Boarding Time/process changes at FLL for Princess?

kywildcatfanone

On our recent cruise, the first people were in line around 9:00 am (as were the people when we got off the ship). They let us inside around 10:30 to go through the initial check-in process (which was quick) and then were led to the appropriate waiting rooms (Full Suite & Elite, Platinum, and all others). We boarded the ship at just after 11:00 am.

10 hours ago, Upper Bob said:

On our recent cruise, the first people were in line around 9:00 am (as were the people when we got off the ship). They let us inside around 10:30 to go through the initial check-in process (which was quick) and then were led to the appropriate waiting rooms (Full Suite & Elite, Platinum, and all others). We boarded the ship at just after 11:00 am.

Thanks.  Sounds like that hasn't changed, good to know.

9 hours ago, Upper Bob said:

January will be our first cruise (at least we hope we will go) since the pandemic. We've always been able to get on the ship fairly early, but I'm not familiar with the new process. I completed everything on the Medallion app and it says to proceed to the green lane and arrival group is A. What does that mean?? I had enough trouble just getting the app to work right, so I don't want to go back in there...I'm afraid I'll mess everything up! 

13 minutes ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

January will be our first cruise (at least we hope we will go) since the pandemic. We've always been able to get on the ship fairly early, but I'm not familiar with the new process. I completed everything on the Medallion app and it says to proceed to the green lane and arrival group is A. What does that mean?? I had enough trouble just getting the app to work right, so I don't want to go back in there...I'm afraid I'll mess everything up! 

You just show your docs at the desk (lots of podiums scattered around for check in)  and have your medallion scanned.

Super Easy!

• Thanks 2

Yes, there have been changes although the actual implementation is not always as advertised.  You are asked to use the Princess Medallion App to handle your pre-cruise process including entering health data.  These is a section of that app where you can request a preferred boarding time (broken down into various groups with assigned times to arrive at the port).  The earliest groups get a time starting at 11:30 (no guarantee that this is when the boarding process will actually begin).  

On our recent Enchanted cruise, we were able to get the 2nd group (11:30 - 12:30) but arrived at the port around 11am.  Upon arrival we were immediately allowed in the terminal where are documents (vaccination form, COVID test results, and Passports) were checked.  Since we had our medallions pre cruise (some folks need to pick them up at the port) we quickly moved through the process and were directed to a large room full of "Elites/Platinums."  We barely had time to find a seat before the boarding process started (about 11:20) and we were on the ship within 15 minutes after one final stop to have our Medallions scanned and pictures updated.  Once aboard it was a relatively normal embarkation day with lunch being served in one of the MDRs, at the Lido, or at Gigi's.  There is no longer a muster drill.  You are directed to watch a safety video in your cabin and then head to your muster area (for us it was the main Theater) where your medallion is scanned, and you receive some very brief instructions.

On our particular cruise those who showed-up at the port before their allotted time were processed without a hassle.  But this might have happened because there were only about 1400 souls embarking that day (with another 400+ doing the 2nd half of back to backs).  

Getting back to the Medallion app, when you complete the various forms, you will get assigned to either a Green or Yellow embarkation line.  At the port there were two separate lines (Green and Yellow) with the Greens (including moi) quickly moving through the process.  Those with Yellow had one or more additional steps because they had not successfully completed the pre-cruise App process.  

Hank

P,S,  The Medallion App (for which you need a Smartphone or device like an iPad) has a place where you can request a disembarkation time at the end of your cruise.  This part of the App was not being used for our cruise.  We were never asked if we had a disembarkation time preference (even though we are Elite) but simply received the usual colored luggage tags about 2 days before the end of our cruise.  If one was unhappy with their assigned group/time they would have needed to go to Guest Relations to request a change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, there have been changes although the actual implementation is not always as advertised.  You are asked to use the Princess Medallion App to handle your pre-cruise process including entering health data.  These is a section of that app where you can request a preferred boarding time (broken down into various groups with assigned times to arrive at the port).  The earliest groups get a time starting at 11:30 (no guarantee that this is when the boarding process will actually begin).  

On our recent Enchanted cruise, we were able to get the 2nd group (11:30 - 12:30) but arrived at the port around 11am.  Upon arrival we were immediately allowed in the terminal where are documents (vaccination form, COVID test results, and Passports) were checked.  Since we had our medallions pre cruise (some folks need to pick them up at the port) we quickly moved through the process and were directed to a large room full of "Elites/Platinums."  We barely had time to find a seat before the boarding process started (about 11:20) and we were on the ship within 15 minutes after one final stop to have our Medallions scanned and pictures updated.  Once aboard it was a relatively normal embarkation day with lunch being served in one of the MDRs, at the Lido, or at Gigi's.  There is no longer a muster drill.  You are directed to watch a safety video in your cabin and then head to your muster area (for us it was the main Theater) where your medallion is scanned, and you receive some very brief instructions.

On our particular cruise those who showed-up at the port before their allotted time were processed without a hassle.  But this might have happened because there were only about 1400 souls embarking that day (with another 400+ doing the 2nd half of back to backs).  

Getting back to the Medallion app, when you complete the various forms, you will get assigned to either a Green or Yellow embarkation line.  At the port there were two separate lines (Green and Yellow) with the Greens (including moi) quickly moving through the process.  Those with Yellow had one or more additional steps because they had not successfully completed the pre-cruise App process.  

Hank

P,S,  The Medallion App (for which you need a Smartphone or device like an iPad) has a place where you can request a disembarkation time at the end of your cruise.  This part of the App was not being used for our cruise.  We were never asked if we had a disembarkation time preference (even though we are Elite) but simply received the usual colored luggage tags about 2 days before the end of our cruise.  If one was unhappy with their assigned group/time they would have needed to go to Guest Relations to request a change.

Very helpful information! That app was a pain, but we are in the green line. Leaving in about 2 weeks...hopefully. 

7 minutes ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

Very helpful information! That app was a pain, but we are in the green line. Leaving in about 2 weeks...hopefully. 

That app can become your friend once aboard :).  I normally hang out in the atrium (near the International Cafe) early in the morning while DW continues to sleep.  My norm was to sit at one of the tables (which gives me social distancing) where most folks removed their masks.  Rather then getting in a line for coffee/cappuccino, I would simply use the App to put in my order.  Within a few short minutes one of the masked wait staff would bring the order to my table.   In the early evening (before dinner) DW and I would often hang out at the Bellini Bar.  If we wanted a bar snack (there were no snacks at the bars on the Enchanted) we simply used our app to order some potato chips which would be delivered (by room service) to our seat at the bar :).   On deck we would often use the App to order drinks (you can also use it to order all kinds of food) which would be delivered to our loungers wherever we happened to sit.  

This was our 4th or 5th cruise with the various forms of the App.  Princess does keep improving the App and it works a lot better now then in years past.  I suspect that if we live another 20 years the cruise line might get it right :).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There is no longer a muster drill.  You are directed to watch a safety video in your cabin and then head to your muster area (for us it was the main Theater) where your medallion is scanned, and you receive some very brief instructions.

Where did they inform you which area to report to & have your medallion scanned? 

My thinking it's the same location as given on the back of your cabin door.

I hope they never go back to the antiquated way of holding muster drill. 

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

That app can become your friend once aboard :).  I normally hang out in the atrium (near the International Cafe) early in the morning while DW continues to sleep.  My norm was to sit at one of the tables (which gives me social distancing) where most folks removed their masks.  Rather then getting in a line for coffee/cappuccino, I would simply use the App to put in my order.  Within a few short minutes one of the masked wait staff would bring the order to my table.   In the early evening (before dinner) DW and I would often hang out at the Bellini Bar.  If we wanted a bar snack (there were no snacks at the bars on the Enchanted) we simply used our app to order some potato chips which would be delivered (by room service) to our seat at the bar :).   On deck we would often use the App to order drinks (you can also use it to order all kinds of food) which would be delivered to our loungers wherever we happened to sit.  

This was our 4th or 5th cruise with the various forms of the App.  Princess does keep improving the App and it works a lot better now then in years past.  I suspect that if we live another 20 years the cruise line might get it right :).

Hank

More good information, thank you! I just now booked my Crown Grill reservation using the app. Haha, I'm the one who hangs out near the IC in the morning while husband sleeps in! I will definitely try ordering from the app! 

25 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Where did they inform you which area to report to & have your medallion scanned? 

My thinking it's the same location as given on the back of your cabin door.

I hope they never go back to the antiquated way of holding muster drill. 

Already answered but we simply went to our assigned lifeboat station which was indicated on the back of the cabin door.  It may have also been somewhere on the App but we did not look,  When we got to our muster station there were some crew waiting just outside the theater.  It took less than 30 seconds to have our Medallions scanned and be told some basic things such as "this is where you come in an emergency."   The video which you must watch in your cabin will come on automatically when you turn on your TV and it blocks the use of other TV channels until you actually do view the App (or just let it play while you unpack).   Is all this going to be adequate in the case of a real emergency?  Guess we will have to wait to know the answer.  Over our many years of cruising (more then 45) we have noticed the constant changes in the muster drill.  When we first started cruising it was a very serious event which involved a briefing, actually learning how to put on a life vest, going to your assigned boat, etc.  Gradually lines began to move most (or all) of the muster drill inside to various public lounges.  There are certainly valid reasons for the changes.   

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

There is no longer a muster drill.  You are directed to watch a safety video in your cabin and then head to your muster area (for us it was the main Theater) where your medallion is scanned, and you receive some very brief instructions.

Sometimes it can be even easier than that. On our way to our cabin after boarding, we passed right be what we knew had to be our muster station. Guy was standing there waiting for people to show up, so we got our medallions scanned right then.

• Thanks 1

You are asked to select an arrival group as a part of the check-in process in the app. They mention that if you arrive before the time scheduled for that group, you may be asked to leave and return at the assigned time.

IMG_0269.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

The App is great, I could live without the Medallion.

23 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

You are asked to select an arrival group as a part of the check-in process in the app. They mention that if you arrive before the time scheduled for that group, you may be asked to leave and return at the assigned time.

Just logged into the app, it doesn't let me select a group, is that only available a certain number of days or something before boarding?

11 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Just logged into the app, it doesn't let me select a group, is that only available a certain number of days or something before boarding?

Yes, the option to select your boarding group appears up to 45 days before your cruise from what I have heard. Our most recent one appeared 25 days before our cruise.

20 hours ago, Upper Bob said:

Roughly the same for the inaugural sailing of the Emerald, post-COVID at LA.  I think my party was the first in line at LA's port.  Keep in mind... inaugural sailing... so all of the rooms had no guests the previous night.

16 hours ago, Torfamm said:

IMG_0269.jpg

They could but most likely they'll just process you with the group already boarding. Since most people don't really have any where's to go, turning them away will only add to the congestion of the new arrivals.