tipping porters, tour bus drivers and guides, etc. (Royal)

16 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You make it sound as if each Porter is getting $15 grand, they are not.  Does not matter how much they make they are still schlepping our bags for us.  A few dollars going to change your life before you board a luxury cruise vacation.

Several hours no matter what the weather lugging overweight bags from our trunks to the carriers ?  To me it is worth $10 for two of my wife's hernia makers.

Imagine what the line would look like if each car had to look for a spot to pull over, stop the car, get out and open the trunk lug the bags to a carrier and hump it up maybe 4 or 5 feet onto a pile of other bags and then replace the loaded trolley with an empty.  

Just what I would not want to do when beginning a vacation.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They are getting overtime pay (on a already very high base pay) plus union benefits to “schlep” those bags 3-4 feet. 
no thanks, I don’t tip porters, they do nothing special, just the bare minimum to satisfy the job description 

agreed.  We had one in NOLA who went to take my suitcase, even though husband said we got it, and the guy said oh man that's too heavy.  Husband put them on.  Then the guy is just standing there with his hand out. We just ignored him and went in.  We are still physically able to do the bags ourselves and prefer to.  And no, we dont tip the porters if we don't use them.  If they dont like it, get another job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:11 PM, Kellie in Texas said:

I want to make sure we have some appropriate dollar bills.

I never fail to hit the bank before the trip and get AT LEAST one $50 wad of singles, most likely two for this 13-nighter if something doesn't happen to it.  Easy to grab and peel a few off without a bunch of digging and waiting.  

• Like 1

On a tour, I typically tip the bus or van driver at least as much as the tour guide, because I feel my safety is in his or her hands.   On steep, winding, narrow, hilly roads - and I've been on plenty of those in the islands - I may even tip the driver more than the guide upon safe return to the ship!   

On 1/7/2022 at 8:25 AM, time4u2go said:

I was thinking the same thing. The porters move the suitcases maybe 10 ft from the curb onto one of those rolling carts and that's it.

At the new terminal A in Miami they have a conveyor belt like in the airports. The porter walks 3 feet if even that and puts it on.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I prefer to not live on the cheap.  Wait staff at my go to restaurant do really damn well on tips also.  They schlep my dinner from kitchen to my table, oh maybe 15 feet, still waiting on me, and I appreciate it.  I don’t care how much they earn, I still appreciate what they do for me, even if they earn $100k/year.  Cheap people always find a way to make an excuse.  Hope your luggage always makes it on board.

Trying to use scare tactics? 🙄 If someone doesn’t want to tip the porter why should you care? IMO the crew on the ship really work their a$$ off for their tips.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:26 PM, Jimbo said:

We got a Margarita Machine for Christmas, now we can make frozen Margarita anytime we want at home.  We use plastic straws 🍹🧉

1622812198-nostalgia-margarita-and-slush-machine-1-gallon-1622812167.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

You should try a Vitamix blender. We love ours and worth every penny. Most bars use them.

“We use plastic straws.” Why did you even make that comment? Never mind, I know why. No need to answer either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

At the new terminal A in Miami they have a conveyor belt like in the airports. The porter walks 3 feet if even that and puts it on.

Trying to use scare tactics? 🙄 If someone doesn’t want to tip the porter why should you care? IMO the crew on the ship really work their a$$ off for their tips.

You should try a Vitamix blender. We love ours and worth every penny. Most bars use them.

“We use plastic straws.” Why did you even make that comment? Never mind, I know why. No need to answer either.

Scare tactics, LOL.  Don’t tip if you don’t want to, I was offering my reasons for doing so.  If one wants to be cheap, no problem at least you own it.

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Scare tactics, LOL.  Don’t tip if you don’t want to, I was offering my reasons for doing so.  If one wants to be cheap, no problem at least you own it.

I do tip, but it sounds like you are using a scare tactic to others who might not tip, otherwise why would you even make such a comment? Don’t bother because there is no other reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I prefer to not live on the cheap.  Wait staff at my go to restaurant do really damn well on tips also.  They schlep my dinner from kitchen to my table, oh maybe 15 feet, still waiting on me, and I appreciate it.  I don’t care how much they earn, I still appreciate what they do for me, even if they earn $100k/year.  Cheap people always find a way to make an excuse.  Hope your luggage always makes it on board.

Tips are part of a waitress’ salary; it isn’t for a longshoreman that is just doing the bare minimum of his job. 

• Like 1

I take my bags, put them in the car, drive.  Stay in hotel, take my bags to the room.  Take my bags back to the car.  Drive to the port. Stop the car.  Open my trunk.  "a longshoreman takes my two bags, and tosses it on a cart within 10 feet of car", the cart is pushed when filled.  Forklift driver moves it.  Another forklift driver delivers it to the ship.  Ship unloads cart, takes to elevator.  Elevator opens, and staff removes bags and puts in hallway.  Staff than sorts it, and moves to stateroom.  

You bags had many steps, and 10+ people handle it, but the most highly paid individual in the picture, the guy that moved it 10 feet you want to give a tip to?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Tips are part of a waitress’ salary; it isn’t for a longshoreman that is just doing the bare minimum of his job. 

I find it interesting the lengths cheap people will go to in order to justify their behavior.  As for me, they're doing a job I don't want to do, and more often than not they help us get the luggage out of the vehicle.  I don't care if they make a million dollars an hour, there service is appreciated, and I tip them for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I take my bags, put them in the car, drive.  Stay in hotel, take my bags to the room.  Take my bags back to the car.  Drive to the port. Stop the car.  Open my trunk.  "a longshoreman takes my two bags, and tosses it on a cart within 10 feet of car", the cart is pushed when filled.  Forklift driver moves it.  Another forklift driver delivers it to the ship.  Ship unloads cart, takes to elevator.  Elevator opens, and staff removes bags and puts in hallway.  Staff than sorts it, and moves to stateroom.  

You bags had many steps, and 10+ people handle it, but the most highly paid individual in the picture, the guy that moved it 10 feet you want to give a tip to?  

the guy that moved it 10 feet you want to give a tip to? Yes I do, just like I do at airport curbside, where I am the one placing it on the scale.

5 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

AMEN

43 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I find it interesting the lengths cheap people will go to in order to justify their behavior.  As for me, they're doing a job I don't want to do, and more often than not they help us get the luggage out of the vehicle.  I don't care if they make a million dollars an hour, there service is appreciated, and I tip them for it.

I find it interesting the lengths some people go to in order to speak down to other people that refuse to be intimidated; however, you do you, and that's great.

• Like 1

JUST SAYING

It's a nice brisk 20 degree wintery day in Bayonne with 17 mile per hour winds and a wet mix of sleet and rain falling at a 45 degree angle.

There are 2,300 cruise passengers scheduled to board their cruise over a 4 hour time spread.

300 passenger cars show up at almost the same time, deciding to ignore the recommended boarding schedule.

Each car must find a place to pull to the curb and disgorge their 2.5 pieces of luggage.

There is always a percentage of passengers with less than optimal physical strength, then the percentage of those who don't have their luggage tags or who are just plain confused especially with all the usual embarkation chaos.

Ah, at last a place to pull over to the carts.
Hmm there isn't a cart with any room near your car??
There's one, 4 cars down but the luggage is stacked to over 4 feet high and you decide to help a woman struggling with her cane and hurl her 3 bags along with yours on top of the baggage jumble.
The helter skelter stacked cart of luggage next to your car has done a Jenga collapse and there are bags littered across the icy wet concrete.

Finally you get to the parking garage all relaxed and ready to begin your 3-4-5 or more thousand dollar cruise having saved a sawbuck and proud of it..

lugg.jpg

On 1/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

They are getting overtime pay (on a already very high base pay) plus union benefits to “schlep” those bags 3-4 feet. 
no thanks, I don’t tip porters, they do nothing special, just the bare minimum to satisfy the job description 

Not sure if it’s changed, but while the porters may get overtime, etc, the ones in Galveston also had to rent carts or buy their own and pay for storage. 

we tip between $1-$5 /bag depending on my mood. 

We tipped a tour guide 5x the cost of the tour once. We had met him 10 years earlier. Family guy.  Clearly he was struggling big time with covid and we could afford it at the time. 

We’ve also tipped others next to nothing depending on services and mood. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 5:51 PM, LGW59 said:

You make it sound as if each Porter is getting $15 grand, they are not.  Does not matter how much they make they are still schlepping our bags for us.  A few dollars going to change your life before you board a luxury cruise vacation.

How many porters are there splitting that $15 grand (or more, sometimes much more)?  It is still a pretty good payout for a few hours of putting bags into a cart sitting right there.

And most of them make more money than the people cruising.  There are previous threads showing how much a longshoreman makes, not including cruise ship tips plus being paid overtime for the work you are tipping them for.

Personally, I save my tips for the people working hard on the ship that are being paid peanuts (in US terms).

• Like 3

On 1/6/2022 at 4:20 PM, LGW59 said:

For us, this is our formula.  At the airport (when they still had curbside check-in) we give $2/bag.  For a cruise, we give $5/bag, as the porters have a bit more work to do lugging the bags than for curbside airport check-in.  

How do you figure this?

The put the bag in the cart sitting right there.  The cart is pulled by a tug to the ship.  A forklift lifts it onto the ship, where the SHIP'S CREW unloads, moves the bags to the proper deck and to the cabin.

At the airport for curbside, most places, the put the bags on a cart, they check you in, they give you baggage receipts and boarding passes.  Tag the bags, push the card into the terminal.  And finally, load the bags from the cart to the baggage conveyor.  

And the porters at the dock are getting paid a good wage for their work (most make over $100,000 per year), and the cruise ship work is typically overtime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

How do you figure this?

The put the bag in the cart sitting right there.  The cart is pulled by a tug to the ship.  A forklift lifts it onto the ship, where the SHIP'S CREW unloads, moves the bags to the proper deck and to the cabin.

At the airport for curbside, most places, the put the bags on a cart, they check you in, they give you baggage receipts and boarding passes.  Tag the bags, push the card into the terminal.  And finally, load the bags from the cart to the baggage conveyor.  

And the porters at the dock are getting paid a good wage for their work (most make over $100,000 per year), and the cruise ship work is typically overtime.

How do you figure this?  I figure this because it is what works for me.  Obviously not for all, so if it does not, then just don't do it.

Just now, LGW59 said:

How do you figure this?  I figure this because it is what works for me.  Obviously not for all, so if it does not, then just don't do it.

Just trying to understand your logic.  To me, the airport curbside check in do a lot more.  And, AFAIK, their pay is based on their job being tipped.

Longshoreman (porters in most ports are union longshoremen) get paid very well and their pay is not based on their job being tipped.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:17 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I've found most of them to be unfriendly and pushy to say the least. I've found everyone I see that tips is up to $5 max total for their luggage. Cruise critic always evolves into who says/claims they tip more. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 6:13 PM, MichaelCMTX said:

I never fail to hit the bank before the trip and get AT LEAST one $50 wad of singles, most likely two for this 13-nighter if something doesn't happen to it.  Easy to grab and peel a few off without a bunch of digging and waiting.  

Rather than take a big stack of bills onboard, we make sure to have enough to take care of boarding, and maybe a few days, then periodically swing thru guest services when they have no line and break a $20 or 2 as needed. Drink tips add up...  

On 1/6/2022 at 3:20 PM, LGW59 said:

For us, this is our formula.  At the airport (when they still had curbside check-in) we give $2/bag.  For a cruise, we give $5/bag, as the porters have a bit more work to do lugging the bags than for curbside airport check-in.  For sponsored tours (which we only do when we have to), we give the bus driver $5 and the tour guide $10.  For private tours, which we much prefer, it totally depends on the duration of the tour but can range from $50 for 4 hours to $100 for a full day.  We base the cash that we will bring for tipping totally based on our itinerary, which we know well in advance of our vacation.  YMMV but this has always worked well for us.   

Thx!  Very helpful!