Personal Stand-Up Electric Scooters to use on in Port Stops

Stefanni0522

Hello - I have searched near and far on Google and keep getting results for Mobility Scooters so I wanted to ask if any one here has had experience with bringing aboard a personal stand up scooter to only use once you are in port?  

This is a foldable scooter that we just want to bring aboard and then use to scoot around each port.  Certainly would not use on the ship.  Anyone have any experience with bringing one aboard at embarkation?  We will be on an MSC cruise 1/16/2022 if that makes any difference.  I just think they are too new to have any protocol. 

Thank you in advance for any info you can share 🙂 

image.thumb.png.43ec1e1f286d72e64dd7ddf42b67dbbe.png

You might have better luck posting this question on the Disney board or other child-friendly line. I see kids on these all the time on the city sidewalks next to their walking parents. 

It's a great idea if you'll be on pavement.

I know that some lines have forbidden bringing a bicycle on board and even a folding one that you will keep in your cabin.  You can't even bring it if you plan to only use it off the ship.  I suspect that this is probably because some idiots decided to ride their bikes on the ship so everyone is punished because of a few idiots.  It is probably likely that the lines will feel even more anti scooters than anti bikes.  You need to check with the regulations on the cruise company site or have your TA check for you.

Don't assume.  If you bring it when you aren't allowed to, at best it will be locked up for the duration of the cruise and at worse they may confiscate the scooter.

1. Have you looked on the MSC website for items not permitted on board? Even if scooters aren't listed,  I'd still call the cruiseline and ask.

2 What ports are you visiting? I can think of many ports where the roads (and the sidewalks when present) were too narrow, busy, and/or uneven and rough for the safe operation of these  devices. Not to mention how crowded they often are when ships are in port. You won't often encounter the relatively empty, smooth concrete or asphalt you're used to in suburbia.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:34 AM, Stefanni0522 said:

Hello - I have searched near and far on Google and keep getting results for Mobility Scooters so I wanted to ask if any one here has had experience with bringing aboard a personal stand up scooter to only use once you are in port?  

This is a foldable scooter that we just want to bring aboard and then use to scoot around each port.  Certainly would not use on the ship.  Anyone have any experience with bringing one aboard at embarkation?  We will be on an MSC cruise 1/16/2022 if that makes any difference.  I just think they are too new to have any protocol. 

Thank you in advance for any info you can share 🙂 

image.thumb.png.43ec1e1f286d72e64dd7ddf42b67dbbe.png

Are these electric?  If so definitely don’t bring them. 

1 hour ago, TrinaLC said:

Why not?

I would think if OP placed it in a duffel bag no one would care one way or the other!

Issues with charging them could well prevent acceptance of carriage of them onboard.

5 minutes ago, sidari said:

Issues with charging them could well prevent acceptance of carriage of them onboard.

And if they are lithium batteries (most likely) with over a 100-watt storage, many airlines will not allow them, or at least will require a formal request for transport.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 8:16 AM, TrinaLC said:

Why not?

I would think if OP placed it in a duffel bag no one would care one way or the other!

The electric ones are even more restricted due to fires.  Airlines don’t always allow them , even in checked luggage.  They have a lot of batteries and exceed thresholds that they need to be reported for transit.