CDC protocols withdrawn

Senga

I firmly believe the cruise lines are going to continue with the same protocols.  To do away with them would potentially put them in a situation where they're shutting down again.  IMO, cruises are probably the safest place to be currently.

• Like 18

When the CDC Conditional Sail Order was made voluntary only for cruises originating in Florida, the cruise lines continued to adopt the CDC recommended protocols.  I wouldn't expect anything different now that the CSO is now voluntary everywhere.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 6

While the CDC CSO has expired, the CDC has developed a "Healthy Sail" Covid-19 mitigation plan that the cruise lines can opt-in to. They have until January 21st to do so.  NCL has already stated that they intend to.

However if they choose not to, they are still subject to CDC regulation.  According to an article in USA Today..

"But "voluntary" doesn't mean that cruise ships will not be regulated by the CDC – regardless of whether or not they opt into the program, according to Captain Aimee Treffiletti, who leads the CDC's maritime unit.

"(Cruise ship operators) can choose the 'healthy sail' option, or they can choose to kind of do their own thing, but it's very important to keep in mind that ships will still be under CDC's regulatory authority," Treffiletti told USA TODAY Friday.

If a cruise line chooses to opt-out of the program its ships would then fall under the CDC's mask order for public transportation and the agency's regulatory authority for inspections. And cruise ships, regardless of participation in the voluntary program, will still be required to report every COVID case on board, just through a "different mechanism" than the way they currently report cases."

So while some of you are anxious to see the health mitigation measures dropped, don't hold your breath behind those masks.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

While the CDC CSO has expired, the CDC has developed a "Healthy Sail" Covid-19 mitigation plan that the cruise lines can opt-in to. They have until January 21st to do so.  NCL has already stated that they intend to.

However if they choose not to, they are still subject to CDC regulation.  According to an article in USA Today..

"But "voluntary" doesn't mean that cruise ships will not be regulated by the CDC – regardless of whether or not they opt into the program, according to Captain Aimee Treffiletti, who leads the CDC's maritime unit.

"(Cruise ship operators) can choose the 'healthy sail' option, or they can choose to kind of do their own thing, but it's very important to keep in mind that ships will still be under CDC's regulatory authority," Treffiletti told USA TODAY Friday.

If a cruise line chooses to opt-out of the program its ships would then fall under the CDC's mask order for public transportation and the agency's regulatory authority for inspections. And cruise ships, regardless of participation in the voluntary program, will still be required to report every COVID case on board, just through a "different mechanism" than the way they currently report cases."

So while some of you are anxious to see the health mitigation measures dropped, don't hold your breath behind those masks.

Without having read it all myself, I get the impression that the CSO has just been re-cast into a new flavor of the month while retaining much of its former self.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

For now yes, but I certainly hope we are back to situation normal by this Fall.

That would be good. We are hoping the old normal is back by the summer of 2023 as that is when we have a cruise booked.

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Without having read it all myself, I get the impression that the CSO has just been re-cast into a new flavor of the month while retaining much of its former self.

Exactly.  So I'm not sure why people are getting so excited about the CSO expiring.  It's not like the minute it expired the cruise lines were going to toss masking and vaxxing requirements overboard.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

The USA Today article is somewhat misleading.  For example, according to other sources the masking requirements will still apply even to the ships participating in the program.  The line about the non-participants being still subject to CDC regulation, all cruise ships are still subject to CDC regulation just as before the No Sail Order and Conditional Sailing Orders.  (Think of CDC responses to Noro outbreaks...)

The big difference is that the Government will be giving program participants a "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" and non-participating lines will be identified by gray color in CDC's color chart.  They want to make it out to be if you pick a gray cruise line, you're taking your chances.

I continue to believe that the cruise lines will still want to have that 'seal of approval' from the CDC.  The big difference here is that if a cruise line doesn't 'play ball' with CDC they aren't being prevented from sailing.  CDC will only be responding to actual problems aboard a particular vessel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The USA Today article is somewhat misleading.  For example, according to other sources the masking requirements will still apply even to the ships participating in the program.  The line about the non-participants being still subject to CDC regulation, all cruise ships are still subject to CDC regulation just as before the No Sail Order and Conditional Sailing Orders.  (Think of CDC responses to Noro outbreaks...)

The big difference is that the Government will be giving program participants a "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" and non-participating lines will be identified by gray color in CDC's color chart.  They want to make it out to be if you pick a gray cruise line, you're taking your chances.

I continue to believe that the cruise lines will still want to have that 'seal of approval' from the CDC.  The big difference here is that if a cruise line doesn't 'play ball' with CDC they aren't being prevented from sailing.  CDC will only be responding to actual problems aboard a particular vessel.

I didn't find it misleading at all.  It clearly states that ships are subject to CDC regulations whether or not they opt into the voluntary program.  And the voluntary program is basically an extension of the CSO.  So either way, masks will be required.  I was not under the impression they wouldn't be.

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

If a cruise line chooses to opt-out of the program its ships would then fall under the CDC's mask order for public transportation and the agency's regulatory authority for inspections.

This sentence certainly has a connotation with its if/then premise.  That's why I considered the story somewhat misleading.  The sentence definitely doesn't state or imply that all ships will be subjected to the same requirements.  But whatever, you read a different meaning than me.  It's all good.

27 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If possible, could someone please provide the CDC link where it says passengers on cruise ships must wear masks indoors? I just want to be able to follow the source of that guidance should it change once Omicron is no long a big issue.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/face-masks-public-transportation.html#:~:text=On January 29%2C 2021%2C CDC,United States and U.S. territories

14 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

I'm not seeing the paragraph where it said passengers on cruise ships are required to wear facemasks indoors. Can you please point me to that paragraph? All I see is references to US public transportation, last updated June 10, 2021. 

Updated: If I might add no passenger on a Celebrity cruise has been required to wear a face mask while indoors on any of their cruise ships until a couple of weeks ago. However, all passengers have been required to wear a mask in the terminal prior to boarding the ship at a US port and once they disembark from the ship at a US port; or any other country with similar masking requirements.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm not seeing the paragraph where it said passengers on cruise ships are required to wear facemasks indoors. Can you please point me to that paragraph? All I see is references to US public transportation, last updated June 10, 2021. 

MaritimeDoes the mask order apply to all commercial maritime conveyance activity in the United States?

Yes, the mask order applies to all persons traveling on commercial maritime conveyances into, within, or out of the United States and to all persons at U.S. seaports, when located in indoor areas. The term commercial maritime conveyance means all forms of commercial maritime vessels, including but not limited to cargo ships, fishing vessels, research vessels, self-propelled barges, and all forms of passenger carrying vessels including ferries, river cruise ships, and those chartered for fishing trips, unless otherwise exempted.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

MaritimeDoes the mask order apply to all commercial maritime conveyance activity in the United States?

Yes, the mask order applies to all persons traveling on commercial maritime conveyances into, within, or out of the United States and to all persons at U.S. seaports, when located in indoor areas. The term commercial maritime conveyance means all forms of commercial maritime vessels, including but not limited to cargo ships, fishing vessels, research vessels, self-propelled barges, and all forms of passenger carrying vessels including ferries, river cruise ships, and those chartered for fishing trips, unless otherwise exempted.

OK, but let me just say no passenger on a Celebrity cruise leaving from a US port has been required to wear a face mask while indoors on any of their cruise ships until a couple of weeks ago. However, all passengers have been required to wear a mask in the US port terminal prior to boarding the ship and once they disembark from the ship at a US port; or any other country with similar masking requirements.

Here's is what's currently posted on the Celebrity website, as well.

Will I be required to wear a mask onboard?

As a result of increased COVID-19 cases associated with the Omicron variant, masks will be required for all guests (regardless of vaccination status,) at all times indoors except while eating or drinking.  Note that this policy is currently in effect and will be re-evaluated on a continuous basis.

Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, but let me just say no passenger on a Celebrity cruise has been required to wear a face mask while indoors on any of their cruise ships until a couple of weeks ago. However, all passengers have been required to wear a mask in the US port terminal prior to boarding the ship and once they disembark from the ship at a US port; or any other country with similar masking requirements.

Here's is what's currently posted on the Celebrity website, as well.

Will I be required to wear a mask onboard?

As a result of increased COVID-19 cases associated with the Omicron variant, masks will be required for all guests (regardless of vaccination status,) at all times indoors except while eating or drinking.  Note that this policy is currently in effect and will be re-evaluated on a continuous basis.

Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

If you read through the timelines and guidance changes, you'll get a better idea of how that guidance changed.  And now that the cruise lines and the CDC are no longer bound by the CSO and the rules they had previously adopted, including not requiring masks on fully vaccinated cruises, the cruise lines fall back under standard CDC regulatory authority.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Updated: If I might add no passenger on a Celebrity cruise has been required to wear a face mask while indoors on any of their cruise ships until a couple of weeks ago. However, all passengers have been required to wear a mask in the terminal prior to boarding the ship at a US port and once they disembark from the ship at a US port; or any other country with similar masking requirements.

Which is why that even though we love Celebrity, we won’t be cruising on this line for a while.  They’re just not taking this seriously

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Which is why that even though we love Celebrity, we won’t be cruising on this line for a while.  They’re just not taking this seriously

That’s fine and I understand why. We’ve sailed on 3 of their ships since cruising started back up for a total of 58 days and have felt pretty safe on all of the cruises. But, then, we treat everyone onboard, except for the crew, like they have cooties and keep our distance, just like we will when we sail on the Caribbean Princess in April. 😎

• Like 2