**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

3 hours ago, bguppies said:

CVS and Walgreens are starting to spin down their testing programs as the Govt. is not subsidizing the tests 100% anymore.

Now that much of the cost is being dumped onto insurance companies, and they begin to start refusing to cover multiple tests for some people. (and to stop covering them for travel reasons, thus why that option on the CVS website disappeared weeks ago)

Expect tests to only be available at fewer and fewer locations.

One more to test for in April then done until September, hope Walgreens remains a possibility, tested this morning at 1030 and results under two hours, Negative, off we go on Sunday. 

On 3/17/2022 at 10:43 AM, day-day said:

When I've signed up for a testing appointment with CVS, I would be asked to enter my insurance information and also had a statement that the insurance company would cover the costs.  For my previous cruise testing, my insurance covered the cost.

I've looked at two different Walgreens locations using Walgreen's website.  One stated that the specific location required insurance information up front; when I selected another location and went through the process, it did not ask for insurance information.

I booked an appointment with the nearest Walgreens; it was the one that did not ask for insurance information.  I was asked if the test is for travel and responded "yes".  The appointment was set with no mention of insurance or costs.

Any idea if I will be charged or if I will need my insurance card and testing will be charged through my insurance carrier?

I just booked a rapid NAAT for next week at Walgreens.  I'm glad to hear it's an acceptable test.  I too checked "for travel" but there was no mention of additional cost.  Hoping that's accurate.  It did say to bring your medical card on the email.

• Like 1

Just now, sueandtimj said:

I just booked a rapid NAAT for next week at Walgreens.  I'm glad to hear it's an acceptable test.  I too checked "for travel" but there was no mention of additional cost.  Hoping that's accurate.  It did say to bring your medical card on the email.

We have always had medical cards with us but have never been required to show them. Last time (a day ago) they just asked us to confirm our birthdates. Glad Walgreens is an option for you, we have had nothing but great experiences with them. 

1 minute ago, cellfree said:

We have always had medical cards with us but have never been required to show them. Last time (a day ago) they just asked us to confirm our birthdates. Glad Walgreens is an option for you, we have had nothing but great experiences with them. 

Thank you!  We used them in Oct for a rapid antigen test (without any problems, nor cost) and I was a little concerned because now it's saying rapid NAAT, so I jumped on this board for guidance!  You guys are the greatest with sharing experiences.  Enjoy your cruise!  We sail 3/28 ... counting the days!

19 minutes ago, sueandtimj said:

Thank you!  We used them in Oct for a rapid antigen test (without any problems, nor cost) and I was a little concerned because now it's saying rapid NAAT, so I jumped on this board for guidance!  You guys are the greatest with sharing experiences.  Enjoy your cruise!  We sail 3/28 ... counting the days!

From all my reading, the NAAT is the important part, Walgreens in our are area changed their description from when we tested three weeks ago. We sail 3/20, booked a week ago, last minute deal, very excited. 

On 3/15/2022 at 8:11 PM, McDMan said:

Hello, How did your using your SwitchHealth test go? I was also going to use them for an upcoming Carnival cruise out of Port Canaveral. But I read that they only accept 2 'self test' kit brands from the US. I would rather use Switch Health as I have used them many time coming back into Canada. But not for cruising. 

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Canadian cruisers forum. All kinds of info about “our” tests. 

Edited by WorkerBee74

I feel like I need a PhD to navigate all these policies...I don't know how others who don't know Cruise Critic can do it!

I have a 3.5 year old, so obviously not vaccinated. We are cruising in 2 weeks from Charleston.

It seems like she needs a PCR or NAAT test while the rest of us who are fully vaccinated can do a antigen. All of us can do it within 72 hours.

Then when we get to embarkation, our unvaccinated daughter needs to do a rapid test. It seems like it is done at the actual port before going on board. Is there any scheduling required - or it is automatic? I did not see anything...and I don't believe Charleston even offers that $10/$100 test.

My family contracted Covid in Feb (allowing us to comfortably go on this cruise!). For my daughter she had symptoms, but we didn't get an official test but I can probably get an antibody test and a "Document of Recovery" from pediatrician. From reading the policy, it seems like this would avoid both tests?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure it's been mentioned here somewhere amidst the 20 pages of replies (and I could probably look at the Carnival fine print) but, you guys are my go-to source of info -- probably even more trusted than calling a random person at 1-800-CAR-NIVAL  🙂   :

What is the outcome (of what you paid for the cruise) if you or someone in your party tests positive within the two day pre-cruise window?

I'm looking at booking a couple of additional cabins (my dime) for some of my staff - and didn't know if they'd end up with a FCC (of my $) or if I'd get a refund to my credit card.

THANKS,

Tom

On 3/13/2022 at 3:15 PM, CruisingAgain said:

We have used the eMed proctored for 3 different cruises. Each time it was less than a minute to get the proctor.  We did them at 2:00pm, 2:00am and 7:00 pm and no difference in wait time

I just checked their website and they no longer have the 2-pack as an option, only the 6-pack. We only need 2. Hate to purchase an extra 4 tests when COVID seems to be winding down. I already have 6 non-proctored tests at home that I can't use for cruising 😞

1 hour ago, loohoo1 said:

I just checked their website and they no longer have the 2-pack as an option, only the 6-pack. We only need 2. Hate to purchase an extra 4 tests when COVID seems to be winding down. I already have 6 non-proctored tests at home that I can't use for cruising 😞

EMed only sells 6-packs.  The Optum Store sells 2 and 3-packs.  Here's the link:  https://store.optum.com/shop/category/tests-devices/covid-19-home-tests/

On 3/17/2022 at 2:40 AM, Linsuesue said:

Firefly-we used CVS last fall to get tested. I don’t remember it saying “some types accepted for travel.” Is the CVS rapid result test sufficient for Carnival? I would much rather get results back faster than waiting up to 2 days!

BB81F113-5A89-4903-B79E-F09EC77ADE65.png

I was on the CVS website last night and for the rapid test it said this:

Test type: Rapid-result test (antigen)

Not accepted for travel

Results within hours

Others have said it used to say not accepted for all travel but this was flat out says not accepted.

Very confused

On 3/16/2022 at 1:03 PM, Kalba said:

Can anyone decipher the testing requirements for children? I have a 5, 3 and 6 month old and am interested in cruising in May. My understanding is, the 5 year old has 2 shots so he will require a PCR/Antigen 2 or 3 days prior. The 3 year old is obviously not vaccinated so she would need that test plus another one on embarkation. As for the 6 month old, she is entirely exempt from testing. Do I have it right?

Carnival's website has the info.  Some things changed for the better on March 1.

On 3/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, cellfree said:

Yes, several times for Carnival and MSC. 

I did the Walgreens NAAT test today, in the drive-thru.  I made an appointment online.  Results were back within an hour.  I used VeriFLY to get my vaccine status and test status uploaded.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 1:18 PM, heath1414 said:

So I read on one of my facebook pages that most of the free government tests they sent out now offer telehealth visits with them. I didn't have the same brand as the OP, but I do have the ihealth brand too. And from simple google search, came across their website which offers telehealth testing for $20 per person. I'm currently trying to look into this as an option. It seems like the testing they sale on their website for the telehealth is the same as the one I got in the mail from the government. I think this is fairly new and not known widespread.  We have 4 boxes for 5 people and we sail in May. I don't know anything for certain, if this would be accepted, just saw this this morning and I'm trying to look into it

Screenshot_20220314-131346_Facebook.jpg

I was curious about this as well….

7 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I was on the CVS website last night and for the rapid test it said this:

Test type: Rapid-result test (antigen)

Not accepted for travel

Results within hours

Others have said it used to say not accepted for all travel but this was flat out says not accepted.

Very confused

I used the CVS test to sail on RCL a couple weeks back.  All they seemed interested in was the type of test, the result, and the date.  Can't guarantee that CCL will be as open to accepting it, but I'd be shocked if they didn't given there are only a few places to get an Antigen test and PCR test results within two days are almost non-existent.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:09 AM, 2Shoes2Go said:

Always have a back up plan! CVS just cancelled, for the second time, our tests. Only an hour before appointment time! On our way out the door.
We do have tests scheduled at Walgreen’s, too. Fingers crossed. 

CVS just texted us that our appointments were canceled.  We got a full day though instead of an hour notice which I still don't like but would have definitely been furious if only got the hour like you did.  Luckily we were able to get some Walgreens appointments booked for three of us.  Still got to figure out the fourth person though as they'll be coming back from college and no appointments available where they are.

• Like 1

We were happy when Carnival offered $10 testing at pier.  So convenient.   I had a difficult time finding testing sites available until I realized a lot of CVS sites  reset at midnight for available appts.   RC  wanted $100 to test at pier.  

Hope this is not not an issue next winter.  

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, marjenn said:

CVS just texted us that our appointments were canceled.  We got a full day though instead of an hour notice which I still don't like but would have definitely been furious if only got the hour like you did.  Luckily we were able to get some Walgreens appointments booked for three of us.  Still got to figure out the fourth person though as they'll be coming back from college and no appointments available where they are.

Well, Walgreens canceled on us as well.  Trying to book other appointments now and hope they don't get canceled.  This is so frustrating!!

3 hours ago, marjenn said:

Well, Walgreens canceled on us as well.  Trying to book other appointments now and hope they don't get canceled.  This is so frustrating!!

Sounds like both CVS and Walgreens are getting out of the Covid testing business.

• Like 1

I used CVS for my October and January cruises with no issues.  I used Walgreens today since my closest CVS is no longer testing.

Walgreens testing went well; very quick.  I received the email regarding my test results for the Rapid NAAT test a little less than an hour after my drive-thru visit.

I answered that I wanted the test for travel when I set up the appointment.  I did not need my insurance card for this Walgreens location and did not provide any form of payment.

20 hours ago, RichYak said:

Sounds like both CVS and Walgreens are getting out of the Covid testing business.

At least the later appointments which is what we were trying to get so didn't have to miss any work.  Three of us are now tested and the last one should be done soon.  So what I've learned from this is not only have a backup plan, but also have a backup plan to the backup plan.  🙂

• Like 1