How Big is Too Big?

WmFCoyote

We are booked on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Grand in a window suite. Our son just moved to Hawaii and we were going to bring a house warming gift with us on our cruise. He now lives in Hilo which is one of our ports. The item weighs 33 lbs and the box is 28" x 28" x 7".

Does anyone see any issues with taking this with us? Of course there is always the possibility that the cruise will be canceled by Covid or its variants. I would ask Princess but am unable to find any contact number or address except 1-800-774-6237.

My experience with using Princess as a courier service:

Trip A:  Stopped by security as I was taking items off the ship in Honolulu.  Trader Joes' items/Macy's items/Piggy Bank etc.  All items bought from the United States.  Security asked me to step aside since I did not clear these items through customs.  They had to "find" a CBP officer to clear me.  30 minutes later, they came by and told me I could leave.  No CBP visit.  I was sternly warned that the next time, I needed to fill out a customs form a couple of days before arriving in the islands at the Customer Service Desk.  It was a direct sail from California to Hawaii.  Ensenada was on the way back.

Trip B:  Jumped through Princess' hoops.  Asked for a Customs Form from Customer Service Desk 2 days before arriving in the islands.  Front said I didn't need to.  I had to argue the point until someone from the back came out.  She had to check with security and would get back to me.  A return to the desk to pick up the form, filled it out, returned it.  I was instructed to be in the Deck 6 dining room at 6:15 AM to meet with CPB. 

Arrived at 6 AM.  Waited and waited and waited.  Finally, they told me to wait in the International Cafe area at 8 and some one would come out to get me.  They needed to process crew that were leaving.  Went back in.  CBP was very thorough.  Wanted to see every item I was taking ashore.  A large penguin bank, wrapping paper, birthday gifts, and sundry of other items I was transferring from my house to my daughter's.  Granted...there were about 10 items.

CBP asked for receipts.  I told her that some of these items were 30 years old and belonged to my daughter.  We went back and forth for a while.  I offered to leave my suitcase (carrier for items) with them.  She told me I could take it back to my room.  Got the okay but still had to stop at security on the way out.  

As for size.  Airline limits are 65 linear inches and under 50 pounds.

Good luck taking over your house warming gift.  Hilo is my favorite port stop.  Hope your son enjoys his new home on Hawaii Island.

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

@cr8tiv1, that sounds crazy.  How can there be a CBP situation between CA and HI?  If you flew the stuff as baggage, there would be no issue.  It's like CBP agent had nothing better to do and in the end you get to take the stuff ashore.

The ship is foreign territory and has shops on board. The packages were not in a bonded compartment designed for transit of goods from the mainland to Hawai'i.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The ship is foreign territory and has shops on board. The packages were not in a bonded compartment designed for transit of goods from the mainland to Hawai'i.

I've made this trip over several times before without any complications.  But I do understand the policy (growing up on the islands).  It is difficult to produce receipts for "vintage" household treasures being transported.  I did have receipts for Macy's and Trader Joe's (sure wish they would open a store here).  None of my items would have been sold on the ship.  I play by the rules and do what I must.  

When I fly over, I have three suitcases.  Maybe half of one suitcase is my stuff.  Much easier to deal with than bringing it over by ship.  Lesson learned.

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

1 hour ago, DeltaBreeze said:

Customs is required because the ship sails though international waters.

On a cruise from Vancouver to Whittier passengers go through US immigration before they board the ship. (I do not remember any US Customs form or inspection when doing this.)

Once on board you are on foreign territory (the ship) and you do sail in International waters.

Yet when you reach Whittier there is no immigration or customs to go through.

I see no difference between that and sailing from mainland USA directly to Hawaii.

I would try to call CBP in Hilo. Mention to them exactly what you have, and ask what forms, if any, are required. Forms should be available on line. Also mention if the item(s) is new or a used household item like a household table or artwork. If they indicate any direct inspection ask them if they could mark their schedule for your ship's arrival. Otherwise ask Princess to arrange for an inspection once on board. Note that agricultural products are not permitted.

Sounds like 28 X 28 is not too big to fit through the xray scanner if carried on. You can also have it as checked baggage. 

Edited by skynight