Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

9 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I really and truly hope what your TA says  is true and testing will continue. I emailed my Princess PVP and she said "yeah looks like the rules changed again. i will check on it".  Are you on Majestic cruise 5/14?

Yes, I agree.  I am so frustrated. Just read today about changes and I leave Tuesday.  So I don’t have 2-4 business days to order tests. What do they do with people without the time to comply? I just guess I will go and see. What else can I do?  Is there a test I can buy in person and use!?  I need help as I did no looking into this as I was told I didn’t have to!!!

Pooh

1 hour ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Yes, I agree.  I am so frustrated. Just read today about changes and I leave Tuesday.  So I don’t have 2-4 business days to order tests. What do they do with people without the time to comply? I just guess I will go and see. What else can I do?  Is there a test I can buy in person and use!?  I need help as I did no looking into this as I was told I didn’t have to!!!

Pooh

It sure looks like Princess is saying, " Your cruise is over get off the ship, you are on your own no matter what we told you before".

There will probably be a whole lot of people trying to do tests via eMed before disembarking in Vancouver and we all know how reliable their internet has been.

We have a flight booked out of Vancouver but I think I will  book a flight out of Seattle and take the shuttle even if it means I have to eat the other flight.

The "new" Princess isn't looking too good.

2 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

Pooh

You fly out next Tuesday, we *embark* this Saturday onto Majestic, lol, and for 2 weeks!

Although I’m hopeful Princess will continue testing before disembarkation as a gesture of goodwill, I’m thinking the reports of people being tested are because they were “grandfathered” in, meaning their cruise was already underway when this policy change was implemented.  Since our cruises haven’t started yet, Princess could use that as the dividing line between being tested onboard or not.

in any event, there are a few options for getting a rapid antigen test at YVR for around CAD$79, however, they generally recommend allowing 2-hours before your flight for testing, results, checking in, etc.  Our departure flight is at 3:40pm, so I’m making a couple of different no-obligation appointments as our “worst case scenario” option.  If you guys have an early flight out, then your options are quite limited, and I wish you luck!

The two testing locations that I am considering:

https://covid-medical.ca/

https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/shop-dine-and-services/285

40 minutes ago, mark71mark said:

You fly out next Tuesday, we *embark* this Saturday onto Majestic, lol, and for 2 weeks!

Although I’m hopeful Princess will continue testing before disembarkation as a gesture of goodwill, I’m thinking the reports of people being tested are because they were “grandfathered” in, meaning their cruise was already underway when this policy change was implemented.  Since our cruises haven’t started yet, Princess could use that as the dividing line between being tested onboard or not.

in any event, there are a few options for getting a rapid antigen test at YVR for around CAD$79, however, they generally recommend allowing 2-hours before your flight for testing, results, checking in, etc.  Our departure flight is at 3:40pm, so I’m making a couple of different no-obligation appointments as our “worst case scenario” option.  If you guys have an early flight out, then your options are quite limited, and I wish you luck!

CVM does the testing in the terminal used by USA flights at YVR.  I'm pretty sure that they require pre-payment so there are no "no-obligation" appointments.  The pre-payment is refundable if you cancel prior to the appointment time.  CVM also has a testing site at Canada Place.  Both locations charge CAD $79 (+ GST).

I got a Princess email on 2022-05-05 at 6:01 PM Paris France time entitled "Super important boarding info!'. I clicked the "Proof of Vaccination link" and found a vax policy updated 2022-05-04 to the effect that we would be denied boarding on our 2022-05-09 Emerald Princess cruise out of Southampton because we had no booster. We have shots 1 and 2 of Pfizer.

Princess gave us 4 days warning of this which I think is both unfair and outrageous. I got into a chat with Princess to protest and they agreed to accept a PCR test in lieu of a booster. They also agreed to send me an email confirming this but I have not received it.

As of 10:33 Paris time on 2022-05-06 the vax policy is now marked as amended 2022-05-06 but seems to have the same wording, ie I must have a booster or be denied boarding.

Has anyone else seen the same thing? Can Princess be relied on to honour the promise given in the chat? I have the chat down loaded and available to print, but ...

I woke up this morning to find an email from Princess with this message regarding our Alaska cruisetour in 3 weeks.                                 

UPDATED DISEMBARK TESTING POLICY FOR YOUR CRUISE

Please be advised that due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret that we are unable to provide debark testing in Vancouver, British Columbia for guests who require a negative COVID-19 test for travel back to the U.S.

For guests flying home on the day of disembarkation, we recommend utilizing the testing facilities at Vancouver International Airport (YVR). For more information regarding locations, pricing, and reservations, please visit: https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing. For additional information about testing locations in and around Vancouver, please visit https://*****/3KD1rig.

We have also partnered with Optum and Radeas so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized medically observed at-home antigen test kit. To order an Optum home test, please visit https://*****/3FfbQiV. For Radeas, visit https://cruise.radeas.com/.

I woke up this morning to find an email from Princess with this message regarding our Alaska cruisetour in 3 weeks.                                 

UPDATED DISEMBARK TESTING POLICY FOR YOUR CRUISE

Please be advised that due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret that we are unable to provide debark testing in Vancouver, British Columbia for guests who require a negative COVID-19 test for travel back to the U.S.

For guests flying home on the day of disembarkation, we recommend utilizing the testing facilities at Vancouver International Airport (YVR). For more information regarding locations, pricing, and reservations, please visit: https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/travel-planning/takecare/covid-19-testing. For additional information about testing locations in and around Vancouver, please visit https://*****/3KD1rig.

We have also partnered with Optum and Radeas so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized medically observed at-home antigen test kit. To order an Optum home test, please visit https://*****/3FfbQiV. For Radeas, visit https://cruise.radeas.com/.

6 hours ago, mark71mark said:

Hi, we are on the second leg of your cruise!  Our return  flights are at 1pm. so not alot of time morning of disembarkation for testing. We have  a few eMed tests, I ordered a couple more yesterday but dont know if they will arrive before we leave Wed. I will check out your links as another backup plan. 

Well I guess we all have our answer. We are on our own for testing. We plan to go the Emed route and hope the internet is stable. We may book a back up test at airport just in case. I would prefer testing on ship just in case we are positive so we can hopefully insure Princess helps with quarantine on land in a hotel. Travel is no fun now....

Please be aware that there are HUNDREDS of us previous passengers from Enchanted and Emerald (and possibly Ruby also) who have been dumped in London.  Many tested positive before they left their ship, many tested but did not get the results from PC until they were at LHR, and many of us were told to 'test a LHR, we can't test you before you get off the ship b/c we don't have any time available for you the day before of the morning of debarkation'.  Surprise!  Arriving at LHR there were no testing slots available prior to our flights, AND some of us took the tests anyway and then found out we were Positive.  We had zero documentation from the ship, and had to GUESS what to do.  We are clustered in several hotels awaiting a Negative test (we have to find/arrange testing on our own), including Ibis, Rad BLU and Rad Red--try not to go to Ibis, the other two are supposedly much better.  Don't expect any 'Princess representative' at the hotel, either.  We are all THOROUGHLY  DISGUSTED  with the 'non-help' we are getting, and the boilerplate instructions from PC.  Many testing sites will not even admit you to their facility until ten+ days after you test Positive.  Prices vary widely for testing.  We are using Village Pharmacy on the High Street, close to Ibis and the Rads.  They sell self-test kits for 3 pounds.  My plan is to continue testing daily until I get negative, then go to a 'testing site' and get an 'official' negative test.  And then, hopefully, fly back to the US.  

Questions?  Will try to answer them.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

Please be aware that there are HUNDREDS of us previous passengers from Enchanted and Emerald (and possibly Ruby also) who have been dumped in London.  Many tested positive before they left their ship, many tested but did not get the results from PC until they were at LHR, and many of us were told to 'test a LHR, we can't test you before you get off the ship b/c we don't have any time available for you the day before of the morning of debarkation'.  Surprise!  Arriving at LHR there were no testing slots available prior to our flights, AND some of us took the tests anyway and then found out we were Positive.  We had zero documentation from the ship, and had to GUESS what to do.  We are clustered in several hotels awaiting a Negative test (we have to find/arrange testing on our own), including Ibis, Rad BLU and Rad Red--try not to go to Ibis, the other two are supposedly much better.  Don't expect any 'Princess representative' at the hotel, either.  We are all THOROUGHLY  DISGUSTED  with the 'non-help' we are getting, and the boilerplate instructions from PC.  Many testing sites will not even admit you to their facility until ten+ days after you test Positive.  Prices vary widely for testing.  We are using Village Pharmacy on the High Street, close to Ibis and the Rads.  They sell self-test kits for 3 pounds.  My plan is to continue testing daily until I get negative, then go to a 'testing site' and get an 'official' negative test.  And then, hopefully, fly back to the US.  

Questions?  Will try to answer them.

My question is do you have a private travel insurance policy/company (not Princess/AON insurance) you are working with and, if so, have they provided any guidance?  So sorry you are going through. I will be dealing with Canada in a few weeks. 

I just began following this thread, wondering if 3 days prior to boarding test was still required and see the discussion about returning to US from Canada. We are booked on NY to Quebec Sep 2022, so, this will apply to us. Princess website FAQ says we can do proctored test onboard, is that correct and has anyone done it?

Any suggestion where to get tested in Quebec? Ship is overnight in Quebec.

If we change to Quebec to NY, would we avoid this problem?

Sorry to come late to the discussion, I just made our booking and realized this might affect me. The test prior to retuning is a US CDC ruling, right?

Edited by Tedferg

On 5/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, kml246 said:

Agreed. Since UK, Norway, and Iceland are not members of the EU, I would expect three days would be good. However, my Travel Summary on the website still shows one day. 

Since we're leaving the US on July 19 for our July 22 cruise, I won't be able to get the test done in the US even if it's three days. We land at LHR on July 20 and spending two nights in Southampton. I'll see about getting the test done on July 21 at the local Boots or Lloyds. Haven't made an appt yet. Figured I'd wait until June to see if anything changes. 

Kevin

DAM-health has £24.49 certificated antigen tests performed by a clinicin. There is a branch in Southampton.

https://www.dam-health.com/antigen-test/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCJcjebwy-pmTx3cXCdYSHX6L6H0c31JZzNKE4yn61z5wHZSBUCAYOBoCGIQQAvD_BwE

20 minutes ago, optmax said:

DAM-health has £24.49 certificated antigen tests performed by a clinicin. There is a branch in Southampton.

https://www.dam-health.com/antigen-test/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCJcjebwy-pmTx3cXCdYSHX6L6H0c31JZzNKE4yn61z5wHZSBUCAYOBoCGIQQAvD_BwE

That may be really helpful for embarking from Southhampton, if PCL no longer tests for free?  

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I just began following this thread, wondering if 3 days prior to boarding test was still required and see the discussion about returning to US from Canada. We are booked on NY to Quebec Sep 2022, so, this will apply to us. Princess website FAQ says we can do proctored test onboard, is that correct and has anyone done it?

Any suggestion where to get tested in Quebec? Ship is overnight in Quebec.

If we change to Quebec to NY, would we avoid this problem?

Sorry to come late to the discussion, I just made our booking and realized this might affect me. The test prior to retuning is a US CDC ruling, right?

Looks like changes were made May 5, 22, just yesterday.  Under, health protocols, from US and Canada,

after your cruise:

Quote:

Voyages ending in Canada: Guests are responsible to arrange their COVID-19 tests and pay directly to the testing facility. Please note, tests are not required for guests disembarking in Vancouver and returning to the US via motorcoach.*

We encourage guests to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites for the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides help administer the test and verify the results, usually within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered by email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to receive the test at home before going to the ship. Order your test kit online^.

*As long as guests have the right to enter the U.S. (citizenship or visa), they do not need a test to enter at a land border.

^You are now leaving princess.com and navigating to a 3rd party website that is not owned, operated, or controlled by Princess or any of its affiliates.

Unquote 

Edited by PacnGoNow

22 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I really and truly hope what your TA says  is true and testing will continue. I emailed my Princess PVP and she said "yeah looks like the rules changed again. i will check on it".  Are you on Majestic cruise 5/14?

Here's a suggestion for those of you disembarking in Vancouver. If it's possible to get your flight refunded, take the Princess excursion bus to Seattle then fly out of Seattle. I think the excursion fare was $79.  No test is required to cross the border by motorcoach or train. You will then fly domestically within the US where no tests are required.  It's unfortunate the rules changed so abruptly.  

• Like 1

We have a question.  

We are scheduled to cruise on Discovery Princess, Seattle to Seattle, leaving on Sunday, July 10th.  My wife, myself, and my son are fully vaccinated.  I and my wife have received two vaccines and two boosters, my son has received two vaccines and one booster.

We prefer to have the antigen test.  

According to Princess we must be tested 3 days before sailing (with Sunday being exempt).  Does that mean we need to obtain our Covid testing on Thursday, or do we have to obtain the test on Friday.

Thanks for your help. 

stevenr597 this example is from Princess FAQ:

"As an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the two-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.'

So, 3 days would extend to Thursday.

What do you mean by 'Sunday exempt'

32 minutes ago, highloyo said:

Here's a suggestion for those of you disembarking in Vancouver. If it's possible to get your flight refunded, take the Princess excursion bus to Seattle then fly out of Seattle. I think the excursion fare was $79.  No test is required to cross the border by motorcoach or train. You will then fly domestically within the US where no tests are required.  It's unfortunate the rules changed so abruptly.  

There is no excursion that goes to Seattle. I spoke with Princess, they are not offering a transfer to SEATAC. You will have to book directly with a shuttle service.

Princess is becoming professional at letting their customers down.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coasty said:

There is no excursion that goes to Seattle. I spoke with Princess, they are not offering a transfer to SEATAC. You will have to book directly with a shuttle service.

We are doing a covid test in Victoria, since it is just the day before we leave out of Vancouver.  More costly but less hassle.  I will say Princess is going to loose a lot of business with their lack of customer service.  Just got off Ruby last week on a North Coast cruise and very disappointing.

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

stevenr597 this example is from Princess FAQ:

"As an example, for a fully vaccinated guest sailing on Sunday, the two-day antigen test may be taken on Friday or Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.'

So, 3 days would extend to Thursday.

What do you mean by 'Sunday exempt'

I had read that the day of cruising was not listed as a “day”

3 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

We disembarked the Discovery on May 4 in Vancouver. Princess offered a transfer to SeaTac. It was one of our options since quarantine restrictions were from 5-14 days (it kept changing). We self tested on May 2. If one of us were positive then we would not take the Princess provided test on May 3 for air travel from YVR and sign up to go to SeaTac. My SIL lives in Kent and we would stay with her until clear. Since we were negative we took the Princess test on May 3 with the negative results sent to the airline. Our flights were flexible as a retired airline employee. 

Princess FAQ's say this:

Yes, based on current Canadian requirements for voyages that embark in Canada on their cruise itinerary, all guests ages five and above will require a medically observed negative viral COVID-19 test result taken before boarding the ship:

Within 2 days for Antigen

Within 72 hours for PCR

Below they have the list of acceptable tests, which has been quoted here many times, showing the acceptable antigen tests and acceptable NAAT tests. We know from this and passenger's experiences that a Rapid NAAT test is acceptable.

But a Rapid NAAT test is neither an antigen test nor a PCR test. So is it 2 days or 72 hours before if you're using a Rapid NAAT test?

12 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I had read that the day of cruising was not listed as a “day”

No, read the above Princess example for two days, sailing on Sunday. Sunday to Saturday = 1 day, Saturday to Friday = 2 days. The important difference is saying 2 or 3 'Days' versus 48 or 72 hours.

If it was 48 hours, then a 4:00 Sunday sail would mean 4:00 or later Friday. With 2 Days you could test first thing Friday, effectively giving a longer window.