Toronto Airport (YYZ), Switch Health Testing and Flight Issues - January 3, 2022

AlbertaCruisers

We flew from Tampa to YYZ to Edmonton yesterday.  We got our RT-PCR test at 9:00 am in Tampa (see the other thread for details) from Celebrity.  Got to the airport and our flight was delayed about just over 1 hour because of weather issues for the incoming flight from Toronto.  We landed in Toronto somewhere around 6:00 pm.  We were connecting so followed those signs, the customs hall was pretty empty and we were able to walk right up to the Nexus machine.  No line to see an officer, he said nothing but put pink stickers on our Nexus cards, which meant we were getting tested.  The lady directed us to the testing line, which was not too long, but about 10 people in front of us.  I asked if there was a separate line if you had pre-registered for the Switch Health account and there was not.  There were QR codes throughout the line for people to use to register for an account.  When we got to the front the first table took our passports and flight information and gave us a bag with the test in it (Swab, etc.).  You then walked to a section of cubicles to get tested.  Very easy and organized process.  I think it helped to be registered though as some people seems frantic trying to register and were having issues.  We walked out of there and could have been at our next gate by 6:40 pm.  No one gave us any information or told us anything, so I'm not 100% clear if we are considered to have been out of the US because we were on a cruise, but I'm assuming we are, so I'm following the rules on the Canada website on that basis, and we are currently quarantining at home, waiting for our results.

Our first flight, which was at 9:00 pm had been cancelled by Air Canada (email mentioned COVID issues), while we were in the air and they had automatically moved us to the 10:30 pm flight, which was fine.

The Air Canada terminal was a mess.  Almost all flights were delayed in some fashion and there were lots of cancellations.  The line up for the guess services was hundreds of people long all night.

Our flight was then delayed until 11:10, again noting COVID issues.  We boarded at 10:30 and around 11:00 the captain announced that there was no ground crew available to load bags, etc., but they hoped to have us a crew by midnight.  At midnight the captain accounced a crew would be coming to load bags shortly but that the other pilot was now past her daily hours and had to leave but they had another pilot on the way.  We finally took off at around 2:00 am.  We did manage to get home this morning.  We were originally scheduled to be home just after 11:00 pm (MST) last night and ended up landing in Edmonton at 3:34 am!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I was just chatting with my boss about this.  He had children return home for Christmas from across Canada and the US.  Plus he has a side business where employees travel frequently.  He was telling me he's heard a number of similar stories.  Lots of delays due to COVID and staffing issues. 
People sitting on runways for over an hour because of ground crew staffing issues.  And delayed/cancelled flights because no pilots available. 

• Like 1

Personnel shortages are really hitting the airlines and airports as this wave continues to grow. I fear that your experience is becoming increasingly common, although you might be considered lucky in that you did make it home "just" a few hours late.

• Like 1

That’s a long day.  We came back to Pearson from Miami on Sunday, on an AC flight that was supposed to be at 5:30pm but took off an hour late, combination of weather and staffing, I think.  We’d originally been on the 2pm WJ flight, which was canceled a few days before, then we were on the 2pm AC flight which was canceled the day before.  Since they want you off the ship so early, that meant we were at the airport by 10am and eventually landed at Pearson around 10pm.  Long, but shorter and less painful than your trip, since we spent most of it in the airport lounge instead of crammed onto the plane.

Please post back when you get your test results.  I’m curious as to how long they’re taking right now, and we lucked out and didn’t get “randomly” selected.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I had the same situation happen in Ottawa regarding whether or not we are to isolate until we get results.

The document we were given didn't say anything about isolating but the government website said if you were out of the country (not Canada or the U.S.).

The staff working at the testing clinic said you had to stay home until results come back.

I am sitting at 46 hours since my test and no results yet. I'll be honest I am freaking out, alot.

1 hour ago, GrannyGear said:

I guess the real travel winners this year were those who travelled south in November. Perhaps Omicron will have blown thru by the time they return. 

Maybe. With Florida's Covid rate having jumped 948% (!) in just two weeks, I'd be a very nervous right now snowbird had I headed south in November.

• Like 9

Alberta cruiser.. thank you so much for posting your experience.   We have a flight home (hopefully) from Egypt arriving in Toronto then connecting to Edmonton.   Wasn't really sure how things  worked with connecting flights and covid testing.  We have a much better understanding now of the process.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

We flew back from the DR into Terminal 3 at Pearson early Friday morning (1:30am). Nexus was quick and the new machines are a lot better than the old ones. We had pre-registered with Switch so they took us right away while lots of people in front of us registered. From the plane, through customs and being tested took perhaps 45 minutes in total. It looks like they were testing a vast majority of the passengers going through customs as we could see the line growing behind us as we exited the testing area.

We were told the results could take up to 72 hours to process so we are quarantining at home right now. Swiss Chalet delivered last night and groceries are bring delivered this morning so we are all set food wise. The only winkle now is our furnace isn't working and we can't get a service person in until we get our results back.  So we've cranked up the gas fireplaces and plugged in an electric heater upstairs for the nighttime and bundled up. Oh well, if life serves you lemons just make some lemonade!  Does anyone know if  the LCBO delivers? Because, as we all know, the best lemonade needs some Gin! 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that more people seem to be getting tested.  We flew in from Florida, Friday afternoon.  Looked like many pink stickers, including ours.  Long line-up for testing, took about an hour from entering the line.  We were advised 24 - 48 hrs. for results - we'll see.  We had pre-registered but were told we had to stay in the general line.

As a note, we had our test last Monday at 6:30pm at Pearson airport. We are still waiting for our results. I’ve been trying to get in touch with Switch Health with no luck. Will wait on hold today. 

We were told 48 to 72 hours. 

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

So, the below is the response I got from Switch Health.  I've asked if they can confirm when our results were received in the lab.  I will see if they respond.  Today at 6:30 would be 5 days from when we were tested.

Hello, we apologize for the delay in reply, we are currently experiencing a high volume of messages.  I can confirm that your tests are currently processing at the lab. Due to a surge in demand for testing across Canada, caused by the rising cases of Omicron variant of Covid-19, all jurisdictions are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times for results. Our laboratory partners are working around the clock to process results as quickly as possible. Please note that it could take 3-5 days from the time of arrival at one of our labs, to receive your results back in exceptional circumstance. We appreciate your patience while we work together to limit the spread of Covid-19.

A coworker in our Canadian office came down with a cold over Christmas.  It took him 5 days to get an appointment at his local hospital for a PCR test as per our work protocols.  He had the test Wednesday when they informed him that he can expect the results in a 1 or 2 weeks.  We laughed about it as he will be finished his quarantine period before he gets his results.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Magicat said:

A coworker in our Canadian office came down with a cold over Christmas.  It took him 5 days to get an appointment at his local hospital for a PCR test as per our work protocols.  He had the test Wednesday when they informed him that he can expect the results in a 1 or 2 weeks.  We laughed about it as he will be finished his quarantine period before he gets his results.  

Tell him to hold onto the test result if it's positive. If he travels within the next 6 months, he may be able to use it in lieu of another test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

As a note, we had our test last Monday at 6:30pm at Pearson airport. We are still waiting for our results. I’ve been trying to get in touch with Switch Health with no luck. Will wait on hold today. 

We were told 48 to 72 hours. 

I would message them on Social Media (Book of Faces and the Bird one 🙂

I messaged them with my testing codes and magically the next day the results showed up.

I also posted on their social media directly.

My results took 5 days, so 114 hours.

I read online really bad reviews of Switch Health and the turn around times. Things like some people never got their results and waited 10 days at home. Some people who knew someone who went in and paid for a pcr test and got results the next day (aka if you pay them the results are quicker).

1 hour ago, netpj said:

I agree that more people seem to be getting tested.  We flew in from Florida, Friday afternoon.  Looked like many pink stickers, including ours.  Long line-up for testing, took about an hour from entering the line.  We were advised 24 - 48 hrs. for results - we'll see.  We had pre-registered but were told we had to stay in the general line.

Just wanted to let you know that Ottawa did not do stickers, at least when I arrived.

We were given the official government handout with the testing requirements and at the top in red/pink the border staff wrote a letter T X 2 (two people to test).

Nothing was ever written or put on my passports or nexus cards.

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

I would message them on Social Media (Book of Faces and the Bird one 🙂

I messaged them with my testing codes and magically the next day the results showed up.

I also posted on their social media directly.

My results took 5 days, so 114 hours.

I read online really bad reviews of Switch Health and the turn around times. Things like some people never got their results and waited 10 days at home. Some people who knew someone who went in and paid for a pcr test and got results the next day (aka if you pay them the results are quicker).

Thanks.  The response above was from the bird one.  Took them forever to respond.  We are at 113 hours!  They looked at our account and said our tests are in the line, so hopefully we will get results today.

• Like 1

We did see that some people were given government handouts but not many, we received nothing and no instructions about anything.  It's amazing that in Florida at least,  you book an appointment (yes, you have to give yourself lead time), show up, join an efficient line of people with appointments, and despite  their testing capabilities also being challenged, results were emailed/texted within 2 hrs.  I would have been happy to pay for such an efficient service, the bonus was that was free.  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 5:48 PM, Fouremco said:

With Florida's Covid rate having jumped 948% (!) in just two weeks, I'd be a very nervous right now snowbird had I headed south in November.

This technique is adaptable to a Winn-Dixie grocery shopping trip:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2020/07/covid-19-lawyer-attends-court-in-hazmat-suit/

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

This technique is adaptable to a Winn-Dixie grocery shopping trip:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2020/07/covid-19-lawyer-attends-court-in-hazmat-suit/

I'm a teacher and use Twitter as my professional social media platform.

Most schools are in person in the states so been seeing many frustrated teachers posting their experiences.

The one that stood out was the person in line at the grocery store buying A LOT of groceries and when asked said "I have Covid and am in quarantine so I need food for 2 weeks."

But to get political for a moment, in Ontario only health care workers can get tested so really how do we know if we're surrounded by covid positive people?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

in Ontario only health care workers can get tested so really how do we know if we're surrounded by covid positive people?

We don't, which means that it's important to take precautions as if (almost) everyone is a potential carrier.   

A couple of my friends got Covid this past week, and both thought it was because they had let their guards down a little.  That made a strong impression on me. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

So, the below is the response I got from Switch Health.  I've asked if they can confirm when our results were received in the lab.  I will see if they respond.  Today at 6:30 would be 5 days from when we were tested.

Hello, we apologize for the delay in reply, we are currently experiencing a high volume of messages.  I can confirm that your tests are currently processing at the lab. Due to a surge in demand for testing across Canada, caused by the rising cases of Omicron variant of Covid-19, all jurisdictions are currently experiencing longer than normal wait times for results. Our laboratory partners are working around the clock to process results as quickly as possible. Please note that it could take 3-5 days from the time of arrival at one of our labs, to receive your results back in exceptional circumstance. We appreciate your patience while we work together to limit the spread of Covid-19.

Pardon me if I missed something earlier.  You had your test at the airport for an upcoming fight?  Wouldn’t this delay now disqualify you from flying?

2 minutes ago, hubbards said:

Pardon me if I missed something earlier.  You had your test at the airport for an upcoming fight?  Wouldn’t this delay now disqualify you from flying?

They were chosen to be 'randomly tested' upon their return to Canada....now at home in quarantine awaiting the results of this test!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1