Galveston Terminal and Adventure of the Seas?

TxWendy

Anyone just returning from Adventure of the Seas? We are sailing January 21 2022 and have many questions?

TERMINAL:

Can anyone tell me what to expect when we get to the Terminal. Do we need to go to a special area. We have a check in for 11:30. 

We are staying in a suite does the terminal still have a special area for suite guests before boarding?

SHIP:

Can anyone give us updates for Adventure of the seas? Shows other entertainment etc.

Is it worth getting off the ship and what is the protocol for getting back on after visiting the ports?

I read somewhere we need to make a reservation to eat in the windjammer. Is this true?

TYIA 🙂

Boarding at terminal 2 has been smooth and easy. Suites on my cruises were allowed to cut to the front of the line. Later on they may have set up separate lines but I boarded the first time slot allowed.

We all went upstairs, suites and hc were boarding. Then within 5 minutes or so the rest of us were called. The difference in time wasnt significant. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TxWendy said:

Anyone just returning from Adventure of the Seas? We are sailing January 21 2022 and have many questions?

TERMINAL:

Can anyone tell me what to expect when we get to the Terminal. Do we need to go to a special area. We have a check in for 11:30. 

We are staying in a suite does the terminal still have a special area for suite guests before boarding?

SHIP:

Can anyone give us updates for Adventure of the seas? Shows other entertainment etc.

Is it worth getting off the ship and what is the protocol for getting back on after visiting the ports?

I read somewhere we need to make a reservation to eat in the windjammer. Is this true?

TYIA 🙂

easy to board.  Just have your Royal App ready with the bar code (or your paperwork if you don't want to use your phone).  Have the passports and vaccine cards plus test results handy.  There is a place for suites to board.  Truthfully, you get an assigned time with checkin and you just go when indicated.  In Cozumel, dont bring food off of ship.  They have dogs there sniffing bags.  They went into mine.  Mask to get on ship, mask to get off.  Keep checking protocols for your sailing.  You dont need any reservations for Windjammer.  Can't answer the question re getting off ship as I go for the ports not the ship and it would have to be a port with an earthquake occurring that would prevent me from getting off.

49 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Look at the current sailing on the app - it should list what's available.

Thank you! I did look at the app and it's not giving any information on what shows will be on my cruise at this time. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Boarding at terminal 2 has been smooth and easy. Suites on my cruises were allowed to cut to the front of the line. Later on they may have set up separate lines but I boarded the first time slot allowed.

We all went upstairs, suites and hc were boarding. Then within 5 minutes or so the rest of us were called. The difference in time wasnt significant. 

Thank you!!

51 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

easy to board.  Just have your Royal App ready with the bar code (or your paperwork if you don't want to use your phone).  Have the passports and vaccine cards plus test results handy.  There is a place for suites to board.  Truthfully, you get an assigned time with checkin and you just go when indicated.  In Cozumel, dont bring food off of ship.  They have dogs there sniffing bags.  They went into mine.  Mask to get on ship, mask to get off.  Keep checking protocols for your sailing.  You dont need any reservations for Windjammer.  Can't answer the question re getting off ship as I go for the ports not the ship and it would have to be a port with an earthquake occurring that would prevent me from getting off.

Loved this 🙂 Thank you also for the great information!!

• Haha 1

They check at the terminal entrance to see if you are in the current time slot to check in.  Masks are required while in the terminal and boarding the ship.  We found it easier to have a printed copy of the boarding pass and COVID test results.  Before going through the scanner line they checked our COVID test results and used a highlighter since we had a printed copy.  We also had it on our phone from CVS.  Once through the scanners we went straight to a waiting agent to check in who checked our passports etc and then gave us a cloth armband to wear since we were vaxed.  We then walked onto the ship.  

Nice feature was when we exited the ship and into the terminal.  They now have face recognition kiosks for those who have passports.  Stand in front of the camera to be recognized and then out the door of the terminal.  Took maybe a few minutes in all from entering the terminal to leaving the terminal for our cars.  Very very nice!  

The Adventure is in Galveston today. 

1 hour ago, TxWendy said:

I did look at the app and it's not giving any information on what shows will be on my cruise at this time. 

Welcome to the new normal in the COVID era, where RCI likes to keep folks in suspense and not show what might be available on their sailing in the future.

5 hours ago, TxWendy said:

TERMINAL:

SHIP:

TYIA 🙂

Just got off Adventure this morning.  The terminal is super easy now.  Have your vaccination record, test results, boarding pass (from the app) and passport handy.  Our check in was 11:30 also and everything was very well organized.  

Don’t know about suite boarding.

All of the shows that sounded interesting were cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances”.  Meaning there were too many performers who had to be quarantined or isolated.  The quarantine period is 7 days and since RC is swapping out crew with others from a quarantine ship who have completed the 7 days, it’s possible that replacement performers might not even know the show on their new ship.  And the crew members have no idea what ship they will be reassigned to.  

Getting off and on is exactly like it has always been except you have to wear a mask.  Cozumel and Costa Maya are fantastic ports, definitely worth getting off for.  Be advised that Costa Maya has a very long pier and even longer walk through the port shopping area to get to a taxi.  Cozumel is a hike too but not as far.  

I think the windjammer reservation buzz comes from the app that has a Reserve Now button.  I have a suspicion that, if the ship were closer to full, and given that only about half of the tables are open to allow distancing, they might take reservations.  I do know that they scanned our cards going in and coming out in an apparent attempt to keep an occupancy count.  Our sailing was at 1151 passengers and Adventure can hold upwards of 3500.  It was very empty.  So empty that we didn’t have to get on an elevator that was going up when we really wanted to go down.  Something that we had always done just because we didn’t want to stand in the hallway waiting on an elevator that wasn’t full and also was going in the direction we wanted to go.   

We had a great time.  Hope y’all do to.

• Like 1

Also got off Adventure of the Seas this morning. Because of greatly reduced passenger count, EVERYTHING was a breeze except guest services. Our reservation was so screwed up. We boarded at 11:30 but  didn’t get everything straitened out until 9:00 pm. They sold our balcony stateroom to another couple! We ended up with a Jr. suite for an additional $100. SO MANY folks canceled due to COVID concerns and they had a lot of people in the wrong staterooms on deck 8 alone. It was a mess!  Once it was all straightened out, we had a good time. Only other snag was all of the increasing daily entertainment cancelations. Not a whole lot to do but eat, drink, walk, repeat. The crew were so awesome❣️Delayed departure from Cozumel to swap out crew with Serenade of the Seas. Passengers were very respectful of COVID protocols. I really hope the crew remain healthy this season. Take extra masks. It was super gusty and they were flying off faces! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are on the 21st also.  Can't wait!   I think TxWendy was on the Escape out of Miami with us twice before!   Can't wait to get aboard.  I have been following Jordan who is a performer / skater on Adventure of the Seas.   She posts weekly blogs.  According to her video blog, they are changing the show up on a daily basis to try and keep it going even when members have Covid.  Changing up a show is tough and to do it over and over to try and give guests something is pretty impressive!    Looks like last week was the really tough week with 50% of the performers in quarantine.  Hopefully they are starting to come out of it and can get back to the regular shows.    You can watch her video blogs here:

On 1/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, satxdiver said:

They check at the terminal entrance to see if you are in the current time slot to check in.  Masks are required while in the terminal and boarding the ship.  We found it easier to have a printed copy of the boarding pass and COVID test results.  Before going through the scanner line they checked our COVID test results and used a highlighter since we had a printed copy.  We also had it on our phone from CVS.  Once through the scanners we went straight to a waiting agent to check in who checked our passports etc and then gave us a cloth armband to wear since we were vaxed.  We then walked onto the ship.  

Nice feature was when we exited the ship and into the terminal.  They now have face recognition kiosks for those who have passports.  Stand in front of the camera to be recognized and then out the door of the terminal.  Took maybe a few minutes in all from entering the terminal to leaving the terminal for our cars.  Very very nice!  

The Adventure is in Galveston today. 

Thank you for the great information! Sorry for the late reply.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:22 PM, jeepsrus said:

We are on the 21st also.  Can't wait!   I think TxWendy was on the Escape out of Miami with us twice before!   Can't wait to get aboard.  I have been following Jordan who is a performer / skater on Adventure of the Seas.   She posts weekly blogs.  According to her video blog, they are changing the show up on a daily basis to try and keep it going even when members have Covid.  Changing up a show is tough and to do it over and over to try and give guests something is pretty impressive!    Looks like last week was the really tough week with 50% of the performers in quarantine.  Hopefully they are starting to come out of it and can get back to the regular shows.    You can watch her video blogs here:

Thank you for the great information! I hope there will be some great shows to see. Sorry for the late reply.

On 1/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, Godiva5 said:

Also got off Adventure of the Seas this morning. Because of greatly reduced passenger count, EVERYTHING was a breeze except guest services. Our reservation was so screwed up. We boarded at 11:30 but  didn’t get everything straitened out until 9:00 pm. They sold our balcony stateroom to another couple! We ended up with a Jr. suite for an additional $100. SO MANY folks canceled due to COVID concerns and they had a lot of people in the wrong staterooms on deck 8 alone. It was a mess!  Once it was all straightened out, we had a good time. Only other snag was all of the increasing daily entertainment cancelations. Not a whole lot to do but eat, drink, walk, repeat. The crew were so awesome❣️Delayed departure from Cozumel to swap out crew with Serenade of the Seas. Passengers were very respectful of COVID protocols. I really hope the crew remain healthy this season. Take extra masks. It was super gusty and they were flying off faces! 😉

Wow,  you had to pay $100 more to get a Jr. suite. They should have given that to you. It was their fault in the first place for giving your room away to someone else. I'm glad you ending up still having a good time. Thank you for the great information! Sorry for the late reply.

• Like 1

We just got off Liberty in Galveston this morning. The terminal was no trouble at all. They were lining folks up according to arrival time, but there was no signage. We just had to ask someone where to go. 

They didn't open the terminal doors until 11, but we could drop our bags with the porters before that. We got to the terminal about 10:45 or even a little after, and there really wasn't any reason to get there much earlier. Our scheduled time was 11:30, and we also were in a suite. 

They didn't start boarding until 11:30, and we were waiting upstairs by the time that started. They boarded suites and key first, but there wasn't priority check-in. Frankly, it wouldn't have made much of a difference with the low passenger count. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

We just got off Liberty in Galveston this morning. The terminal was no trouble at all. They were lining folks up according to arrival time, but there was no signage. We just had to ask someone where to go. 

They didn't open the terminal doors until 11, but we could drop our bags with the porters before that. We got to the terminal about 10:45 or even a little after, and there really wasn't any reason to get there much earlier. Our scheduled time was 11:30, and we also were in a suite. 

They didn't start boarding until 11:30, and we were waiting upstairs by the time that started. They boarded suites and key first, but there wasn't priority check-in. Frankly, it wouldn't have made much of a difference with the low passenger count. 

Thank you.

On 1/12/2022 at 3:06 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Just got off Adventure this morning.  The terminal is super easy now.  Have your vaccination record, test results, boarding pass (from the app) and passport handy.  Our check in was 11:30 also and everything was very well organized.  

Don’t know about suite boarding.

All of the shows that sounded interesting were cancelled due to “unforeseen circumstances”.  Meaning there were too many performers who had to be quarantined or isolated.  The quarantine period is 7 days and since RC is swapping out crew with others from a quarantine ship who have completed the 7 days, it’s possible that replacement performers might not even know the show on their new ship.  And the crew members have no idea what ship they will be reassigned to.  

Getting off and on is exactly like it has always been except you have to wear a mask.  Cozumel and Costa Maya are fantastic ports, definitely worth getting off for.  Be advised that Costa Maya has a very long pier and even longer walk through the port shopping area to get to a taxi.  Cozumel is a hike too but not as far.  

I think the windjammer reservation buzz comes from the app that has a Reserve Now button.  I have a suspicion that, if the ship were closer to full, and given that only about half of the tables are open to allow distancing, they might take reservations.  I do know that they scanned our cards going in and coming out in an apparent attempt to keep an occupancy count.  Our sailing was at 1151 passengers and Adventure can hold upwards of 3500.  It was very empty.  So empty that we didn’t have to get on an elevator that was going up when we really wanted to go down.  Something that we had always done just because we didn’t want to stand in the hallway waiting on an elevator that wasn’t full and also was going in the direction we wanted to go.   

We had a great time.  Hope y’all do to.

We are scheduled to do this itinerary in February but departure time from Galveston is now later. We will arrive later in Costa Maya and therefore port stop will be shorter. 

Did the ship stay on CST? Are the scheduled port times local time or ship time?

Edited by c-leg5

17 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We are scheduled to do this itinerary in February but departure time from Galveston is now later. We will arrive later in Costa Maya and therefore port stop will be shorter. 

The ship stayed on Galveston time and they told us to stay on ship time while at the ports.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Scheduled port times are ALWAYS ship time.

FWIW, Liberty stayed on CST the whole time last week. 

1 hour ago, galfromkazoo said:

The ship stayed on Galveston time and they told us to stay on ship time while at the ports.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

Scheduled port times are ALWAYS ship time.

FWIW, Liberty stayed on CST the whole time last week. 

I know ship excursions are ship time but I have even been on ships where the same captain changed time one week and not the other. If the Captain changed ship time to local time one week that would mean in reality docking times would change for one week?

For this particular sailing I am more concerned with trying to determine when sunset is and when it will go dark when we are in Costa Maya, given our shortened stop.

Also sailing 21st as well as 26th (b2b).  Just got my negative ID NOW results go good to go. 

Are the drink stations self served or still staffed?  Not liking idea of employee touching 100s of cups then touching yours at the sofa machines.