What travel insurance do you buy?

sbaker

31 minutes ago, sbaker said:

We're fairly new to NCL.  When booking with NCL and buying travel insurance, do you buy NCL's own "Booksafe Travel Protection Plan", or is it better to buy insurance from a third-party independent source?  

We always purchase third party travel insurance.

Here is a link to the Travel Insurance section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

There will be lots of information already there, plus you can ask your specific questions there, too.

We get our policies through a travel insurance broker:

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They sell policies from several vetted travel insurers.  There is no extra charge to the travelers for using the broker.  And they can help with claims if ever needed.

You might want to browse through their online summaries, but do NOT rely on just those summaries to select a policy.  There is too much "fine print" to get into short summaries.

If you speak with them, they can discuss your specific concerns to help find the most appropriate policy for your particular needs (e.g., frail family members at home, pre-existing conditions, etc.).

Also, to get the best coverage choices, one should start the insurance by insuring the deposit amount within 10-20 days of the very first payment (refundable or not).  It varies by policy and also by state of residence.

We've used TIS to get policies from Travel Insured - and we've had several claims, including a few large ones.  All have been paid promptly without nonsense.

GC

• Like 2

i use tripinsurancestore. when things shut down i got a 3 year credit on the unused insurance i bought. whatever insurance you buy you need to decide if you need cancel for any reason. depending on what cruise line you use, you may not need it. some lines let you cancel and get FCC up to 2 days before you cruise. some dont. but if you dont want FCC then you need 3rd party CFAR. 

i dont know NCLs policy with their own insurance but it may offer FCC CFAR insurance to some percentage. years ago i used this benefit with princess and it was very nice! its worth looking into

I purchase third party through www.squaremouth.com.  I like to be able to customize my  types of coverage (based on cruise location, medical needs, etc.) and amounts of coverage.  I always get better coverage and cheaper price than NCL coverage offers.

I don't buy any, but I also tend to not pay for anything in advance.  My last cruise I purchased on a Tuesday, flew Friday and boarded Saturday.  I also did no pre-pay anything on board or hotels just in case.  I booked my airline ticket two days beforehand, but was only from Canada to Florida so pretty frequent flights and availability there.

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

There will be lots of information already there, plus you can ask your specific questions there, too.

They sell policies from several vetted travel insurers.  There is no extra charge to the travelers for using the broker.  And they can help with claims if ever needed.

You might want to browse through their online summaries, but do NOT rely on just those summaries to select a policy.  There is too much "fine print" to get into short summaries.

If you speak with them, they can discuss your specific concerns to help find the most appropriate policy for your particular needs (e.g., frail family members at home, pre-existing conditions, etc.).

Also, to get the best coverage choices, one should start the insurance by insuring the deposit amount within 10-20 days of the very first payment (refundable or not).  It varies by policy and also by state of residence.

We've used TIS to get policies from Travel Insured - and we've had several claims, including a few large ones.  All have been paid promptly without nonsense.

GC

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy
wrong place

4 minutes ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

If you travel more than once per year, you might want to consider annual travel insurance.  We travel 3 to 4 times a year (or more) and have found that this works great for us.  You are covered for ANY travel which takes you more than 100 miles from home.  We were in California visiting a friend and I fell and had a small fracture in my arm.  My travel insurance covered everything that was not covered by my own health insurance.  I expected a check for $50 or so, yet received over $200.  I think we pay around $400 for the two of us for 12 months of coverage. They even have a cheaper plan that runs around $130 for 2 people.   I use Allianz Travel Insurance, but I would imagine that other carriers have it also.

If you have a premium credit card you should look at any travel insurance that comes with your card.  Ours gives us pretty decent coverage for anything that happens while we are traveling.  It doesn't cover the cost of a trip if we can't go, but I largely control my own schedule, have never had to cancel a vacation and don't think that risk justifies the cost.  I may change my mind as I get (even) older.

I am in the minority and buy NCL insurance.  I tend to cruise the Haven which is really expensive.  Life throws curveballs and there is a much more likely reason to postpone a cruise than just getting sick.  I like the peace of mind booking a cruise over a year away knowing for what ever reason, I can postpone the trip and get future credit.  I live in Miami and drive to the port so I dont need the travel to the port insurance.  I just want the peace of mind that if life comes up, I can put the cruise on hold.  No other insurance policy offers "Cancel for any reason."  When your trip is 10k you need protect your investment.  I know NCL insurance is more expensive but like anything in life, you get what you pay for.  Many travel insurance policies are skimpy and promise the world. Yet read the fine print and most everything is not covered.

Edited by david_sobe

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

I second everything above.  

54 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

No other insurance policy offers "Cancel for any reason." 

That's just not correct.  Perhaps you meant to explain what, if anything, is different about NCL's CFAR insurance. 

3 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

I purchase an annual policy from Allianz. It's less expensive than a third party per-trip policy.  Worth checking out.

Yes, worth checking out. But a cautionary note: annual policies typically have limitations, such as the length of the trips they cover. So while they do work for some frequent travelers, they aren't for everyone.  Another good reason to speak to an expert, like the folks at the Trip Insurance Store, recommended above.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I am in the minority and buy NCL insurance.  I tend to cruise the Haven which is really expensive.  Life throws curveballs and there is a much more likely reason to postpone a cruise than just getting sick.  I like the peace of mind booking a cruise over a year away knowing for what ever reason, I can postpone the trip and get future credit.  I live in Miami and drive to the port so I dont need the travel to the port insurance.  I just want the peace of mind that if life comes up, I can put the cruise on hold.  No other insurance policy offers "Cancel for any reason."  When your trip is 10k you need protect your investment.  I know NCL insurance is more expensive but like anything in life, you get what you pay for.  Many travel insurance policies are skimpy and promise the world. Yet read the fine print and most everything is not covered.

My recollection is that when it is time to decide on purchasing the NCL insurance, as with airline insurance, there is no way to determine exactly what is covered and what is excluded.  Are you provided such a document after purchasing, and if so would you share it?

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I am in the minority and buy NCL insurance.  I tend to cruise the Haven which is really expensive.  Life throws curveballs and there is a much more likely reason to postpone a cruise than just getting sick.  I like the peace of mind booking a cruise over a year away knowing for what ever reason, I can postpone the trip and get future credit.  I live in Miami and drive to the port so I dont need the travel to the port insurance.  I just want the peace of mind that if life comes up, I can put the cruise on hold. 

No other insurance policy offers "Cancel for any reason."  When your trip is 10k you need protect your investment. 

I know NCL insurance is more expensive but like anything in life, you get what you pay for.  Many travel insurance policies are skimpy and promise the world. Yet read the fine print and most everything is not covered.

ncl  dont give you your $ back. 😞 :mad:

just obc.

a few years ago, my dad died before the start of the cruise.

ncl wouldnt refund the $.

just gave my mom the $ in the form obc, which was thousands of $$$.

my mom only cruised with my dad.

12 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i use tripinsurancestore. when things shut down i got a 3 year credit on the unused insurance i bought. whatever insurance you buy you need to decide if you need cancel for any reason. depending on what cruise line you use, you may not need it. some lines let you cancel and get FCC up to 2 days before you cruise. some dont. but if you dont want FCC then you need 3rd party CFAR. 

any difference between insuremytrip and the tripinsurancestore?

11 hours ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

If you travel more than once per year, you might want to consider annual travel insurance.  We travel 3 to 4 times a year (or more) and have found that this works great for us.  You are covered for ANY travel which takes you more than 100 miles from home.  We were in California visiting a friend and I fell and had a small fracture in my arm.  My travel insurance covered everything that was not covered by my own health insurance.  I expected a check for $50 or so, yet received over $200.  I think we pay around $400 for the two of us for 12 months of coverage. They even have a cheaper plan that runs around $130 for 2 people.   I use Allianz Travel Insurance, but I would imagine that other carriers have it also.

yes, annual plans FTW!

i only needed medical evac and used GeoBlue for $100/yr no matter the # of cruises.

now i'm looking at Nationwide instead of renewing because GeoBlue raises premiums when you reach age 51. (and i just hot 51)

• Like 1

Insurance threads always get crazy because there are too many false assumptions.  No insurance policy allows you to cancel your cruise 5 days before cruising because you want to and you get all your money back. Yet people will post over and over how their insurance allows them to do it.   Another false assumption is because one person in your party is sick that means the entire group gets refunded 100%.  Yet people post this claim all the time. I could go on and on.  I remember one person many years ago here swore up and down their credit card gave them insurance they could cancel a cruise for whatever reason at any point and the card would pay them money 100% cost of the cruise.  People believe these things so this is why I am reluctant to comment on these threads and I think I made a mistake again 😆

48 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

any difference between insuremytrip and the tripinsurancestore?

Insure my trip sells policies from dozens of companies. They have agents who can answer questions, but it is hard for them to know the details and service records of all companies.

Trip insurance store is owned by an independent broker who sells only from a few companies he has worked with and trusts. He or one of his agents can answer your questions, advise you on the best policy for your needs, and assist if you need to file a claim.

The cost of insurance is regulated by states and is determined largely by the cost of the trip, length of the trip, and the travelers age so it does not matter from whom you buy it. The real difference is getting the best product for you and satisfactory claim settlement if necessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Travelicious said:

My recollection is that when it is time to decide on purchasing the NCL insurance, as with airline insurance, there is no way to determine exactly what is covered and what is excluded.  Are you provided such a document after purchasing, and if so would you share it?

There is an entire web page dedicated to the Booksafe Travel Protection Plan. If you scroll down, you’ll see a link to each of the three policies they offer. You have to enter your state for the details of the policy that applies to you because states regulate insurance.

So, yes, you have access to the certificate of insurance detailing what is covered which allows you examine it and comparison shop before you buy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I booked months ago for 2023.  Is it too late for me to buy insurance?

No, it is not too late. If pre-existing conditions is a concern, look for a policy that allows a waiver if you purchase by final payment.

Other time-sensitive coverage such as cancel for any reason or financial default will not be available to you