked like she wanted to cry.

16 hours ago, DJVKN said:

You can't make this stuff up! People are hilarious. When we went to the American Cemetery at Normandy we had a guy ask at the visitor center where you picked up your maps where the gift shop was. The gal at the desk said "Sir you do understand this is a cemetery. Unbelievable.

Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah has a gift shop selling branded t shirts, illustrated maps, history books etc. I can't imagine it is the only one so maybe that person had a previous experience with a cemetery gift shop🤷‍♀️.  

• Like 2

Ahoy! Just want to thank you for your beautiful posts and pictures. We have been blessed to have visited many of the places you are reporting and just want to wish you smooth sailing and good health. Thank you again! 

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 113/152 - Rhodes, Greece - A modern, ancient castle

I love Rhodes. Your pictures are delightful and the weather looks like it was cooperating. The first time we were there we did a DIY and it is good thing Oceania had a late port day because we got lost in the back alleys. The next time we got off the ship early and hopped on a "boat" that went down the coast for swimming in the coves. If I get back I would like to do Lindos. May I ask want time did Viking leave port? Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TERRIER1 said:

I love Rhodes. Your pictures are delightful and the weather looks like it was cooperating. The first time we were there we did a DIY and it is good thing Oceania had a late port day because we got lost in the back alleys. The next time we got off the ship early and hopped on a "boat" that went down the coast for swimming in the coves. If I get back I would like to do Lindos. May I ask want time did Viking leave port? Thanks.

Our onboard time was 5PM and we sailed before 6PM.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for the report and the beautiful pictures.  As to the group loo, possibly where the phrase "shootin' the sh@t" came from?  On a more serious note I certainly feel bad for those now facing 10 days of missing their WC.  Keep up the good work...🍸 

Ephesus was our favorite stop on a Med cruise.  We were able to see the terrace houses while there.  The mosaics and wall paintings were amazing.  We’d love to go again.

And of course the rugs.  We bought a small one and it hangs on the wall in the family room.  It is too expensive to walk on!  We have warned the kids not to put it out at a garage sale when we die.  Lol.  We don’t usually buy “souvenirs” but our beautiful rug is an exception.

I’ve been to Kucadasi and Ephesus a few times.  I have a good friend that lives in Turkey, so we have gone to Turkey several times over the years, many times to areas off the beaten track for US tourists.  
On one of the trips, we did go rug shopping but to a place where the Turkish people buy their rugs, not tourists.  My friend did the negotiating for us.  We now have 2 hand knotted wool carpets that are on the floor, and a silk wall hanging.  That trip was an interesting experience!  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Garry, I'm enjoying your blog so much!  Question:  Did the women in Ephesus have a similar public latrine??

~Nancy 

It appears not. Our guide said that they had facilities at home. Not sure what that meant.

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Ephesus was our favorite stop on a Med cruise.  We were able to see the terrace houses while there.  The mosaics and wall paintings were amazing.  We’d love to go again.

And of course the rugs.  We bought a small one and it hangs on the wall in the family room.  It is too expensive to walk on!  We have warned the kids not to put it out at a garage sale when we die.  Lol.  We don’t usually buy “souvenirs” but our beautiful rug is an exception.

We loved Ephesus!  Even enjoyed the rugs (which we did not buy).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JM0115 said:

We loved Ephesus!  Even enjoyed the rugs (which we did not buy).

Lurker Clay here. We too loved Ephesus but had an independent guide there who we specifically told we didn’t want to go to a rug place as our time was so short there.  We had arranged for him to meet our group in Istanbul the next day. One in our group asked about Punto’s Carpets (they had friends who had purchased there) and as it was near the bazaar some of us went with the guide to the store. Mike and I had no intention of purchasing anything but somehow (not at all due to any pressure from the wonderful salespeople) we ended up with not one but two!  Other than how heavy they are to move, we have been happy with our impulse purchase. 😂

616CB28E-C853-444F-968F-2795CD2C3AB1.jpeg

3B9AD2AE-9CD8-49DB-8982-8C39F78E3DCD.jpeg

• Like 7

Garry, very impressed with your Ephesus photos and comments.  Especially your explanation of the Greek Orthodox symbol.  In Greek !  I must assume you have a knowledge of Greek.  Thank you.  We were at Ephesus in Dec.  2021, Viking, and took the included tour.  I have many of the same photos that you snapped.  On the coach ride back to port, guide asked if we wanted to visit a Government rug / silk store.  Most everyone did.  We went in.  To us, it didn't look like a Government store, just a regular store, near port.  Curious as to how your store was described.  Again, thanks for taking time for the blog.  Really enjoying it.  

We’ve been to Ephesus but haven’t bought rugs there. We did, however, buy three rugs in Fez, Morocco in 1984, and another rug in Jaipur, India in 1987. Decades later, we look at the rugs and recall the trips we made to those fascinating countries. They also remind us how old we are! 😀 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Garry, very impressed with your Ephesus photos and comments.  Especially your explanation of the Greek Orthodox symbol.  In Greek !  I must assume you have a knowledge of Greek.  Thank you.  We were at Ephesus in Dec.  2021, Viking, and took the included tour.  I have many of the same photos that you snapped.  On the coach ride back to port, guide asked if we wanted to visit a Government rug / silk store.  Most everyone did.  We went in.  To us, it didn't look like a Government store, just a regular store, near port.  Curious as to how your store was described.  Again, thanks for taking time for the blog.  Really enjoying it.  

Ha!  Google is my friend - I have no background in Greek. 🙂  A couple of quick searches gave me the background for the post.  But thanks for giving me the credit for being smarted than I actually am. 

As for the rug place, our guide said that they were tasked by the tourism authority with conveying this information to tourists to help support what is becoming a lost art in Turkey.  Different buses stopped at different stores, but the story seemed to be the same, promoting the handmade art that is Turkish rugs. The demo of the process of rug making was actually interesting and as art, the work was beautiful.  There was no significant pressure to buy, and if you did, prices were quite high.  But, for a piece that takes a weaver two years of their life to complete - I get it.

So there was no specific mention that the store was government supported or run, but the guide did admit that they are coached to promote the art.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Garry, 

Love the blog!  I recognized Narendra, one of the restaurant managers, left background in your pic of Damian.  I sent him the pic via WhatsApp.  He got a laugh out of it.  We got to know him pretty well during two months on Orion in the fall of 2018.  It’s nice to see familiar faces!

Jerry

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 116/152 - Istanbul, Turkey - A mosque, a couple of palaces, a bazaar, a concert, and no sleep

Great, as always. I had no idea the city of Istanbul was so massive. 16 million people!