Walking Track on Edge-class ships

Wiseask

My wife and I are veteran Celebrity cruisers but have yet to sail on the Edge-class. We are both dedicated deck walkers and other passengers on our cruises will recognize us doing 40 rounds each day on the outdoor track. 

As we are considering booking an Edge-class cruise, we are concerned about the ramped walking tracks spanning two decks on these ships, because our preference is to walk on a level track. 

Has anyone heard about or experienced directly any difficulties in walking these tracks which incline up two decks? In other words, is the incline gradual and comfortable — or not. I realize the answers may differ from person to person but I am asking for your thoughts nonetheless. 

Thanks. 

We were on the Edge 1/2 - 1/9/22. I’m a 61 y/o “relapsed” walker that decided to use the cruise to get back into a daily walking routine. I found the track easy to use. The incline takes up about 40% of the length of the ship, so it’s pretty gradual. I didn’t have any issues, and didn’t notice anyone else having issues either. I also enjoyed how wide the track is, and that it has two clearly marked lanes - walking and running. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

My wife and I are veteran Celebrity cruisers but have yet to sail on the Edge-class. We are both dedicated deck walkers and other passengers on our cruises will recognize us doing 40 rounds each day on the outdoor track. 

As we are considering booking an Edge-class cruise, we are concerned about the ramped walking tracks spanning two decks on these ships, because our preference is to walk on a level track. 

Has anyone heard about or experienced directly any difficulties in walking these tracks which incline up two decks? In other words, is the incline gradual and comfortable — or not. I realize the answers may differ from person to person but I am asking for your thoughts nonetheless. 

Thanks. 

In health and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Wiseask said:

Thanks. 

Just off the Apex and I spent many an hour doing my laps. The incline is only about a 100 yard section spanning the pool deck, not very steep. The best thing about this track is that it is almost a 1/4 mile and is less crowded than other ships that are full of chairs and tables. Best ship walking/jogging track that I have ever seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I’ll chime in also. Did the track on all of the Celebrity Class ships and the E-Class track is the best of all. I’m 76 and my wife can ‘feel’ any real incline/climb and she wasn’t bothered at all. We enjoyed it.

den

• Like 1

It's a small incline that I found to be a nice change from the tracks on other ships.  On our last cruise, we were on Summit and docked next to Edge at one port.  As I did my laps, I looked longingly at Edge, wishing I could be back on that track!

Edited by hiccups
  • Like 1

All of your replies have been very helpful and we thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. My wife has advised me that the October 2021 Apex T/A we had to cancel (with great regret) she’s already rescheduled to October 2022, so we’ll see you on deck on the walking track. 🙂

• Like 1

I walk 10 miles a day and love the Edge class ships.    The incline is very gradual and I find it nice to give a little extra cardio.  I've seen people negotiate the track in non-powered wheel chairs and they didn't seem to be struggling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwlane said:

.21 miles per lap.  This is what 2 miles looks like in port at Piraeus.

apex mals.png

Love it.   I once had mine on using GPS while at sea at it said I walked 50 miles.   I took a double take until I realized it was tracking my position and the ship was moving.

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Love it.   I once had mine on using GPS while at sea at it said I walked 50 miles.   I took a double take until I realized it was tracking my position and the ship was moving.

🤣🤣DH had a tracker that counted the distance he went in the car!  A quick trip to tge grocery store was 23 miles.  Calorie burn not so great.

17 hours ago, kearney said:

Nice thing about the reduced crowds over the last few months ... has been the ease of walking. Last cruise I was able to walk each morning with few people to get around ... it was nice.

Indeed. We just completed a cruise on the Reflection that was only 26% full. The ship was virtually empty, which was both surreal, sad and wonderful all at the same time. Thanks to the protective bubble that Celebrity created for us on board, we felt safer on the ship than we did on land. I’m pleased to report that our cruise was Covid-free and the walking track on Deck 15 we had almost all to ourselves.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

Indeed. We just completed a cruise on the Reflection that was only 26% full. The ship was virtually empty, which was both surreal, sad and wonderful all at the same time. Thanks to the protective bubble that Celebrity created for us on board, we felt safer on the ship than we did on land. I’m pleased to report that our cruise was Covid-free and the walking track on Deck 15 we had almost all to ourselves.

While I did not miss the crowds during embarkation day or on the last day... I have to admit... I did meet the forced meeting of other that comes from a crowded bar... when strangers take the open seats next to you ... and over the course of the cruise you come to know various new people.. On an emptier ship with social distancing it was harder to meet people.. Oh you still had some of that...but back in the captains cocktail hours in the Sky lounge..over the course of a week you would see the same people and by the end of the cruise be sharing contact information and shoot the occasional email about your next trip... that just didn't happen this last cruise... So I actually look forward to a larger crowd.. Now I will admit..we are not pool people...so... if we were... I might have a different POV

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

While I did not miss the crowds during embarkation day or on the last day... I have to admit... I did meet the forced meeting of other that comes from a crowded bar... when strangers take the open seats next to you ... and over the course of the cruise you come to know various new people.. On an emptier ship with social distancing it was harder to meet people. Oh you still had some of that...but back in the captains cocktail hours in the Sky lounge..over the course of a week you would see the same people and by the end of the cruise be sharing contact information and shoot the occasional email about your next trip... that just didn't happen this last cruise... So I actually look forward to a larger crowd. Now I will admit…we are not pool people... so... if we were... I might have a different POV

Welcome to cruising in the Covid era, which comes with its pluses and minuses, some of which you mention. We were traveling with another couple and still managed to meet other passengers, usually at the bars and cafés where wearing masks were not required. The majority of passengers appeared to be veteran cruisers like us and a few we recognized from former cruises. I agree that with far fewer people to load and unload the embarkation and debarkation were never quicker, but the Fitness Center was practically deserted since a workout was impossibly uncomfortable with masks. The buffet in the Oceanview was never better: there were no lines or waiting for anything, seating was never problematic, and frankly from a purely hygienic perspective I preferred the crew serving the food over passengers taking it for themselves.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseask said:

Welcome to cruising in the Covid era, which comes with its pluses and minuses, some of which you mention. We were traveling with another couple and still managed to meet other passengers, usually at the bars and cafés where wearing masks were not required. The majority of passengers appeared to be veteran cruisers like us and a few we recognized from former cruises. I agree that with far fewer people to load and unload the embarkation and debarkation were never quicker, but the Fitness Center was practically deserted since a workout was impossibly uncomfortable with masks. The buffet in the Oceanview was never better: there were no lines or waiting for anything, seating was never problematic, and frankly from a purely hygienic perspective I preferred the crew serving the food over passengers taking it for themselves.  

I agree with the crew serving food...for a number of reasons... more hygienic..but also.. less waste and less likely to overeat... I was concerned about gaining weight on my Dec cruise... but between walking and having serving in the buffet.. I didn't gain any weight. I just hope I can maintain the discipline..next cruise.  I hope masking will not be required on my next cruise.

8 hours ago, kearney said:

I agree with the crew serving food...for a number of reasons... more hygienic..but also.. less waste and less likely to overeat... I was concerned about gaining weight on my Dec cruise.

I also agree with you about food waste as folks just piled in since they can.

On a recent cruise in November, during Captain questions session, the question came up.

The Hotel and Food manager said that waste is down 50% which is a good thing.   

I also agree being served in buffet is still a good thing. But let us get our own drinks please.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I also agree with you about food waste as folks just piled in since they can.

On a recent cruise in November, during Captain questions session, the question came up.

The Hotel and Food manager said that waste is down 50% which is a good thing.   

I also agree being served in buffet is still a good thing. But let us get our own drinks please.

on our early Dec cruise we were able to get beverages.. I assume that has changed with Omicron?