Is food in the Golden Lion included or an extra charge?

P2l

Can recommend the Chicken Tikka Masala on QE and although the Fish & Chips are very nice certainly wouldnt say they were the best I have ever had and unless you dont like curry that would always be my first choice followed by Ploughman's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kittyonions said:

Major Tom,

just noticed the poster who thought his fish and chips were the best ever, address is shown as California. Maybe he needs to try some genuine UK fish and chips!!

I'll second that , with a trip oop north, preferably  to Blackpool 😅      Now that's proper Fish & Chips👌   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I'll second that , with a trip oop north, preferably  to Blackpool 😅      Now that's proper Fish & Chips👌   

Living in Blackpool I can only agree. And as a proud Lancastrian lass I recommend Yorkshire Fisheries 😀. I'm looking forward to working my way through the Golden Lion menu later this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kittyonions said:

Major Tom,

just noticed the poster who thought his fish and chips were the best ever, address is shown as California. Maybe he needs to try some genuine UK fish and chips!!

Hilarious. A trip to the Uk is definitely on my short list and definitely will be looking to try the fish and chips at multiple top rated venues.
I am in California now however I am a native New Yorker. So while I have not had the best fish and chips (obviously) I have had the best pizza and bagels. 

‘But seriously, did you see how pillowy and crispy those chips and fish are in the photo?  When you bit into the chip it was so crisp on the outside and so creamy on the inside. That coating on the fish crackled when you cut into it. There was no excess oil and you could tell it was cooked in supremely fresh oil. I suppose they’d get a small protest on board a TA if they tried to serve yucky fish and chips.  To me that lunch was incredible. 

I can’t wait for the rules for international travel to stabilize more. If Scotland and Blackpool have even better fish and chips I really must get there!

• Like 2

Another bit of Golden Lion intelligence:  you have two choices on timing in my experience.  Get there by 11:45 or wait until 1:15.  If you think you would like a spot of lunch at 12:30, you haven't a hope.

And if you can't get North Sea haddock, our local halibut on the wet coast is not to be sneezed at.  OK, OK, give me the haddock!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

Another bit of Golden Lion intelligence:  you have two choices on timing in my experience.  Get there by 11:45 or wait until 1:15.  If you think you would like a spot of lunch at 12:30, you haven't a hope.

And if you can't get North Sea haddock, our local halibut on the wet coast is not to be sneezed at.  OK, OK, give me the haddock!

U read my mind- thanks for this. As a solo traveller I don't feel comfortable jostling the crowds- do you order food from ur seat or do you go to the counter?

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but pre Covid the Golden Lion was normally open for lunch on embarkation day.  Most people don’t realise and head straight for the Lido, meaning the pub is reasonably quiet.

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but pre Covid the Golden Lion was normally open for lunch on embarkation day.  Most people don’t realise and head straight for the Lido, meaning the pub is reasonably quiet.

On QE in December I believe it was open from 3pm  but in September it was closed and afternoon tea was being served in the Britannia restaurant 

Edited by Matelot70