Quarantine?

Just now, moonltnite said:

It'd be interesting to know how many people are identified as "close contacts" on cruises lately, that end up testing negative - vs those that end up positive and are counted as Covid.  

A person on one of my cruise  FB pages was in close contact to friends who tested positive.  He tells me reservations were linked and they had drinks/dinner together every night.   He tested negative but was forced to quarantine in his cabin.   He had to get off the ship when it returned to port rather than continue with his two more planned B2B cruises.   This was last weekend and he is still testing negative.  

M

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

A person on one of my cruise  FB pages was in close contact to friends who tested positive.  He tells me reservations were linked and they had drinks/dinner together every night.   He tested negative but was forced to quarantine in his cabin.   He had to get off the ship when it returned to port rather than continue with his two more planned B2B cruises.   This was last weekend and he is still testing negative.  

Wow, I haven’t heard of a situation like that before!  We do B2Bs, so that scares me.

• Like 1

the debarkation morning we had to go to guest services because my mom's cc was hacked. while in line there were 4 people (not related or friends with each other) who had to be moved and quarantined because another person in their party tested positive. they we all PO'ed because no one brought them food or water since the day before and no luggage tags either. I would be HOT. Dont lock me in a room and not provide basic services! 

I ended up having caught it also but didnt realize until that morning that my symptoms were covid and not my auto immune issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D4 said:

Wow, I haven’t heard of a situation like that before!  We do B2Bs, so that scares me.

ME TOO!    So weird that the person who tested negative still had to get off and not complete the B2B.    We have an upcoming B2b next month. I may be anti-social the first week.   

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

the debarkation morning we had to go to guest services because my mom's cc was hacked. while in line there were 4 people (not related or friends with each other) who had to be moved and quarantined because another person in their party tested positive. they we all PO'ed because no one brought them food or water since the day before and no luggage tags either. I would be HOT. Dont lock me in a room and not provide basic services! 

I ended up having caught it also but didnt realize until that morning that my symptoms were covid and not my auto immune issue.  

Wow! What ship was this and when was the cruise?

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

Wow that would stink. Lol maybe I should eat alone.

• Like 1

If you are forced to stay in your cabin due to a close contact - I agree, basic services should be provided.  If you end up testing negative - you shouldn't have to leave the ship before the end of the cruise!  They also should give you some kind of compensation for losing time on your cruise - stuck in your cabin... particularly if longer than an hour or so!  

We are going to "isolate" to some degree at home the 10 days prior to our cruise on March 6th.  We had Covid (caught after Christmas from a relative that didn't know he had Covid when with us Christmas Eve) - and tested negative a week after we first tested positive.  Based on our cold-like symptoms, and the prevalence of Omicron - we are pretty sure that's the variant we had. 

We won't go out to eat those 10 days - and will only go out when masked (KN95s).  I know we are likely pretty safe for 3 months after having Covid... but I don't want to risk a positive test that would prevent us from cruising! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, puggylicious said:

Moving you from your cabin doesn’t seem right. There’s no reason you can’t quarantine there.  

It makes perfect sense. I don't know why so many seem confused by the protocol. 

They don't have the manpower to ensure you don't leave your cabin with quarantined folks all over the ship. If they're all in one area it's easier to monitor, and even if they get briefly out they're in an area with other positive folks.

It also makes sense as a precaution in case any positive folks need attention from the medical team. Easier if everyone is in one spot - and for most ships they're close to medical bay. 

Also they have extra precautions/sanitation in dealing with positive folks so it's easier to ensure protocol is followed when it's specific cabins that always have that protocol enacted. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, puggylicious said:

Moving you from your cabin doesn’t seem right. There’s no reason you can’t quarantine there.  

Oh yes there is.  In addition to what smplybcause pointed out, it's undoubtedly much easier for them to deliver things (food, drinks, etc.) to a limited area rather than having to deliver all over the ship.  Also, quarantined people are able to put their trash (and possibly used towels) out in a quarantine area hallway rather than in random hallways throughout the ship.  And when it comes time to disembark a quarantined passenger, they can easily be walked out from a limited area rather than through many floors/hallways around the ship, near other people.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, D4 said:

Yeah I only do B4B or longer and even before CV always prepared bringing things like double my Meds. Traveling SOLO always in back of my head accident, sickness and be alone in another Country. Was on a Tour few yrs ago, canceled last min and the Bus had accident resulting in Deaths/Injuries. Won the Lotto that day. Now with CV hate one leg get messed up ruining rest over a random close contact. Still Cruise but always prepared and ready roll with Changes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puggylicious said:

Not sure however it might have to do with their air handling system.

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

I am pretty sure the "friends" you are referring to are my kids' god-parents. There is even more to the story. They had both tested positive to Covid several weeks ago. Both asymptomatic but their parents (in their late 80s) were systematic (but both are perfectly well now). They were doing B2B2B2B2B2B2B. They missed their first B due to a lingering positive but had a clean bill of health for the second. Went through another 6-8 negative tests over the next two weeks while on the cruise (since had to take a test whenever they got off at certain ports). One tested positive on day 6 of the 2nd cruise. Follow-up test had them both positive. RCL put them in a hotel in San Juan and is sending them home tomorrow (after 5 days). They continue to be 100% asymptomatic. Their friends that they ate dinner with were basically just told "sorry. You have been exposed. Go home." with supposedly no help or assistance from RCL. Needless to say, my kids' god-parents are absolutely heart-broken as to the situation and how their friends were treated. Really bizarre case (fully vaccinated, already had Omicron a few weeks back, followed all RCL protocols, and then supposedly positive again a few weeks later).     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

You quarantine in your room as a close contact - you isolate to the red zone if you test positive.  Our quarantine as close contacts was 24 hours

24 hours doesnt seem like a lot. Its quite a short quarantine if you ask me. What is the purpose anyway? I heard this thing can still be infectious for like 60 days or something. I wonder when this pandemic will end.. 

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

M

Thus is the first time I have heard of a B2B passenger (close contact) being asked to leave despite a negative test.  I feel badly for them.

Maybe the issue arises when we consider the health questionnaire we all must complete to sail.  As I recall, it asks if a close contact has had covid within a certain number of days (I do not recall the number of days…maybe 10 or 14…maybe somebody else knows all the current questions).  I believe people who answer “yes” to that question are denied boarding; perhaps they applied the same criterion to the B2B passengers.   Call it “anti-social” if you must, but I tried hard to avoid that circumstance on the first half of my recent b2b as the second half was important to me.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, RockHoundTX said:

I am pretty sure the "friends" you are referring to are my kids' god-parents. There is even more to the story. They had both tested positive to Covid several weeks ago. Both asymptomatic but their parents (in their late 80s) were systematic (but both are perfectly well now). They were doing B2B2B2B2B2B2B. They missed their first B due to a lingering positive but had a clean bill of health for the second. Went through another 6-8 negative tests over the next two weeks while on the cruise (since had to take a test whenever they got off at certain ports). One tested positive on day 6 of the 2nd cruise. Follow-up test had them both positive. RCL put them in a hotel in San Juan and is sending them home tomorrow (after 5 days). They continue to be 100% asymptomatic. Their friends that they ate dinner with were basically just told "sorry. You have been exposed. Go home." with supposedly no help or assistance from RCL. Needless to say, my kids' god-parents are absolutely heart-broken as to the situation and how their friends were treated. Really bizarre case (fully vaccinated, already had Omicron a few weeks back, followed all RCL protocols, and then supposedly positive again a few weeks later).     

Sort of/must be.   The person was not  diagnosed with Covid, but the friends that had to "go home" .  Person wrote about the friend's SJ hotel   accommodations.   I hope that your kids Godparents will be OK 

We cruised on Adventure this month, and from what we learned aboard that ship, my understanding of the word QUARANTINE is that it's what happens when someone tests POSITIVE.  The passenger is moved to a cabin in a QUARANTINE area and provided with room service, movies, and internet, but no daily housekeeping.  

If a passenger is a close contact of someone who tests positive, the close contact person ISOLATES in their own cabin for 24 hours, also with room service and without housekeeping.  That person is then tested.  If the test is negative, then he/she can resume the cruise.  If the test is positive, he/she is moved to a QUARANTINE room. 

These were the protocols used on Adventure of the Seas on the Jan 3-7 cruise.  Nobody was disembarked mid cruise.

Edited by foxgoodrich
spelling
  • Like 2