Celebrity dress code advice for 1st time Celebrity cruiser

ExPAGirl

We are sailing on our first Celebrity cruise in February aboard the Reflection for 7 nights.  We have sailed many Royal ships and are very familiar with the various theme nights and dress code suggestions. If anyone could help us understand what the dress code guidelines and options are for Celebrity we would appreciate it!   TIA!

Ruth and John

Celebrity attire seems to vary WIDELY based upon itinerary.

However, if you're on Reflection in February, that sounds pretty Caribbean, so you'll find it a much more informal cruise than, say, a Baltic cruise.

We tend to dress for dinner every night, and in 15nts in the Caribbean in November, I could count on one hand on any given night how many I spotted in Luminae even wearing sport coats.  There's a clue.

Celebrity publishes their guidelines for 'smart casual' (most of them) and 'Evening Chic' nights (link below).  Just go with whatever you have that fits into those two descriptions that suits you.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/onboard-dress-code

Edited by canderson
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, acshelco said:

Just to confirm this is for supper only right? I assume you can wear shorts and a t shirt for breakfast and lunch?

Yes, my last cruise in July most people were dressed casual even on evening chic, this was on the edge.

Edited by George C

13 minutes ago, acshelco said:

Just to confirm this is for supper only right? I assume you can wear shorts and a t shirt for breakfast and lunch?

Shorts are discouraged in Luminae for breakfast and lunch but people wear them. 

Long pants with a collared shirt is typical attire for evenings.  For Chic nights a long sleeve dress shirt and sports coat was the most common attire.  There were some who dressed more formally with ties, or a suite, but I did not see very many tux’s. 

On a Caribbean cruise you will sellouts of t-shirts and shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch.  In the Med or on TAs polo shirts and jeans.  They ask no swimwear.  Just use common sense and you will be fine.

DW brings several nice tops and shorts,3/4 length and pants that coordinate.  Always looks nice.

I wear t-shirts/polos and jeans or Bermuda shorts during the day.  Have 2 dress shirts, 1 tie and a sports coat for dinner.

I always laugh - would you wear a ratty t-shirt and shorts to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant.

And yes, a few will be in formal wear.

6 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Long pants with a collared shirt is typical attire for evenings.  For Chic nights a long sleeve dress shirt and sports coat was the most common attire.  There were some who dressed more formally with ties, or a suite, but I did not see very many tux’s. 

On my cruises while people dressed better in Luminae the suite restaurant, shorts were common for breakfast and lunch . After seeing most people without jackets on the first chic night, I didn’t have one on second, again this was last cruise in July.

33 minutes ago, acshelco said:

You are perfectly fine with decent shorts at breakfast & lunch...  including Luminae & Blu (Blu breakfast only, they aren't open for lunch).  

• Like 4

We have dined in Luminae since it opened and at least on a warm weather cruise have never seen or heard of anyone being discouraged from wearing shorts at breakfast or lunch.   I see no reason for them to be discouraged.   Certainly gym shorts shouldn’t be worn.  We have seen someone turned away because they were wearing shorts at dinner in Luminae.   

My husband no longer takes a tux on cruises but  he does continue to bring a sports jacket or two because he knows I like them.   Even chic nights seem rather casual now though many still do make an extra effort.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

This doesn't sound discouraging re: shorts in the daytime: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. (emphasis added)

Edited by hrhdhd

27 minutes ago, George C said:

On my cruises while people dressed better in Luminae the suite restaurant, shorts were common for breakfast and lunch . After seeing most people without jackets on the first chic night, I didn’t have one on second, again this was last cruise in July.

Evening Chic only applies to the MDR. Not Luminae, Blu or specialty restaurants. I have not heard anything about no shorts for breakfast or lunch in Luminae.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling
  • Like 3

We were on a Celebrity cruise in a Royal suite back in 2018. The printed dress code at that time even allowed good jeans in the Luminae, MDR, and specialty restaurants in the evening. It was the least formal dress code we have ever encountered on a cruise. We enjoyed the lack of formalized dress requirements.

As mentioned, for dinners, wear the same as for a nice restaurant on land.  DH wears either a collared polo style shirt, oxford style, or a shirt and tie.  Does not bring a jacket, because it's just too bulky for minimalist packing.  I bring a couple of black slacks and a skirt or two with nice blouses to mix it up.  

Daytime is mostly super casual, because we mostly are off on excursions and can get a bit rag-a-muffin looking returning to the ship.  But then we go to the buffet 🙂 

I used to pack long dress for chic night..that transitioned to cocktail dress.. now I just wear the ankle pants or nice capris with Chico style tunics and tank and my nicer jewelry. DH.. well I try to get him in a blazer, dress shirt tie and nice dress slacks for chic night.. by the second one..if there are two... dress shirt and nice slacks is all I can get him to wear.... the other evenings DH wears either a polo or dress shirt without a tie.  the way I look at it... I am never going to see these people again... so be comfortable.. and packing a lot of stuff.. well I am over that... especially extra shoes

• Like 2

I've also never felt that shorts have been discouraged in either Luminae or Blu for either lunch or breakfast.  

But I would suggest that our OP take a quick look through some of the reviews and "life from" type of posts as a number include photos.  Just look at what the folks in the photos are wearing.

And welcome to Celebrity!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

On our Edge sailing February 2020 is where I saw something about shorts and t-shirts in Luminae.  I have worn both and no one ever said anything to me. 

I was questioned one breakfast in Luminae because of a T-shirt was told shirt should have a collar , wasn’t the only one dressed that way. 

5 minutes ago, ExPAGirl said:

Thank you to everyone for sharing your suggestions and feedback.  Sounds like we will be very comfortable on this cruise! 

Ruth 

If you are diamond on rccl you will be elite on celebrity, perks aren’t as good as rccl . My first cruise on Celebrity I was elite because I was diamond on rccl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I'm not sure about Luminae discouraging shorts for Lunch unless things have changed recently.

I dropped by and asked the maitre'd if short were acceptable or we would run back to our room and change.   He said shorts are always acceptable for breakfast and lunch.   He did say that shoes are required and we ask people to remove hats while dining at all times.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExPAGirl said:

We are sailing on our first Celebrity cruise in February aboard the Reflection for 7 nights.  We have sailed many Royal ships and are very familiar with the various theme nights and dress code suggestions. If anyone could help us understand what the dress code guidelines and options are for Celebrity we would appreciate it!   TIA!

Ruth and John

There is a really good article on Celebrity Site under their blog section:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/what-to-wear-on-a-cruise

Women’s smart casual dress code: Skirt, pants, or jeans with a casual top.

Men’s smart casual dress code: Pants or jeans with a short-sleeve sport shirt.

Celebrity Cruises’ dress code for smart casual is fairly flexible, though there are some restrictions. T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. In addition, shorts and flip-flops are not permitted during the evening hours.

On Evening Chic nights, the dress code is dressier than smart casual but less so than a traditional formal night.

The Celebrity Cruises dress code for Evening Chic nights is cocktail dresses, skirts, pants, or designer jeans with an elegant top for women. For men, the dress code is pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt, or sweater, and an optional sport coat or blazer.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1