Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Buckeye,

Thanks so much. If you can remember, and it is not too much trouble, please advise when you board!  Can you also report about whether Princess indeed offers testing the day before disembarkation for those flying back to the U.S.? Some on Facebook say that is happening too. That would be marvelous. 

Edited by erber

Hello...posting from the Emerald Princess. All I can advise you of if you think you are getting conflicting info now, wait until you get on board. Nobody seems to know anything. We get letters that are incorrect even before being sent. The senior staff at guest services gives conflicting info from the medical staff. Theedical staff gives conflicting info from the Dr in charge...

I tested positive 8 days into our cruise on the 3rd time tested on board. I was told I would be put off in Southampton,then told I would stay on, then told to get off, then told to stay.....over and over. No one seems to know the protocols.

Ask the many many that missed flights home because they could not get Princess to give them test results.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spunks said:

Hello...posting from the Emerald Princess. All I can advise you of if you think you are getting conflicting info now, wait until you get on board. Nobody seems to know anything. We get letters that are incorrect even before being sent. The senior staff at guest services gives conflicting info from the medical staff. Theedical staff gives conflicting info from the Dr in charge...

I tested positive 8 days into our cruise on the 3rd time tested on board. I was told I would be put off in Southampton,then told I would stay on, then told to get off, then told to stay.....over and over. No one seems to know the protocols.

Ask the many many that missed flights home because they could not get Princess to give them test results.

I am also on Emerald Princess  now and previous cruises. Above is very accurate 

• Thanks 1

I just tested positive after visiting Disney World. We leave on a Princess Cruise tour on June 18 and cruise on Majestic on June 25. How will this positive test affect my testing in Whittier and then Vancouver to fly to US after two days in Canada?

On 4/29/2022 at 1:06 AM, kml246 said:

It's the EU that's requiring the one-day before test. If you are sailing from UK without any stops in an EU port, perhaps they won't require the one-day test. Here's the excerpt from the EU Princess page:

image.thumb.png.7ed7b1667665702bcc4545807297fd79.png

We are sailing on Enchanted Princess out of Southampton on July 22, 2022 to Norway and Iceland. Even though the UK sailing page shows what you posted, if I go to the Cruise Personalizer, this is what it says at the bottom of the Travel Summary (I added the highlighting):

image.thumb.png.19bd6aad08ebc3f1fc56d4a1b4b410f9.png

You may want to check your Travel Summary and see what it says. Since this is going to potentially cause problems, I'm confident Princess will have testing available at the port. 

Good luck,

Kevin

Same as your Travel Summary but when you go to the quoted link  https://*****/pcl_uktest

for ”up to date” fully vaccinated and boosted it again say 3 days!

It's the EU that's requiring the one-day before test. If you are sailing from UK without any stops in an EU port, perhaps they won't require the one-day test. Here's the excerpt from the EU Princess page:

We are sailing on Enchanted Princess out of Southampton on July 22, 2022 to Norway and Iceland. Even though the UK sailing page shows what you posted, if I go to the Cruise Personalizer, this is what it says at the bottom of the Travel Summary (I added the highlighting):

You may want to check your Travel Summary and see what it says. Since this is going to potentially cause problems, I'm confident Princess will have testing available at the port. 

Good luck,

Kevin

The short URL https://*****/pcl_uktest takes you to the page indicating within 3 days for “up to date” guests!!

Princess website has 'red update banner' it says 

• Testing
    • At terminal check-in guests must provide proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before or at embarkation.

Does not refer to how many days - possibly just a website SNAFU

Good luck,

Kevin

Twelve hours ago on my Travel Itinerary in the Important Notices | Notifications section the wording was identical to that quoted by @KML246.

Now it reads:

"..- produce acceptable proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before of embarkation..."

Which, although grammatically incorrect, may mean that for me as an "up to date" guest travelling ex Southampton, UK, to Norway (which is not a member of the EU) an antigen test taken within 3 days of embarkation should be acceptable. 🤞

• Like 1

19 hours ago, optmax said:

Same as your Travel Summary but when you go to the quoted link  https://*****/pcl_uktest

for ”up to date” fully vaccinated and boosted it again say 3 days!

The short URL https://*****/pcl_uktest takes you to the page indicating within 3 days for “up to date” guests!!

Yes! It was saying at the bottom of our itineraries that we had to get the test within one day, but the one day was dropped. I just found this right now:

Please be advised that guests 5 years and older on this voyage are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and meet the following requirements:
- have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and produce proof of vaccination at terminal check-in - a booster dose is required for guests 12 years and older whose final dose of an approved vaccine is older than 9 months (270 days) - produce acceptable proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before embarkation. For required timing and details, please visit https://*****/pcl_uktest
Travel requirements are subject to change and vary by destination. Check our CruiseHealth FAQs (https://*****/pcl_ukfaq), Princess communications and official government sites often for specifics for your voyage.

4 hours ago, optmax said:

Twelve hours ago on my Travel Itinerary in the Important Notices | Notifications section the wording was identical to that quoted by @KML246.

Now it reads:

"..- produce acceptable proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before of embarkation..."

Which, although grammatically incorrect, may mean that for me as an "up to date" guest travelling ex Southampton, UK, to Norway (which is not a member of the EU) an antigen test taken within 3 days of embarkation should be acceptable. 🤞

Agreed. Since UK, Norway, and Iceland are not members of the EU, I would expect three days would be good. However, my Travel Summary on the website still shows one day. 

Since we're leaving the US on July 19 for our July 22 cruise, I won't be able to get the test done in the US even if it's three days. We land at LHR on July 20 and spending two nights in Southampton. I'll see about getting the test done on July 21 at the local Boots or Lloyds. Haven't made an appt yet. Figured I'd wait until June to see if anything changes. 

Kevin

On 4/30/2022 at 8:57 AM, Knixuk said:

I used the port testing at Southampton and it was very easy and efficient. You have to wait an extra 20mins to get the result but it wasn’t that much of an issue for us.

We had taken a lateral flow test at home before setting off so were as sure as we could be that we would be negative at port.

It was also $25 rather than $60 as advertised, so that felt like a nice bonus! Not sure if that was a one off thing or is the new price going forward.

How did you arrange for the port testing?

For those disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US (or another country which requires testing) same day via air. Princess has just updated their FAQS to suggest we are on our own to find testing. Also I think the wording also changed and now suggests they will cover post cruise quarantine only if you test positive while ON the ship, not if you test positive at  disembarkation. I am flying in 6 days (cruising in 9) and this is causing a bit of panic for me. 

Screenshot_20220505-110910_Chrome.jpg

28 minutes ago, erber said:

We are now back to ordering Emed tests so we can test the day before disembarkation. I am not pleased by this change by Princess.

So thankfully I went ahead and ordered some last week. I ordered 4 for 4 us so hopefully none are faulty. The lack of clarity  and inconsistency by Princess on both pre  and post cruise testing has me stressed. And I am not talking about government rules they have no control over and must follow,  these are their own policies and posted guidelines they keep changing.

Edited by Buckeye10640

Buckeye,

I agree. It is very stressful and unfair to keep changing the protocols to make them more difficult within less than 30 days of the cruise. We are flying back to the U.S. at 1:00 p.m. when we disembark. My new concern is what if the internet cannot support doing the Emed test the day before???? Then what do we do?

Please post about your experience .... I leave 2 weeks after you. We are taking our son and his wife, mother in law and sister in law for a VERY "post wedding" celebration trip (wedding was a trip to the courthouse during covid.... We thought we would be all done with covid by now but clearly we are not....)

3 minutes ago, erber said:

Buckeye,

I agree. It is very stressful and unfair to keep changing the protocols to make them more difficult within less than 30 days of the cruise. We are flying back to the U.S. at 1:00 p.m. when we disembark. My new concern is what if the internet cannot support doing the Emed test the day before???? Then what do we do?

Please post about your experience .... I leave 2 weeks after you. We are taking our son and his wife, mother in law and sister in law for a VERY "post wedding" celebration trip (wedding was a trip to the courthouse during covid.... We thought we would be all done with covid by now but clearly we are not....)

I agree, just read the update on the website also.  I only hope the internet is better on the Royal than the Ruby.  We were on the Ruby last week and the internet was terrible.

27 minutes ago, 1rochelle said:

I agree, just read the update on the website also.  I only hope the internet is better on the Royal than the Ruby.  We were on the Ruby last week and the internet was terrible.

I think the internet response time depends on the itinerary, higher latitudes are worse.

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

So thankfully I went ahead and ordered some last week. I ordered 4 for 4 us so hopefully none are faulty. The lack of clarity  and inconsistency by Princess on both pre  and post cruise testing has me stressed. And I am not talking about government rules they have no control over and must follow,  these are their own policies and posted guidelines they keep changing.

It  may be a good idea to order few extra kits just in case(bad network connection, accidentally dropped it, faulty kit etc...). I saw a poster on a separate thread mentioned that due to problematic network connection at their hotel, they couldn't complete the proctored test within the time allowed. Luckily he/she had a spare kit to redo the test and passed.   

Testing in Vancouver

We just completed a cruise on the Discovery Princess from Los Angeles to Vancouver and flew home to Los Angeles directly after the cruise.  We had booked our air on Princess Air, and used the Princess transfer.  No COVID tests required to disembark in Canada, but flights to US required Negative test result.

Princess tested all passengers flying to international destinations on departure day, on-board on the day before departure.  They assigned passengers time slot to visit a ship dining room where they did the COVID test in groups, we waited 15 min for results in the dining room, and were handed the written results before leaving the dining room.  Took about 30 min including wait time.  No cost for the on-board Princess test.

Best part was Princess had transmitted Negative test result to the airline, so we only had to verify the info already transmitted at check in.

Also Princess required all passenger to complete the ArriveCAN app and Canada customs forms before our 1st Canada stop in Victoria, and we all walked off with no stopping for Canada immigration at either Victoria and Vancouver.  Very easy disembarkation in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LuvKruzn said:

Princess tested all passengers flying to international destinations on departure day, on-board on the day before departure. 

Sounds like things went well.  Is that  all pax or just all Princess Air pax?

1 hour ago, LuvKruzn said:

All passengers flying out same day as departure.

Sounds like Discovery has it managed very well.  The CB also was very organized in Feb and Mar with the testing the day before.  Good to hear.

3 hours ago, dchan865 said:

It  may be a good idea to order few extra kits just in case(bad network connection, accidentally dropped it, faulty kit etc...). I saw a poster on a separate thread mentioned that due to problematic network connection at their hotel, they couldn't complete the proctored test within the time allowed. Luckily he/she had a spare kit to redo the test and passed.   

Yes it would be a good idea. Unfotunately we are leaving Wed and didnt expect to really need the ones I got let alone need extras!

Buckeye, good luck! We are ordering the tests from Emed tonight. I guess I have to register with them to order 6 tests. I am hoping it all works out. We are bringing a laptop so I guess we will use it to do the proctored tests. I don't see how we can use a phone and do the testing because we would have nothing to mount the phone on. 

Let us know how it goes. Hope you have a great trip! I am hoping to do the Walgreens NAAT test 3 days before we embark in Anchorage ....hope that the 72 hour rule doesn't actually apply....

3 hours ago, LuvKruzn said:

Testing in Vancouver

We just completed a cruise on the Discovery Princess from Los Angeles to Vancouver and flew home to Los Angeles directly after the cruise.  We had booked our air on Princess Air, and used the Princess transfer.  No COVID tests required to disembark in Canada, but flights to US required Negative test result.

Princess tested all passengers flying to international destinations on departure day, on-board on the day before departure.  They assigned passengers time slot to visit a ship dining room where they did the COVID test in groups, we waited 15 min for results in the dining room, and were handed the written results before leaving the dining room.  Took about 30 min including wait time.  No cost for the on-board Princess test.

Best part was Princess had transmitted Negative test result to the airline, so we only had to verify the info already transmitted at check in.

Also Princess required all passenger to complete the ArriveCAN app and Canada customs forms before our 1st Canada stop in Victoria, and we all walked off with no stopping for Canada immigration at either Victoria and Vancouver.  Very easy disembarkation in Canada.

I can't thank you enough for this answer.  I am leaving Tuesday for my Alaska cruisetour(land first) and then ending with cruise that ends in Vancouver.  My TA has told me over and over and over that I would not have to purchase ahead of time and all taken care of by Princess, both on embarkation and disembarkation, and then I read the item above.  Well, needless I was having a heart attack as I didn't know what to do!  Then your post that backs what my TA has told me.  Thank you so much!!!!!  I am assuming it is for all Princess ships disembarking in Vancouver and not just Discover!

Pooh

7 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I can't thank you enough for this answer.  I am leaving Tuesday for my Alaska cruisetour(land first) and then ending with cruise that ends in Vancouver.  My TA has told me over and over and over that I would not have to purchase ahead of time and all taken care of by Princess, both on embarkation and disembarkation, and then I read the item above.  Well, needless I was having a heart attack as I didn't know what to do!  Then your post that backs what my TA has told me.  Thank you so much!!!!!  I am assuming it is for all Princess ships disembarking in Vancouver and not just Discover!

Pooh

I really and truly hope what your TA says  is true and testing will continue. I emailed my Princess PVP and she said "yeah looks like the rules changed again. i will check on it".  Are you on Majestic cruise 5/14?