GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS - Barbados - Terrible reports

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

That paper is known for using bombastic and sensationalized rhetoric to sell papers, much like you are trying to do here.  Locked in cages, no food/drink etc.  Just stop it already!

I am not going to get into an argument as people can and should make their own views. However you are mistaken over the Metro it is a respectable paper

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I must need new glasses.  I read the article, but could not find any mention of being locked in a cage at the port for 7 hours with no chairs, no toilet, etc.

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I must need new glasses.  I read the article, but could not find any mention of being locked in a cage at the port for 7 hours with no chairs, no toilet, etc.

Maybe not glasses but I cannot see anywhere where I said it was all one report. In fact I used reports.

If you choose not to believe it and that all is fine up to you. 

• Like 1

This article was written before Barbados changed their covid protocols.  Was that you got tested when you landed and had to quarantine until you got the results.  Not how it works anymore.  A PCR covid test is required 3 days before you travel and it seems very unlikely that you would travel with a positive result.

I was on the 12/26 sailing and can confirm the chaos at the airport coming in was so bad, we cancelled our 2/20/22 cruise.  One of the biggest issues was the nurse who ran the covid test results at the airport refused to accept RT PCR tests.  She kept insisting these were rapid tests which they are not.  So now there's a line of people waiting to get tested.  We were part of this.  On Barbados website and RCCL it clearly stated that they would accept these tests and so now this person says oh no, we dont accept this.  We had our tests verified by RCCL AND BIM prior to travel.  

When we got to the terminal after 3 hours of waiting for results with 100s of others crammed, no social distancing...etc... we get the rapid antigen.  My husbands test gets lost.  So 90 minutes later we get the go ahead and we go to check in where we think we just show the barcode, passports and vaccine card, right?  Wrong.  Girl at terminal enters all of our info again using one finger - credit card, vaccine card, passports.  I said why are you doing this?  Her response- Americans have fake vaccine cards.  Ok, well my passport and credit card aren't fake.  

We were lucky though.  We spoke to a couple where their new sister in law had her covid test denied and had to do their test at the airport.  She tested positive.  They were grabbing her arms and made her go with them to the facility.  The family didn't go on the cruise.  They got a hotel across the street.  They said it was awful per the bride at the covid facility.

I was stressed out all vacation because of the crowds at the airport that I would test positive on the complimentary antigen test provided on the last day.  Because I had no idea what Royal would do.  

edited:  I spoke to the couple who were related to the bride at the airport going home.  Also wanted to say it was such s shame this happened as we had a great time on the ship.  There was supposed to be 1100 people but the Diamond Lounge concierge told me around 800 boarded.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Well this is all bizarre. 

I'm going on a cruise on RCCL from Barbados . People who demand evidence can look at my previous posts & to their disappointment they will see I'm not a troll 

Therefore I'm keeping a close eye on what's happening. RCCL communication has been woeful, they have had to correct themselves so you start to get edgy 

There are multiple reports from many sources of the absolute shambles it is boarding & what is happening to people who test positive. Some of it is backed by pictures 

People on here apprarantly don't like it, I'm sure there as various reasons for that. That doesn't mean it's not true or you have to defend an industry or company who is more than capable of looking after itself 

People say things have changed, no this is a his week. Many of us from UK for example aren't going to fly 10 hours just for a cruise. We are like me on the island in advance & could catch Covid in that time or at the airport

I didn't write this to slag off crusing as I enjoy it. I certainly didn't write it for people who aren't going but want to attack & belittle anyone who is not a member of the superfantastic everything is brilliant club

I wrote it to help people who are going on a cruise from Barbados on RCCL be informed so they can make a decision

I took some time to answer points

Now I wish I'd never bothered

Edited by boxman52
Text wrong
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, boxman52 said:

I'm going on a cruise on RCCL from Barbados . People who demand evidence can look at my previous posts & to their disappointment they will see I'm not a troll 

Therefore I'm keeping a close eye on what's happening. RCCL communication has been woeful, they have had to correct themselves so you start to get edgy 

There are multiple reports from many sources of the absolute shambles it is boarding & what is happening to people who test positive. Some of it is backed by pictures 

People on here apprarantly don't like it, I'm sure there as various reasons for that. That doesn't mean it's not true or you have to defend an industry or company who is more than capable of looking after itself 

People say things have changed, no this is a his week. Many of us from UK for example aren't going to fly 10 hours just for a cruise. We are like me on the island in advance & could catch Covid in that time or at the airport

I didn't write this to slag off crusing as I enjoy it. I certainly didn't write it for people who aren't going but want to attack & belittle anyone who is not a member of the superfantastic everything is brilliant club

I wrote it to help people who are going on a cruise from Barbados on RCCL be informed so they can make a decision

I too have read boarding is overly difficult. I respect jean who posted her cruise was great but not the boarding process. She cancelled feb. 

Maybe posting in a calmer less dramatic manner would help.

I'm following because I'm booked for may on this ship. Far out yes. Booked sunday and already prices have dropped. If I was booked out of Barbados I'd cancel ..from what I've read. And I'm not worried about covid or cruising during covid. Let people decide. 

13 minutes ago, boxman52 said:

Now I wish I'd never bothered - feeling is mutual

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I too have read boarding is overly difficult. I respect jean who posted her cruise was great but not the boarding process. She cancelled feb. 

Maybe posting in a calmer less dramatic manner would help.

I'm following because I'm booked for may on this ship. Far out yes. Booked sunday and already prices have dropped. If I was booked out of Barbados I'd cancel ..from what I've read. And I'm not worried about covid or cruising during covid. Let people decide. 

There isn't anything dramatic in what I wrote unless you are unwilling to even contemplate it could be true.

There are some people on here who have been. It doesn't take long to find out if you test positive they physically remove you & I will try & be less dramatic, put you in a place where you cannot move from for a number of hours. 

Why like the person below people want to belittle & be aggressive is beyond me. 

If they aren't going from Barbados why do they feel the need to comment?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I don't believe theres a forum on CC where customers with totally genuine concerns get so much stick from fellow posters than Royal Caribbean

They are accused of lying, being over dramatic, told to provide sources and when they do still get stick

It's almost comedy watching the replies! 

So patronising and judgemental as well

Anybody reading the reports certainly doesn't want to get quarantined in Barbados thats for sure!

And anybody new to the forum who has concerns over RC certainly needs to be prepared for personal attacks

Not nice to see at all

Just surprised the thread hasnt been removed yet?

So everyone can pretend its not happening

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Seriously do you have a financial interest in the cruise industry or the Barbados tourism industry

There can no other reason for your behaviour

• Like 4

Just now, boxman52 said:

There isn't anything dramatic in what I wrote unless you are unwilling to even contemplate it could be true.

There are some people on here who have been. It doesn't take long to find out if you test positive they physically remove you & I will try & be less dramatic, put you in a place where you cannot move from for a number of hours. 

this is cruise critic.  Some people can't help themselves.  Let me also add if these Monday Morning QBs had actually been there, they would have been upset as well.  When you see and hear reports of how well some positive cruisers are treated in the US and Europe, seeing the Barbados situation was an eye opener and I saw very clearly what the writing on the wall was.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I don't believe theres a forum on CC where customers with totally genuine concerns get so much stick from fellow posters than Royal Caribbean

They are accused of lying, being over dramatic, told to provide sources and when they do still get stick

It's almost comedy watching the replies! 

Anybody reading the reports certainly doesn't want to get quarantined in Barbados thats fit sure!

At least they started to slag off the paper, and the whole advertising modern media model, for a bit & not me.

You think it's funny I just think it bizarre

It's either people who have some sort of interest such as a TA or a group of people who have overly invested in a corporate body that cares quite rightly only about maximising the return for its shareholders

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boxman52 said:

I'm also in another grandeur group. I didnt say I didnt believe you, but with this group you gotta cross your Ts and dot your Is. If you dont they will accuse you of listening to whichever news they dislike. 

I've read enough that I'm saying I would not cruise out of Barbados at this time. If you read my posts you know I'm very positive about cruising right now. .. just not when I read if you have a 1230 boarding time, 2 hours they still havent gotten to you. They are running hours late. They left a day late boarding is so bad. 

Not something I'm willing to go thru. Wait for a report of smooth boarding. .. or at least better. That's where i am about Barbados and anyone who knows me knows i never say things like ..not this port. Not now. See if it gets better. 

• Like 3

Just now, boxman52 said:

At least they started to slag off the paper, and the whole advertising modern media model, for a bit & not me.

You think it's funny I just think it bizarre

It's either people who have some sort of interest such as a TA or a group of people who have overly invested in a corporate body that cares quite rightly only about maximising the return for its shareholders

The jokes on them 

Yes it's quite bizarre

40 minutes ago, boxman52 said:

The operative word is that you are going, not that you have gone and experienced this.  As a result you really do not have any added credibility to anyone else that has looked at a story in the newspaper.

If you are as concerned as you indicate then cancel.

If you are not concerned enough to cancel then why should anyone else.

Jean87510 has credibility because she is talking about her actual experience.

It is not that you wrote it, it is that you have rather vehemently come back to argue about it when you have not experienced yourself.  Just point it out, provide you link.  People can come to their own conclusion.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, nocl said:

The operative word is that you are going, not that you have gone and experienced this.  As a result you really do not have any added credibility to anyone else that has looked at a story in the newspaper.

If you are as concerned as you indicate then cancel.

If you are not concerned enough to cancel then why should anyone else.

Jean87510 has credibility because she is talking about her actual experience.

It is not that you wrote it, it is that you have rather vehemently come back to argue about it when you have not experienced yourself.  Just point it out, provide you link.  People can come to their own conclusion.

Thats the new rules on here is it?

You have to have experienced something personally yourself to be allowed to talk about it

And unless you are prepared to cancel a cruise immediately you have no right to be concerned? 

Are you a moderator on here?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

That’s a million dollar question. 

I'm not sure anywhere I said I was. You are constantly just reading what you want to be there not what is there. Perhaps it's a group think issue

I want to go but I think the risk of being positive & what happens will be too great

I suspect I'll take a Northern Lights cruise or a Canary Islands. Not that that's important

• Like 3