Allure denied entry to St. Thomas, heading now to St. Kitts

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Might be all the islands are realizing that really don't need any cruise ships docking right now........ with the way covid is spreading right now.

Turn them away for the next month or 2 doesn't really hurt them that much anyway because they handled not porting ships before for 12 to 15 months before anyway.

Why deal with that all right now. Just stop letting people onto their islands  again for now.

They may have also seen this video from this past New Year's Eve on Anthem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bajathree said:

The problem I see there is passengers are testing positive a day or 2 after boarding. 

There are always going to be pax who were infected when they tested but not infectious enough to test positive, or became infected in the up to 2 days between testing and boarding. There's no way, even testing at the pier, to ensure with 100% certainty that no one has boarded the ship with COVID.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This would be really interesting, if it turns out to be true. 

We have heard plenty about St Thomas kicking ships for exceeding the 1% Covid positive limit. St. Kitts is a less frequented port, but we know they’ve kicked ships in the last week or so. 

We haven’t heard about St Thomas kicking a ship but St Kitts accepting it— thus far they’ve all (with the exception of St Maarten) been following the 1% rule. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bajathree said:

The ship departed on Dec 30th.....3 passengers are positive and thats only the passengers that reported to medical that weren't feeling well and got tested. The problem I see there is passengers are testing positive a day or 2 after boarding. 

Which means they did not contract the virus on board the ship. 

• Like 4

Sounds to me like Covid tests don’t pick up Covid right away. There’s a few days incubation period before it registers enough for the test show it. That’s happening everywhere now, yet I do not see much in the way of talk on the news.

I believe the tests are much less accurate than was initially reported. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

They may have also seen this video from this past New Year's Eve on Anthem.

So this attorney who makes a living suing cruise lines takes a passenger's opinion that at least 300 guests have Covid? What a crock! I don't care if the "dad" is a physician- he's not the one keeping track.

I'm sure that guesstimates are considered fact now? That ship would be locked down tight is there were 2% "at least " of the guests infected plus the ton of crew members.

if you are afraid of contracting Covid despite being fully vaccinated and boosted, so not cruise. If YOUR doctor says you are to ill to cruise, DO NOT CRUISE.

• Like 4

Currently on Allure, first time back to sailing after the shut down.  Everything seems much leas busy.  Have rarely had to wait for an elevator, none of the shows so far have been full, not even the comedy show although we did go the first night so maybe that had something to do with it.  Hot tubs are always empty when we walk past.

As far as compensation for missing St. Thomas, we are receiving an onboard credit equal to one day of cruise fare (and of course pre paid excursions).  

Supposed to arrive at St. Kitts in a few hours.  Stay tuned!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Sounds to me like Covid tests don’t pick up Covid right away. There’s a few days incubation period before it registers enough for the test show it. That’s happening everywhere now, yet I do not see much in the way of talk on the news.

The test  can't detect the virus until the viral load is large enough. This is not

news and we have all known about it  since the beginning of "Original Covid".  

If the guy next to me in church this morning has Covid and sneezed, the teeny Omicron or Delta bugs that penetrate all but properly fitted N95 type masks is in my nose and my lungs and sinuses and needs time to replicate.

Can you tell me any infectious disease that is instantly transferred and replicates so quickly that you test positive right away? There are not any.

When discussing "accuracy "- It all depends on they type of test administered and the timing. 
The CDC did just "admit" that PCR tests can give false positives up to 60 days after symptoms subside. 

There are also a lot of complete knock-off at home 'rapid tests out there that are simply awful and are not sensitive enough to detect the virus. 

The best information you can get about any of these topics is from your personal health care practitioner. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

if you are afraid of contracting Covid despite being fully vaccinated and boosted, so not cruise. If YOUR doctor says you are to ill to cruise, DO NOT CRUISE.

The only thing that scares me about cruising during the pandemic is having to quarantine because of a positive test (with zero to mild symptoms) and having to wear a mask onboard. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Which means they did not contract the virus on board the ship. 

That may be so...but it's still a problem...it basically means you have positive people boarding. This strain is highly contagious and where 6 months ago I don't think I personally knew more than a couple people who actually caught covid.....fast forward to today and almost every day someone I know is popping positive. The 2 day testing isn't working well with this strain obviously when people like I said above are walking on the ship basically already positive even though they are showing a negative test result from 2 days prior. Also some of the people I know who are popping positive and were both fully vaccinated and boostered don't have such mild symptoms like most are claiming.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

That is correct and my test was negative after I first showed symptoms, but got worse and tested + a few days later. Caught it on ship, showed symptoms 3 hours after disembarkation. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bajathree said:

That may be so...but it's still a problem...it basically means you have positive people boarding. This strain is highly contagious and where 6 months ago I don't think I personally knew more than a couple people who actually caught covid.....fast forward to today and almost every day someone I know is popping positive. The 2 day testing isn't working well with this strain obviously when people like I said above are walking on the ship basically already positive even though they are showing a negative test result from 2 days prior. Also some of the people I know who are popping positive and were both fully vaccinated and boostered don't have such mild symptoms like most are claiming.

Spot on. When I am out and about I hear people coughing and some of those coughs sound familiar because I had it myself.  Then I turn and spot the person and avoid them. (I'm not contagious anymore myself but still issues)

Edited by RoyalC
  • Like 2

I’m on this cruise as well..  All the shows so far have been great (day 4; 5 to go) but the water show as someone said, only lasted 20 minutes because of quarantined cast members; probably from the last cruise.  However, it was so windy last night that the divers wouldn’t have performed anyway.  New Years Eve was fun but I’m apprehensive about an uptick in Covid rates    in a day or two because of the crowds.  Although the Aqua theater is mostly outdoors, we still wore masks unlike 99% of other cruisers. 

• Like 3

That's great news for those with St. Kitts on their itineraries after you!

Thanks for the update.

24 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

We are docked in St. Kitts and Captain announced we are cleared to get off ship if desired, but must be back onboard by 9 PM. 

4F5B2763-E8CF-4A6B-9B20-7FC654D0BF0D.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Why is he wasting fuel, why bother they won't want you docking there either. That isn't even a high number. Guess maybe the island isn't believing the totals that were reported to them.

Sounds like the islands are getting stricter and stricter.

Welcome, St. Kitts!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandebeach said:

We are docked in St. Kitts and Captain announced we are cleared to get off ship if desired, but must be back onboard by 9 PM. 

You are overnighting there but have to be on the ship by 9PM?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

The classic JIMBO was the wasting fuel comment.  I never laughed so hard.  Was the captain supposed to drop anchor in the middle of the ocean and sit there and sulk the rest of the day?

Maybe you forgot they are essentially on a ship that "cruises"  that means that they tend to move.

Actually with  modern cruise ships the captain can essentially "drop the anchor". In the mdiddle of the ocean, theey shut down the diesel generators that drive the propulsion system.  They enter into  to the transponder  system that they are dead in the water but no emergency,  So other ships know to give a wide berth.

Back in the day ships would sail around in circles, but nowadays that is no longer required.  Thus no need to burn fuel sailing around in circles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

The classic JIMBO was the wasting fuel comment.  I never laughed so hard.  Was the captain supposed to drop anchor in the middle of the ocean and sit there and sulk the rest of the day?

Maybe you forgot they are essentially on a ship that "cruises"  that means that they tend to move.

Actually with  modern cruise ships the captain can essentially "drop the anchor". In the mdiddle of the ocean, theey shut down the diesel generators that drive the propulsion system.  They enter into  to the transponder  system that they are dead in the water but no emergency,  So other ships know to give a wide berth.

Back in the day ships would sail around in circles, but nowadays that is no longer required.  Thus no need to burn fuel sailing around in circles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandebeach said:

what time did you arrive? Love all of the shops & little bars right there at the pier.

• Like 1