Royal Cancelled Symphony Cruise, Offered NOTHING

I think anyone booking a cruise (or any travel right now) is taking a risk.  To answer your question, Royal doesn't care. They are really struggling right now and one customer no matter the status doesn't matter to them.  They canceled our cruise because they sold our ship (not due to Covid which is out of their control), gave us an FCC that expired before they started sailing that itinerary again. So there was no way we could have even booked that cruise on another ship. We lost $750. Very frustrating.  I know it's disappointing, but if I were you I wouldn't book anything else until Covid is a distant memory or until you are ok with having your plans ruined at the last minute. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

I think anyone booking a cruise (or any travel right now) is taking a risk.  To answer your question, Royal doesn't care. They are really struggling right now and one customer no matter the status doesn't matter to them.  They canceled our cruise because they sold our ship (not due to Covid which is out of their control), gave us an FCC that expired before they started sailing that itinerary again. So there was no way we could have even booked that cruise on another ship. We lost $750. Very frustrating.  I know it's disappointing, but if I were you I wouldn't book anything else until Covid is a distant memory or until you are ok with having your plans ruined at the last minute. 

I would just add that when the option exists I would go for a refund over an FCC that has to be used on their terms. Money in my bank account gets to be used on my terms

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

So which is it?  Are they offering "NOTHING", or are they giving you the certificate/money back?

I am almost convinced the OP is from “dealer services” I think he has been calling me every other day to tell me my car warranty has run out.

25 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

So which is it?  Are they offering "NOTHING", or are they giving you the certificate/money back?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I would just add that when the option exists I would go for a refund over an FCC that has to be used on their terms. Money in my bank account gets to be used on my terms

Agree, with this situation they have Choice getting Cash back rather then reissue FCC. A plus

1 hour ago, travelinmoma said:

They canceled our cruise because they sold our ship (not due to Covid which is out of their control), gave us an FCC that expired before they started sailing that itinerary again. So there was no way we could have even booked that cruise on another ship. We lost $750.

couldn't you book some other cruise rather than lose $750? Anything else? I'd rather cruise an itinerary we've sailed many times before than lose $750.

• Like 3

We were on January 22 that was canceled as well. We are re-booking on Oasis for January 30 as we have plenty of FCC. I understand it's hard to shell out more money to quickly cruise. I do wish and honestly would have thought that RCI would've had a way in place by now for us to quickly take those FCC and roll them to another cruise without the delay. Even if a third party is controlling it, it looks like they could come up with a  new system.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, twinmom22197 said:

We were on January 22 that was canceled as well. We are re-booking on Oasis for January 30 as we have plenty of FCC. I understand it's hard to shell out more money to quickly cruise. I do wish and honestly would have thought that RCI would've had a way in place by now for us to quickly take those FCC and roll them to another cruise without the delay. Even if a third party is controlling it, it looks like they could come up with a  new system.  

When I canceled my flights on American Airlines last Friday, the credit showed up in my account instantly. The problem with Royal is that these FCCs apparently require human intervention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

zero sympathy?

Gosh darn it, a bit of sympathy for fellow humans would be nice. Especially, since you are in the same situation.

This whole thread has made me a bit sad with the utter lack of empathy and respect for your fellow humans by most of the replies. 

Sure, the OP got her C&A level wrong but geez folks, glad that none of you have ever made a mistake smh. 

Although I am sure that he/she was offered something (full refund and/or FCC), there is NOTHING being offered that can be used right now as far as a refund or FCC.  So unless this person a) has the ability to wait or b) has the means to come out of pocket to pay for a new cruise before getting the refund or FCC then they are stuck without a cruise and any money that has been spent that is unable to be recouped.

Just have some compassion people and be kind to others that have been affected by things out of their control whether you completely agree with them or not.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

This whole thread has made me a bit sad with the utter lack of empathy and respect for your fellow humans by most of the replies. 

Sure, the OP got her C&A level wrong but geez folks, glad that none of you have ever made a mistake smh. 

Although I am sure that he/she was offered something (full refund and/or FCC), there is NOTHING being offered that can be used right now as far as a refund or FCC.  So unless this person a) has the ability to wait or b) has the means to come out of pocket to pay for a new cruise before getting the refund or FCC then they are stuck without a cruise and any money that has been spent that is unable to be recouped.

Just have some compassion people and be kind to others that have been affected by things out of their control whether you completely agree with them or not.

I think part of the problem is the attention-grabbing and misleading title of the thread.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

My issue with the OP is (s)he sounds like since they are "Diamond Platinum" (which I agree is just a mistake, but I think it's humorous) they should be entitled to more than some lowly Gold (or heaven forbid, NEW) cruiser. 

And the title is flat out wrong.  They can get their money back, therefore, by definition IS "something".   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

My issue with the OP is (s)he sounds like since they are "Diamond Platinum" (which I agree is just a mistake, but I think it's humorous) they should be entitled to more than some lowly Gold (or heaven forbid, NEW) cruiser. 

And the title is flat out wrong.  They can get their money back, therefore, by definition IS "something".   

I thought the diamond platinum comment was just an autocorrect issue until I saw them say it two or three more times.  They were offered a full refund or a FCC, far from nothing.  Lots of temper tantrum posts going around today.  The Royal Up posts are just as bad.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I thought the diamond platinum comment was just an autocorrect issue until I saw them say it two or three more times.  They were offered a full refund or a FCC, far from nothing.  Lots of temper tantrum posts going around today.  The Royal Up posts are just as bad.

At least the OP got 2 weeks notice. I got 24 hours notice.

When your money is tied up the frustration is real. I feel the OP's pain. Picking on someone isn't helpful here. Let them vent.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

When your money is tied up the frustration is real. I feel the OP's pain. Picking on someone isn't helpful here. Let them vent.

I am not picking on anyone.  They were not offered nothing, they were just not offered exactly what they wanted.  Many of us are frustrated because we have money that has been tied up for years now in FCC that we might never get to use, that doesn't mean we can make things up.  I would take the full refund in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

We are new to Royal-first cruise is 1/29 on Symphony-hopefully. Last week when they cancelled the cruises leading up to ours it made us pause and ask questions.

We have a vacation budget-we pay in cash, not on a credit card. Yes, we have cards, but use those sparingly and in emergency only situations. Booking a new cruise wouldn't count as an emergency to us.  So if they cancel our cruise, we would just be out of luck if they couldn't move it to another sailing.

I agree that the title is misleading, but I get what they are saying. It really does seem like bad customer service.

We have sailed with NCL numerous times, changing cruises that we have deposits on is not an issue. Is it not the same way with Royal? Asking because I'm learning as I go and could very possibly be in this situation in the not too distant future.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

I know what a Platinum Member recieves and a Diamond Member receives. But where does that leave Emerald? 

Are you asking about Emerald or Emerald Titanium?

Please make an effort to be more clear in the future. It's for everyone's benefit, really. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

When I canceled my flights on American Airlines last Friday, the credit showed up in my account instantly. The problem with Royal is that these FCCs apparently require human intervention.

With the Airlines its a straight credit. With the cruise line they have people paying with FCC's that are 25% more in value than a regular FCC and some probably have a few FCC's stacked from other cancellations plus factor in expiration dates and you have a mess to sort through.

Not unreasonable for the OP to be upset. Royal did leave him hanging with a week off from work and now no way to book anything else at this point. Royal is just doing what they can though. These cancellations will cost them dearly. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I certainly understand the frustration of money being tied up but why on earth would someone want to book another cruise on the same line for the same week?  That' just asking for trouble.  Diamond Platinum needs to wake up take the cash and move on.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, travelinmoma said:

I know it's disappointing, but if I were you I wouldn't book anything else until Covid is a distant memory or until you are ok with having your plans ruined at the last minute. 

Exactly. We cancelled our March cruise and just booked an all inclusive within driving distance of home. No it will not be as great as a cruise, but it is much more likely to happen.