Cancellation Options

cruzysuzy

DH and I missed celebrating our 30th anniversary last year on a dream cruisetour in Alaska.  We are rescheduled for late May-June of this year but I'm getting cold feet about cruising.  Because of missed cruises we upgraded to a full suite on the sea portion and still have to finish paying the difference off three months prior.  

I've watched some videos and read some post about quarantine.  The idea of investing a lot of money in a once in a lifetime cruise and getting stuck in an inferior (and interior room as I am claustrophobic) is not palatable.  I've have never tested positive for covid but that does not mean that I may have had it and was asymptomatic.  I am vaxxed (and concerned about the number of vaxxed still getting covid) but that does not mean that I cannot test positive at any point and get thrown into quarantine.  If Princess still requires testing in May, I could get caught up in this.

My question is about the refund.  Will they refund the full amount invested or try to force 'future cruise credit'?  As long as variants keep spinning out, the future of cruising looks iffy.

57 minutes ago, cruzysuzy said:

DH and I missed celebrating our 30th anniversary last year on a dream cruisetour in Alaska.  We are rescheduled for late May-June of this year but I'm getting cold feet about cruising.  Because of missed cruises we upgraded to a full suite on the sea portion and still have to finish paying the difference off three months prior.  

Not that this helps but the quarantine cabins on the Grand were balcony cabins.

I understand having cold feet. Our cases are skyrocketing and I am glad I cruised when I did in December.

Good luck in your decision.

22 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We have cancelled our upcoming cruise less than 30 days out.  I am having to go through Aon Insurance.  Princess *said* we could get a refund (it was a January cruise).  The jury's still out...waiting on Aon now.

Cancel for any reason= FCC, right?

I would love to get a response or suggestions on the following. 
We, too have a cruise coming up that will probably need to be covid cancelled. I understand that FCC is offered but with a limited timeline, I believe that it is December 2022, This is not my first cancellation since the FCC used for this cruise was from a previous cruise to Japan that Princess cancelled,  December 2022 might still not be workable

We have an additional consideration. As seniors in our middle 80’s, cruising may not be an option, Since thousands of dollars are involved, I would like to offer some alternatives .Princess has said no to. When I suggested it. 
Due to delays and rescheduling, we may not be able to cruise due to health, physical and health issues related to advanced age. 
I would like to have the option of gifting family members with our FCC. I would feel good about them enjoying the experience, and becoming new future cruisers.

what a great way for the cruise lines to develop a whole new generation of travelers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SchwartzBwithU said:

I would like to have the option of gifting family members with our FCC. I would feel good about them enjoying the experience, and becoming new future cruisers.

what a great way for the cruise lines to develop a whole new generation of travelers.

I think this is a great idea!

2 hours ago, cruzysuzy said:

I've watched some videos and read some post about quarantine.  The idea of investing a lot of money in a once in a lifetime cruise and getting stuck in an inferior (and interior room as I am claustrophobic) is not palatable.  I've have never tested positive for covid but that does not mean that I may have had it and was asymptomatic.  I am vaxxed (and concerned about the number of vaxxed still getting covid) but that does not mean that I cannot test positive at any point and get thrown into quarantine.  If Princess still requires testing in May, I could get caught up in this.

My question is about the refund.  Will they refund the full amount invested or try to force 'future cruise credit'?  As long as variants keep spinning out, the future of cruising looks iffy.

A suggestion is to use the “Chat” on the Princess & post what they tell you. 

Tom😀

4 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

How? Every time I’ve used it the chat person hangs up and it disappears before I have a chance to do anything.

When you are finished chatting (even if the agent is "gone")...BEFORE you click the "X" in the upper right corner...look in the upper LEFT corner.  You should see 3 horizontal lines.  Click on those and you should see options.

Bear in mind that I'm recalling this from memory...it may be slightly different!

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

When you are finished chatting (even if the agent is "gone")...BEFORE you click the "X" in the upper right corner...look in the upper LEFT corner.  You should see 3 horizontal lines.  Click on those and you should see options.

Bear in mind that I'm recalling this from memory...it may be slightly different!

32 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

image.png.0d7e3a9ce2ad9fb03b4a556010131c8e.png

Thank you!  I saw the stars and figured that was it.

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You should see 3 horizontal lines.  Click on those and you should see options.

FYI, I learned recently that those three lines are often referred to as 'the hamburger'. I was puzzled when advised to 'click on the Hamburger' 🙂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

FYI, I learned recently that those three lines are often referred to as 'the hamburger'. I was puzzled when advised to 'click on the Hamburger' 🙂

Also sometimes referred to as the “layer cake”

To the OP - when you say you rescheduled your original trip was that using a FCC from a voyage Princess cancelled or a cruise you cancelled and later rebooked?   If no FCC is involved, and you haven’t made final payment yet, then you would be in the cash refund zone ( minus any non- refundable deposit if yours was non-refundable).  

Your booking confirmation should provide information regarding when final payment is due and the penalty dates and percent of fare for cancellation. Your TA or Princess can also review your booking and let you know any penalties you will have relative to cancelling. 

Your cruise sails after the Book with Confidence period ends (April 30, 2022), so if you decide to cancel after final payment then standard penalties would apply unless Princess extends Book with Confidence. If you have Princess Vacation Protection that coverage provides “cancel for any reason” ( platinum level is 100% as a FCC).  Here is a link to Princess cancellation policy and FAQ.

https://www.princess.com/plan/standard-cancellation-refund-policy/

Our experience regarding our planned January 4 sailing on Grand:

On January 2 I spend a good part of the morning trying to connect with a chat rep.  Found a good one (Brigette), the connection was poor, at one point 20 minutes passed with no input from her, but I never gave up, just kept sending her "are you there messages" eventually her connection came back and we continued.    

I was offered 3 options.  Rebook protecting the original fare.  Accept an FCC for the entire fare.  Full refund in the original form (in our case this was a hefty FCC plus cash).

I wanted to do option 1 but it seemed like she was limited to same cruise, same cabin category.  We were in an aft suite, headed for Hawaii and she could find no availability on any upcoming sailing (I confirmed, couldn't find anything myself).  I ask if we could upgrade to a higher / more expensive suite paying the difference - and this was not possible.  So we moved on to other options.

Option 2 was not appealing as I already have 13 FCC's totaling many thousands of dollars, another one tying up still more cash was a no go.

Option 3 refund in original form was the best choice.  Here's the positive news.  The original FCC (by the way related to our prior sailing to Hawaii that landed us at Travis) was returned to my account and available for use within 24 hours.  The cash hasn't shown up yet but hopefully won't take the same 5.5 months it took at the start of the pandemic.

We moved on and made a new booking with the original FCC fingers crossed the cash shows up before final payment is due in June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelly97060 said:

To the OP - when you say you rescheduled your original trip was that using a FCC from a voyage Princess cancelled or a cruise you cancelled and later rebooked?   If no FCC is involved, and you haven’t made final payment yet, then you would be in the cash refund zone ( minus any non- refundable deposit if yours was non-refundable).  

Your booking confirmation should provide information regarding when final payment is due and the penalty dates and percent of fare for cancellation. Your TA or Princess can also review your booking and let you know any penalties you will have relative to cancelling. 

Your cruise sails after the Book with Confidence period ends (April 30, 2022), so if you decide to cancel after final payment then standard penalties would apply unless Princess extends Book with Confidence. If you have Princess Vacation Protection that coverage provides “cancel for any reason” ( platinum level is 100% as a FCC).  Here is a link to Princess cancellation policy and FAQ.

https://www.princess.com/plan/standard-cancellation-refund-policy/

Thank you for a very clear answer!

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Our experience regarding our planned January 4 sailing on Grand:

On January 2 I spend a good part of the morning trying to connect with a chat rep.

Your circumstance might have been due to the date. One poster showed a notice from Princess with special options at the beginning of Jan because customer service was closed.