Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

22 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Well said!

I understand on the longer voyages why they require it. Too difficult to get medical care in some areas and/or too far for medivac to rescue a guest on the ship.

The winter is the season for flu/RSV/covid issues. 

We just returned from an enhanced voyage.  Left 1 guest at a hospital in Kauai, 1 guest in a hospital In Moorea and US Coast guard medivac out at sea last night of the cruise.  Luckily, this last guest was within flying distance for the helicopter.  

So, definitely understand.  We just do the test.  Not a big issue.  

Duration of the cruise is no longer a determining factor in testing requirements.  Princess eliminated that a while ago.  As for remoteness and access to care, my Oct TA from Southampton to FLL had no testing requirements - and we had lots of days in the middle of the Atlantic not near anything.  As for seasons, it is currently summer in the Southern hemisphere.

I have no problem complying with the testing requirements.  On that note, I would like requirements to be clearly communicated and Princess fails in this effort.  I agree with the OP, I would like to understand why Princess requires a Covid test for some (Dec/Jan/Mar yes, Feb no) of the South America cruises.  The countries on the itinerary don't require a test if you are vaxxed.  For the cruise itself, Princess requires that you are vaxxed and at least one booster for these cruises.

The good news is that per an email from Princess last night, I can now do a self-administered antigen test for the 12/19 Santiago to BA cruise.  The medically observed requirement has been removed.  This is a recent change and makes it much easier as I'll be in Santiago 5 days prior to embarkation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

I agree with the OP, I would like to understand why Princess requires a Covid test for some (Dec/Jan/Mar yes, Feb no) of the South America cruises

It is currently required for those itineraries that include Antarctica.

19 minutes ago, kamelia said:

It is currently required for those itineraries that include Antarctica.

Sounds plausible, however the March SA cruises aren't doing Antartica and they are included on the Enhanced protocols which requires testing.  That includes the cruise from Santiago to LA.

Did the upcoming Princess Sapphire cruise (December 19 to South America and Antarctica) get rid of the "medically observed" part of the COVID test?

Here is what Cruise Personalizer says for my voyage:

Due to the itinerary of this voyage, guests ages 18 and above must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and, if eligible, have received a COVID-19 booster. Eligibility is determined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines at https://*****/cdc_booster. Only one booster dose is needed to be considered fully vaccinated, and boosters may be received any time up to embarkation.
Guests ages 5 and above must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen test) taken within three days before cruise embarkation. Self- administered Rapid Antigen Tests are permitted.
Review health and safety information at https://*****/pcl_chfaq.

That remains different than the FAQ, though, which still says "medically observed" and does not have the line that self-administered rapid antigen tests.

13 hours ago, goingtoseepenguins said:

Did the upcoming Princess Sapphire cruise (December 19 to South America and Antarctica) get rid of the "medically observed" part of the COVID test?

Here is what Cruise Personalizer says for my voyage:

Due to the itinerary of this voyage, guests ages 18 and above must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and, if eligible, have received a COVID-19 booster. Eligibility is determined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines at https://*****/cdc_booster. Only one booster dose is needed to be considered fully vaccinated, and boosters may be received any time up to embarkation.
Guests ages 5 and above must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen test) taken within three days before cruise embarkation. Self- administered Rapid Antigen Tests are permitted.
Review health and safety information at https://*****/pcl_chfaq.

That remains different than the FAQ, though, which still says "medically observed" and does not have the line that self-administered rapid antigen tests.

It appears they did for the 12/19 cruise.  The Travel Summary I printed  on Sunday has different wording than what it says today. I will use the most current communication as my governing document which is the email Monday night. This also corresponds to the info in the Cruise Personalizer. I will now do a non-medically observed, self-administered home test   

Honestly, there is so much outdated and contradictory information in the FAQ section that Princess needs to scrap it and start over. An added bonus would be if it was done by someone with proofreading and editing skills.

I was told by 2 Princess reps I spoke with that a self-administered test was fine (going to Antartica, cruise leaves Santiago Monday)

Can anyone who is also fully vaccinated (have my proof uploaded) confirm that a self administered test was acceptable?

2 minutes ago, goingtoseepenguins said:

I'm going to go through with the medically-observed appointment, because I've already paid for it.

The notice I got on Monday says masks will be required for the first three days on board. Anybody else see that too?  

They’re doing that on the enhanced voyages to keep the covid cases down.

They give you a letter in your cabin from the Dr on the ship with instructions.

Princess just sent this booking notification out to passengers om the January 5 Panama Canal/World cruise.

UPDATED COVID-19 TESTING REQUIREMENTS
Please be advised that due to Colombian requirements, guests ages 19 and above on this voyage who are not fully vaccinated for COVID-19 must produce the results of a negative COVID-19 test at cruise check-in. This may be a PCR test taken within 72 hours of embarkation or a medically observed Antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation. Self-tests that are not medically observed are not accepted. Unvaccinated guests ages 18 and younger are not required to test.
No COVID-19 testing is required for guests who are fully vaccinated. To be considered fully vaccinated a guest must have completed their final dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to embarkation.
Thank you for your attention to this notification.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TXMJK said:

Princess just sent this booking notification out to passengers om the January 5 Panama Canal/World cruise.

UPDATED COVID-19 TESTING REQUIREMENTS
Please be advised that due to Colombian requirements, guests ages 19 and above on this voyage who are not fully vaccinated for COVID-19 must produce the results of a negative COVID-19 test at cruise check-in. This may be a PCR test taken within 72 hours of embarkation or a medically observed Antigen test taken within 48 hours of embarkation. Self-tests that are not medically observed are not accepted. Unvaccinated guests ages 18 and younger are not required to test.
No COVID-19 testing is required for guests who are fully vaccinated. To be considered fully vaccinated a guest must have completed their final dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days prior to embarkation.
Thank you for your attention to this notification.

Note.  Colombia has required a negative test for unvaccinated for over a year.  Sad Princess just figured this out as Emerald Princess departs LA with a stop in Colombia in THREE DAYS.

19 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Note.  Colombia has required a negative test for unvaccinated for over a year.  Sad Princess just figured this out as Emerald Princess departs LA with a stop in Colombia in THREE DAYS.

Princess didn't just figure out the Columbian requirements. Their 'Columbia' protocol, which applies to the Emerald cruise you reference, has those exact requirements listed. Current version of the protocol is dated 12/2.

Edited by Aggie83
  • Like 1

Yes, a non-medically observed self-administered antigen home test is accepted for cruises with the Enhanced protocol.  Granted Princess could always revert to the previous requirement of a medically observed test in the future, but today self-administered is accepted.

On Saturday I took my non-medically observed self-administered home antigen test. I uploaded a pic of the negative test results along with my ID to the Medallion app. I boarded the ship today. No issue or questions asked about the self-administered test. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

Yes, a non-medically observed self-administered antigen home test is accepted for cruises with the Enhanced protocol.  Granted Princess could always revert to the previous requirement of a medically observed test in the future, but today self-administered is accepted.

On Saturday I took my non-medically observed self-administered home antigen test. I uploaded a pic of the negative test results along with my ID to the Medallion app. I boarded the ship today. No issue or questions asked about the self-administered test. 

Why does it say:  Dec 14, 2022
on the website?

Very confusing still.

What are the testing requirements for enhanced guidelines voyages?

For voyages departing from the U.S., Chile and Vancouver, all guests 5 and older must provide a medically assisted Antigen or PCR within 3 days from departure.

For voyages departing, arriving or visiting Australia, all guests 2 and older must provide medically assisted Antigen within 48 hours or PCR within 72 hours.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Edited by PacnGoNow

Does anyone know the reason that the March 9, 2023 14-day TA FLL to Barcelona on the Enchanted is an enhanced voyage?  It has one stop in Portugal then 4 in Spain before ending in BCN.  As far as I know, there currently aren't any Covid testing requirements to enter either Portugal or Spain, or Spain from Portugal.  

I'm also not clear on if we need a medically-observed test or if a home test will do.  As referenced directly above, the website indicates an official test, but the wellness check on the app for this specific voyage contradicts that and says to upload a photo of the self test result.  

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:
on the website?

Very confusing still.

For voyages departing from the U.S., Chile and Vancouver, all guests 5 and older must provide a medically assisted Antigen or PCR within 3 days from departure.

For voyages departing, arriving or visiting Australia, all guests 2 and older must provide medically assisted Antigen within 48 hours or PCR within 72 hours.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

The 12/14 date may apply to the one line item that says "Updated". That is incorrect information on testing for the 'enhanced' protocol.  They have outdated/contradictory information on their website.  On 12/13 I received the following communication from Princess. This same verbiage was in my Cruise Personalizer for that cruise. My cruise had the "enhanced" protocol.

image.thumb.png.22d79a8d11fd6152140d7f59b38a319d.png

The list of cruises with the applicable protocol (e.g. enhanced, Japan, Columbia, Australia) is no longer accessible on the website. It was available just a few days ago. I see that the main page on Princess no longer has the health advisory banner either. Maybe they are in the process of revamping the info?????

Edited by Aggie83

22 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Does anyone know the reason that the March 9, 2023 14-day TA FLL to Barcelona on the Enchanted is an enhanced voyage?  It has one stop in Portugal then 4 in Spain before ending in BCN.  As far as I know, there currently aren't any Covid testing requirements to enter either Portugal or Spain, or Spain from Portugal.  

I'm also not clear on if we need a medically-observed test or if a home test will do.  As referenced directly above, the website indicates an official test, but the wellness check on the app for this specific voyage contradicts that and says to upload a photo of the self test result.  

What does your Cruise Personalizer say? The Travel Summary?

33 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

What does your Cruise Personalizer say? The Travel Summary?

Regarding why it's an enhanced voyage? Or if a self-test or medically-observed test is needed?  Neither the Personalizer nor the Travel Summary mention either one that I can find.

The only reason I know it's on the enhanced list is that someone on the roll call mentioned it and I looked for myself.

Edited by pompeii

29 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

The 12/14 date may apply to the one line item that says "Updated". That is incorrect information on testing for the 'enhanced' protocol.  They have outdated/contradictory information on their website.  On 12/13 I received the following communication from Princess. This same verbiage was in my Cruise Personalizer for that cruise. My cruise had the "enhanced" protocol.

image.thumb.png.22d79a8d11fd6152140d7f59b38a319d.png

The list of cruises with the applicable protocol (e.g. enhanced, Japan, Columbia, Australia) is no longer accessible on the website. It was available just a few days ago. I see that the main page on Princess no longer has the health advisory banner either. Maybe they are in the process of revamping the info?????

I think they are working on it.  I still see the banner.  They deleted South America from the Q&A section. Cruise health tool

not available etc.

So, definitely changes going on.

Enjoy your cruise!  

1 minute ago, pompeii said:

Regarding why it's an enhanced voyage? Or if a self-test or medically-observed test is needed?  Either way, neither the Personalizer or the Travel Summary mention either one.

It’s too early.  Our enhanced voyage recently, showed the vaccination and testing requirements much closer to departure.  
It’s changing frequently now. 

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:
on the website?

Very confusing still.

Check now. There are updates noted as of 12/19.

8 hours ago, pompeii said:

A little off topic, but check your email from Princess.  Just got this:

Use your FCC and take advantage of this exclusive fare from $279 per person – that's 50% off Princess Standard fares*! Sail roundtrip on Enchanted Princess® from Barcelona with stops in Marseille, Corsica and Gibraltar.

To take advantage of this limited-time offer, call 1.800.PRINCESS or contact your Travel Advisor and reference promo code "UMA." Prefer to book online? Sign in ❯ and complete your stateroom selection on voyage N308N to view your discounted fare.

It's Mar 23 for 6 days from Barcelona.  That would be a really nice and reasonable B2B! (Shows up on the website at the regular price $553 and up.)  

• Thanks 1

I'm on the January 7, 2023 Caribbean Princess 10-night Panama Canal, r/t from FLL. Everything on the Princess website and CruiseHealth tool say the voyage is Standard Protocols. But in my Cruise Personalizer, there is a notification that proof of vax or test is now required. 

Has anyone sailed to Colombia lately? Will there be somewhere in the app to upload this proof? Or will they ask for it at embarkation? It is possible to not show proof at embarkation and simply not get off in Colombia? 

10 hours ago, smiller35 said:

I'm on the January 7, 2023 Caribbean Princess 10-night Panama Canal, r/t from FLL. Everything on the Princess website and CruiseHealth tool say the voyage is Standard Protocols. But in my Cruise Personalizer, there is a notification that proof of vax or test is now required. 

Has anyone sailed to Colombia lately? Will there be somewhere in the app to upload this proof? Or will they ask for it at embarkation? It is possible to not show proof at embarkation and simply not get off in Colombia? 

You will need to show proof of vaccination either uploaded or at embarkation. We always make sure we have visible proof of our cards. If you do not show proof of vaccination then you will need to show proof of a negative test. If you put your voyage number into the health protocol section of the Princess website you will see this requirement