COVID REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAVEL TO UK EASED FROM 11th FEB.

John Bull

Good news - but It might be an idea to open a big bottle of headache pills and fix a coffee or something stronger before wading thro this up-date 😉

Covid rules for ENGLAND are being relaxed on 11th Fub., after which fully-vaccinated visitors will not be required to test at all.

Fully-vaccinated means two doses of an approved vaccine (or a single dose of an approved single-dose vaccine like J&J) from an approved source. I'm pretty certain that most countries' vaccines & sources are approved.

The second (or the only J&J) vaccination must be at least 14 days before travel in order to qualify as "fully-vaccinated"

A third or booster dose is not required.

Those aged under 18 do not have to be vaccinated, they are treated the same as being fully vaccinated.

Proof of natural immunity is not acceptable - Novac Djokovic please note 😉.

Un-vaccinated visitors must test before and after travel, but do not have to quarantine unless they test positive.

Regardless of vaccination status, foreign nationals who have been to a country on England's Red List in the previous ten days will be refused entry. But there are currently NO countries on that Red List.

These rules are for England - other parts of the UK have their own rules, though they broadly follow England's rules, often a little later.

If you enter the UK via Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, check their entry requirements (linked on the website at the foot of this post). But once in the UK there are no checks or restrictions on travel between UK countries, altho' there may be minor rule differences within each country eg mask-wearing & crowding.

The Irish Republic. UK countries & the Irish Republic form a Common Travel Area (CTA) - kinda like a mini-Schengen.

But there have been Covid travel restrictions to the Irish Republic even from the UK, including mandatory quarantining. The quarantining ended last September, but if you plan to enter the CTA via the Irish Republic (some North American visitors fly via Dublin) or to visit the Irish Republic from the UK you need to check their requirements (Currently Round Britain cruises call at Irish ports, so hopefully its not an issue)

I've tried to provide the basics in this post, but please don't shoot me for any errors or omissions.

The full details are linked on the govt website below below, but are a little confusing because they reflect current regulations with links to the 11th Feb changes. If it's too heavy for you, bookmark the page & check it out after 11th Feb.

Also bear in mind the rules & requirements of your own country, your airline & your cruise ship.

And rules change frequently depending on changes in circumstances, so do try to keep up-to-date.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19#changes-to-international-travel-rules-from-11-february-2022

JB 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just re-checked the government page that I linked in my last post - because we're now well past 11th February the pre-11th Feb. rules for travel no longer appear, making them much simpler to read and understand 🙂

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19#changes-to-international-travel-rules-from-11-february-2022

And most internal Covid rules in England (masks, distancing, isolation etc) will be dis-continued from tomorrow 23rd Feb. & the rest from 1st April - such things are now a matter of advice & not law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60467183

I'll keep an eye open for other UK countries following suit, and for any changes in the international travel rules.

Covid infections and particularly hospitalisations in the UK and most (all?) of Europe have fallen significantly in the past 6 - 7 weeks 🙂

Fingers crossed 🤞

JB 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

What's the Passenger Locator form and what does that do or mean?  And can you be DQ'd from entering the country based on what you put on the form?

It's an on-line form at

https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

You need to do it within the last 48 hours before you arrive.

If this is a single trip, skip "setting up an account".

I can't progress thro the form without putting in my details, so I'm advising you blind, but if you're cruising, the name of the ship "from Southampton" should do.

And I can't think that there'd be any questions that risk you being DQ'd, but if you're not fully vaxed they'll need the details of your test appontment

JB 🙂

• Like 1

To John Bull

I am fully vaxed and boosted but will likely need to get a Covid test in London  two days before cruise embarkation to board the ship.  I will pay and schedule the antigen test before leaving the US.  Should I mention the Covid test on the form. I don’t want to raise any flags. 

Edited by ncgolferette

3 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

To John Bull

I am fully vaxed and boosted but will likely need to get a Covid test in London  two days before cruise embarkation to board the ship.  I will pay and schedule the antigen test before leaving the US.  Should I mention the Covid test on the form. I don’t want to raise any flags. 

Just for your own peace of mind, or a requirement of the cruise line or a port?

Because you're already double-dosed (no requirement to have had the booster), you don't need to mention a planned test on the locator form.

I doubt it would raise any flags but it could result in an admin error, and since there's no need..........

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

Thanks.  I’m thinking that a negative Covid test result might still be a requirement to board the ship in April.  I was hoping that your response would be not to mention the antigen test while staying in London pre cruise.

Any test to board your ship is completely irrelevant to the UK authorities.

11 hours ago, ncgolferette said:

Should I mention the Covid test on the form. I don’t want to raise any flags. 

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that someone actually reads these forms! They are essentially a data and contact details collection exercise, not an application to enter the country. Airlines and Border Control will merely check that a form has been completed. 

I fully expect that the UK’s PLF will either be radically simplified or abolished by Easter in any case. 

20 hours ago, John Bull said:

It's an on-line form at

https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

If this is a single trip, skip "setting up an account".

I can't progress thro the form without putting in my details, so I'm advising you blind, but if you're cruising, the name of the ship "from Southampton" should do.

And I can't think that there'd be any questions that risk you being DQ'd, but if you're not fully vaxed they'll need the details of your test appontment

JB 🙂

Yes, I got the same thing when I started to fill it out - I needed to set up an account.  Fully vaxxed so not worried.  And not convinced this form will still be needed this summer when I'm there.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Yes, I got the same thing when I started to fill it out - I needed to set up an account.  Fully vaxxed so not worried.  And not convinced this form will still be needed this summer when I'm there.

When you hit the "start" button, the "no"  button at the top of the next page sends you to a page that doesn't require an account.

Like so much over-complicated and user-unfriendly stuff that comes from the civil service, the thinking is presumably "why put that option on the first or even second page, when you can create a third page for it" 🙄.

The idea of setting up an account is so that folk who go in & out frequently - truck drivers, ships' crews, aircrew, and some who commute between the UK & Europe (yes, we have international commuters) don't have to fill out a form every time.

JB 🙂

(member of the for-pity's-sake speak plain english society)  😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 2:17 PM, John Bull said:

Thanks for all of this.  I do have a follow-up question on the timing of the completion and submission of the passenger locator form.  You have stated that this must be done within the last 48 hours before you arrive.  From the UK government website it says: "You need to do this in the 3 days before you arrive in England."

So I'm confused about whether it is 48 hours or 3 days before arrival.

For example, I am planning to arrive from the US on an overnight flight that arrives in England on 

Thursday, April 21.  So I thought that the form would need  to be submitted at any time from Monday, April 18 up to and including Wednesday, April 20.  Am I misreading or misunderstanding the requirements.

Your advice would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

You have stated that this must be done within the last 48 hours before you arrive.  From the UK government website it says: "You need to do this in the 3 days before you arrive in England."

With the greatest respect to m'learned colleague, I think you should take the official government statement over something on a forum on the internet!

To be fair, the change to any time in the three days before arrival is a recent one, coming into effect only on Monday this week, so no doubt JB has not yet had time to update his thread! 

3 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

From the UK government website it says: "You need to do this in the 3 days before you arrive in England."

For example, I am planning to arrive from the US on an overnight flight that arrives in England on 

Thursday, April 21.  So I thought that the form would need  to be submitted at any time from Monday, April 18 up to and including Wednesday, April 20.  Am I misreading or misunderstanding the requirements.

Your advice would be appreciated.

45 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

With the greatest respect to m'learned colleague, I think you should take the official government statement over something on a forum on the internet!

To be fair, the change to any time in the three days before arrival is a recent one, coming into effect only on Monday this week, so no doubt JB has not yet had time to update his thread! 

The Eagle has hit the nail on the head.

When I posted on 22nd of last month I had needed the info for myself, to return home from Spain - it said 48 hours.

I'm quite glad you posted, because now it does indeed say  "You can submit the form any time in the 3 days before you arrive in the UK" (or up to 19 days before if you're on a cruise).

And that makes life a good deal simpler for me too.🙂

Yes, always rely on official websites rather than well-meaning folk on social media, incl Cruise Critic.

Its why I always try to include links

JB 🙂

• Like 1

We need to do the Locator form 3 days before entering Britain.

We will return to Britain from a 14 day cruise and fly out the same day.

Do we have to do the Locator again 3 days before we return to Britain?

Edited by phabric

3 minutes ago, phabric said:

We need to do the Locator form 3 days before entering Britain.

We will return to Britain from a cruise and fly out the same day.

Do we have to do the Locator again 3 days before we return to Britain?

According to the link below, provided that you leave the UK within 24 hours you are regarded as being "in transit". Even though you're entering & leaving from different locations, you're regarded as being in-transit.

Read the section "Landside transit"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-air-travel-guidance-for-passengers#transiting-through-england

My reading is that you need to complete a form, but select the "transit exemption"

JB 🙂

5 hours ago, phabric said:

Do you have to show anything (paper or digital) at the airport that you completed the locator form?

Yes, airlines will want to see it before check-in (if checking in online, they may have some way of uploading it for verification) and you may need to show it to Border Force at the UK border. As a Brit, I can’t speak to others’ experiences, but the last two times I came through I didn’t need to show it, not least because I used the eGates at the border. Reliance is being placed on the airlines policing it. 

Best to download it to your phone (NB if using an iPhone, due to a security glitch it won’t be attached to the email you receive once completed, you’ll have to click a link and download it) and have a printed copy too, in my opinion.