Cruising after Covid….

I hadn’t left our house in a month. Herb did all the food shopping, masked and careful. Several weeks ago, he felt ill and three days later, I was coughing, sneezing and full of mucus….yup.. the tests were positive. 
Fortunately, we are both recovered, having had mild cases. 
We had canceled our January and February cruises just before we got sick. The only remaining one was for the Amazon inApril. 
However, good things come with bad….. just booked a new Regent cruise..February 28th on Splendor. No worries about pre-boarding testing. No worries about being placed in quarantine. Yay!

so…who else is sailing with us?

Sheila and Herb

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

@Bellaggio Cruisers do you mean that you are exempt from pre-board testing since as you are recently recovered you could possibly test positive for weeks afterward....and you just carry a statement from your physician attesting to your recovery status?

No… just meant we will not be positive at the testing.
But I will bring the physician statement. Just in case I need it. 
sheila

3 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We are recovered so what policy do you mean?

thanks

sheila

You can still test positive after recovering...sometimes for weeks afterwards. If you test positive in 6 weeks will Regent care that you were sick already or will they assume you are sick again and not allow you to board? Things are getting very strange on board these days...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You can still test positive after recovering...sometimes for weeks afterwards. If you test positive in 6 weeks will Regent care that you were sick already or will they assume you are sick again and not allow you to board? Things are getting very strange on board these days...

Got it… thanks will check!

sheila

I agree with Pcardad's concern.  Sheila, I share your eagerness to cruise and I am pleased you both had a mild case.  BUT...friends & colleagues tested positive months ago, had all three shots...but recently became ill with Omicron & tested positive once again this month. 

So please don't assume based on personal experience that you & Herb are "immunized" from becoming infected again or testing positive at the port.

I truly hope you both enjoy a great April cruise.  But there are any number of folks who initially had the virus but now are testing positive.  The virus is everywhere despite our best efforts to avoid it. 

• Like 1

just want to reiterate-  get a letter from your doctor stating that you are recovered from covid.  And check with Regent now to make sure they will allow you to board.  If they make you do that test preboarding, there is a good possibility that it will be positive as the tests can stay positive for weeks and in some cases months.  

1 minute ago, RachelG said:

just want to reiterate-  get a letter from your doctor stating that you are recovered from covid.  And check with Regent now to make sure they will allow you to board.  If they make you do that test preboarding, there is a good possibility that it will be positive as the tests can stay positive for weeks and in some cases months.  

True and is anyone willing to bet that Regent would allow you to board with a positive result?

Just for my own understanding...do you still test positive for weeks/months after the initial infection with the pier-side antigen test that Regent is employing?

I was under the assumption that this only apply to PCR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rloke said:

Just for my own understanding...do you still test positive for weeks/months after the initial infection with the pier-side antigen test that Regent is employing?

I was under the assumption that this only apply to PCR.

I don't know - that's why I suggested getting something in writing from Regent.

12 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I don't know - that's why I suggested getting something in writing from Regent.

For sure...hopefully moot as Sheila/Herb will be taking a test prior to arriving at the port...

• Like 1

Best wishes Sheila and Herb.

I am POSITIVE you will have a NEGATIVE Antigen test before you board.

I am not an Immunologist, but have played one on TV. 😉

• Like 2

Cruised on Mickey's line in November, and part of their policy is for Covid recovered from 11-90 days. Requirements are proof of original positive test (in last 11-90 days) and recovery letter from your doctor (fit to travel). Then not required to take port boarding test.

It would be nice for Regent to create a policy.

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Cruised on Mickey's line in November, and part of their policy is for Covid recovered from 11-90 days. Requirements are proof of original positive test (in last 11-90 days) and recovery letter from your doctor (fit to travel). Then not required to take port boarding test.

It would be nice for Regent to create a policy.

Yes!  We need to know what their firm policy is!  

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 6:52 AM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

After further checking, you are all correct. We have been advised to test before going to the ship to see results. If we do test positive at the ship, we will just go home. 
sheila

This may be a stupid question and perhaps we missed the answer, but if you test positive at the ship and "will just go home" don't you lose your complete cruise fare?

https://www.rssc.com/HealthSafetyProtocols

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation will be denied boarding. If the guest(s) is symptomatic and requires medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will arrange to have the guest(s) transferred to the local hospital. Hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense and MedCon will make daily calls to our guest(s) in the hospital as a health diary (daily case management). If the guest(s) is not symptomatic, or mildly symptomatic and does not require immediate medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will contact Port/Marine Ops and Hotel Ops to arrange transportation from port. Guest(s) will be isolated in accordance with local regulations. Should the guest(s) develop any symptoms, need to consult a doctor, or require medication associated with COVID-19 they are to contact MedCon. All shoreside hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense. Once required isolation period is complete, no further test will be administered. Any airline or country of origin testing requirements will be at the guest(s)‘ expense. MedCon/Port Agent will manage arrangements for travel/transportation once the Port Agent advises the guest(s) is cleared to travel home. MedCon/Port Agent are to settle all upfront payments with guest(s). Additional details regarding costs for travel arrangements and quarantine can be found below in the “If I test positive for COVID-19, will Regent cover the cost of travel arrangements and/or quarantine needed?”.

Will all guests traveling in the same suite be denied boarding if one member of the party tests positive at embarkation?
Yes — all guests booked in the same suite as the confirmed COVID-19 positive case will not be allowed to board.

If I cannot sail because I test positive for COVID-19 within three (3) days of travelling to the ship, or at the pier the day of embarkation, will I receive a refund?
Guests who must cancel their cruise within three (3) days of travelling to the ship due to a positive COVID-19 test prior to leaving home, or those that test positive for COVID-19 at the pier prior to embarkation and are denied boarding, should submit an insurance claim. For guests whose claims are denied or who do not have insurance, proof of claim denial from insurance carrier and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider (including the test administered at the pier) are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date, and Regent will provide a Future Cruise Credit (FCC); the FCC will post to the guest’s account within 30 days. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied to any reservation within one (1) year on any Regent voyage departing within two (2) years. Alternatively, guest may request a monetary refund to the original form of payment** on file by sending an email to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever. ** If any portion of the booking has previously applied Future Cruise Credits, those Future Cruise Credits will be reinstated to the guest’s account and are non-refundable.

12 hours ago, Pcardad said:

https://www.rssc.com/HealthSafetyProtocols

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation will be denied boarding....

So that is very clear.  Unless I'm missing something, it has no provision whatsoever for those recovered from the virus.  This is very short-sighted and must be changed.  Regent?

(There also seems to be a typo in there, i.e., "...Guests who must cancel their cruise within three (3) days of travelling to the ship due to a positive COVID-19 test prior to leaving home, or those that test positive for COVID-19 at the pier prior to embarkation and are denied boarding, should submit an insurance claim. For guests whose claims are denied or who do not have insurance, proof of claim denial from insurance carrier and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider (including the test administered at the pier) are to be submitted...".  The bold portion, I believe, should say "proof of a positive...", not a negative.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1