Just achieved Diamond Plus! Please tell me how BOGO Dining benefit works

zanydoc

Can you schedule this ahead of time or is it done once on board? Where do I make the reservations? Is it for all of the specialty restaurants? And finally, will my teen also have this benefit? Thanks all! 

Not sure about the teen, but I would assume the answer is yes.  The rest is easy though.  Make your reservations any time you wish.  We usually have the concierge take care of it in advance, but you can do it once you board.  Must use on the first or second night.  Just don't pay in advance, pay when you eat so they can use the BOGO.

• Thanks 1

We thought the reservations had to be for the first or second nights of the cruise, but we were told that there were so many Diamond Plus and Pinnacles onboard that we could use the BOGO any night of the cruise (Allure on 12/5/21).  It wasn’t advertised, we were told as we chose a night for Chops.  Hopefully that will become a permanent change.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We thought the reservations had to be for the first or second nights of the cruise, but we were told that there were so many Diamond Plus and Pinnacles onboard that we could use the BOGO any night of the cruise (Allure on 12/5/21).  It wasn’t advertised, we were told as we chose a night for Chops.  Hopefully that will become a permanent change.

Depending on availability and the crew on a particular ship, that used to be allowed situationally pre Covid.  

40 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Can you schedule this ahead of time or is it done once on board? Where do I make the reservations? Is it for all of the specialty restaurants? And finally, will my teen also have this benefit? Thanks all! 

I don’t know current rules, but I don’t think kids used to get that.  I certainly don’t recall my daughter having that, but she wasn’t a teen and this was Pre Covid.  

As long as you pay the first day, normally you can eat any night you want.  We don't do it much, but if we do, we book the first day and pay for it with the BOGO and then tell them we want to actually use it on another day.  Have never had a problem doing that

On my last cruise (12/10/21) I went ahead and purchased the first night at Giovanni’s for wife only and second night at Chops for me online just to be assured of the reservation times we wanted and then they were cancelled out the first night at Giovanni’s which let us use the BOGO.  
I don’t think it was really necessary though because neither were very crowded. We could’ve probably just been walk-ins. 

Thank you all for your replies.  So, to sum it up, we book on board the first day...but we don’t necessarily have to eat at a specialty that first day?  I’m assuming we can use OBC to pay for it? 

10 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Thank you all for your replies.  So, to sum it up, we book on board the first day...but we don’t necessarily have to eat at a specialty that first day?  I’m assuming we can use OBC to pay for it? 

Depends.  Officially, it’s nights one and two only. A lot of times exceptions are made on a ship by ship basis. 
Yes, it’s charged to your account so obc can be used. 

Edited by HicksRA

9 hours ago, karena1 said:

As long as you pay the first day, normally you can eat any night you want.  We don't do it much, but if we do, we book the first day and pay for it with the BOGO and then tell them we want to actually use it on another day.  Have never had a problem doing that

This is what we do as well.

We ask politely...never been refused.

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've read if you are solo, pay first night and 2nd night is free. 

That is correct.  Same goes for a couple who both have that perk (the charge has come thru two different ways for us…1) both charged first night/both free second dinner, and 2) one charge first night/one charge for second dinner).

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a related question.  On the Allure in November, hubby and I asked at Johnny Rockets if we could use our BOGO.  I know it is kind of weird to not use it at one of the higher priced restaurants, but we really wanted a half decent burger and thought we might as well use the discounts available to us.

It seemed like we were the first people to ever ask.  They did let us use it, but does anyone know if that is actually supposed to be a thing? Just wondering in case we ever decide to try again.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a related question.  On the Allure in November, hubby and I asked at Johnny Rockets if we could use our BOGO.  I know it is kind of weird to not use it at one of the higher priced restaurants, but we really wanted a half decent burger and thought we might as well use the discounts available to us.

It seemed like we were the first people to ever ask.  They did let us use it, but does anyone know if that is actually supposed to be a thing? Just wondering in case we ever decide to try again.

Thanks!

We've used BOGO at JR a number of times...no issues.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

We board the Mariner on my birthday and was wondering if the BOGO applies for lunch as well? I'd like to schedule lunch and then dinner on my birthday for hubby and I. Thanks!

Have not done it myself, but know someone who just recently used it for lunch. 

• Thanks 1

The D+ BOGO is a Crown & Anchor perk offered on board so it only works on board.

1787308754_ALCASOffers-DiamondPlus.thumb

The actual offer verbiage varies by ship but it is general something like the above.  "Buy one cover charge, get one free.  Redeemable on day 1 or 2 only".

In practice, like many things Royal, it depends.  There is little consistency.    

Since it can be redeemed on day 2, does that mean you could use it for day 2 and day 3?  It depends on the ship.  

It really seems like they often make up policy on the spot.

I tried to use on Indy in November.  I was solo.  Usually on most ships they allow me to buy one dinner and get a second dinner on another night free.  Not this time.  "It's only for couples. Solo can't use it".  I had never had a ship say this before so I thanked him and walked away.  Later I walked up to different restaurant and made reservations for my two dinners just like on other ships.  Crew literally make up rules on the spot.  

YMMV.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, eel said:

On a related note, do you only get the BOGO for 7 nights or longer cruises? We have an upcoming 4 night cruise and where wondering if it would apply.

Benefit was listed on my 5 niter Mariner Dec. 4th sail.  

Also, you can save a few bucks, by  reserving the first night the cheaper specialty restaurant (Giovanni or Jamie) and get the second (Chops) free.  I did this on my Sept. Oasis sail. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The D+ BOGO is a Crown & Anchor perk offered on board so it only works on board.

1787308754_ALCASOffers-DiamondPlus.thumb

The actual offer verbiage varies by ship but it is general something like the above.  "Buy one cover charge, get one free.  Redeemable on day 1 or 2 only".

In practice, like many things Royal, it depends.  There is little consistency.    

Since it can be redeemed on day 2, does that mean you could use it for day 2 and day 3?  It depends on the ship.  

It really seems like they often make up policy on the spot.

I tried to use on Indy in November.  I was solo.  Usually on most ships they allow me to buy one dinner and get a second dinner on another night free.  Not this time.  "It's only for couples. Solo can't use it".  I had never had a ship say this before so I thanked him and walked away.  Later I walked up to different restaurant and made reservations for my two dinners just like on other ships.  Crew literally make up rules on the spot.  

YMMV.

Thank you for this - I’ll be solo on an 11 night cruise later this month and want to use it for two nights.