How Many Will Celebrity Allow to Cancel Tuesday’s Silhouette Cruise

Yvonne

Before they say “we will lose money” and cancel the cruise entirely?

Is that a possibility that could happen?

If the ship sails, and we have tested negative we will be on it.  But on our roll call I’ve been seeing several who have cancelled so I’m a little concerned.

I'm not on your roll call but we canceled the 1/4/22 sailing on the Silhouette.  Why take the chance of airport, hotel, ship and then getting sick and not being home to recover.  Too much stress for me at this time.  Will they sail?  My thoughts yes even with fewer passengers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Very very unlikely it cancels. We are in Florida for tomorrow's Reflection cruise and have decided to head home instead. There are many late cancelations on this sailing too.

We also were supposed to sail on Reflection tomorrow but cancelled when final payment was due. Too many what-ifs were in play. It was a really hard pill to swallow because we booked this 2 yrs ago and we were to be staying in the Reflection Suite to celebrate our upcoming 40th Anniversary 😞 

Just curious, why all the concern about going on a cruise that you’ve been planning on for quite sometime? Sure, C19 is still out there. But if you use the personal hygiene and protective knowledge you’ve gained over the past 2 years, you should be find on a fully vaccinated, negatively tested Celebrity cruise!

For us we have felt quite safe while we have been on our current B2B cruise on the Connie as well as our B3B on the Edge back in August and the Apex B2B cruise we were on in November. But, then we are antisocial, wear a mask in the elevators, sit at least 20 feet away from people in the main theater and the Reflections Lounge, hang out on our balcony rather than at the pool, eat lunch in the Spa Cafe rather than the buffet, and eat in Blu/MDR at the most remotely located table they have. But, mostly, we treat other passengers as if they have cooties and the crew as our new best friends! 😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, why all the concern about going on a cruise that you’ve been planning on for quite sometime? Sure, C19 is still out there. But if you use the personal hygiene and protective knowledge you’ve gained over the past 2 years, you should be find on a fully vaccinated, negatively tested Celebrity cruise!

For us we have felt quite safe while we have been on our current B2B cruise on the Connie as well as our B3B on the Edge back in August and the Apex B2B cruise we were on in November. But, then we are antisocial, wear a mask in the elevators, sit at least 20 feet away from people in the main theater and the Reflections Lounge, hang out on our balcony rather than at the pool, eat lunch in the Spa Cafe rather than the buffet, and eat in Blu/MDR at the most remotely located table they have. But, mostly, we treat other passengers as if they have cooties and the crew as our new best friends! 😂😂

Ken- I think the extremely highly infectious nature of Omicron which has very recently emerged in just the past month has changed the game in the immediate future anyway even for the fully vaccinated.  For most it is not the worry of becoming seriously ill particularly if recently boosted.  But it is rather the worry that cruises will have a lot more positive cases to deal with on board and having vacations disrupted or ports cancelled. And airlines cancelling flights because of too many COVID+ staff.  Same for impact on related support industries.  Uncertainty is elevated right now.  The surge is pretty bad but I think it will subside pretty quickly.  Light at end of tunnel is a bit dimmer right now but it will glow brightly soon.   I think there are a lot of last minute cancellations right now due primarily to these reasons.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Ken, respectfully, I don't think the "you should be fine" holds true right now, with Omicron.  It's clearly much more transmissible, and the data are starting to show that the mitigation measures we've been using for the last nearly two years don't work as well.  (See, e.g., the article linked below, under "Previous rules of virus are 'out the window.'")

Also, while Celebrity's crew and guests (except for little kids) meet the current definition of "fully vaccinated," which does NOT include having a booster, the science shows that people who have not received boosters don't have a great deal of immunity any longer, which is why public health officials keep emphasizing the need to get a booster. 

I'm not talking about the risk of severe disease and death (though no one should be complacent about that with covid), but right now, the mere fact of testing positive on a cruise carries with it a host of possible negatives, from being quarantined on board or in a foreign country, or being packed up and flown home (perhaps to a city where your car isn't, if you drove to the port).

So it's a lot for folks to consider.   Like you, we've sailed during the pandemic  --- a cruise in October on NCL, and, earlier this month, on the Silhouette.  We had no one test positive on the Silhouette, but every cruise after ours has had positive cases.  I feel as though we dodged a bullet and got home just in time.  Not sure we'd cruise in the next month. Obviously, everyone has to make that decision for themselves.

Everyone, please stay safe, and happy New Year!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/01/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

We also were supposed to sail on Reflection tomorrow but cancelled when final payment was due. Too many what-ifs were in play. It was a really hard pill to swallow because we booked this 2 yrs ago and we were to be staying in the Reflection Suite to celebrate our upcoming 40th Anniversary 😞 

So sorry, we should have been in the PH on Silhouette to celebrate our 40th anniversary  and ended up spending it in the garden…

Never the less we enjoyed our day reflecting on our blessings and hopefully many more anniversaries and cruises to come.

Congratulations to you both!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

....because this latest version is not the same.  People who have been following all recommendations, wearing the best PPE, practicing distancing and proper hygiene have still been catching it.  It maybe mild but you will still test positive and need to be quarantined, etc.  Our son got married on Dec 18 and my new DIL and him traveled to Sandals in Barbados for their honeymoon and tested positive 3 days in and are still quarantined.  It has been a nightmare for them,  and I am sure it would be a same scenario if testing positive on the ship or for us Canadians who require a neg PCR to get back into Canada.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Also, while Celebrity's crew and guests (except for little kids) meet the current definition of "fully vaccinated," which does NOT include having a booster, the science shows that people who have not received boosters don't have a great deal of immunity any longer, which is why public health officials keep emphasizing the need to get a booster. 

Royal has been sending out emails stating that all eligible crew have received boosters. Do we have any information to the contrary about Celebrity? 

2 hours ago, Yvonne said:

Before they say “we will lose money” and cancel the cruise entirely?

Is that a possibility that could happen?

If the ship sails, and we have tested negative we will be on it.  But on our roll call I’ve been seeing several who have cancelled so I’m a little concerned.

They won’t cancel.  Too many people em route.