Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

32 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

How old is the Captain if he has been at sea for 60 years?

The cadet said 60 years at sea - I expect he's just wowed by the Captain.  I updated the post to reflect that, and yes, I expect it's more like 40+ years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

When we did the WC in 2019 captain Olav said he was 62, I believe.   I think maybe 40 years at sea is a better bet.  

The cadet said 60 years at sea - I expect he's just wowed by the Captain.  I updated the post to reflect that, and yes, I expect it's more like 40+ years.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

When we did the WC in 2019 captain Olav said he was 62, I believe.   I think maybe 40 years at sea is a better bet.  

In Europe, lots of kids start on family fish boats at a young age. Wouldn't surprise me that he has been upon the sea for close to 60 years, as they are all a seafaring family. His 2 brothers are all Captains.

• Like 2

I loved our tour of the Viking Bridge on the Viking Sea.   Amazing what it takes to move a ship for all on board. I  too was surprised that someone still  stands watch and visually looks out at the sea. 

I also I think I remember that the Captain  quarters is right behind the bridge .

On our TA , we are in a friends Explorer's suite at the bow. It was after dinner. We sago a tour of their cabin ., the balcony and then came in and sat down for a drink. Suddenly  the cabin got a call, they needed to close their black out curtains. in the living room. The bridge could see their lights. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Azulann said:

I loved our tour of the Viking Bridge on the Viking Sea.   Amazing what it takes to move a ship for all on board. I  too was surprised that someone still  stands watch and visually looks out at the sea. 

I also I think I remember that the Captain  quarters is right behind the bridge .

On our TA , we are in a friends Explorer's suite at the bow. It was after dinner. We sago a tour of their cabin ., the balcony and then came in and sat down for a drink. Suddenly  the cabin got a call, they needed to close their black out curtains. in the living room. The bridge could see their lights. 

Yes, you do not want glare.  And most accidents with ships happen when they forget to occasionally look out the windows.  Modern electronics are marvelous but they do occasionally have blips.  Just think about your home computer.  That's why most ships bridges have at least two of everything....🍸

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Affirmative, the Captain's cabin is just aft of the Bridge. Traditionally, the Captain's cabin is always on the Stb'd side, as under the Collision Regs, you must give way to a crossing vessel on the Stb'd side.

Any lights displayed fwd negatively impacts the Bridge Officer's night vision. It also can impair the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights to other ships. The other one is camera flashes at night, if fwd of the Bridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Azulann said:

On our TA , we are in a friends Explorer's suite at the bow. It was after dinner. We sago a tour of their cabin ., the balcony and then came in and sat down for a drink . Suddenly  the cabin got a call, they needed to close their black out curtains. in the living room. The bridge could see their lights. 

Hey Azulann, 

Thanks for the memories of that TA cruise.  I was much chagrinned  when the call came down from the bridge to close the blackout curtains.  No one told us before hand to keep them closed at night.  But we quickly and happily complied. We loved the accommodations and have booked them for an upcoming November cruise on the Star this time.  Based on FCC's from a prior cancelled cruise and the 125% voucher, we could upgrade our cabin with no additional out-of-pocket payment.

Senior Gators

Edited by Senior Gators
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Senior Gators said:

Hey Azulann, 

Thanks for the memories of that TA cruise.  I was much chagrinned  when the call came down from the bridge to close the blackout curtains.  No one told us before hand to keep them closed at night.  But we quickly and happily complied. We loved the accommodations and have booked them for an upcoming November cruise on the Star this time.  Based on FCC's from a prior cancelled cruise and the 125% voucher, we could upgrade our cabin with no additional out-of-pocket payment.

Senior Gators

So glad you are sailing again in an Explorer suite. What is the itinerary you will be doing? . That TA was  such a fun cruise we took and got to meet  you and your wife .  It was my first Viking cruise and it got me hooked on Viking Ocean ships. 
I told my friends about your cabin and they booked it last summer for a Viking Iceland cruise. 

On 2/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, Heidi13 said:

In Europe, lots of kids start on family fish boats at a young age. Wouldn't surprise me that he has been upon the sea for close to 60 years, as they are all a seafaring family. His 2 brothers are all Captains.

Exactly what I thought.  Son of a son of a sailor.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 63/152 - Mindelo, São Vicente, Cape Verde Islands - Land Ho!

Your blog is remarkable. Looking forward to the 62/152 blog whenever it is ready. Thank you so much for sharing your incredible journey!

16 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 63/152 - Mindelo, São Vicente, Cape Verde Islands - Land Ho!

Garry, love your blog. I like your writing style. I love love love your photos but most of all I really am enjoying your frank, this is how it is, way of describing your experiences. You don't sugar coat it. My DH and I were to of been on this cruise as well. Since we had already been to South America and Europe many times it was no longer an experience that excited us but I am so happy that you and Arlona are enjoying the trip. Continued safe travels and calm seas.

Diana

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DJVKN said:

Garry, love your blog. I like your writing style. I love love love your photos but most of all I really am enjoying your frank, this is how it is, way of describing your experiences. You don't sugar coat it. My DH and I were to of been on this cruise as well. Since we had already been to South America and Europe many times it was no longer an experience that excited us but I am so happy that you and Arlona are enjoying the trip. Continued safe travels and calm seas.

Diana

Thanks, Diana.  Glad you are enjoying it.  It is my way of remember what/where/when we did everything.  I forget on a 7-day cruise, let alone 152 days! 🙂

32 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

Thanks, Diana.  Glad you are enjoying it.  It is my way of remember what/where/when we did everything.  I forget on a 7-day cruise, let alone 152 days! 🙂

I found this out on the 54 day cruise from Athens to Santiago we did a few months ago.  The ports in Europe have become a blur to me because so many consecutive days of ports.  Once we got to Madeira, our ports became much more distinct in my memory.

43 minutes ago, Aquadesiac said:

Don't worry, all of your readers still enjoy the posts even if we have read a similar account or two.  I commented on Garry's latest post that here in Pacific Time Zone I had been reading posts from the world cruise the morning after they were posted.  Now that you have travelled a bit, I sometimes read them at lunchtime when they were posted in the evening.

Each blogger has a style and unique perspective and we enjoy traveling with you albeit vicariously

• Like 8

Thanks, PasadenaDave. I waited anxiously for posts from Rose and the Kolbs before we boarded in LA. Now I'm saving them for a treat after we get home  in May, as a way to relive the journey through another's eyes. Here's another offering from me and the DH!

Day 46 https://roundtheworldwriter.blogspot.com/2022/02/day-46-more-photos-from-cape-verde.html

• Like 3