Navigator New Years Cruise

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

"No" printed Cruise Compass available at all ?? This is crazy...I'm not an app person at all !!

My response to you is not just about RCI but about nearly all cruise lines.  In the past few years the cruise industry has been gradually moving away from using "paper" and replacing it with various onboard Apps.  This is also happening in many other industries so you can even find yourself using a phone App to unlock a hotel door (very common with Hilton properties).  

We know that there are many folks (especially in my senior age group) that have been slow to adapt to "Smartphones" and the related "Apps" but as a frequent world traveler I have been telling folks that we are now reaching a tipping point where having a Smartphone and knowing how to use it is become a necessity for travel/cruising.  Just this past summer when we flew to Greece to take a cruise we really needed working Smartphones/apps in order to comply with the COVID rules in some countries.  Finding a hard copy work around would have been very difficult and may have resulted in significant delays (enroute).

In Greece we actually dined in some restaurants that truly had no hard copy menus.  If you did not have a device such as a Smartphone or an iPad you would not have been able to see the menu.  We actually watched one couple try to deal with this by having their waiter verbally tell them the menu (there was a language barrier that made this "interesting").  

So my message to folks planning on cruising/traveling is that now is probably a good time to move into the current era with a Smartphone and learn how to use it.   And by the way, not having a working Smartphone can really put you at a huge disadvantage when dealing with frequent airline changes/cancelations.  If you are stuck at an airport because you miss a connection (or a connecting flight is cancelled) using the appropriate Smartphone App can often quickly resolve the situation and get you on another flight.  Without that phone you will either find yourself waiting in a very long queue (this can take hours) or on a phone line where the hold time can also be measured in hours (some airlines have had hold times as long as 6 hours).   Another issue can be using Uber/Lyft for which you must have an App.  In some places it can be darn near impossible to find a taxi and using Uber/Lyft is the only viable solution.

Hank

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

"No" printed Cruise Compass available at all ?? This is crazy...I'm not an app person at all !!

I think you can ask for one at Guest Services.  The app isn't hard to use and has lots of information including menus for all dining venues and bars. There's a person at a Kiosk on the Promenade who is happy to show you how to use it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Just off Navigator today from the 7 nt NYE cruise... Everything is done via the app so no Cruise Compass. Anything in particular you're looking for?

Not about the compass but was there a hair blow dryer in the cabin?  Pacing a few things for our 1/17 sailing and trying to decide if I need to bring one.  TIA

☺️ Feeling really stupid...not sure how I missed it...but...

We've been sailing on the Navigator since the re-start in California, November 19, 2021.

We got home yesterday at the end of the New Year's cruise.

I asked my wife if she had any of the cruise compass.

She said "Duh, they stopped delivering Cruise Compasses in our cabin."

I asked "Since when?"

She said, rolling her eyes "A couple of cruises ago...at least...but you can still get a copy at guest services if you want."

*My New Year resolution: Refrain from alcohol until the next cruise.☺️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, imola said:

Not about the compass but was there a hair blow dryer in the cabin?  Pacing a few things for our 1/17 sailing and trying to decide if I need to bring one.  TIA

All RCI ships have a hair dryer in the desk drawer. However I usually still bring my own.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

We've been sailing on the Navigator since the re-start in California, November 19, 2021.

I asked my wife if she had any of the cruise compass.

She said "Duh, they stopped delivering Cruise Compasses in our cabin."

I asked "Since when?"

She said, rolling her eyes "A couple of cruises ago...at least...but you can still get a copy at guest services if you want."

*My New Year resolution: Refrain from alcohol until the next cruise.☺️

On another thread someone posted them from Nov 27, 2021 on Navigator. So it seems like you can still get them at guest services...hopefully.

2 hours ago, imola said:

Yes... there was a hairdryer in the top drawer of the vanity. It's not very strong so, depending on your hair type. you may want to bring your own.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

On another thread someone posted them from Nov 27, 2021 on Navigator. So it seems like you can still get them at guest services...hopefully.

Currently on the Navigator and ‘Yes’ you can still get paper Compass at Guest services.

The compass has the hours listed for each area which I find helpful, which is not listed in the APP like the hours of the loyalty ambassador.

My room steward told me they no longer supplied to them, but said he would get me one and he would need to go to Guest services to get every day so I told him, I will go myself instead of having him make the xtra trip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wallyj said:

Currently on the Navigator and ‘Yes’ you can still get paper Compass at Guest 

Thanks for that info. Can you tell me anything about the place "To Dry For" is it open do you need to make appt etc?

What is your itinerary,?

3 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Thanks for that info. Can you tell me anything about the place "To Dry For" is it open do you need to make appt etc?

What is your itinerary,?

To Dry For, is a ‘Hair Blow out type’ business. Currently with the lower capacity, you can walk in but they do make appointments. Open all day. Navigator itineraries are 3 day to Ensenada, 4 days include Catalina. Current cruise is 3 day cruise.

21 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Does the ship change to Mountain time when you get to Cabo?

We lost an hour I believe when we got to Cabo and then lost another in Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta. They were nice enough to give us the time back on the way back though. 😆

Edited by gsalbato
  • Thanks 1