1st time on Royal - Is there anything different than Carnival?

Cant think of different requirements for papers. Check in is at 45 days, carnival at 16 or 14. Health screen is at 24 hours, carnival within 3 days. But same papers. 

Pizza hours are more limited. On rcl it didnt open until 1 pm on liberty.

Rcl can get american breakfast on room service no charge. More limited on carnival. 

Rcl better perks, but as a newbie wouldnt matter. I love the diamond lounge and free vouchers. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

You can expect it to be very familiar to what you are accustomed to on Carnival. In terms of all the basics, all the lines I've cruised have been very similar.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never done Carnival but the big thing now for Royal is their App. You will use that for check-in, the safety protocols including life-jacket and muster process, and daily activities. Documents are wither a passport or official government issues picture ID and authenticated birth certificate. You will be asked to show your proof of vaccination and proof of negative antigen or PCR covid test within the two days prior to sailing. The Windjammer buffet will be open for lunch when you board, rooms are usually open by 1-2pm. Checked bags will be delivered by dinner, usually.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

Is Chops open on Embarkation Day? It's been awhile since we've been on Royal. I try to avoid the crush in the Windjammer that first day, if possible. 

If you purchase the key it includes lunch at chops. Otherwise no. 

It's available for dinner.

• Like 1

At least in non-Covid times, RCCL has fewer, but more spectacular, entertainment activities, such as Broadway productions, Ice Shows, Aqua Shows.  Carnival has more activities, especially more comedy shows.  On recent cruises, many of the RCCL shows have been cancelled.

When we first started cruising RCCL, we observed the crew and staff to be not as friendly as Carnival, but have not seen much difference on recent cruises.

Comparing newer ships on both lines, Carnival has more "free" food dining options.  Not so much the case with older ships.

• Like 1

We routinely sail both Carnival and Royal.  Ships have a different look but most things are the same.  Carnival has a lot more comedy shows, but otherwise Royal has better entertainment.  What Royal ship are you sailing on?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We tried the Carnival Mardi Gras in November…..

We had a pretty good time, but I didn’t love it and probably won’t sail it again.

Well, that insures we won’t be going on Carnival until at least the next class comes out. Pretty sure not then either. 

• Like 1

I would say Carnival has more free food options but the big difference is that Royal does better with public spaces and activities.  Its hard to find a place where you can rock climb, ice skate, surf, put put, zip line, and all the sports court activities in one place and on the same day. Just look at the specifications:

Ship               - Tonnage -  Passengers - Length - Beam

Mardis Gras - 180,000  - 6,450             -1130      -137

Oasis Class - 226,000+- 6,700             - 1181      -154

Edited by Junkhouse
  • Like 1

Royal has always been our preferred line, Never been a huge carnival fan but sailed Mardi gras in October and absolutely loved it. Liked it much better than Oasis in fact.  The include Food options are much better than royals. Lots of "grab and go" type eating venues, which in my opinion works much better during this whole covid fiasco.  Don't foresee us going on any of their older ships but the new Excel class ships are pretty awesome.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the information.  I will definitely love the large shows!!  I am not a fan of all Carnivals trivias and music shows.  The ship looks amazing.  We are going on the harmony in an extended ocean view balcony.  One thing I do not like about the room is that it has a double sofa bed and not a seperate bunk.  My 11 year old and 17 year old do not get along and will refuse to sleep together.  I am sure one of them will be on the floor.  I'm hoping they can just make a place for her to sleep on the floor when we get there.

• Like 2

I dont know if this counts as a thing, as I might be the only one. I think the music as the main pool is too loud on carnival. People tell me that's the fun vibe. I cant stand it. I sat at the aft pool where it was quieter. I tried several times to sit out at the main pool and just cant take the music at that volumn. It didnt ruin my cruise I just sat elsewhere ... but I got off thinking I'm done with carnival for a while.

Might be a age thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I dont know if this counts as a thing, as I might be the only one. I think the music as the main pool is too loud on carnival. People tell me that's the fun vibe. I cant stand it. I sat at the aft pool where it was quieter. I tried several times to sit out at the main pool and just cant take the music at that volumn. It didnt ruin my cruise I just sat elsewhere ... but I got off thinking I'm done with carnival for a while.

Might be a age thing. 

Me personally, I strongly prefer the loud music. 

Other cruise lines, like princess, HAL, or the Haven on NCL is too quiet. Nothing is going on. It's boring. I have to constantly walk around in my headsets listening to music. 

It's probably an age thing as I am in my early 30s. 

Edited by DrSea
  • Like 2

Funny, you have the same number of cruises on Carnival I did before our first Royal cruise on Serenade. 

No difference in Documents

Checking in went much smoother for us on our Royal Cruises than any of our Carnival Cruises.

Food was better on Royal by a bit, but many of the things we love were for a fee on Royal that are free on Carnival. Burgers and tacos come to mind.

Getting off the ship was a much better experience on Royal. Carnival has always felt like a cattle drive anytime they move many passengers. They just never seem to get that right. 

Many things I love much more on a Royal ship. The entertainment is better, the food is better, the service is better, and the atmosphere is better for me. 

But some things Carnival does better. There is much more to do on a Carnival ship and much later into the night. We are night owls. The lido deck on a Carnival ship will be hopping most sea days, not so much on a Royal ship. Much less additional cost options once you board on a Carnival ship. Not that there are not upsell venues, just many more on a Royal ship.  

• Like 2

In some ways Royal made me appreciate Carnival more. I used to lament the hard party atmosphere, but then found I did miss it a bit on Royal. So later when I cruised Carnival on some four day cruise at a ridiculous price and the party is just wild, I realize that is what Carnival is good at and I try to appreciate it. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Funny, you have the same number of cruises on Carnival I did before our first Royal cruise on Serenade. 

No difference in Documents

Checking in went much smoother for us on our Royal Cruises than any of our Carnival Cruises.

Food was better on Royal by a bit, but many of the things we love were for a fee on Royal that are free on Carnival. Burgers and tacos come to mind.

Getting off the ship was a much better experience on Royal. Carnival has always felt like a cattle drive anytime they move many passengers. They just never seem to get that right. 

Many things I love much more on a Royal ship. The entertainment is better, the food is better, the service is better, and the atmosphere is better for me. 

But some things Carnival does better. There is much more to do on a Carnival ship and much later into the night. We are night owls. The lido deck on a Carnival ship will be hopping most sea days, not so much on a Royal ship. Much less additional cost options once you board on a Carnival ship. Not that there are not upsell venues, just many more on a Royal ship.  

I miss tacos on carnival too. I want crispy shells or they are just soft whatever's.  Not tacos. 

My liberty in dec had tacos unlike my 3 prior carnival sailings. Point to what you want and they make them. Rcl wins for free tacos.

Newer ships have wipe out cafe with free tacos and hot dogs and pizza. 

No tacos on carnival. Just soft tacos.   Or burritos.. I never found any. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sharon&family said:

Thanks for all the information.  I will definitely love the large shows!!  I am not a fan of all Carnivals trivias and music shows.  The ship looks amazing.  We are going on the harmony in an extended ocean view balcony.  One thing I do not like about the room is that it has a double sofa bed and not a seperate bunk.  My 11 year old and 17 year old do not get along and will refuse to sleep together.  I am sure one of them will be on the floor.  I'm hoping they can just make a place for her to sleep on the floor when we get there.

The Harmony is an amazing ship.  Sounds like your stateroom will be very tight with your teen and pre-teen.  There is so much to do on that ship, though so they should be out of the room most of the time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sharon&family said:

One thing to know about the sofabeds on the newer Royal Caribbean ships is that they pull out like a trundle bed.  You can ask for the trundle portion to be made up at the lower height so each of the kids will have their own defined space.  Might help keep the fights under control and no one is sleeping on the floor. 🙂  This is a picture from Anthem but they have the same type sofabeds as Harmony.

May be an image of bedroom

• Like 2