The Daily for Saturday 01/22/2022

richwmn

Today is National Blonde Brownie Day, Answer Your Cat's Questions Day, and National Polka Dot Day

We accept the love we think we deserve.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - Gnocchi with Pesto Sauce
Drink of the Day - Derby Spritzer
Wine of the Day - Silkman 2018 Semillon (Hunter Valley)
Destination of the Day - Nagasaki, Japan

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Rotterdam  

Destination Port Everglades eta 1/23

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination Honolulu, Oahu Isl eta 1/23

Half Moon Cay BS

Nieuw Statendam  

08:00 - 15:00

Panama Canal

Eurodam  

05:00 - 05:00

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Zuiderdam  

07:00 - 17:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Aegean Sea

Oosterdam  

Destination Corfu GR eta 1/24

Corfu GR

Volendam 

Zaandam  

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam  

07:00 - 17:00

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam  

Anchorage

0122NAmerica.thumb.png.7561cb689decdda01f545ba7ec8a5dcd.png

0122Europe.thumb.png.81a80f4a0c9510c12e1b5921eeeaaee9.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 13

Good Saturday morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's -10C with a snow squall watch for us.  Bertie may get a shorter walk than usual this morning.

Interesting quote.

Blonde brownies sound like a good idea.  I don't have a cat to talk to.  I don't think I have anything with polka dots.

The dinner suggestion sounds good.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 32

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on all 3 days today and probably the meal as well.  Been to Nagasaki just once (2004) on the Crystal Harmony before I have any photos.  I like the quote.  Another brutally cold morning and a cold evening but not as brutal for the Symphony as last week. 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation and Jose’s fall and fracture

Marshhawk DH in family limbo
Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
Mr. Boston awaiting biopsy results
JAM37 DGD and ger_77 DGS with covid
Cruzin Terri lump surgery 1/25
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29) at sea
Cruising single in Hawaii
Aide rotation for Sam
Marley cancer free
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
Jose elbow not broken
Highland Cruiser with the grandkids
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in Florida, AND more optimistic diagnosis
Tana out of ICU
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon.

It is 45°F and sunny here.

We had a nice breakfast this morning.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days.

I had a black Persian cat for 15 years and know they are a law upon themselves.

I will pass on the food and drink and never been to Japan so photos will be welcome.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20220122_104916.jpg

Screenshot_20220122_120348.jpg

Screenshot_20220122_120411.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 4

Not such a nice weekend in SW Florida, rainy today with a  front moving in on Sunday. I'm a 4 times a week golfer but I'm taking Monday off as it's only going to be 37 at our 8AM tee off time, too many nice days in Florida so I'm not going to punish myself in almost freezing weather.

Hope all are doing well wherever you may be.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 32

Good morning everyone. I’ve been up since 2 am and am now waiting to let the aide in so I can go back to sleep. 
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday  we had a lovely aide named Kati. Yesterday we had someone named Helen. She must have weighed close to 300 pounds and she fell off our kitchen chair and landed on the floor along with the chair, but the worst part was she arrived without a mask and it was 10:minutes before I realized. I gave her one of our N95 masks and she had trouble putting one strap above and one below her ears so it kept slipping off her nose. When Sam called her for help, she told him she was on the phone with her children and he would have to wait. She will not be coming back. Today, we have Kati back and tomorrow a new man. I’ve got my fingers crossed that he works because then we can alternate between Kati and him. My friend told me it took her 9 months to get decent help for her husband. It’s very difficult because they just are t working.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 45°F and sunny here.

We had a nice breakfast this morning.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days.

I had a black Persian cat for 15 years and know they are a law upon themselves.

I will pass on the food and drink and never been to Japan so photos will be welcome.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20220122_104916.jpg

Screenshot_20220122_120348.jpg

Screenshot_20220122_120411.jpg

We just returned from breakfast, your breakfast looks very tasty.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.

It is 32 degrees and overcast.  It doesn’t promise to get much warmer today. So it looks like it is a good day for indoor activities.

I’m batting zero as far as the days.  No cats, don’t eat lots of sweets and the only thing I have with polka dots is a summer jacket.  Can’t wear that today.

I do like the quote.

As for the meal, that’s out as well.  My tummy cannot tolerate pesto.

Yesterday seemed to be a bummer for me.  As I said in last night’s post, I never got back to the thread because of a distraction.  That also caused me not to take my medication (Prednisone) for the Polymyalgia Rheumatica.  Well today I am feeling the consequences of that. I didn’t realize it would affect me so quickly.  It is a sad reminder that this thing is still very much with me.

Not very much to report.  Just hoping that the weather improves and that we see sunshine again real soon.

For those of you with snow and ice, be careful if you have to go out.

Prayers for those who are on the cares list, especially Jacqui and Jose, Carol and Sam and Roy.

Cheers to those celebrating.

Stay warm everyone and 

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. A fun combination of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Happy to read you are doing well!  @kazu Jacqui thrilled to read your positive news. The last thing you would need is for Jose to have broken his elbow, or Marley to have cancer. Now we need for Tana to have some positive news. 

Our chilly temps are back. Bindi did not want to go out this morning. 😎

Lots of errands and chores today. Not much else planned. Not sure about supper. 

Our Winter series continues…..

8EFBDCC5-BBB7-4AB7-A99B-84835DD146DC.jpeg.5debccee7b38594c2221cf2086ee36f8.jpeg

CD1131D3-8D44-40A6-9AF5-0788997DEC7B.jpeg.214aa53d2655faac6fd5553153d5f3eb.jpeg

9B514431-14F9-405F-8048-FABE0258D626.jpeg.cae79387eeaf295d5f856d4288b15da0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This wine’s excellent ratings and reasonable price makes it an appealing choice. Several online distributors with prices starting at $23.99. I am adding this to my list. 

Winemaker Notes

Vibrant pale yellow with a green hue, aromas of limes and citrus are abundant on the nose and carry through to a seamless long and elegant palate denoted by flavors of white peach and citrus peel.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast

This bottling presents the iconic Aussie style of Sémillon. Citrus zest, pineapple, white spice and honeysuckle characteristics melt into a waxy mouthfeel on the medium- to full-bodied palate. Zippy acidity and tangy citrus and spice notes linger on the finish. Clocking in at under 12% alcohol, the wine offers food-friendly drinking now, with the capability to age into a more complex creature through 2025

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I’ve been up since 2 am and am now waiting to let the aide in so I can go back to sleep. 
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday  we had a lovely aide named Kati. Yesterday we had someone named Helen. She must have weighed close to 300 pounds and she fell off our kitchen chair and landed on the floor along with the chair, but the worst part was she arrived without a mask and it was 10:minutes before I realized. I gave her one of our N95 masks and she had trouble putting one strap above and one below her ears so it kept slipping off her nose. When Sam called her for help, she told him she was on the phone with her children and he would have to wait. She will not be coming back. Today, we have Kati back and tomorrow a new man. I’ve got my fingers crossed that he works because then we can alternate between Kati and him. My friend told me it took her 9 months to get decent help for her husband. It’s very difficult because they just are t working.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Oh Carol, 

How awful to have someone like that.  If you get someone who works, Like Kati, maybe you can make a private arrangement with her.  That’s how we found someone for DBIL.  

It may be worth it. 

Also I don’t know if you saw my suggestion about burnt pots.  If you haven’t tried it, see if Barkeepers Friend works.  For me, it is great.  It makes them look like new.

Hope it all works out for you.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 30

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  Fun collection of days although I thought cats gave orders rather than ask questions!  I think that I’ll pass on the meal suggestion today although I do like pesto.  The drink reminds me of the Kentucky Derby for some reason.  I like the quote.  It’s cold here this morning 15°F so I think I’ll be doing interior chores today.  I haven’t been to today’s port so looking forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  @grapau27 how is the healing from your recent Mohs surgery coming along?  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Saturday

This morning is the coldest morning since moving here four years ago. Current temp is 2 F and ten miles away our neighboring Staunton is -2F. Reminds me of being back in Chicago where this would be just a moderately-cold morning. Sam has been in and out twice - without cooperating! Our snow cover is still on the ground due to the sleet that ended last weekend's storm. Sam has a lot of difficulty walking, and even slipped and fell last night. I have considered bring the snow blower around to the backyard to cut paths for him to walk. Sam did have a walk yesterday morning which he enjoyed. So sad to see a big dog like him crippled by the snow.

Stay safe - and warm today!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all,

overcast and 7°C here (45°F).

It is a really memorable day though, as last night the government removed MOST restrictions that have been in place for the last nearly 2 years.

Apart from masking in public transport, retail environments and a few other places (including schools) all the previous restrictions, such as bars/restaurants closing at 8pm; only table service; covid passes to eat inside restaurants and pubs; capacity restriction etc, have all been removed with immediate effect.   The infection numbers are dropping rapidly and the numbers in hospital never reached the levels of the previous variants.   

The official line is that there is no longer a public health rationale for restrictions.

If anyone wants to read some positivity today then follow the link.  It seems that our prime minister wants us all to sing!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/freedom-today-a-new-dawn-as-two-year-nightmare-nears-end-41266450.html

Continued positive thoughts for all those in need.

@grapau27 that looks like your 500 calories for today all on one plate!😉

@

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday  we had a lovely aide named Kati. Yesterday we had someone named Helen. She must have weighed close to 300 pounds and she fell off our kitchen chair and landed on the floor along with the chair, but the worst part was she arrived without a mask and it was 10:minutes before I realized. I gave her one of our N95 masks and she had trouble putting one strap above and one below her ears so it kept slipping off her nose. When Sam called her for help, she told him she was on the phone with her children and he would have to wait. She will not be coming back. Today, we have Kati back and tomorrow a new man. I’ve got my fingers crossed that he works becaus e then we can alternate between Kati and him. My friend told me it took her 9 months to get decent help for her husband. It’s very difficult because they just are t working.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

I will second what @Cruzin Terri,said.It was only searching for a private aide that saved me when DH was in need. Word of mouth,church groups,etc.I hope today is better.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Blonde brownies make a nice treat now and then. I don't have a cat but when I did I talked with them and answered their questions. Polka dots are fun.

Gnocchi and pesto sounds great, but I'll wait to have it in a restaurant as DH would never eat it. I like the quote.

Well, this is the third day in a row of fog. Yesterday it never cleared at all. It is 26 degrees here this morning and is supposed to get into the low 40's. The forecast is not calling for the sun to come out so the fog may not clear today either. I am very grateful that the temperature is forecasted to rise and that we did not get the storm that was threatening our area. @richwmn Rich I hope you are staying safe and warm. @StLouisCruisers Sandi how is it down your way?

@kazu Jacqui I was so happy to read your good news. Praying you get more and more of it each day.

@rafinmd Roy your numbers look good. Praying the trend continues.

@Cruzin Terri Terri I hope you feel better as the day goes on.

@mamaofami Carol I'm so sorry you had another bad experience with an aid. Praying the male aid is a good one.

@grapau27 Graham as always your pictures are great and your meals look awesome. Thank you for the explanation of days.

@smitty34877 Terry hoping to hear that today is a better day for Tana. How is her son doing?

I was hoping to have an update on Lucy while typing, but they are most likely getting through their morning routine. I am sure I will hear something a little later.

Stay warm and safe.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning friends!  Only 31 degrees!  We will go up to the low to mid 40's and sun this afternoon.  Thank you Lord!  We need to get out for some groceries so maybe later.  Today is laundry day too.  Interesting collection of days.  I have a couple of polka dot dresses, one black and the other navy, both with white polka dots.  I like to wear casual dresses to dinner while cruising at least half the time.  I wish I was cruising soon!  Next scheduled is late June and I'm not sure whether we will be going or not. ☹️  I think I'll pass on the menu suggestion.  No I haven't been to Nagasaki.  The last time we had that port was my birthday!

Prayers said this morning while on the treadmill for our Care list and everyone in my family and friend group in need.  DD told me our DSIL says he thinks people may have been overly optimistic on his Mom's condition because she seems pretty bad to him.  Apparently having a new diagnosis to check out doesn't mean she is suddenly recovered.  They are having problems controlling her high blood pressure which could be the reason for the PRES.  I hope to hear better news in the next few days.  This worries me.

Cheers to everyone on the Celebration list and everyone else enjoying family visits, cruises, better health, etc.  @grapau27looks like you and Pauline are doing what you said you planned on doing, enjoying life to the fullest.  What a positive way to live!  Thanks for the food pics.  @mamaofamiI would call yesterday's aide a disaster.  I wouldn't have her back either.  Hope the new male aide works out well so he and Kati can rotate on and off until you come up with a better plan.  Prayers for you and Sam!  I concur about the Barkeeper's friend Cleanser Terri mentioned.  It's much gentler than regular cleansers.  I use it on my shiny saucepans when they get discolored, for instance DH uses one to heat up pinto beans and they always leave marks inside.  A quick scour with Barkeeper"s Friend and they are shiny and brand new looking instantly.

Happy Birthday wishes today for oldest DGS Tyler on his 24th birthday.  He is the third GC to have a January birthday!  🎂❤️🎉

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.  

It is a very chilly start here in northeast Ohio.  The temperature is -4F.   A good day to wrap up and watch movies on Netflix.  I manage to find a lot of those days!  I think I am going to start to cut out the pieces for my new quilt.  It is a blue and white Ohio star pattern.   I'm excited about it.  

Today's meal sounds good, but I have to pass due to the carb load.  There just isn't a satisfactory substitute for gnocci.   

Gnocci with basil pesto would make a great St. Patrick's Day meal for those who plan ahead.  Or perhaps a side dish to corned beef and cabbage.   This is a crispy gnocci.  Just imagine a nice fresh salad along with the gnocci and that wonderful looking bread.     https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/crispy-gnocchi-with-basil-pesto/

crispy-gnocchi-with-pesto1.jpg.a8efbf2939881fa9c50381cabf2fc2e1.jpg

If crispy gnocci doesn't do it for you, perhaps you'd like creamy gnocci and pesto.  https://www.saltandlavender.com/creamy-pesto-gnocchi/

creamy-pesto-gnocchi-recipe-1-720x1074.thumb.jpg.72491752d863028dcadd30904ef9151e.jpg

And just to change things up a bit, instead of basil pesto, let's try a sun dried tomato pesto.  This one contains chicken, but it can be left out for a vegetarian dish.   https://www.chiselandfork.com/sun-dried-tomato-pistachio-pesto-gnocchi/

sun-dried-tomato-gnocchi-2.thumb.jpg.894f39ef51bd70902e000274b6ac8b20.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those who are celebrating.  And we had some great milestones to celebrate!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, JAM37 said:

Just heard from DD who now has what she feels is a mild case of covid, but Lucy is doing better. Thank you all for your prayers.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi I am sad to hear about DSIL's Mom.

Happy birthday to Tyler.

Thanks Julia.  And I am sorry to hear about the spread of Covid among DD's family.  Thank goodness your little Lucy is doing better.  As far as I know no one in my family has Covid currently. Prayers 🙏that continues!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1