Upgrading to streaming internet. Is it necessary?

Ken the cruiser

1 minute ago, hallux said:

It's pretty difficult to mistakenly use the free minutes, you have to activate it and do a login sequence to use the minutes.

Since some don't believe us, I did the forum search for you so I could find a thread on it, here's another recent discussion on this - 

That's great, but then I'm surprised at why people (especially doing "Live From" threads) have posted issues with sharing photos, etc.?

I'm also surprised that since it's free that more people don't do "Live From" from threads!  It would be great to see people streaming live since there's no cost!

Onboard "free" WiFi access to CC did work for me a while back (2019) at sea, without using our airtime minutes or MB allowance, but I was pretty certain it was cached and bandwidth restricted ... or, throttled - since, all the data traffic (inTRAnet and inTERnet data) were relayed thru the ship's onboard servers - CC's text-based info was fine, but anything with graphics or video contents were sluggish or not showing up at all, taking a long time to upload and/or download - not helped by the ultra high latency, as in 500 or 600 ms in ping time vs. under 50 ms for cable internet or under 10 ms for FiOS (our 300/300 Mbps at 3 or 4 ms) 

That help explain why folks find it frustrating and nearly impossible to post contents with graphics, photos or video clips, etc.   Access is free, sure, but usability isn't assured and speed with NCL's high-orbit hybrid satellite band system, remained unaddressed - it doesn't help when their satellite partner filed for bankruptcy, collaterally hurt by this global pandemic. 

I prefer to use our 4G/LTE "roaming" signals when possible via shore towers ... and can't wait to use 5G, when available.  Think NCL's WiFi as being 3G ... it's like having multiple users sharing T2 lines these days, quite impressive 15 or 20 years ago ... great then, not now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I'm also surprised that since it's free that more people don't do "Live From" from threads!  It would be great to see people streaming live since there's no cost!

I'm guessing it's because most want to turn off their devices and just enjoy their cruises.  😎

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

on all of my previous cruises, this site barely worked for me. The page will never load or it will take forever to load. It was like dailup slow. Even logging in and using some of my internet minutes, it did not help make the page load faster

• Like 2

Based on recent experience, both the NCL and the CC sites are available without using your wifi package.  I do recall some issues using one or both sites "offline" but hard to say how much of it was just general speed issues and/or issues with my device.  It did seem like I had issues getting/staying logged into CC while not connected but if I used my wifi account and logged-in, I was able to continue on CC even after disconnecting.  But this was on a cruise where wifi (and TV for that matter) wasn't stable for a good part of the cruise.

I’d imagine it is a combination of reasons.

I don’t think it does work all that well, Personally I have rarely tried it as we get a package anyway, but this isn’t the first time I’ve seen reports of it not being good.

However, I also doubt that people, on finding that they have access to Cruise Critic will suddenly decide to do a live report. It is something you generally decide to do in advance, in which case you will probably have a plan. You can’t rely on it even being available, let alone any good.

I doubt whether the free CC access gets used very much at all.

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen much information on *what* kind of streaming NCL blocks...just major streaming sites...or ALL video streams?  

Reason why I'm asking is we have a video camera that will monitor our cats while we are away...haha.  It does send "video".  However,  I'm not sure NCL would catch this instance...since it is very low bandwidth, etc... Any ideas?

Edit : I think I found my own answer...from NCL's site :

Premium Internet "The package also gives you streaming options via YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Audible, Hulu, Tik Tok etc."  

So It seems the "streaming" internet only blocks specific sites.  Therefore, I think our "cat cam" will work.  👍

Edited by farmecologist
Add info
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, pcakes122 said:

That's great, but then I'm surprised at why people (especially doing "Live From" threads) have posted issues with sharing photos, etc.?

So,,, you cruise enough to know that the current satellite Wi-Fi is painfully slow. Hopefully it will be infinitely better with Starlink. 

When I am running a live post, I spend 3-4 hours a day working on it. Partly because I really don’t want to take the time out of my day to download photos to my laptop and pre process them. So, I am loading raw photos to CC which can take a 30+ seconds per photo on a slow sea day. 

And partly because I am researching questions being posed “How much would a venti caramel macchiato cost?”

• Like 1

So when we cruise, we usually never use our Internet minutes except for maybe the last day to check in for our flight and make sure all is well there.

However, this cruise my brother is traveling with us and his kids are staying home with his ex-wife. He is going to want to call/contact them via Facebook (however that is done). I'm assuming that means we are going to need to upgrade to the streaming package?

And from what I've read here it might be best to do this on board since we can upgrade/get a discount using our Free at Sea Minutes and our Latitudes discount. We plan on paying for one device and putting it in my or my husband's name (since we are Platinum) and then just let him use our login.

Is this the best/most logical plan?

51 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

However, this cruise my brother is traveling with us and his kids are staying home with his ex-wife. He is going to want to call/contact them via Facebook (however that is done). I'm assuming that means we are going to need to upgrade to the streaming package?

Sounds like he wants to use FB messenger, you can message them like a text and also video chat.  Find out if he wants to just message them or video chat and how often he wants to.  He can text them using  Facebook messenger but can also do video chat using FB Messenger.  If he wants to video chat you would probably need the streaming package.

Depending on how many ports you are stopping at it could be cheaper to get an International phone plan added to his cell, it includes cell and data, added on his phone.  That way he could video chat with them while in port.  I know the AT&T package is $10 a day, only for days you use it.  I believe Verizon is the same amount.  I want to say the AT&T plan caps at $100 a month.  The International plan will not work onboard when at sea as an FYI.  It may be cheaper to add that onto his phone plan depending on how many days and when he plans on using it.  If it's an iPhone he can do Facetime, FB messenger or other video chat programs.  If another phone they can either video using FB messenger or other video chat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimsig said:

.  I know the AT&T package is $10 a day, only for days you use it.  I believe Verizon is the same amount.  I want to say the AT&T plan caps at $100 a month.  The International plan will not work onboard when at sea as an FYI. 

Yes, Verizon is also $10 for a 24 hour period. If on an unlimited plan then travel to Canada and Mexico is included. Other countries would need TravelPass activated. Background data can activate the 24 hour period and incur the charge, so that is something to be aware of when traveling. Some of the more expensive unlimited plans “earn” one travel day per month. I don’t know details on how long before they expire as I don’t have that plan.

coped from Verizon website:

“TravelPass

$10 /line per day.
Plus taxes and fees.

$5/line in Canada and Mexico. 

Roaming in Canada and Mexico is included with Start, Play, Do, Get and other Unlimited plans.

Get a TravelPass day on us every month on select Unlimited plans.“

Edited by PNWMomma
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimsig said:

Sounds like he wants to use FB messenger, you can message them like a text and also video chat.  Find out if he wants to just message them or video chat and how often he wants to.  He can text them using  Facebook messenger but can also do video chat using FB Messenger.  If he wants to video chat you would probably need the streaming package.

Depending on how many ports you are stopping at it could be cheaper to get an International phone plan added to his cell, it includes cell and data, added on his phone.  That way he could video chat with them while in port.  I know the AT&T package is $10 a day, only for days you use it.  I believe Verizon is the same amount.  I want to say the AT&T plan caps at $100 a month.  The International plan will not work onboard when at sea as an FYI.  It may be cheaper to add that onto his phone plan depending on how many days and when he plans on using it.  If it's an iPhone he can do Facetime, FB messenger or other video chat programs.  If another phone they can either video using FB messenger or other video chat

20 minutes ago, PNWMomma said:

Yes, Verizon is also $10 for a 24 hour period. If on an unlimited plan then travel to Canada and Mexico is included. Other countries would need TravelPass activated. Background data can activate the 24 hour period and incur the charge, so that is something to be aware of when traveling. Some of the more expensive unlimited plans “earn” one travel day per month. I don’t know details on how long before they expire as I don’t have that plan.

coped from Verizon website:

“TravelPass

$10 /line per day.
Plus taxes and fees.

$5/line in Canada and Mexico. 

Roaming in Canada and Mexico is included with Start, Play, Do, Get and other Unlimited plans.

Get a TravelPass day on us every month on select Unlimited plans.“

Thanks to both of you. I have a feeling he's going to want to video chat, but I will double check.

We all have Verizon and I know I will be checking our islands with cell availability and make sure our international plan is turned out. The only issue with him talking to the kids while in port is that they will be in school -- especially since we will be on Atlantic time and one of our port times is short -- from 6:00 am to 1:00 pm.

We will make it work, though. Thanks!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

Thanks to both of you. I have a feeling he's going to want to video chat, but I will double check.

We all have Verizon and I know I will be checking our islands with cell availability and make sure our international plan is turned out. The only issue with him talking to the kids while in port is that they will be in school -- especially since we will be on Atlantic time and one of our port times is short -- from 6:00 am to 1:00 pm.

We will make it work, though. Thanks!

Also AT&T has it so if you have more then one phone on your account it's only $5 a day per additional phone.  I'm sure Verizon has that as well.  if you plan on doing that make to to activate the additional phone(s) as well as they all need to be activated individually.   

9 hours ago, brookie848 said:

So when we cruise, we usually never use our Internet minutes except for maybe the last day to check in for our flight and make sure all is well there.

And from what I've read here it might be best to do this on board since we can upgrade/get a discount using our Free at Sea Minutes and our Latitudes discount. We plan on paying for one device and putting it in my or my husband's name (since we are Platinum) and then just let him use our login.

Is this the best/most logical plan?

If you upgrade to FAS+, you would get 2 unlimited Internet logins, the Premium drinks, Starbucks, and the excursion credit. You could give him one login and keep the other for yourself. 

Messaging children back home is why I would get Internet too.  Some people say they are able to have video chats on the unlimited plan, but they use apps that are not the big social media apps.  

As usual on our 4th post 2020 return to cruising, upgraded ours to basic unlimited WiFi - depending on a matrix of factors (as the end users) - I have no issues accessing my "live" security cam footage or playback clips via ship's connections.  My newest Google Pixel 7 Pro also get up to 6 to 7 Mbps d/l speed on 5 Ghz WiFi but much slower on 2.4 Ghz, whereas Samsung Galaxy S22+ just couldn't get anywhere near those speed.

YMMV

Waiting to see how Starlink will perform on NCL ship's this year.

Screenshot_20230128-225455.png

Screenshot_20230128-163921.png

I am just off the Bliss and had the Unlimited (non streaming) plan. A couple things that we experienced (your experience may differ).

Two of us had unlimited, two of us had no internet plan. All of us joined the WiFi network, but only the two of us signed into the internet.

ALL OF US we able to use Apple iMessage. Those without internet could send and receive iMessages including media. This worked both with people aboard and ashore. 

I was able to use AirDrop with devices that were not signed into the internet but had joined the network.

I was able to access CruiseCritic on an unregistered device, but I was never able to post from that device.

With the Unlimited Plan I was able to visit and post to CruiseCritic but I had to reduce the size of photos and files I was uploading in order to be successful. It was certainly slower, but it worked.

Some websites are not accessible. I'm not sure if this is a content, security, or other issue but some sites I use for my wife's business were not accessible. This could be that the security wasn't sufficient.

Streaming services are specifically blocked, but shorts on Instagram and Reddit worked for me.

I was able to have some FaceTime audio and video calls but my Calling over WiFi didn't work.

Oh, I forgot. One big issue we had with the internet.

Being on WiFi made our devices look like they were in Panama City. It also caused problems with our phones, and Apple Watches, keeping ship time. Add in the time change from LA to Cabo and it was a confusing five days.

It was so confusing, in fact, that our safety window for returning to the ship was shaved down to an uncomfortable level. A stupid simple Casio watch may be a nice edition to the packing list.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drwbrt said:

Oh, I forgot. One big issue we had with the internet.

Being on WiFi made our devices look like they were in Panama City. It also caused problems with our phones, and Apple Watches, keeping ship time. Add in the time change from LA to Cabo and it was a confusing five days.

It was so confusing, in fact, that our safety window for returning to the ship was shaved down to an uncomfortable level. A stupid simple Casio watch may be a nice edition to the packing list.

definitely bring a not-smart watch with you, this is particularly key if your ship master decides to not match port time (rarely an issue on NCL but does happen).

I found the quickest way to convince my smartwatch to update to local time was to tell it I was going for a jog as soon as I got outdoors so it would hunt for the nearest GPS signals. My previous fitness tracker could only have the time changed when connected to a laptop or desktop but that was a first generation garmin. My current one is a lot smarter and I can load a time-zone add on to it in addition to getting it to figure out the local time itself.

I have a baby-g that I got almost 20 years ago that I always dust off and bring for travel, particularly as I'm usually transiting multiple time zones when flying. 

58 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

definitely bring a not-smart watch with you, this is particularly key if your ship master decides to not match port time (rarely an issue on NCL but does happen).

I found the quickest way to convince my smartwatch to update to local time was to tell it I was going for a jog as soon as I got outdoors so it would hunt for the nearest GPS signals. My previous fitness tracker could only have the time changed when connected to a laptop or desktop but that was a first generation garmin. My current one is a lot smarter and I can load a time-zone add on to it in addition to getting it to figure out the local time itself.

I have a baby-g that I got almost 20 years ago that I always dust off and bring for travel, particularly as I'm usually transiting multiple time zones when flying. 

I hadn’t had this problem on previous sailings but it was such an issue this last time that I will have to make the small investment. 

36 minutes ago, drwbrt said:

I hadn’t had this problem on previous sailings but it was such an issue this last time that I will have to make the small investment. 

BTW the wifi location issue can affect payments using your watch/phone. I work in retail and our wifi constantly tells devices they're in a different location so when they try to tap pay and their account has location based security it rejects the payment. I regularly have to tell people to turn off the wifi on their phones and re-try the tap payment, I've even had it happen to me at a local gas station. 

• Thanks 1