Test Kits in Short Supply Nationally

mcrcruiser

I just checked at CVS Minute Clinic and have my choice of appointments if I can test between 5-14 days from now. Don't need one but they are available. Must drive 8 miles

Or tomorrow must drive 17 miles. Nothing today unless I don't want a witnessed test. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I just checked at CVS Minute Clinic and have my choice of appointments if I can book between 5-14 days from now. Don't need one but they are available 

What about the availability of the Abbott Lab antigen home test kits availability now ?

No problem in San Diego.   Plenty of spots available for Rapid Antigen tests.   Just do not leave it to the last minute.

Best bet is the at home test kits recommended by Princess.  Delivery within 2 days most times.  Handy to have around.

I ordered the BinaxNOW test kits last week through the Princess link (Optum website). I received them within 24 hours. I noticed that the website now says to allow 3 days for delivery. I'm so glad I ordered them last week because I would be getting worried now (we don't leave for about 3 weeks...if we still go). You do have to pay $69 for 2 tests, but it was worth it to me for the peace of mind. I ordered 2 kits (4 tests) as recommended by other posters. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

What about the availability of the Abbott Lab antigen home test kits availability now ?

call your local pharmacies for the at home self test ones if you just want to test and do not need proctored.  After all everybody's area is different so you have to check what it is like in your own area.

Got some of the proctored ones from eMed a couple of days ago with no problem.  You can find their availability on their web site.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

How are you doing if your cruise is close at hand with a supply shortage of test kits nationally. Are you able to get tested 2 days prior to the embarkation date of your cruise ?

We don't have the rapid tests available in our area at CVS, etc., so we ordered the Binax NOW proctored. No worries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nocl said:

call your local pharmacies for the at home self test ones if you just want to test and do not need proctored.  After all everybody's area is different so you have to check what it is like in your own area.

Got some of the proctored ones from eMed a couple of days ago with no problem.  You can find their availability on their web site.

So you must pay extra for these tests . Seems to me   then to be sure you can get tested 2 days before a cruise   you have to shell out additional costs  . Perhaps there are many people (not on these boards ) that are looking at the   inconvenience of getting tested the 2 days prior & then if need be all the additional cost .This certainly   makes a impact on people wanting to cruise as a vacation along with ports closing to  cruise ships , covid cases being reported on ships ie 

1 hour ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

I ordered the BinaxNOW test kits last week through the Princess link (Optum website). I received them within 24 hours. I noticed that the website now says to allow 3 days for delivery. I'm so glad I ordered them last week because I would be getting worried now (we don't leave for about 3 weeks...if we still go). You do have to pay $69 for 2 tests, but it was worth it to me for the peace of mind. I ordered 2 kits (4 tests) as recommended by other posters. 

I ordered Dec 24th, says delivery today.

Don’t think so.  Fedex…we will see.

2 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

What is the Expiration dates on Binax from those of you who Ordered &

received them recently?

(I've been waiting to order til new batches with summer + expiration dates)

Minutes ago, Fedex delivered the tests I ordered two days ago.  The tests were manufactured 12/09/21and are valid until 11/06/22.  Looks like a fresh batch.  Hope this helps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

What is the Expiration dates on Binax from those of you who Ordered &

received them recently?

(I've been waiting to order til new batches with summer + expiration dates)

It looks like the expiration on all of my BinaxNOW boxes is 11/06/2022. If we don't mess up a test, we'll have two extra tests for Alaska next July! I ordered them 12/21/21 and received them 12/22/21 (FedEx). 

Edited by Clownfish Cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I hate zoom & facetime. Nope. Will go to Minute Clinic or StatMed and do my April 21st one there. 

Ombud, my mom lives in your vicinity.  I helped her with her proctored test at home.

I brought over a small tripod to hold my Iphone.  Did my test first so she could see the procedure.

Then we did hers.  I was sitting off to the side to help Tilt the iphone when it was time

for the proctor to SEE her opening the packets, and doing swabbing.

If you happen to watch any of the testing videos online (there's several that people on the boards post

a Link to,  just click on it to watch)  You can see how easy it is, and even easier if you have a helper

for you first time.

Hey, Whatever works!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, croozer said:

Minutes ago, Fedex delivered the tests I ordered two days ago.  The tests were manufactured 12/09/21and are valid until 11/06/22.  Looks like a fresh batch.  Hope this helps.

I'm glad you got them! It looks like we got the same "batch." Mine were also manufactured 12/09/2021. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Ombud, my mom lives in your vicinity.  I helped her with her proctored test at home.

I brought over a small tripod to hold my Iphone.  Did my test first so she could see the procedure.

Then we did hers.  I was sitting off to the side to help Tilt the iphone when it was time

If you happen to watch any of the testing videos online (there's several that people on the boards post

a Link to,  just click on it to watch)  You can see how easy it is, and even easier if you have a helper

for you first time.

Hey, Whatever works!

Yeah, I have a desk stand for my phone when I must zoom. Yes, whatever works 

On 12/28/2021 at 3:41 PM, croozer said:

Great idea.  That will help others.

I ordered mine Optum store usung Princess link on Dec 24….got them today Dec 29.  They were shipped Dec 27th because of the holiday.

Anyway, the expiration is the same as others recently posted 11/06/2022.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

for you first time.

Hey, Whatever works!

We ordered the BinaxNow kits through Princess since we'll be flying in 2 days before we board ship.  I plan to use my iPhone for the proctored test.  Not being very technical, I'm concerned the phone will go into sleep mode during the 15 minute wait and the test would be invalid.  Was that a problem for you?  

Edited by I object 2