Weather Concerns

4 hours ago, xtremegk said:

With the current forecast track, you could try to drive the 3 hrs (+ additional slowdown time due to weather) to Albany and see if you can get a flight out of there. But that is dependent on the storm maintaining its current track and roads not being horrible early Saturday morning.

I live near Sm-Albany. Forget trying to get a flight out of here to FL on short notice. It's hard enough when you book well in advance! That's why we drive to Newark a lot to fly. 

OP, good luck, I do hope you make it! We are on Anthem 2/11 and weather is always my biggest concern. More for my dogs and the pet sitters than us!

4 hours ago, gmerick said:

At least your rowboat leaves from a sunny shore.  Let's worry about what could be a real problem:  Anthem departs Monday afternoon from Newark.  If NYC is supposed to get a foot of snow over the weekend where does that leave things?   Will the boat come in?  Will the planes land?  Can a taxi get from the airport to the pier?  This could be a real mess.

I thought I was getting out of the winter -- I live in North Dakota where it's 20 below, and we don't even mention that weather term for wimps called "wind chill".  When it's brisk and breezy here, even polar bears or penguns are looking for shelter.

Are you flying into Ewr sunday or monday?  As much as I would hate to do you are probably better off if in flying in monday morning to board Anthem.  Everything should be cleared by then.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Are you flying into Ewr sunday or monday?  As much as I would hate to do you are probably better off if in flying in monday morning to board Anthem.  Everything should be cleared by then.

Can't get from here to there leaving Monday.  Taking a flight to Chicago on Sunday and hoping for the best.  Worst case, I sleep in a terminal somewhere and get rebooked to EWR on Monday.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xtremegk said:

With the current forecast track, you could try to drive the 3 hrs (+ additional slowdown time due to weather) to Albany and see if you can get a flight out of there. But that is dependent on the storm maintaining its current track and roads not being horrible early Saturday morning.

We are flying out of Albany on Saturday afternoon to MCO. 

15 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

For all those advocating driving... if the storm is bad enough to shut down the airports, is it REALLY a good idea to be driving?  

OP, assuming you can't leave work (day off or work remote) on Friday, I think the best bet is to keep fingers crossed that you can fly out at some point on Saturday, or (heaven forbid) Sunday morning. 

Or, cancel.  

The storm is scheduled to start at literally 11pm Friday night. I would leave as early as I could muster and get as far south as I could as fast as I could. Can we stop to pee? Here is a bottle and a funnel! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, asalligo said:

The storm is scheduled to start at literally 11pm Friday night. I would leave as early as I could muster and get as far south as I could as fast as I could. Can we stop to pee? Here is a bottle and a funnel! 

The OP said they don't get off work until 11p, that's why their flight is scheduled so late.  If they can leave early enough to drive, they can catch an earlier flight.  As pointed out, the storm is supposed to hit the entire eastern seaboard.  So you may get stuck somewhere.  Which is exactly my point.  If the storm is bad enough to shut down airports, you probably don't want to be driving in it.

• Like 1

I think you have no choice if you want to go on this cruise, you have to make your move on Friday by air, or Thursday Night by Car.

Sat 29 | Day

23°

99%
N 27 mph

Watching a potential winter storm. Snow along with gusty winds at times. High 23F. Winds N at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 8 to 12 inches of snow expected.

• Humidity75%
  • UV Index1 of 10
  • Sunrise7:00 am
  • Sunset4:54 pm

Sat 29 | Night

11°

87%
NW 26 mph

Watching a potential winter storm. Windy. Snow in the evening will taper to a few snow showers overnight. Low 11F. Winds NW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 90%. 3 to 5 inches of snow expected.

• Like 1

If you just must try to go out on Saturday, maybe chance it and take this flight early Saturday Morning before Airport closes

Saturday January 29th
5:30am - 9:07am
Boston (BOS) - Miami (MIA)
3h 37m (Nonstop)
b6_sq.svg
JetBlue Airways • JetBlue Airways 4149 operated by American Airlines
$74$74
One way per traveler
3 cleaning and safety practices

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

the storm is late friday night into saturday. i don't get off work until 11pm on friday.. so friday isn't possible. we're trying to come up with alternative plans, but this would be crushing. we're in a 2-bedroom grand suite for the first time, and this cruise has been planned since feb. 2019.

Drive down Friday night.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bajathree said:

I am going to say cancel. You have bad weather from your departure point and you are going into a COLD FL this weekend...highs of only 50 and 60's in south FL lows in 40's ....even The Bahamas will only be in the 60's this coming weekend.

Me too. What’s the point of jumping through all these hoops to be cold on a Caribbean cruise. I’d take it as a sign and reschedule.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416
  • Like 2

Just now, poocher said:

Look at the path of the storm.

I just did and that looks like a mess.  I will drive in just about anything, so I'm probably not a good person to say go for it.

At this point I would probably wait until as late as possible and then cancel, because honestly, the OP probably isn't going to make it by relying on Saturday flights.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If you just must try to go out on Saturday, maybe chance it and take this flight early Saturday Morning before Airport closes

Saturday January 29th
5:30am - 9:07am
Boston (BOS) - Miami (MIA)
3h 37m (Nonstop)
b6_sq.svg
JetBlue Airways • JetBlue Airways 4149 operated by American Airlines
$74$74
One way per traveler
3 cleaning and safety practices

The storm is starting Friday night late in the Boston area.  Very doubtful that plane even comes into Boston Friday night.  The airlines will not want the planes and crews stuck in an airport that likely has little or any flights going out all day Saturday.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Me too. What’s the point of jumping through all these hoops to be cold on a Caribbean cruise. I’d take it as a sign and reschedule.

How silly is that?  It's a weeklong cruise to the Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean.  You're going to cancel because the departure port is cold for the afternoon of the first day?  The weather forecast for the rest of the week through the Caribbean looks glorious.

Don't ever take a cruise from MD/NJ/NY in the winter.  You'll never be able to tolerate the first two solid days of the sailing.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The storm is starting Friday night late in the Boston area.  Very doubtful that plane even comes into Boston Friday night.  The airlines will not want the planes and crews stuck in an airport that likely has little or any flights going out all day Saturday.  

Even for the early flights, I can see them doing that for anything after 10am. Can't their crews keep the runways open with maybe 1 inch an hour of snow for maybe 4 or 5 inches of snow on the runway at 5:30am...... Seems they should be able to handle that?

5 minutes ago, DevonfromAcme said:

How silly is that?  It's a weeklong cruise to the Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean.  You're going to cancel because the departure port is cold for the afternoon of the first day?  The weather forecast for the rest of the week through the Caribbean looks glorious.

Don't ever take a cruise from MD/NJ/NY in the winter.  You'll never be able to tolerate the first two solid days of the sailing.

I have done all three and learned that it’s better to spend a few hundred bucks more to fly to FL and avoid 4 days of cold/chilly weather. If I cruise in the winter it’s to get warm and lay in the sun. I don’t spend all my time inside. And with this unusually cold weather even down south I say no thank you.

So silly is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Even for the early flights, I can see them doing that for anything after 10am. Can't their crews keep the runways open with maybe 1 inch an hour of snow for maybe 4 or 5 inches of snow on the runway at 5:30am...... Seems they should be able to handle that?

Sure, they can clear the runways but we are also expecting sustained high winds.  Historically, the airlines do not bring all the planes into airports in storms like this.  Not going to go around in circles with you on this.  Flights on the eastern seaboard are going to be a mess all weekend.

• Like 5

Okay, well the original poster IS flying to Florida.  And they're leaving that afternoon.  For the Caribbean.

So yeah, cancelling a cruise because it's going to be in the 50's for, literally, half of your first day is silly.

But hey, you do you.  More cruise space for the rest of us.

5 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I have done all three and learned that it’s better to spend a few hundred bucks more to fly to FL and avoid 4 days of cold/chilly weather. If I cruise in the winter it’s to get warm and lay in the sun. I don’t spend all my time inside. And with this unusually cold weather even down south I say no thank you.

So silly is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

5 minutes ago, DevonfromAcme said:

Okay, well the original poster IS flying to Florida.  And they're leaving that afternoon.  For the Caribbean.

So yeah, cancelling a cruise because it's going to be in the 50's for, literally, half of your first day is silly.

But hey, you do you.  More cruise space for the rest of us.

Relax buddy…we all have different opinions and none are more right than the other in this case. It’s a cruise question, not a national health or security question. 

The OP also has to try to fly out during a Nor’easter…..

Enjoy your chilly winter cruise and all the space I’ll be leaving open for you. It seems like you need a vacation 😊

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, gmerick said:

Can't get from here to there leaving Monday.  Taking a flight to Chicago on Sunday and hoping for the best.  Worst case, I sleep in a terminal somewhere and get rebooked to EWR on Monday.

You should be okay getting in on Sunday -- so many ORD-EWR flights that even if some are delayed or cancelled, there are plenty of options to fill in. United is even using 767s on that route these days.

changed the flight to 530am saturday... we are crossing our fingers. it looks like the plane we'll be flying out on gets in friday night at 9:35pm.. before anything starts. and it will probably only be an inch on the ground by the take we take off.   thanks everyone for your advice!

• Like 5

I’m not sure if you have made a decision, I haven’t read all the comments, but I would take off Friday and drive down. Judging by your screen name, anything else sounds way too stressful to me.  
Years ago before we moved permanently to FL, we planned to come down for Christmas. A huge snow storm was forecasted the day we were to drive. We drove to work, picked up what we needed to bring down to do there and got on the road the day before the storm was coming. The storm was at our back the entire way through to So Carolina.  Turned out people were stranded in VA on 95 for more than a day. 

if it were me, I would drive down. So much less stressful. I wish you luck.