Cruise Critic is Cruising During Omicron. Have Questions for Us?

CCAubs

One of Cruise Critic's editors is currently onboard Carnival Radiance to get a firsthand report of what it's like to sail during omicron — and she wants to address your questions/concerns, too! Wondering how strict the ship is being about safety protocols? Are passengers following the rules? Are some ship activities on hold? Is the ship at capacity? Post your questions here and she'll do her best to make sure she answers as many as possible in her Live From report later this week!

• Like 2

Oh...also I am guessing you had to be tested within 2 days?  Any idea on how many cases during and by the end of the cruise and did you get off in Ensenada? Or have worries about getting quarantined in Mexico?  And if you did not get off the ship but got it would they get you back to LA and then??  They quarantine you and cover it or you pay?

19 hours ago, CCAubs said:

Wondering how strict the ship is being about safety protocols? Are passengers following the rules? Are some ship activities on hold? Is the ship at capacity? 

Yes, please ask all those questions directly.  Also post a link to the report when it's done.

In addition, answer the following IF YOU DARE (evil laugh 😈😞

• Any announcements from the Captain and/or CD about number and/or percentage of COVID cases among passengers and/or crew?
  • Did any ports turn you away?  Why?  Did they explain?
  • How is life in isolation? (don't go there just because I asked, but you might get there naturally)
Edited by Honolulu Blue

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Why aren't main dining rooms distancing their tables more, given that capacity remains low?

Why does it seem that they (CCL lines in general, actually) are not being transparent about COVID cases onboard?

I can't answer the first question, but the answer to the second is obvious; they do not want passengers or people looking to book a cruise to know.

Edited by ontheweb

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Yes, please ask all those questions directly.  Also post a link to the report when it's done.

In addition, answer the following IF YOU DARE (evil laugh 😈😞

• Any announcements from the Captain and/or CD about number and/or percentage of COVID cases among passengers and/or crew?
  • Did any ports turn you away?  Why?  Did they explain?
  • How is life in isolation? (don't go there just because I asked, but you might get there naturally)

Will definitely post the report here when it's up. Thanks for the questions -- they've been recorded!

Did Katherine Alex Beaven pay for her cruise or was this a freebie for a Cruise Critic editor? She has not answered most of the questions above about itinerary, announcements by the captain, percentage of infections or why cruise lines are not publishing numbers of infections.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, Dazzlingred said:

What happens when the country you are doing a river cruise is Level  4 - High for covid?  Will (for example) Viking cancel the river cruise?

That one might be harder to answer as they are on a Carnival cruise.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:29 PM, Dazzlingred said:

What happens when the country you are doing a river cruise is Level  4 - High for covid?  Will (for example) Viking cancel the river cruise?

Good question. Based on how we're seeing lines handle the situation currently, the sailing wouldn't necessarily be canceled just because of the warning (ex: lines are still visiting Mexico). Guests can, of course, determine their own comfort level with disembarking.

The line does reserve the right to alter itineraries, though. So while they might not cancel the entire cruise, certain ports could be altered if they felt necessary (or if the country isn't welcoming guests, as we've seen in some destinations).

I hope that helps?

On 1/21/2022 at 5:35 PM, whogo said:

Did Katherine Alex Beaven pay for her cruise or was this a freebie for a Cruise Critic editor? She has not answered most of the questions above about itinerary, announcements by the captain, percentage of infections or why cruise lines are not publishing numbers of infections.

I think the lack of an answer is the answer. 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:35 PM, whogo said:

This whole site is filled with travel agents and those in the biz, of course they are going to put their most positive spin on everything. Self preservation is obvious. Why else would they delete so many posts and control the narrative? Good luck getting answer on this lol. This is basically a cruise business insider site that allows the public to post. That's kind of a loaded question too. If you're afraid of catching covid, traveling isn't a good idea in general right now, especially sea of humanity type vacations. Don't kid yourself, it's on every cruise.  

10 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I have a question. Are any of the lines allowing face mask exemptions for medical reasons or allowing face shields in place of a mask for medical reasons? 

Hi Cruisingguy

An answer to that question can quite easily be found on the internet. 

Just wondering where you get your ideas of what the make up of this site is, having looked at your earlier comment. Having seen some of your other posts I was also wondering, have you actually been on a cruise since joining Cruise Critic? I realize this is personal and as you suggest it might be deleted by the moderators, but you seem really doom and gloom about the industry as a whole. Do you think you will ever go on another cruise?