CDC Says Avoid Cruise Travel Regardless of Vaccination Status

howiefrommd

Reuters: "The CDC raised its COVID-19 travel health notice level for cruise ships to four - its highest warning level - from three, citing reports of COVID-19 outbreaks on cruises.  

"(CDC) said people should avoid traveling on cruise ships regardless of their vaccination status, as daily COVID-19 cases in the country climb to record highs..."

Hopefully, Regent will asap revise its no refund policy for early 2023 cruises.  It is a personal decision to willingly assume the risk. 

For me, as Sam Goldwyn famously said, "INCLUDE ME OUT!"

The CDC is acting like Chicken Little (“The sky is falling!”).  I think they just come out with these things to cover their own butts.  I feel safer cruising than going to my local grocery store.  We are on the Oceania Riviera right now and while we have had positive cases Oceania’s response has been immediate and responsible.  

Edited by FengShui@Sea
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, cruiseluv said:

The cruise companies should contact the airline companies and find out how they’re able to influence the CDC. 

How true…. Why do the airlines have so much power over the CDC? Their letter was responsible for the lowering of number of days from 10 to 5 for isolation. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

In due respect, in getting back to my original question, does anyone have any idea what happens to travel insurance with an edict like this?

Thanks

Absolutely no impact, not a justification for canceling. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Absolutely no impact, not a justification for canceling. 

Thanks.  I was just concerned that if I am on a cruise and something was to happen (i.e. medically) that I would have coverage.

Never a dull moment.  Thanks and Have a Happy and Healthy New Year.  Howie

31 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

The CDC is acting like Chicken Little (“The sky is falling!”).  I think they just come out with these things to cover their own butts.  I feel safer cruising than going to my local grocery store.  We are on the Oceania Riviera right now and while we have had positive cases Oceania’s response has been immediate and responsible.  

I'm glad you're feeling safe and having a good cruise.  But think about being one of those pa who tested positive?  That would not be a good experience, no matter how good Oceania's response was.

• Like 3

I’m not sure that the CDC is wrong to recommend against cruising at this time, given that there are 90 cruise ships now sailing with Covid aboard. But the CDC has been wrong from the start in not requiring distancing on airlines. IMHO, distancing is the most overlooked and perhaps the most important prevention tool. And there is far, far better distancing on a Regent ship than on an airliner, even in business/first class. Of course, with airlines cancelling 1000 flights per day since December 23, we are “distancing” ourselves from airlines! We wouldn’t fly now I’d we were paid to do so.

And the CDC is overlooking the greater distancing on ships in Regent’s class when compared to the packed-in lines and crowds on so-called mass market and budget lines. We quit considering them two decades before anybody even heard of Covid. The CDC is treating Regent and the cattle car lines as though they were the same, and they aren’t. Not even close.

• Like 6

I realize that insurance coverage is different for people living in different countries.  As well, insurance policies within countries have different disclaimers and coverage.  

We live in Canada, and our insurance coverage will, currently, cover medical insurance for COVID under specific circumstances.  However, we are not eligible for trip cancellation costs or trip interruption costs.  

Within the past few weeks, insurance coverage has changed as rapidly as the restrictions put in place, as well as the guidelines provided by the government (federal and provincial).  I would be reading any insurance policy very carefully, and getting updated information in writing.  Two of the policies we use no longer cover anything related to COVID.

Of course, if you self insure, that's a whole different ball game.  My heart goes out to all of you who will be sailing soon as you try to navigate these new waters.  Those curve balls just keep on coming.

• Like 1

Here's why I think this is important.

"Between Nov. 30 and Dec. 14, cruise ships operating in U.S. waters reported 162 cases of COVID-19 to the CDC. Between Dec. 15 and Dec. 29, cruise ships sailing in U.S. waters reported 5,013 COVID-19 cases to the CDC. That's nearly 31 times the number of cases reported in the first two weeks of December, the CDC said."

As for the airplane comparison, experts have been saying since this began that flying for a couple of hours on a plane is not the same a living on a cruise ship for a week or two.

Tom.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, wristband said:

Reuters: "The CDC raised its COVID-19 travel health notice level for cruise ships to four - its highest warning level - from three, citing reports of COVID-19 outbreaks on cruises.  

"(CDC) said people should avoid traveling on cruise ships regardless of their vaccination status, as daily COVID-19 cases in the country climb to record highs..."

Hopefully, Regent will asap revise its no refund policy for early 2023 cruises.  It is a personal decision to willingly assume the risk. 

For me, as Sam Goldwyn famously said, "INCLUDE ME OUT!"

What are you referring to… no refund policy for early 2023 cruises. Please explain. 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

4 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

And yet, flying on airplanes (with masks...just like we're now doing on Regent) I guess, is "perfectly safe"??

or malls or bball games or theaters and the list goes on.  This is not ebola, denge malaria .... let's move along.  omicron is basically a bad cold.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, giustot said:

Here's why I think this is important.

"Between Nov. 30 and Dec. 14, cruise ships operating in U.S. waters reported 162 cases of COVID-19 to the CDC. Between Dec. 15 and Dec. 29, cruise ships sailing in U.S. waters reported 5,013 COVID-19 cases to the CDC. That's nearly 31 times the number of cases reported in the first two weeks of December, the CDC said."

As for the airplane comparison, experts have been saying since this began that flying for a couple of hours on a plane is not the same a living on a cruise ship for a week or two.

Tom.

Thanks for this information. Where can I find the quoted reference? I'm interested in learning how they are measuring this.

Between Nov. 30 and Dec. 14, cruise ships operating in U.S. waters reported 162 cases of COVID-19 to the CDC. Between Dec. 15 and Dec. 29, cruise ships sailing in U.S. waters reported 5,013 COVID-19 cases to the CDC. That's nearly 31 times the number of cases reported in the first two weeks of December, the CDC said."

Thank you for posting this….excellent context as to how Covid is evolving and it’s impact on cruising.  

• Like 1

That's nearly 31 times the number of cases reported in the first two weeks of December, the CDC said

But no context given as to:

• the number of passengers & crew sailing during the respective periods
  • the severity of the cases reported
  • whether those testing positive had any symptoms
  • number of passengers or crew requiring hospitalisation
  • the outcome of the “CDC investigations
  • a comparison between infection rates on cruise ships and those on land
  • cruise ship compliance with CDC rules & guidelines
  • CDCs opinion of cruise line health &safety protocols

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1