Is it worth it?

FiremedicMike151

58 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I would not mind at all, it provides an opportunity to ask some very pointed questions... LOL

Like, what would you consider your failures to be over your career? or Who helped you get to where you believe you are now? or My question was this not the diversion you chose to take... LOL

That would get them moving from my orbit right away... and run when they see me out and about. Talking about a 'no-spin' zone...

Then turn to interact with those whom I deem worthy of dining with... and they with me. Subjective for sure... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

A few years ago my husband and I did a winery tour in Montalcino, Italy.  We had a private driver/guide but at the end of the tour it included a delicious Italian lunch.  There was another group of two couples who asked if we wanted to sit with them, reluctantly we said yes.  Anyway, all introduced ourselves, where from etc. then one of the guys said to me, did you say he is your husband?  I said well yes that is what I just said.  The response was, you have got to be kidding are you sure he is not your son, guffaw guffaw guffaw from his traveling companions.  Now my husband is just a "tad" younger then me 🥰 but he is also 100% Chinese and I am 100% American.  As much as I wanted to unload on the guy, out of respect for my husband I simply said well I guess ignorance has no borders.  It was then a very quiet lunch, but hey we took home some amazing Brunello.  Moral of the story, even when I travel alone, I always sit by myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wish I had the ability to come back with something to shut someone like that down, but instead I just wait it out - and get out as soon as possible.

Tom

I agree.  Like you, I usually let them ramble on and gracefully exit from their presence as soon as possible.

Been a few years ago, and on an NCL cruise, in the Haven Bar, there was a guy who made it a point on they first day of the cruise who loudly claimed to everyone how the mixologists better "take good care of him" because he was a millionaire and that their "good tip" was riding on if they came up to his standards.

He was taken aback when a couple of us got up and left at this proclamation...even leaving full drinks.  Whenever we saw him sitting at the bar, we would meander away.  Usually, he was sitting by himself.

The Staff had to put up with him.  We did not, however.

Last day of the cruise, I was discreetly handing out envelopes to the wait staff for the Bar, Restaurant and the concierges for their good service.  This guy was once again sitting at the bar, making sure people saw him dolling out dollars to the staff from a fist full of bills.

Not sure how good of a time this guy had on the cruise, as he was avoided like he was a leper.

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's been our policy for at least the last 10-15 years. At events such as Chef's Tables and such (or special meals like I mentioned), it's unavoidable if you care to experience what's offered. BTW, we've had a couple of Chef's Table meals that were similarly uncomfortable. Thus, we'll rarely take that leap nowadays. We did, however, make an exception for a Chef's Table on the Mardi Gras over Thanksgiving, when Emeril was the guest chef!

Tom

Interestingly, the best meal I've had in any restaurant, land based or ship based was the Chef's Table on the Carnival Vista.  Even those we dined with were a pleasure to be around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

There, pre-pandemic, were lots of live music around the ship...

Not sure about now, maybe someone who has been or is on a sailing now will chime in on this.

bon voyage

There was plenty of live music on Summit and Millennium, even though passenger counts were very low (450, 270, and 900). Sometimes they weren't playing to anyone but me and bartenders, and there was one time I walked into a lounge where they were playing only to the bartender (until I sat down). They were playing, though!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

There was plenty of live music on Summit and Millennium, even though passenger counts were very low (450, 270, and 900). Sometimes they weren't playing to anyone but me and bartenders, and there was one time I walked into a lounge where they were playing only to the bartender (until I sat down). They were playing, though!

Same with me, especially on the first leg of my B2B. Many times I was the only one in the lounge besides the crew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being 55 now, I am still quick witted and more willing to turn down my edit mode when I am around a$$ hats. I used to bite my tongue, but now I will throw out comments that they often don't get right away because they are still going through their laundry list of so called accomplishments. The rest of the group will get it and start laughing at them. Some get it, and some don't. Last I checked, we don't need to put up with their selfishness.

The world is full of FIP's = Formally Important People. Some were, some live in an alternative reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Exactly why we will not sit at a table with people we do not know.

We always get a table for 2-- learned our lesson " years " ago !!!!

From reading your posts, I'd sit with you anytime-- 

I'll bet you are not that guy from the Lawn Grill and Murano I've referred to a few times--

Big loud mouth -- wearing a large cowboy hat, including during dinner -- etc.

I'll also bet you are not that " old f--t " with a 32 yr old that I " still " think about-- ( Talk about luck ) !!

Someone on CC said she was probably his granddaughter , but, didn't know her name .

Pinboy says--- No way -- there ain't no granddaughter nowhere that would kiss their grandfather like that, and besides, she laughed at everything he said.

Edited by Pinboy
Forgot a point
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I lied, one more question.

With Carnival, there's zero point in booking through a travel agent.. Is there any advantage to doing so with Celebrity 

Extra OBC, and usually refundable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

We always get a table for 2-- learned our lesson " years " ago !!!!

From reading your posts, I'd sit with you anytime-- 

I'll bet you are not that guy from the Lawn Grill and Murano I've referred to a few times--

Big loud mouth -- wearing a large cowboy hat, including during dinner -- etc.

I'll also bet you are not that " old f--t " with a 32 yr old that I " still " think about-- ( Talk about luck ) !!

Someone on CC said she was probably his granddaughter , but, didn't know her name .

Pinboy says--- No way -- there ain't no granddaughter nowhere that would kiss their grandfather like that, and besides, she laughed at everything he said.

Pinboy, did I see that you may be on a leg or two of the 52 day EDGE cruise in late 2023?  

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm sure glad we're friends.

I def recall seeing that you are on a few legs of the 52 day EDGE cruise, hope I am correct?  If you are, it would be my pleasure to meet with and a definite possibly, maybe invite to share a table for dinner.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

I def recall seeing that you are on a few legs of the 52 day EDGE cruise, hope I am correct?  If you are, it would be my pleasure to meet with and a definite possibly, maybe invite to share a table for dinner.  

Nothing like hedging ones bet... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

2 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Tried to PM you for more info, but it's disabled 😞

I am happy to enable it, if someone can tell me how?  LOL, low tech guy here.  Can give you my personal email there as well.

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Yep, we are on the first two legs of the Edge repositioning trip.  Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet.

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Pinboy, did I see that you may be on a leg or two of the 52 day EDGE cruise in late 2023?  

No--- If I were on a ship for 52 days I sure would be on " edge "  -- 

How many shrimp cocktails, filet mignon , lamb chops, crème brule , could a guy eat ??

Wait a minute--- it doesn't sound so bad. 

• Haha 2

Sorry, I haven't gone through all the suggestions...but you might keep an eye out for one of their 'sail only' prices...which excludes gratuities.. drink package and wifi. But then you will have to pay for sodas, specialty water, and any alcohol. We survived for years consuming iced tea, coffee and punch type drinks at the buffet... Of course now that we have sampled the AI ... well it is all I can do to hold DH back from going full premium to get his McCallum....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

No--- If I were on a ship for 52 days I sure would be on " edge "  -- 

How many shrimp cocktails, filet mignon , lamb chops, crème brule , could a guy eat ??

Wait a minute--- it doesn't sound so bad. 

But it is being sold in four different legs, 12-14 days for each.  

I have never sailed Carnival...but I have sailed Royal....I say Celebrity is worth more than Royal to me.  Especially if young family members aren't sailing.  Different strokes.  

I've been on NCL and MSC.  More of a Royal vibe.  

Celebrity's differences are hard to put an exact finger on, but it feels nicer.  No towel dance comes to mind around the pools...you find towels already out in the morning, and there are carts of clean towels around when you need more, no cards to flash, etc...pick up 4 if you want.  Just one example.  

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wish I had the ability to come back with something to shut someone like that down, but instead I just wait it out - and get out as soon as possible.

Tom

Just say:  "The Jerk Store called and they're runnin' out of you!"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

No towel dance comes to mind around the pools...you find towels already out in the morning, and there are carts of clean towels around when you need more, no cards to flash, etc...pick up 4 if you want.  Just one example.  

That's something that not mentioned here on CC often (I didn't say EVER) enough and definately one clear distinction to some of the other mass market cruiselines.