Riveria Cabin 7115

reps23

We are booked on the transatlantic crossing set to sail March 18 on the Riveria, Miami to Barcelona.  As of now we are in cabin 7092 portside and thinking of moving to 7115 starboard side  

Has anyone stayed in these cabins and what's your opinion..

Is it better to be on the portside or starboard side of the ship?

Appreciate any feedback.

Phyllis

I haven’t been aboard the Riviera so can’t answer your specific question.  However, on a west-to-east trans-Atlantic cruise, the starboard side will generally face south, and get more direct sunlight than the port side.  

Edited by navelgunner
  • Like 2

7115  is an extended balcony  so if weather is good you may use the balcony more often 

I think either cabin would be fine

cannot help with what side  to get as we had bad weather on our crossing so no one was outside

• Like 1

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I am going to have my travel agent try to change our cabin to 7115.  Oceania was closed today. Now 7008 is available and that has a really big balcony but it is way forward and I’m afraid may be too windy.

phyllis

15 minutes ago, reps23 said:

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I am going to have my travel agent try to change our cabin to 7115.  Oceania was closed today. Now 7008 is available and that has a really big balcony but it is way forward and I’m afraid may be too windy.

phyllis

We're on the same sailing but to Lisbon. Have stayed in 7009 starboard side and loved it. But then we use the balcony a lot, even on transAtlantics and never mind the wind. All dependent on the weather of course. And if it's windy, you can always sit closer to the door rather than the railing. I say go for 7008 if you spend a lot of time on the balcony. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigmjh said:

If you are at all prone to motion sickness 🤢 ... the staterooms towards the rear will be more stable than those towards the front - best ones are midship. In this case 7115 would be the better choice.

Agree...somewhat...however, again, it's weather related isn't it? Until we had 7009, we'd always had aft cabins (way aft), primarily because we just feel it's more private and quieter back there...(at least it used to be before the secret got out.) We had no motion problems in 7009. But it was the Caribbean. This will be our 5th transAtlantic and have been very lucky with the weather. Hoping for same on this one...although we never mind a little ocean motion. ☺️ If you think you'll use your balcony, regardless of less than ideal weather and prefer a larger one, I still say go with 7008. JMO.

6 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

Agree...somewhat...however, again, it's weather related isn't it? Until we had 7009, we'd always had aft cabins (way aft), primarily because we just feel it's more private and quieter back there...(at least it used to be before the secret got out.) We had no motion problems in 7009. But it was the Caribbean. This will be our 5th transAtlantic and have been very lucky with the weather. Hoping for same on this one...although we never mind a little ocean motion. ☺️ If you think you'll use your balcony, regardless of less than ideal weather and prefer a larger one, I still say go with 7008. JMO.

There are aft balconies there are as large as the one you mentioned, and many more of them. I'm not sure why you think 7008 is better than them if someone is worried about the motion. 

• Like 1

Just now, tropicalkerry2002 said:

7008 is my fave. Because of its cutaway balcony, you can look straight out and aft while seated, and because of the barrier from the balcony closer to the front, it isn't windy, unless you are stand-in at or near the railing.

Exactly. There are only 4 larger, angled, B3 balconies...7008, 7009, 7108, 7111. They are larger than the regular extended balconies on deck 7 aft. Many CC discussions with photos if you do a search. And if you just look at the deck plan, you can see the difference.

We were recently on Riviera in 8131, which is just a little aft of 7115 on the starboard side.  I will say there was what I considered to be a tremendous amount of vibration from the engines at that location, enough that I would never consider booking that far aft in the future.  Possibly 7115 is far enough forward to reduce that, but it is something to consider.  I noticed that judder in Main Dining when seated at that starboard aft location and also all the way up on 12 in Waves, so I don't think it is deck-specific.

2 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

We were recently on Riviera in 8131, which is just a little aft of 7115 on the starboard side.  I will say there was what I considered to be a tremendous amount of vibration from the engines at that location, enough that I would never consider booking that far aft in the future.  Possibly 7115 is far enough forward to reduce that, but it is something to consider.  I noticed that judder in Main Dining when seated at that starboard aft location and also all the way up on 12 in Waves, so I don't think it is deck-specific.

My very first O cruise was in 10031 and there was a shudder like motion on a regular basis which made me think I would never again go in a forward cabin. Since then, because of upsells I have had cabins way forward and arriving and departing is almost silent. 2 of them were Caribbean and one was in the Med and motion was never an issue. 

I do love those back 4 penthouses but there is no question you will know when you are arriving or departing a port

I would be happy with either 7115 or 7008.  If using your balcony a lot, 7008 would allow you more view than 7115 which is tunnel like.

17 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

My very first O cruise was in 10031 and there was a shudder like motion on a regular basis which made me think I would never again go in a forward cabin. Since then, because of upsells I have had cabins way forward and arriving and departing is almost silent. 2 of them were Caribbean and one was in the Med and motion was never an issue. 

I do love those back 4 penthouses but there is no question you will know when you are arriving or departing a port

I would be happy with either 7115 or 7008.  If using your balcony a lot, 7008 would allow you more view than 7115 which is tunnel like.

If it was just arrival/departure that would not be a problem - this was a constant anytime we were underway at full speed.  On the adjusted sea days where we were skipping ports and we were moving at a slower speed, it was not really noticeable, but on normal sea days and overnight it was a real problem for me.  This was like running a jackhammer - I found if I kept my head off of the headboard it was (barely) tolerable, but if I was actually touching the headboard it would literally rattle my teeth.

I became quite proficient at making sure none of the glassware was actually touching the walls when on their shelves and putting a shim between the closet doors to keep that from rattling full time.  I never bothered reporting any of that to the staff since I didn't think the captain was going to slow the boat on my account 🙂

39 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

The vibration is everywhere   we also found it on the pool deck when entering/leaving ports  or running full speed

2 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

If it was just arrival/departure that would not be a problem - this was a constant anytime we were underway at full speed.  On the adjusted sea days where we were skipping ports and we were moving at a slower speed, it was not really noticeable, but on normal sea days and overnight it was a real problem for me.  This was like running a jackhammer - I found if I kept my head off of the headboard it was (barely) tolerable, but if I was actually touching the headboard it would literally rattle my teeth.

I became quite proficient at making sure none of the glassware was actually touching the walls when on their shelves and putting a shim between the closet doors to keep that from rattling full time.  I never bothered reporting any of that to the staff since I didn't think the captain was going to slow the boat on my account 🙂

I believe you.  It was that way on our first cruise in 10031.  It drove my travel partner nuts and kept her awake at night. .  It annoyed me but I could sleep through it at night .

So I am not the only one sensitive to these aft vibrations. It is the reason I will not book any cabin aft of the rear elevators and also why I refuse seating in those coveted aft window tables in the Grand Dining Room. Spouse is not at all sensitive to this but has learned never to sit down in the GDR until I approve the table assigned. (I request tables in the first half toward mid ships of the GDR but occasionally seating assignment mistakes do occur.)

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

So I am not the only one sensitive to these aft vibrations. It is the reason I will not book any cabin aft of the rear elevators and also why I refuse seating in those coveted aft window tables in the Grand Dining Room. Spouse is not at all sensitive to this but has learned never to sit down in the GDR until I approve the table assigned. (I request tables in the first half toward mid ships of the GDR but occasionally seating assignment mistakes do occur.)

My worst shuddering experience was in 10031 which is a forward cabin.  The aft vibrations are usually just on arriving and departing ports. They also tend to rock a bit more but I love that when I'm going to sleep.