Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Tagging @ROWSE.  I will also post this on our RC.

Okay folks reading here on the GREECE update today that is still confusing.  Well, you can pop the champagne because by tonight, it is the Header of the Greece section that was not updated and should be.  Here is a section of my CHAT:

STEELERS36 9:58:40 PM
I want to know if you are well experienced with it and then I will give you the scenario...

Mark troy 9:59:20 PM
I see..Sure, yes you may.

STEELERS36 10:00:23 PM
Ok, Mark..... So the GREECE exception section for testing was updated today from it's original August 16 version. Greece is an exception case to Europe in general .......... <more>

Mark troy 10:01:15 PM
Yes, I see..That's correct.

STEELERS36 10:01:21 PM
So, the AUG 16 version was requiring in-person by a medical person, plus a written report, for any guest Departing from Greece, Ending in Greece, or just visiting Greece ports..... <more>

STEELERS36 10:02:17 PM
The new version today, SEEMS to be trying to clarify that testing is now just for Greece DEPARTURES and the test is still in-person with written hardcopy report.

STEELERS36 10:02:24 PM
BUT it is not really clear.

STEELERS36 10:02:43 PM
The section Header still lists Depart, Arrive, Visit

STEELERS36 10:03:04 PM
But the text below talks about the in-person test as for Departures only.

STEELERS36 10:03:07 PM
Soooooo

Mark troy 10:03:07 PM
I knew it...Let me check this one, Checking resources..One moment please!

STEELERS36 10:03:35 PM
it isn't clear if a test is still req'd for port calls only and therefore that type of situation can be an online test.

OR...

whether the idea was to change the whole thing and only have a test if departing from Greece and ports call default back to the general Europe protocol which means no test at all

STEELERS36 10:04:33 PM
I am talking about fully vaxxed with booster

STEELERS36 10:04:55 PM
I have given all I can give for now .. END info from me so far

Mark troy 10:05:15 PM
No problem. Thanks you for all the details. Checking now...

Mark troy 10:05:35 PM
No worries. Please wait for me on the line. Ill give you an accurate and clear response.

STEELERS36 10:06:27 PM
Just a but more background. PCL had the Greece thing wrong in AUG 16. It was way over-done and no other line was doing it that way, especially HAL - sister line with shared Medical Dept

STEELERS36 10:06:33 PM
NP

Mark troy 10:07:20 PM
I see..Glad you know those details though...Still checking resources and for good measure, will check this on my colleagues.

STEELERS36 10:08:37 PM
One other point ... The new change makes sense if it is trying to state that in -person test is for Greece Departs only. For port calls, either no test req'd at all, or antigen self or online would do. OKay, I will shut up now... LOL

Mark troy 10:12:07 PM
No worries. i appreciate your feedback. Feel free to say something more if you think it could help you understand the policies, and we will raise it to our Management. As per colleagues and our resources, as per this day, September 19, testing is now only required for you, if your voyages will leave at Athens Greece. if you have a port of call in Athens, port in Greece, or arriving in Greece, testing is no longer required.

Mark troy 10:12:33 PM
wait, Ill answer more of your questions...

STEELERS36 10:13:39 PM
I understand what you have typed, but if you look at the section on Princess.com Cruise Health page, it isn't completely clear. I do agree that if it was not truly changed to what you typed above, why would they update the section (as there would be no change)?

Mark troy 10:13:58 PM
Yes, we do acknowledge that, the header section isn't just updated.

STEELERS36 10:14:12 PM
Can you please advise where you got the info to type back to me that NO TEST is required for voyages that only have Greece port call(s)?

Mark troy 10:14:22 PM
So from now on, testing for Greek Voyages will only require if cruise is leaving at Athens.

STEELERS36 10:14:33 PM
WOW!!! So I am right!! The header was supposed to be updated as well??!!!

STEELERS36 10:14:42 PM
WOOH HOOO!!!

STEELERS36 10:15:01 PM
So someone at Princess has definitely clarified this by this evening then?

Mark troy 10:15:07 PM
Yes it is.,..we do apologise. We have filed a ticket to our website team to raise that as well.

STEELERS36 10:15:15 PM
Great news!!!!

STEELERS36 10:16:00 PM
So, I can take this to the bank?? You definitely have info internally that no testing for Greece port calls and section should get updated again?

Mark troy 10:16:47 PM
Sadly we do have internal resources to share, but these are not shareable to guests for now, because the resource we have, is simply coming from the website. and only have our superiors that have received memos from our management, pertaining to the updates. That is why my answer is coming from my superior.

Mark troy 10:16:57 PM
Yes, you may.

Mark troy 10:17:18 PM
You can still call or chat us for updates if any.

STEELERS36 10:17:40 PM
Terrific.. no I wasn't asking you to send me something internal that you cannot. What you have said is good enough for me in terms of internal communications

Awesome job!!  Thank you. You 

@Steelers36 Nice work!  If this turns out to be true (I'm not doubting you) it saves everyone a lot of headaches! It appears to be confirmed with their updated vaccine-testing-requirements page below: It seems crazy that they only want to test you when you are DEPARTING Greece now.

Vaccination Status

Definition by Country's Health Authority

Pre-Travel Test Type &
When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated
18 and above

At least 14 days past completion of a primary vaccine series and no more than 270 days (9 months) from the date of disembarkation since receiving the last dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. A booster dose is required for guests 18 and older if the last COVID-19 vaccine dose in series is older than 9 months (270 days) from the date of disembarkation.

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Fully Vaccinated
5 to 17

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation.

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Not Fully Vaccinated*

Either not up to date or has not received a complete COVID-19 vaccine series. Please contact us to request a vaccination exemption to be presented upon embarkation.

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

*Kids 4 years of age and under are welcome to cruise and have no vaccination or test requirements. Minimum age to sail is 6 months or 12 months based on cruise itinerary, review Passage Contract for details.

Testing is required for all voyages departing from Athens, Greece. Tests must be conducted in-person by medical personnel and guests will need a physical letter with the negative results. Test results proctored by video are not accepted.

1 hour ago, Kabes said:

Honestly it is still very confusing because the header states: "Voyages Departing, Arriving or Visiting Greece"   I don't know why this can't be more clear lol

As long as the header says "Departing, Arriving or Visiting" we will be testing.  We do not want to have an issue at boarding.

• Like 1

For those taking a cruise departing from Barcelona, Spain just updated their COVID-19 related entry requirements:

As of Tuesday 20 September 2022, the Spain Travel Health (SpTH) portal, both the website and the mobile applications, will no longer be operational. It will NO LONGER be necessary to fill in the health control form to travel to Spain NOR to present the SpTH QR code when boarding or at the arrival airport.

https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm#collapse3

To me, this means there's no pre-entry test required anymore for not fully vaccinated people as well. Am I correct?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, syymisc said:

For those taking a cruise departing from Barcelona, Spain just updated their COVID-19 related entry requirements:

As of Tuesday 20 September 2022, the Spain Travel Health (SpTH) portal, both the website and the mobile applications, will no longer be operational. It will NO LONGER be necessary to fill in the health control form to travel to Spain NOR to present the SpTH QR code when boarding or at the arrival airport.

https://www.sanidad.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm#collapse3

To me, this means there's no pre-entry test required anymore for not fully vaccinated people as well. Am I correct?

15 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

@Steelers36  Thank you for putting in the time to get this clarified!  Now, if they would only update their web site correctly!

Website all corrected 😉

Voyages Departing from Greece

Updated: September 19, 2022

Vaccination Status

Pre-Travel Test Type &
When to Take Test Before Boarding

Fully Vaccinated
18 and above

At least 14 days past completion of a primary vaccine series and no more than 270 days (9 months) from the date of disembarkation since receiving the last dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine. A booster dose is required for guests 18 and older if the last COVID-19 vaccine dose in series is older than 9 months (270 days) from the date of disembarkation.

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Fully Vaccinated
5 to 17

Received primary series of COVID-19 vaccines with final dose at least 14 days before embarkation.

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Not Fully Vaccinated*

Either not up to date or has not received a complete COVID-19 vaccine series. Please contact us to request a vaccination exemption to be presented upon embarkation.

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

*Kids 4 years of age and under are welcome to cruise and have no vaccination or test requirements. Minimum age to sail is 6 months or 12 months based on cruise itinerary, review Passage Contract for details.

Testing is required for all voyages departing from Athens, Greece. Tests must be conducted in-person by medical personnel and guests will need a physical letter with the negative results. Test results proctored by video are not accepted.

• Like 2

Could someone please clarify something for me regarding the definition of fully vaccinated and Greece?  I called Princess several times before booking our cruise and got different answers from different reps (all very nice but seemed as confused as a lot of us).  Our cruise disembarks in Athens and we'll visit a few Greek ports.

A few in our group have the double dose of Pfizer and one booster.  However, the booster was at the end of 2021.  Cruise is May 2023.  Is the 270 days (9 months) only applicable from the 2nd of the two shot series, hence not needing an exemption (since they have 1 booster), or from the booster, making an exemption needed?

One rep said exemptions aren't needed because only 1 booster is available in USA at this time, so the timing of the booster doesn't apply, just so you have a booster.  Another rep thought it probably includes the lapse of time since the booster so an exemption would be needed.  Another rep incorrectly told me medical exemptions were needed for Greece!!--we almost didn't book!.  The 4th rep confirmed medical exemptions are not needed, just a  Princess exemption, which they've been giving out without any problems.  Finally, I felt comfortable enough to book but when I called back to see who all would need exemptions, I could tell that rep wasn't 100% sure either, so I got one for all of us even though most might not need it.

I know a lot can change by then, but the exemption letters are quite intense (a lot of testing possible throughout the cruise, might only be able to take certain Princess excursions, etc).      

Sadly there has been no update / change regarding cruises leaving Sydney (Australia) and a negative test is still required to board

I know that this is the rules of the Australian Government and not from Princess Cruises themselves

hopefully this will change before Feb 2023 when we cruise out of Sydney

image.thumb.png.ce7db0ea13ac4c4f393facc8fdd2ca6d.png

1 hour ago, MSMcDuffy said:

Could someone please clarify something for me regarding the definition of fully vaccinated and Greece?  I called Princess several times before booking our cruise and got different answers from different reps (all very nice but seemed as confused as a lot of us).  Our cruise disembarks in Athens and we'll visit a few Greek ports.

A few in our group have the double dose of Pfizer and one booster.  However, the booster was at the end of 2021.  Cruise is May 2023.  Is the 270 days (9 months) only applicable from the 2nd of the two shot series, hence not needing an exemption (since they have 1 booster), or from the booster, making an exemption needed?

One rep said exemptions aren't needed because only 1 booster is available in USA at this time, so the timing of the booster doesn't apply, just so you have a booster.  Another rep thought it probably includes the lapse of time since the booster so an exemption would be needed.  Another rep incorrectly told me medical exemptions were needed for Greece!!--we almost didn't book!.  The 4th rep confirmed medical exemptions are not needed, just a  Princess exemption, which they've been giving out without any problems.  Finally, I felt comfortable enough to book but when I called back to see who all would need exemptions, I could tell that rep wasn't 100% sure either, so I got one for all of us even though most might not need it.

I know a lot can change by then, but the exemption letters are quite intense (a lot of testing possible throughout the cruise, might only be able to take certain Princess excursions, etc).      

Oh boy.. I'd be sending back those exemptions and cancelling them.  You are going to be treated as unvaccinated and that won't be pleasant IMO.  The Europe 270 day rule applied from the initial series of shots and then a booster was required.  Once you have one booster, there is no 270 day expiry. 

Europe in general has dropped the 270 day rule.  Greece still has it.  There is tons of time for anyone in your group to get a booster if they are so inclined.  Otherwise, keep the letter and keep an eye on Europe protocols as Greece may change to ease up between now and next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a BinexNow Covid-19 Ag Card Home Test in January for a cruise I was taking in January. Didn't use it then, but now I want to use it at the end of Oct for a cruising into Canada.

On the box it says "For use under An Emergency Use Authorization only".

Is this test still valid??  Are we still in an Emergency Use Authorization situation?

I emailed Abbot Lab, but not holding my breath about hearing back from them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

I bought a BinexNow Covid-19 Ag Card Home Test in January for a cruise I was taking in January. Didn't use it then, but now I want to use it at the end of Oct for a cruising into Canada.

On the box it says "For use under An Emergency Use Authorization only".

Is this test still valid??  Are we still in an Emergency Use Authorization situation?

I emailed Abbot Lab, but not holding my breath about hearing back from them.

Yes, they all say that because of the pandemic.

You have an expiration date on the box. That’s what’s important.  The earlier date is the manufacture date and the later one is the expiration date.  
Check that date.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, they all say that because of the pandemic.

You have an expiration date on the box. That’s what’s important.  The earlier date is the manufacture date and the later one is the expiration date.  
Check that date.

From the FDA's website (https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-covid-19-diagnostic-tests-frequently-asked-questions#date-extended).  I added the bolding,

Q: Can the expiration date of an at-home COVID-19 diagnostic test be extended? (4/28/22) 

A: Yes.  Once the test manufacturer has more stability testing results, such as 12 or 18 months, the test manufacturer can contact the FDA to request that the FDA authorize a longer shelf-life.  When a longer shelf-life is authorized, the expiration dates will be extended and the test manufacturer may send a notice to customers to provide the new authorized expiration dates, so the customers know how long they can use the tests they already have.  If you did not purchase your at-home COVID-19 diagnostic test directly from the test manufacturer, you may not receive such a notice.  You can check the Expiration Date column of the List of Authorized At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests to see if the expiration date for your at-home OTC COVID-19 test has been extended and how to find any new expiration date. 

Q: How do I know if the expiration date of my at-home COVID-19 test has been extended? Where do I find the updated expiration date? (4/28/22) 

A: You can check the Expiration Date column of the List of Authorized At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests to see if the expiration date for your at-home OTC COVID-19 test has been extended and how to find any new expiration date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

From the FDA's website (https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-covid-19-diagnostic-tests-frequently-asked-questions#date-extended).  I added the bolding,

Q: Can the expiration date of an at-home COVID-19 diagnostic test be extended? (4/28/22) 

A: Yes.  Once the test manufacturer has more stability testing results, such as 12 or 18 months, the test manufacturer can contact the FDA to request that the FDA authorize a longer shelf-life.  When a longer shelf-life is authorized, the expiration dates will be extended and the test manufacturer may send a notice to customers to provide the new authorized expiration dates, so the customers know how long they can use the tests they already have.  If you did not purchase your at-home COVID-19 diagnostic test directly from the test manufacturer, you may not receive such a notice.  You can check the Expiration Date column of the List of Authorized At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests to see if the expiration date for your at-home OTC COVID-19 test has been extended and how to find any new expiration date. 

Q: How do I know if the expiration date of my at-home COVID-19 test has been extended? Where do I find the updated expiration date? (4/28/22) 

A: You can check the Expiration Date column of the List of Authorized At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests to see if the expiration date for your at-home OTC COVID-19 test has been extended and how to find any new expiration date. 

That’s good, as the poster may need this. 
Thanks!

On 9/20/2022 at 6:46 PM, syymisc said:

That's why nobody checked it when we landed in Barcelona this morning!

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 3:07 AM, Linsifer said:

Since we’re stopping in Canada on our October 9 cruise, we will need to get a COVID test.  We don’t have any places that do rapid antigen in person unless you pay a lot, so we’re going to a local lab to do a PCR test.they said the results usually come back by the end of the next day.  Medicare covers it.  We’ll do it 72 hours before, so that should give us time before we embark.  Has anyone here done a PCR test and had any issues getting the results in time for your cruise?

We're on same cruise - I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but I do have a question! May I ask where you will be getting your PCR test?  We'll be in CA a few days before the cruise and will also need to get a test somewhere in SF.  Thanks.

21 hours ago, socmft said:

We're on same cruise - I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but I do have a question! May I ask where you will be getting your PCR test?  We'll be in CA a few days before the cruise and will also need to get a test somewhere in SF.  Thanks.

The Canadian government announced today that, as of October 1, passengers on cruise ships operating in Canada will no longer need to take pre-boarding Covid tests, to be vaccinated, or use ArriveCan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

The Canadian government announced today that, as of October 1, passengers on cruise ships operating in Canada will no longer need to take pre-boarding Covid tests, to be vaccinated, or use ArriveCan.

Official link  https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/09/government-of-canada-to-remove-covid-19-border-and-travel-measures-effective-october-1.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Requirements for Greece changed today, AGAIN!  You now need a booster if you are arriving, departing or visiting Greece.

Voyages that Include Greece

Updated: September 26, 2022

Vaccination Status

Pre-Travel Test Type &
When to Take Test Before Boarding (ONLY required for departures from Greece)

Fully Vaccinated
18 and above

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Fully Vaccinated
5 to 17

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Not Fully Vaccinated*

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Antigen within 2 days
OR
PCR within 3 days

Vaccination is required for voyages that depart, arrive or visit Greece. Testing is ONLY required for all voyages departing from Athens, Greece. Tests must be conducted in-person by medical personnel and guests will need a physical letter with the negative results. Test results proctored by video are not accepted.

So our cruise visits Greece.  We have had primary vaccine rounds and two boosters.  Last booster was in February which is over 270 days by the time we disembarkation on 12/2 BUT as I read it. We are OK? As we have 2 boosters ??

Opinions??